Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

LPC vol2 #2 - action film - heros & baddies

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Japhir wrote: »
    so the next thing I'm gonna try is export the head to an obj, reimport it in a new scene and start from scratch there.

You could try that with the body itself as well, honestly. Maybe it's just the scene that is effed up.

Or try making a new box primitive, attach the body to it, and then delete the box polygons. This is also a way to fix objects which are somehow corrupted.
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remmers polycounter lvl 7
    Eey people,

This is my first post on the forum!

okay to the point, some math.

Beat 'm Up game + Movie action hero == ???

Chuck Norris ofcourse!

chuck-norris-002.jpg

And so i started on Mr. Norris (he said i can call him Chuck)

Chuckfacewire.jpgChuckSSone.jpgChuckwire.jpg

Tell me what you think!
    Polycount so far: 642

~Remmers:)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    DemonPrincess: thanks :) I'll just restart, who cares ;)

So at least the head still works, and I hadn't posted an image of the updated version yet. Don't know if it's turned out too highpoly, but we'll see.
    indianajoneswip03.jpg
  • is X y Z is?
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is X y Z is? polycounter lvl 12
    Allright this is major cool!! I'm in, I found this film it's due 2009 (Ain't sure if it's gonna be good or anything) but the character design is awesome!! So I'll be doing Mr. Black Dynamite himself!

see link for more details;
    http://www.blackdynamitemovie.com/
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wanting to get as much of the outfit as I can before working on the head/hands. I tend to give them too much if I do otherwise.

I want to see if anyone can guess before it becomes super obvious.

pitt_basterd_01.jpg
  • SomberResplendence
  • ericamilhomem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke Skywalker?

*edit*
    Thanks for the positive comments! :)
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had much time to work on this. Added the rest of the mesh and roughly painted in in the lower trousers, shoes etc. Still got to begin the rest of the tex. I've got about 100 more tris to work with so I think I'll spend them on his head and the various creases on his clothes.

lpc2_5.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    poop - yeah it's got a rorsarch/jedi silohette at the moment -looks good!
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I'm just going to make this post so people know I'm officially in this.

I just started on my character, and while I have the texture started, I don't want to give away my secrets quite yet. See if you can guess (not Indianna Jones)!

He has an object on his back that might give too much away, but wow this is a low-res mesh!! 700 tri exactly.

wipLOpoly.jpg

I'm assuming there was a typo on the page here, the comp is done in like 4 days right?
  • SomberResplendence
    Well I read that the comp ends at the end of Sept. I hope it's not a typo :(
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this is a long compo, ends end of sept
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't realize this comp was lasting as long as it was, so I'm gonna give it a go.

Doing Mani from Brotherhood of The Wolf in his Highwayman outfit.
    brotherhoodwolf.jpg

Probably see to recreating that scene from the movie to make it look like a brawler game.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    zardoz.jpg spent the last few days getting this concept fleshed out, hope you like,, think i'll start workin on it now

update:
    goina start texturing now, got about 125 tris left to make any changes needed when texturing
    zardoz_mesh.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    zardoz.jpg spent the last few days getting this concept fleshed out, hope you like,, think i'll start workin on it now

lol
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20-30 more triangles to give him the other hand.

pitt_basterd_02.jpg
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

update:
    zardoz_mesh.jpg

WHAT WHAT WHAT?! This changes everything.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20-30 more triangles to give him the other hand.

pitt_basterd_02.jpg

i would guess sky captain but the knife seems unlikely barring that i would say

bradpittbasterd_big.jpg
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    cycloverid wrote: »
    WHAT WHAT WHAT?! This changes everything.

Chibi-Zardoz will destroy us all!!

(whoops! Sorry for double-post!)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Make sure you use those extra triangles in the crotchal area, Mr. Murderclown
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chibi zardoz head baddie ftw
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would guess sky captain but the knife seems unlikely barring that i would say

bradpittbasterd_big.jpg

Bingo.

