Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

LPC vol2 #2 - action film - heros & baddies

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
die_hard-4.jpg

This months challenge is all about action films, heros and baddies.

The challenge:

Model a playable character, in 700 triangles or less, from an action movie. (to define action movie, please click here but also open to any non science fiction with adventure-action, like james bond or indiana jones etc)

The setting:

The game type will be beat-em-up melee style, for a hand held device. Good examples are final fight, die hard arcade, River City Ransom and so on. Feel free to model an environment or weapons and destructibles, even opponents.

river city ransom (1989):
oldschool.jpg

final fight (1989):
Final_Fight.png

die hard arcade (1996):
Die-Hard-Arcade.png

spikeout (1997):
spikeout-battle-street-20050404070146169-000.jpg

the warriors (2005):
the_warriors_return.jpg

The rules:

character: 700 tris
texture space: 4 x 128px by 128px /or/ 1 x 256px by 256px (diffuse / alpha / specular)

(additional elements)
weapons: max 100 tris per weapon
weapons tex: 64px by 64px per weapon
destructible: max 200 tris per item
destructible tex: 128px by 128px per item
environment: max 500 tris
environment tex: 4 x 128px by 128px /or/ 1 x 256px by 256px
npc: max 500 tris
npc tex: 2 x 128px by 128px

Please post any work in this thread.
Deadline is end of september.
multiple entries are allowed.

Please see the various threads in this forum for posting images in the right format (no anti-aliasing, gray background, mobile device screen size)

winner is chosen by public vote. Brownie points for rigging or diorama for final entry.

Smash your way to victory!

Replies

• ander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ander polycounter lvl 17
    Wohoo, finally!

Gonna do one of the Tremor brothers from Smokin Aces!

2007_smokin_aces_008.jpg
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I'm gonna get on this!
  • Joseph Pomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Pomeisl polycounter lvl 14
    So, would an armor clad dude wielding a sword and a six-shooter be considered a science-fiction character?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Very Nice idea, this link and list should be helpful to all who are interested:
    IMDB ACTION FILM LISTINGS
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in! edit: learned my lesson about multiple chars last time... better anyway
    24467.png
  • ericamilhomem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to participate!
    One question: is Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) from the Get Smart movie ok for this challenge?
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    Couple of quick questions.

1: this will be a fixed camera correct (can only see certain ways) no 360 viewing of the environment?

2: Any props inside of an environment (say a park) if I used a merry-go-round would that count towards the tri limit of the environment or would it be considered a "destructible"?
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Nice! I'm gonna do Leon from the Professional

Just curious would grenades attached to the body be considered Weapons?

also destructible kinda confused on what that means
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Jon:
    1: I'm pretty sure that the exact nature of perspective is up to you (ie you can make it full 3d if you like or design for fixed semi ortho cam.) The list of games mentioned are almost all 2d so a 3d extension of that sort of gameplay could well be acceptable. Even the 3d versions that hit the arcade later are all 2d action except for the occasional dramatic quicktime sequence.

2: I think you can make it a destructable, just be sure to show that it DOES break. Remember that destructable environment bits in the mentioned games often can be come weaponry, or at least give bonuses.

Binxx: A destructable is some prop in the level which can be destroyed. Crates, Barricades, Oil barrels, Street Signs, the occasional cinder block wall, etc. Most often these either hide bonuses, such as healing items or point/money pickups, or they hide or BECOME weaponry. Ie knocking over or breaking a street sign nets you a limited use club in the form of the street sign, barrels can be picked up and thrown, concrete walls often let you pick up a brick and chuck it at enemies.

Hawken: The environment spec: Is that effectively one on screen background set or an entire level worth?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One question: is Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) from the Get Smart movie ok for this challenge?

it's listed as an Action movie on IMDB - so yes. For future reference, can people do a quick search before they ask, cheers.
    1: this will be a fixed camera correct (can only see certain ways) no 360 viewing of the environment?

up to you, as Vailias points out.
    2: Any props inside of an environment (say a park) if I used a merry-go-round would that count towards the tri limit of the environment or would it be considered a "destructible"?

anything you can pickup or destroy, is a destructible. See Vailias' perfect description above.
    Just curious would grenades attached to the body be considered Weapons?

If he can take them off and throw them, they are weapons. If they are stuck to his body and can't be used in your game, they are part of the model. Up to you.
    The environment spec: Is that effectively one on screen background set or an entire level worth?

it's the area where you can fight for just one screen, not the budget for an entire level.

hope this answers some Q's!!

