Home Stickies

XoliulShader 2

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like Max isn't recognizing the File Format, did you install any new plugin and/or remove anything from Max?

What about other formats or textures?
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    I will try other sizes and formats, but the ones I use now are .tga (32 bit, uncompressed) and quite huge 4096x4096.

No new plugins or such installed to Max.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for double posts but it worked when I simply re-sized the images to 2048x2048. But now the textures get totally black, but no errors. How come?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I get the same error quite often with tif format. Just cancel it and load it again manually. Should work then.

Since I don´t get any help in the Grabviewport thread and I feel there is great support for the Xolul Shader, I need to ask here again for help.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1514543&postcount=67

Basically I just want a cleaner shot of a model using Xoliul´s shader. I thought it could work to take a bigger shot and scale it down (just in case the AA would not work).
  • miksewell2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi i downloaded the xoliul shader and for the life of me i just cant get it to install :-(! I scrolled through the threads to find if anyone else had the same issue but i cant seem to see any solutions (most probly cos it 1 in the morning and my brain is screaming sleep!)

I have downloaded the file and saved in my documents, i unzipped the folder and moved the mzpInstall (inside the folder) into 3dmax. When i do this three things pop up.1. maxscript 2.Rollout error 3.MSPM installer v.1.0

The maxscript rollout reads
    MAXSCRIPT Rollout Handler Exception
    --Run time error dotNet run time Exception: Project image.bmp

And the installer that is clearly missing the image above
    MSPM Installer v.1.0
    i click on install and this message pops up
    Error could not locate files in temp folder
    I try to do it manually in the menu but does not work i have also tried to in admin but again same thing could someone please point me out where i am going wrong! :poly127:

HELP!!!! thank you for you time
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You shouldn't unzip the folder man, just use the zip file itself. You probably used some browser that renames the mzp file to .zip automatically, just rename the extension (to .mzp) and try again.

C86G: Max 2009 is probably too old.

Ikonane: your hardware can't handle textures that huge. Upgrade to a better graphics card.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sorry if I missed the fix for this...

BmdZQ.jpg
    I get this error when I clone meshes or when I add a light, even if I am not using the shader. I got the issue this time while I was rendering to texture-normal map.

Max 2011 Win7

The error is more of an annoyance than a breaker, as it locks up max for a couple minutes.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks like a genuine bug. You seem to be the first person to ever get this though. I know that the RTT dialog does a few nasty things, clearing callbacks and destroying some of our code, I will have to look into this.
    For now, I guess your only option would be to either upgrade Max and see if it's better in 2012, or remove the shader and work with the legacy pure FX files.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been needing an escuse to load the new version on Max, Sorry I found a way to break your beautiful shader.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Xoliul I get that same error when i have used Rtt in a scene. It freezes up max and I have to restart to clear it. All is fine untill I use Rtt again. This occurs even when not using the shader in the scene. I had to uninstall so it would quit throwing that error.

Just to let you know this was the same error i reported on page 4 a while back ago. :)
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Many of the folks I work with get that same error and so do my students who i introduce the shader to. We use max 2012 so it still happens :(
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul I get the same error with RTT but only when Im not using Direct 3D so its probably something with the Nitrous thingy. Usually works just to wait a little bit then close the error messages.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, whenever I open the rtt window, it hangs for about 15-20 seconds when the shader is installed.

Uninstalled(well, sorta since uninstall throws an error) because of this. Any way to fix that?

Took me a while to figure out it was the xoliul shader.
    -Using 2012.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By any chance, are you guys talking about Baking the shader down to texture level for low poly assets or something?
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    By any chance, are you guys talking about Baking the shader down to texture level for low poly assets or something?

Not sure who all you're talking to, but on the chance that you're referring to me, the answer would be no.

The shader causes the rtt window to hang when you open the dialog. I checked an old install of max2009 with what I think is the old xoliul shader, and it does the same thing. Empty scene, fresh startup.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newton polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for this!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

I don't think so... I am baking high poly models for normals. I (shift) pull out the low poly when I release to say if it is a copy, instance, or referance, The error pops up, even if I don't have the shader currently in the scene.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, working on fixing this, but I'm hitting some problems atm. I know what's causing it (the system that reports newly created lights to the shader). Coming up with an alternate solution should be possible though, so hold tight.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still frequent crashes. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. It works about 30-40% of the time.

I usually get the bitmap missing error or "Unknown property: "bClip" is undefined"(and two more errors, Gamma e.t.c) and script crash.

To use more than one XoliulShader material in a scene is totally impossible. I can only run 3Ds Max(2011) as Administrator.

Sometimes when I "enable" and "disable" the images in the material editor a couple of times it works or crashes.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,
    I have 3ds Max 2012 on Windows 7. When i load up the shader and try to add an image to the diffuse slot by clicking on the grey 'empty' swatch, I get this error come up and I don't know how to get around it. I have read through the FAQ, but with no success:
    [Clickable Thumbnail]
    th_XoliulShader.png
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you have to be adminstrator to run it. I just find it a bit surprising that people run with such limited right on their computer....

What you can also do:
    -Make the 3DS Max directory writeable, turn off the read-only thing (this fixes all problems for everyone at work here)
    -Even better get rid of that ridiculous Windows User Acount Control (UAC) by just turning it off and resolving all problems. (this fixes all problems for me and others at home)
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Thanks that sounds like it should work. But it does not stay disabled (writable). Any idea?

And I cant find how to disable UAC in XP.