Chibi Zardoz looking ace. Be sure to get a good crotch bulge going in the texture. It should look like a python straining to get out of a tight burlap potato sack.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zardoz_text01.jpg roughin out textures now
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorkimaru wrote: »
    Made an NPC for Jane to fight. He is still in the early stages at the moment but I got to where I am by quickly using a new method. Rather then using two orthos to model from I made a character in make human and then used him as a 3D reference as I box modeled around him. Then I baked a render of the make human mesh onto the low poly one I made to get the beginings of a texture going.

(Starting off that way isn't against any rules is it? I did model each vertex myself so I don't think using a 3d reference as opposed to a 2d one should be against any rules)

Still needs a lot of work but here he is, weighing in at ~450 tris

11h7a84.jpg

i usualy start off any chars by making a biped armatuer and modeling around that, altho with biped you have to make all your proportions and stuff yourself cause vanila biped does not resemble an actual person. not familiar with make human so not sure how that works, but i would not consider that cheating too much, but its getting close. projecting its texture may be a bit iffy :) but personaly i dont care what you do as long as the end piece turns out well and i cant spot any obvious "cut n paste" bits
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    @ IEatApples ~ Yes. Yes. Yes! I couldn't find any WIP screenshots, but I really hope you finish him. :)
    @ RhinoKey ~ Das Pro. :thumbup:
    @ Ericamilhomem ~ I love the poses. :poly124:

As my entry for my first challenge on PC (who I'm very surprised no one else chose yet)...

jack-sparrow.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but here's a start on the texture. :\

Cherry_Darling_wip02.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but here's a start on the texture. :

Cherry_Darling_wip02.jpg

Love it! Great job on the face, she's very attractive and has a very uplifting look to her. Really nice anatomy so far as well.

I realized last night that there are extra polys for the knife and gun, so I got to add some more to my Pitt model. Started the UV layout too, but no update yet.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow that's great demonprincess!

I won't be able to work on it for a couple of weeks since my university is starting and I don't have a new pc in my room yet. (just a laptop that's old as crap and runs on linux).
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorkimaru polycounter lvl 10
    i usualy start off any chars by making a biped armatuer and modeling around that, altho with biped you have to make all your proportions and stuff yourself cause vanila biped does not resemble an actual person. not familiar with make human so not sure how that works, but i would not consider that cheating too much, but its getting close. projecting its texture may be a bit iffy :) but personaly i dont care what you do as long as the end piece turns out well and i cant spot any obvious "cut n paste" bits

Well Make Human is basically a free version of Poser. Basically what I did was import a High Poly Mesh to use as a reference, made it unselectable and then modeled around it. Instead of ortho planes so I could see my reference from any angle.

Then I lit the scene and baked a full render of the high poly mesh onto the texture map of the low poly mesh I made so I could have a starting point for textures and shading and so on. I'm thinking of making a few enemies of different styles and basing them of the low poly guy I made. (You can have a few different NPCs I assume?)

Going to have to make a few weapons first though. I wish she used a sword, I like swords... Might have to make another entry of a sword user. I also hope someone makes Charley Baltimore from the long kiss goodnight, I love that film.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but here's a start on the texture. :

Cherry_Darling_wip02.jpg

q @ Demonprincess: So for the texture are you painting by hand or cropping pieces from photos? I ask because the face particuarly looks pretty photo realistic?
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    ok I've updated Rambo a bit.

head resized and made less uniform
    added more polys to hair and face
    made neck longer
    added more polys to jacket arms & cuffs
    updated the skin
    added ears

rambo-shot5.jpg
    highres here [link]http://studio-erebus.com/misc/rambo/rambo-shot5-highres.jpg[/link]
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rambo is too clean! Dirty up those jeans! ANd his hair looks like its been combed, Rambo doesn't own a comb! Looking good though. You probably want to raise the contrast on the textures a little bit too.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whatever you do, don't mention the giant pink blob of bubble gum on his back
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior wrote: »
    q @ Demonprincess: So for the texture are you painting by hand or cropping pieces from photos? I ask because the face particuarly looks pretty photo realistic?