Please fact check your own movies for "action" on IMDB, cheers!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Indiana Jones! As long as my pc doesn't keep crashing on me ;). Good warmup :)
  • Convoy_Avenger
    Hey, I'm the new guy. A little challenge should be some good motivation. Gonna do Beatrix from Kill Bill, how acceptable is that?
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Pistol.jpg
    Current progress on the wep i'm gonna give him. having a bit of trouble though.... I'm trying to optimize the space by cutting up the gun however it don't look so hot.. I'll probabaly remodel it again. also is there any programs that could let you draw directly on the model? even though i match up the colors they seemd to go wack ><
    leonpic.jpg
    Progresson on leon as a basic model, I think it looks kinda boring though i think i'll make him without the coat

Last question I got is... um is this the right way of doing this? posting images and everything? I'm hoping i'm doing this right, and also was wondering if i should post this here or in the challenges and mini-challenge's area!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo, here's my update:
    indianajoneswip01.jpg
    has been quite a while, so criticise me untill I start crying :).
    ps: can't get the reference images to be more clear in the viewport, probably because somehow hardware rendering doesn't work anymore and I'm running in software mode.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    Yo, here's my update:
    indianajoneswip01.jpg
    ps: can't get the reference images to be more clear in the viewport, probably because somehow hardware rendering doesn't work anymore and I'm running in software mode.

It's a good start! You can probably do all the mouth detail with the texture, but the eye socket shape will need extra triangles to make the texture sit well.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna do Beatrix from Kill Bill, how acceptable is that?

Welcome to polycount
    green light. it's listed as an action movie on imdb.com
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    If this helps guys- here's the IMDB's user voted top 50 action movies :

http://www.imdb.com/chart/action

I'm torn between Marty McFly from Back to the future or Marv from Sin City.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah sweet challenge!
    If I have time, it'd be boondock saints for me, hmm 'il duce.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in! Gonna do the leader dude from the Seven Samurai.
    7samurai-kambei.jpg
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, another LPC. I'm probably going to do the crazy policeman from L
  • Convoy_Avenger
    Here's what I've got so far.

ActionHero_WiP01.png

I got a bit carried away on her boobs, as I often do when working on female models. I'll have to size them down a bit. Any Crit/comments most welcome.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    mine: Marv from sin city. (bodys a stand in)

update1.jpg

yeeeeaaaahh!
    ps. sorry johnny six

@convoy avenger- your model looks good, but like a generic model. not as a model aimed directly at copying a real person. it doesnt look like it was modeled after beatrix, rather a standard female.
  • KonamiCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonamiCode polycounter lvl 18
    Well I've got two great ideas I'd like to do, but I'll focus on the one that's nearest and dearest to my heart:

14511458l.jpg
  • Convoy_Avenger
    I would have to agree, but I think most of the characterization will come out in the texture. Not much detail can be added to a skin tight jump suit. The hair and weapons should make it look more like her.
  • KonamiCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    Yo, here's my update:
    indianajoneswip01.jpg

Lookin' good! So are we getting Raider's Indy or Temple of Doom Indy? That whole segment on the rope bridge seems like it'd be a great scene to re-enact in a Beat 'Em up.
  • ericamilhomem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my work so far on Agent 99.
    I realize some edges need to be turned, but I don't know how to do this in Blender keeping the quads.
    Help and critics are welcome!
    agent_01-2.jpg

agent_04.jpgagent_05.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work Eric, love the way you did the hair.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    33_v-v-for-vendetta.jpg

Might just have to do V...
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update, making it quick due to crap comcast internet.
    update2c.jpg
    sitting at 641 tris, including a cigarette.
    update3i.jpg
    Edit: looking at erics i got a little ashamed... more work tomorrow!
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    We have until the end of September? Good god, I'm gonna do at least one full mockup. Gotta pick a movie, tho :P

Another link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_action_films
    lists them by year instead of popularity or alphabetically. Lots of them I had forgotten about until I saw them on the lists...
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    might make some small changes, done for now though, (not my presentation)
    presentationcopy.jpg
    might update a few things later but for now, back to real work!:)
  • KonamiCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put a few hours work into this last night. It's at 244 tris right now, but I'm gonna reserve optimizing it further until I see how far I can get on the body.

jbhead.jpg
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so are we able to make our 3d adaptations "chibby" like rivercity ransom? or is that bending the rules?
  • ericamilhomem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I worked on the UVs, tried to get the best out of the 128x128 texture (it's so small :(). Decided to put a lot more detail on the face.
    I used a 128x128 checker-like texture to get the idea of how pixels will look like.

progresso_02.jpg
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    Great work Eric, love the way you did the hair.
    Thank you!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    DoomiVox wrote: »
    so are we able to make our 3d adaptations "chibby" like rivercity ransom? or is that bending the rules?
    Shouldn't be any limitations to style, though I was wondering this too. Chibi would be fun.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomiVox wrote: »

Style is up to you!
  • KonamiCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I worked on the UVs, tried to get the best out of the 128x128 texture (it's so small :(). Decided to put a lot more detail on the face.
    I used a 128x128 checker-like texture to get the idea of how pixels will look like.

