LPC vol2 #2 - action film - heros & baddies

Replies

• duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Just a bit of progress for me.

I was about to call this done but just saw that we had to have an
    in game shot, Bugger! I did not count on that, now I need to re-think my layout oh well :) . I
    need to spread some love a little later (no lunch time left:( )but all the entries are starting to look
    really awesome. DemonPrincess I am looking in your direction ;). Ace work guys I am keen to see some
    finished stuff.

D.

84197882.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • AVBN5000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AVBN5000 polycounter lvl 9
    okno wrote: »
    Didn't get much done on this today except a few tweaks, proportion fixes etc.

lpc2_2.gif
    anim for better sense of shape

When I saw this I thought to myself...its Edward Carnby with a texture! If your not familiar with the character it is from the Alone in the Dark Series. (The original trilogy). Very cool though!
  • genericnamedave
    So many people fell by the wayside! I blame Demon Princess and Duncan! Where is Beatrix Kiddo? Indiana Jones? Leon? Etc etc. You know who you are!!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay boys and girls :)

Harry: Ace job man! Good likeness too, I would only like to see him with a bit more of an expression on his face though. Looking forward to the finished piece :) I really like the glass in your env shot.

Zwebbie: That is totally wicked man. I can't believe you managed to get them all done. What a pro :). Awesome job.

BradMyers82: I like what I see... but I would like to see some more......Please:)

gegrazion: WOW Po is looking awesome Ace job I would love to see some more.

Jasonin3d: Good work on those nun chucks, they pop alot more now.

Taizy79: Cool stylization. I was not sure who it was to begin with but I see it now ;) good job:)

JonConley: the texture is looking good and you know what they say. Practice makes perfect. :) keep going.

Red Handed Gamer: hahahaha looks fun :) If I had any crits for you it would be that the wrinkles in the groin are really draw a lot attention. I would suggest softening them out a bit. Other than that looks nice.

Azimn: Looks good I would consider turning off the lights and just having 100% illumination. As far as the model goes I would say scale down the cricket bat, it looks a little too heavy. Other than that looking good :)

okno: I would only echo genericnamedave's advise. But I love the painted feel to him. good job:)

DemonPrincess: hahahaha, WOW, ace, I love your entry. really nice and clean texture work. Still one of my favs ;)

JonConley: ACE ref I love old school large empty echoie spaces (make it happen) :)

As for me I have made a few small changes and I think I am about ready to call it finished unless anyone can see some problems I have missed :(

Anyway have to go now. I need to do some work :( let me know what you guys think.

D.

finalyu.jpg
  • genericnamedave
    Duncan, it is perfection! Nice texture, with the lighting built-in, convincing fabric wrinkles and strains. Excellent mesh work. I can't see a thing wrong. The only thing i could hope for is to see a rigged character flying through the sky. Excellent work!!
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips on the head gegrazion and genericnamedave.

Here's what the scene will look like just got to clean some things up

lpc2_9.png
  • genericnamedave
    Excellent environment work okno. Smacks of the movie. The Hexagon shadow is a bit out of place. If you break your light links effectively...you could give him a shadow without overriding the baked-in light texture you gave him.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a really good ingame shot okno!

my advice would be to layer a health meter or something on there for authenticity.

2 days left folks! (I changed the rules slightly to allow you to post whatever you have by this time, don't worry about the submission check list too much. Obviously adhering to it may give you a better chance of winning though)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Love the environment okno. Like Hawken said, maybe add a health bar and some other game related icons to give it that extra pop.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hay okno That is looking really nice. Yeah a softer shadow and some health bars and that will be looking totally wicked :). ace job.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to pin down a pose, I kinda like this one but my rigging and posing = microwaved shit

render.jpg

Gotta try and get an enviro done as well as finish up the texturing, it will be close...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I extended the deadline to the first weekend in October, seemed a bit mean to finish this midweek.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Duncan: Great finish! Congrats Man!

DemonPrincess: I was hoping you would finish. Great job as always, and btw thanks for helping me so much in the past.

Here is where I am at now. I still have quite a few tweaks to make, and add the blood, and texture the gun, but I figured this is a good point to get some crits at.

I was planning on having this done by tomorrow, but with the extension maybe I can create a nice scene also. We'll see I guess.

WillisTextures03.jpg
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good!

bradmyers82: looking good, only crits are the wrinkles seems pretty sporatic they should be used to suggest form (see exemple) and he seems a little skinny
    http://www.spawn.com/toys/movies/lost2/sawyer/images/lost2_sawyer_photo_01_dp.jpg

Duncan ; Great execution! Great style and great texture! I was wondering if you could tell me what you used to uv unwrap and texture Thanks!
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    THANK YOU, HAWKEN!!! I was up all night trying to get the tea house scene done but I would like to do some tweaking. I also want to add breakable birdcages (with guns inside, obviously) and now I have time!