It's all hand painted, but I obviously spent a lot of time on the face and used reference to try and get a likeness of the actress. :)

Thanks for the comments, people! :D
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmax.jpg

madmax.jpg

Making my first steps towards modeling this out. What do you guys think about the way I made the collar? Should I just paint the collar into the texture instead of doing it this way? I thought this would give me a chance to break up the silhouette a bit.

I'm not used to working quite this low, so any tips are welcome!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think modeling the collar is a good idea, but it's probably better to build it into the mesh, and not have it as a separate piece on top.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I made a whole set, but every single one is under 500 tris.

Guess who!

LPC2Zwebbie1.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap! Will you have time to texture all of those? Looking very cool though. :poly128:
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    I made a whole set, but every single one is under 500 tris.

Guess who!

Big Blue Penis
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    DemonPrincess: Probably not, but we'll see how far I get. It's good practice either way :) .

Rorkimaru: That's... one way to put it, but you are correct :) . I could've modeled the version where he has underwear, but a penis is better for the err... silhouette. Yes, that's it. Because I'm totally not juvenile.

Question: For NPCs, we're allowed 2x128^2. Is 256x128 good too? If I use no alpha? Pretty please?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    zwebbie, so coool!
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    DemonPrincess: Probably not, but we'll see how far I get. It's good practice either way :) .

Rorkimaru: That's... one way to put it, but you are correct :) . I could've modeled the version where he has underwear, but a penis is better for the err... silhouette. Yes, that's it. Because I'm totally not juvenile.

Question: For NPCs, we're allowed 2x128^2. Is 256x128 good too? If I use no alpha? Pretty please?

I'd like that to be allowed too. At the moment I'm working of sheets like that but there is no overlap between the two halves so I can easily split it
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a 256x128 isn't allowed.

unless someone can prove me wrong, the DS / PSP / iPhone can't do un-square textures. Plus it's bad practice (most 3d software will bork under these conditions when you come to uvw map)

More wang for the blue guy ;)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    a 256x128 isn't allowed.

unless someone can prove me wrong, the DS / PSP / iPhone can't do un-square textures. Plus it's bad practice (most 3d software will bork under these conditions when you come to uvw map)

More wang for the blue guy ;)

I don't know about the DS, PSP, or iPhone but most 3d software is fine with rectangular textures.

Sure UVW functions act a little funky in max, so I've gotten into the practice of setting the grid size to 0.5 in the edit UVW window which splits it into 4 quadrants.

When I'm done I just double the width and offset the UVs by 0.5, we've got custom uv tools but they are similar to Chugnut's UV tools.
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The DS can use rectangular textures.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely a wip. I like moving away from the face, doing some other areas, then coming back when I clearly see something that needs improvement. Low poly likenesses are hard! Unless your DemonPrincess, who makes it look easy!

Pitt's exactly 700 tris, both weapons are under 100

pitt_basterd_03.jpg
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely a wip. I like moving away from the face, doing some other areas, then coming back when I clearly see something that needs improvement. Low poly likenesses are hard! Unless your DemonPrincess, who makes it look easy!

Pitt's exactly 700 tris, both weapons are under 100

pitt_basterd_03.jpg

EPIC!! Seriously,that looks great!
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm taking notes Poop ^

I'm just going to post my WiP, even though no one will have any idea why I chose this character until the very end - most likely. Hopefully I'll have good execution on this.

Alan Grant:

grant3.jpg

Need to add a bit more color variation, and perhaps play with the overall color tones.

Clothing folds on this resolution are insanely hard......
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know about the DS, PSP, or iPhone but most 3d software is fine with rectangular textures.

Sure UVW functions act a little funky in max, so I've gotten into the practice of setting the grid size to 0.5 in the edit UVW window which splits it into 4 quadrants.

When I'm done I just double the width and offset the UVs by 0.5, we've got custom uv tools but they are similar to Chugnut's UV tools.

c4d goes mental when you try to unwrap anything not square
This discussion has been closed.