Thank you!

If I'm not mistaken, you can use 4 separate 128x128 textures, or one 256x256 texture. Don't tie yourself up into using something smaller than what you're allowed!
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    I'm gonna do some Lethal Weapon mockups. Just watched all four films to prepare for it. Riggs, Murtaugh, some goons and a boss (probably Gary Busey...)

I'm gonna treat the boss character with the same specs as the player models, since he'd be a unique character.

Two locations and two mockup screens are my goals. One scene featuring Riggs / Murtaugh fighting some goons in the club scene and a boss fight with Busey in front of Murtaugh's house. If I manage to finish one I'll be happy :D
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    indianajoneswip02.jpg
    waahh somethings going wrong! I think it must be the viewport because I can somehow only run it in software mode (not hardware or even opgenGL) which might be the cause for the weird overlapping stuff and the weird seem on the arm. (I resetXform a couple of times, made sure that the verts where welded properly, also made sure I had the same smoothing group.)
    the face is actually asymmetrical ;).
  • ericamilhomem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonamiCode wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, you can use 4 separate 128x128 textures, or one 256x256 texture. Don't tie yourself up into using something smaller than what you're allowed!

Hm, I was a bit confused by the texture rules.
    Anyway, 256 is gonna be much better!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm , can you tell who it is yet?

fail_3_by_JohnnySix.jpg

No, neither can I.
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorkimaru polycounter lvl 10
    Hi, I'm new to polycount (I've had an account for a while but my first post got me banned by mistake so I'm basically new as of today)

I've been browsing for a while and am amazed at the quality of the work posted here. I'm going to give this competition a shot myself. I'm not much of a modeller but I'd like to improve and competitions seem to be a good way to do that.

I'm going to make Jane Smith from Mr & Mrs Smith. I've got the face mostly done and am going to start on the body before I get to work on the hair or dress. (I don't know if that's a good work flow but sure I'll give it a shot). The head is a bit pointy but I'll be deleting a lot of that when I fit her out with some hair.

By the way, reading the rules I'm not sure. Are we making just the character or an entire scene as it would appear in game?

Anyway here is a screenie of how she looks so far I think its about 200 tris for the head:

screenshot1sgn.png
  • ericamilhomem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are we allowed to use photos for the texture?
    I used this for the face and it looks much better than my painting attempts.

WIP:
    progresso_03-1.jpg

I had to add 8 tris for the eyes area, so I'm over 700. I'll try to compensate on the hair.
    My model doesn't look good from the side though... Not sure what I'm going to do about this.
    progresso_04.jpg

But the other side is ok, the hair covers everything.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing about using that photo is that the light is from underneath. Shading with the light above seems more practical/versatile unless the game were to have floor-lighting everywhere.
  • Joseph Pomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Pomeisl polycounter lvl 14
    ericamilhomem: nice. maybe just use that pic as a template.

So, if the character has two axes, each one could be 100 tri's?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric-
    She probably looks so weird from the side due to the plane the eyes are mapped on being flat, what if you cut the planes in half and bent the outer edges back? would help, I think.
  • Convoy_Avenger
    @erica - looking really good, I'm kinda jealous.

Here's where I'm sitting right now: ActionHero_WiP04.png took a break for the weekend, the UVing isn't done yet. Way more than 700 tris so going to have to cut back on some. The knees and probably her butt will be getting a trim. Thinking I'm going to have to remake the head as well.
  • KonamiCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Convoy_Avenger: Looks a lot stronger than your earlier post. I'd almost pull in those verts on the back of the calves...looking at her in the motorcycle outfits, her limbs are pretty narrow/tubular.

I'm currently at 696 on mine; I was hoping to have enough left over to do hands/fingers but I don't think I'll be able to work it in. Might make some tweaks for animation and for aesthetics but I think i'll start on the UVs tomorrow.

jackby.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericamilhomem: nice. maybe just use that pic as a template.

So, if the character has two axes, each one could be 100 tri's?

However many you need up to 100.
    Rorkimaru wrote: »

By the way, reading the rules I'm not sure. Are we making just the character or an entire scene as it would appear in game?

building a playable character is mandatory for entry, the other stuff (additional elements) is optional but recommended.
This discussion has been closed.