Making an environment with 500 tris and a 265px texture is so freaking hard...

WIPs:

Detective Tequila (680 tris, also rigged but I'm too lazy to pose right now...)
    chowNew01.png?t=1254250435

Tea house (500 tris, 256px texture)
    teahouse01.png?t=1254250435

His handgun there is exactly 100 tris as well. More to come on that!
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, that's really great, BradMyers82!

It blows my mind how well some folks use their 256 texture space. I have a lot to learn! Though reading and watching the tutorials on poop's site taught me the valuable lesson of working in the native resolution and not in 2x!
  • genericnamedave
    mrmmaclean wrote: »
    Man, that's really great, BradMyers82!

It blows my mind how well some folks use their 256 texture space. I have a lot to learn! Though reading and watching the tutorials on poop's site taught me the valuable lesson of working in the native resolution and not in 2x!

Um, where is this uh, 'Poop's site'? :icon_question:
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Um, where is this uh, 'Poop's site'?

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha! Yeah, I probably should have posted the link but it was already up earlier in the thread so I didn't think about how weird I probably sounded...
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Jasonin3d: Thanks man. Not sure I agree with you about the wrinkles, cause I sort of just followed the reference. So it should look just like the reference except I adjusted wrinkles with my slightly different painted lighting setup, however; I totally agree about him being too skinny.

So I re-worked the proportions some, thanks for the great crits!

mrmmaclean: I'm really liking the environment you made. It looks really good!
    Looks like you still working on the textures for Tequila, but at first glance his mouth looks really small.

Here is a small update, I re-worked the proportions, and changed some other stuff.
    Mainly, I kicked the crap out of Willis! :)

WillisTextures04.jpg

The Gun and final posed Bruce Willis is on the way!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay, woohoo time extension. Thanks hawken :) I hope the extension will bring a few more wicked entries out of the wood work.

I have made my peace with the Rocketeer so the final has been submitted. I have never made a character to these specs before and I have to say I had a really fun time. I will be doing a lot more of these comps in the future:):) thanks hawken

genericnamedave: Thanks for the big up:) I would like to pose him as well but that is not my strongest area:( besides I feel as though I have already spent too much time looking at him. Maybe in the future.

Xaltar: I think that pose looks good man! I can't wait to see where you go with the environment. Keep up the good work:)

BradMyers82: Thanks man:) Bruce is looking super sweet, the only let down would be not having an environment for him. Great job.

Jasonin3d: Thanks very much:) I use RoadKill to unwrap, Maya to layout, and photoshop to texture. But I am about to start playing with BodyPaint. I have heard a lot of good things.

mrmmaclean: That is looking really nice, I am keen to see how they will work together. Nice job so far:)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your background is looking great mr mmaclean

there's some real professional portfolio packers in this thread, hope the extension works out for you guys.

Still waiting for Zardoz...
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    duncan: just wanted to say, that is pure sex. :D
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I am doing all my unwrapping manually like a caveman! I've been so busy just modeling and painting never really tried anything else for unwrapping! Thanks Duncan! Roadkill seems real easy I also downloaded budypaint but never opened it. I’ll have to check that out for the next model I’m working on!

BradMyers82: looking good, I like the added gore, I still find him a little skinny but that could just be my screen here at work Keep up the good work! Also your light setup painting adjustment helps portraying his chest protrusion as in the ref pic
  • Taizy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taizy79 polycounter lvl 14
    Changed up the model a great deal from where it was.
    dj_pro1.jpg
    Destructible props
    destory_props.jpg
    Brazilian Town [Tris 481]
    DJ_envir_001.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Jasonin3d: Thanks again man!
    I figured I would share my workflow for unwrapping since you asked someone earlier...

Personally I use unfold 3d magic to do my base unwrap. If I need to flatten out a tricky area, like a face where the nose usually has stretching, I use Headus for that (the gui is ideal for flattening stuff by hand IMO).
    Then I bring it all into 3ds max, make my final adjustments, straighten stuff out, and pack stuff in by hand.
    Using all these programs might be a little much for some, and too expensive license wise, but honestly I can't imagine a easier way to do it all.

Oh and I made a few more minor adjustments and tweaks to the Willis model, but I'll show them with my final submission coming soon.

For now, here is the final Gun for the Bruce Willis Model.

SIGP220FinalTextures.jpg
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A WIP... I need to complete a few things but I wanted to post at least something by the deadline.. LOL
    2r6pi0k.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Azimn: You know, the deadline was extended to this weekend right?