Pic of the problem:
    ReadOnly_1.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea how this works with XP, I haven't used that OS for years and I have no way to test.
    Are you limited in rights on your account? Can you run Max as admin ?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you Admin in the first place? XP was different, it required you to be a full admin, as opposed to the newer Windows which make you an "Admin'" user and the System itself is the full Admin. XP didn't have the second option.

So you might wanna hit up google to look for your solution.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Xoliul wrote: »
    C86G: Max 2009 is probably too old.
    graphics card.

Yep, you were right. Works fine in Max 2010. Thnaks for your help.
    Love you ^^
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    From the website,the FAQ says:
    • Will there be a Maya/XSI version of 2.0?
    • If you mean a version with custom UI, then for now the answer is no. Maya uses a different scripting language, and translating it would mean redoing everything for Maya. The old, core FX files are still available though.
    Does this mean there will be a version for Maya in the near future,possibly before July this year? or there is a 2.0 version available for Maya but without a custom UI?Don't know why 3dmax always gets all the cool stuff.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't your question already answered by that FAQ entry?

-No, there won't be a maya version.
    -Because it's just too much work, everything needs to be redone + Maya shader support is shoddy compared to max (which is already shoddy!). I really don't want to go there in terms of effort.
    -Yes, there are still core FX files available that should work with Maya, just no UI.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reply in the FAQ said:If u mean a version with custom UI,for now,the answer is no.

SoI thought probably a version for Maya will be in the works sometime later.Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. You have to understand, I'd really rather spend my time (which has become limited since working at Splash) on improving the Max version (like going for 2.5) than do a Maya version which by definition will be more limited than max (no shadows for example).
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know making these plugins aren't easy to make and I respect and admire the time and intellect u guys put into making our workflows better and faster.I will be looking into learning 3dmax.It seems more user friendly for freelancers rather than Maya that is designed for studio/companies with a lot of customised scripting.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use Max for just viewing shaders as well. All you need to learn is the navigation and the material system + some basic mesh selecting. Should take you only a few hours.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have installed Windows 7 and turned off UAC but I can still not turn off the read-only function. I am doing it the same way as the xp picture above but it does not stay off. Am I doing it wrong?

EDIT:
    I installed this thing:
    www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

And took ownership of the Autodesk folder, but I still get the "Error reading Targa file" and "wanted bitmap got undefined".

I always run 3Ds Max as Administrator.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if UAC is off it should normally not be an issue anymore, for me that's all it takes to solve problems.
    Error reading Targa file sounds like something else though.
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Hi Xoliul!
    when a max files with xoliul shader is open on another workstation with a different max folder instal I got this...
    tiZ6O.jpg
    r6YD9.jpg
    JPiha.jpg

So I have to CopyPasta the Xoliul folder where the script is looking for, and it works.. :)

Thanks!

Pas tr
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you open a maxfile from one pc to another? It sounds like it's missing a special case when the saved thumbnail being referenced is in a different folder. I will look at it. There's a bunch of these annoying errors that I have to fix :/
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I´m looking for the video where you, Mister Xoliul, set up a crawler machine model thingy with lights and texture tweaks etc.
    I just can´t find it : /

edit: found it : )

edit 2:

I need help : /
    I want that nice ground plane with the fading alpha that Xoliul showed in the vid i searched (and found).
    I know it should be as simple as creating an alpha in Photoshop, saving it as... dunno, TGA and using this in Max with the Xoliul Shader, activating the alpha box and set the max option to "none". But I just can´t get it right.

Help plz : (
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That one's kinda old though. The HotRod v2 sneakpeek thing is newer, but it doesn't have voice-over I think.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Yep, I know the HotRod one and I really love all of your Videos!
    I needed the crawler vid because I want the alpha plane you used there. Still can´t figure out what I do wrong.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's extremely dependent on viewport settings. You need to set transparency quality to None, and you can't use SSAO.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I dis that.
    I guess I´m too stupid to get the alpha channel right.
  • asher911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asher911 polycounter lvl 6
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Any idea why my ground plane with (correct ^^) alpha does not display properly? I get this bad border that should disappear when setting the transparency quality to "none".
    None does not help : /
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Having an issue loading my normal map using this shader. The output from the RTT dialog in 3DS Max 2012 worked fine, but when I composited my normals in photoshop and saved it out as a .tga, it loads weird. I've tried .jpg and .png files as well.

Here's how the normal map (flattened) looks in PS:
    NormalMap_PS.png

When loading through the shader dialog, it looks like this:
    NormalMap_XShader.png
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    @artstream

I had same problem either.My solution is adjust the gamma/LUT settings.3dsmax's itself gamma corrects the image and this causes wrong results.In the gamme/LUT settings set the default gamma correction value to 1.0 instead of 2.2 or simply disable it.That would get rid of that wrong appearance.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ igi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but my gamma/lut correction is already off.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    artstream wrote: »
    @ igi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but my gamma/lut correction is already off.

Alright,then just enable it and set gamma correction value to 1.This would work.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That worked! Thanks igi, really appreciate it!
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Now i install Xoliul Shader 2 under 3ds Max 2013 trial, but not work correctly :(

Upd: my brain not work correcly :) XS2 works fine!
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Just a quick question:

How come materials look different in Max 09 and Max 10?
    I set up a scene in 09 and when I open it in 10, my objetcs are waaaaay brighter etc.
    Does it load additional lights or... i don´t know : (
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I am having an install issue with the 2012 64bit Student/Free version.

Run 3DS Max normal and it doesn't install (says it can't install). Run 3DS Max as Admin, try to drag and drop and I get the interdiction sign. Then if I go to scripts>Run it will say it installed successfully, then it will not be in the materials panel after I restart Max.

Is it the version of 3DS Max I am running?
This discussion has been closed.