[Edit] Also, be sure to check the scale on your scene. The character is either a giant, or the shed and tree are tiny.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Duncan, I suck at rigging and posing so I'm pretty pleased with it :)

Here is a fairly early wip of the environment, still needs lights and gutters etc. If I can find the time before the deadline I will try and do Gambit and have him on the ladder with a card at the ready.

Render1.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Xaltar: I like the environment, although the area inside the window below the dark part isn't reading well atm. It's hard to tell what it's supposed to be which is a bad sign. Other than that, it looks great!
    Also, Wolverine is in serious need of some more defined shadows, highlights, and color variation on his skin. I know your still texturing, but I thought I would mention just in case.

Here is my Bruce Willis rigged and in his final pose. I'm calling the textures done now also. I still have to make him an environment now, but I'm almost done! :)

WillisPose04.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Brad, your entry is looking hot, The detail work is awesome. My only crit is that he looks a little elongated maybe widen him a bit overall, it should improve the likeness a bit too (its great even now btw).

Cheers for the comments :) I am pretty bad at texturing I'm afraid, he's all hand painted but my grasp of shadows and highlights is really weak, I'll need to work on that... I did give him more depth and tried to do what you suggested though. Here is the completed scene without Gambit (I still have to model him..). All procedural lighting removed and everything at 100% self illum as per rules :)

Render2.jpg
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradmyers82: Damn Brad!! Nice final execution! (Let me know when Die hard The game, comes out, I'm buying!)

Xaltar: Very nice job, I've never had the chance to model a lowpoly scene but after seeing this I wanna start one!
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Bradmyers82: This looks really great, but does he get eyes?
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradmyers82, that is f**king sick, man!!! My mind is officially blown...

Xaltar, it's looking awesome. I really love your environment!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks again for the kind words guys!

Xaltar: Looking a lot better man!
    But yeah, I think I'm sticking with the proportions I have, part of what you're saying I think has to do with the camera angle, and also the low poly nature of the character, like he looks almost too thick from other angles.

Axios: Well I wasn't planning on giving him eyes, as I was going to simply use the same lighting setup used in the amazing Quake 3 (which btw uses almost the exact same resolution I have here for the face).
    However, I can see that they did hint at eyes a bit, so I decided to give it a try, and I think I like it more now with the changes I just made. So thanks for the crit man!

here is what I am talking about with the lighting setup:
    LightingSetup08.jpg

And here he is posed again:
    WillisPose06.jpg
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A 124 triangle destructible bird cage. Guns, money and power-ups are often found inside so smash 'em all!

birdCage.png?t=1254513903
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck everyone!!!!

And okno, that animation is absolutely cool as hell!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And my final scene.

final.jpg

Now to do the construction and beauty shots and submit. I'll leave it here for crits for a while before I submit.

Good luck everyone and great work!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    okno: I love that selection screen. I actually clicked the arrows the first time I saw it, not realising that it was just a mockup :D .

mrmmaclean: Awesome final result! I'm still a bit blown away by how well it came together.

Xaltar: Two characters, nice! I think you could really make it a ton more game-y if you'd pick (or make) a better font for the ingame text and numbers.

Here's what I've been working on:

LPC2RorInPrisonMockup.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zwebbie, updated the image above.

Love your scene, for some reason it reminds me of the indoor missions in red alert 1 :)

[edit]
    All submitted. Good luck all.
  • Convoy_Avenger
    Your guys' work is awesome. I have no idea how some people manage to make textures like they have... Guess I still have a lot to learn. I'm not very used to the character modeling/texturing scene, but damn. Gonna submit what I have.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just submitted mine as well, I was making a scene, but ran out of time...
    Oh well.
    Good luck everyone, so many awesome entries!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahahaha ACE. There are so many awesome entries. Good work everyone:).
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Posting my finals here in the discussion thread.

ga_pitt_beauty.jpg

ga_pitt_ingame.jpg

ga_pitt_wireframe.jpg

ga_pitt_texture.jpg

And the whole thing as an SDK http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/sdk/pitt_basterd.zip
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great finish Ben! I love how you did the lighting for the beauty shot, it's really well presented.
    You definitely gave me a lot of inspiration for my own presentation shots.
    Awesome job.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay poopinmymouth. Awesome entry man. Still my favorite, and thanks for the Body Paint tutorials as well I am about to step foot in that program for the first time and your tut's are are going to be invaluable. Good luck for comp, but just between you and me I don't think you will need it ;)

cheers

D.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    but just between you and me I don't think you will need it ;)
    Duncan: I read every word you said! [Shakes Fist]
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHAHAHA Brad. Yours is ace too :) I def think you are in with a shot for a top 3
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to everyone who finished.

Poop, that looks great, I love the presentation and the classic Mathis style.

Hey, I might not come last this time :P Seriously though, I'm glad I managed to see this through from start to finish, its been a while since I completed a project :)
This discussion has been closed.