Home Stickies

XoliulShader 2

Replies

• CharlesW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I'm having a serious problem with the xolioulshader2. Every-time I try to install it an error meesage comes up saying. Error: Could not install. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks.
  • Sevv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try running Max as administrator and running the script rather than drag and drop into the viewport.
  • CharlesW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sevv. Worked like a charm.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    25471700.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

really annoying error I've been getting and it's not letting me use this epic looking shader :( any ideas?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Run as admin, gibson, like the 100 others that asked this before ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad that there's now a large body of water between us, as I wouldn't want to be on the same continent when Laurens finally snaps.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah I'd hope I don't sound like that! It's just a bit discouraging at times to see people completely ignore the help file that took me a full week to write.. But I added a little image to the opening post that hopefully remedies this a bit ;)
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just point people who email me to this thread. :(
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :/ ah sorry xoliul thanks for the help though
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Seriously, why wouldn't anyone run Max in Admins mode? It solves alot of issues, especially hotkey and UI wise.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh people like me that weren't aware it solved a lot of issues....
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's when you leave that silly Windows UAC thing on. It drives me nuts so I completely turn it off, but I think a lot of people don't bother with that.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Is there a reason there's so much application "hang" when choosing the material from the "standard" list? It locks up max for like 15-20 seconds (both at work and at home). I've noticed this does not happen with other advanced shaders, such as 3PS'
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only the first time, you mean ?
    If so, this is from the help:
    1. The shader will take a while to load the first time, this is due to advanced shadow functions being compiled by 3DS Max. Don't panic, it can take up to 15 seconds.

3Point doesn't have it because they don't support soft or area shadows.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've noticed it does that with RTT sometimes. Were you using that dialog by any chance ?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, can I ask anyone using my shader/interested in imprving realtime rendering in general, to go and vote on my suggestion to Autodesk?

Better support and integration for DirectX shaders

I hope when enough people vote, they'll take it seriously..

Also here's an other suggestion of mine I hope they'll take into account:

Improve Qualified Normals
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks, Xoliul, for a great shader. It even looks better without any lighting setup.
    I have one suggestion though; It would be good if I could see what texture file a certain material is currently using. Right now it's a thumbnail of the texture but if there are several similar ones then it's pretty hard to determine which file it's using without seeing the file name. Do you think you could add the files the shader is currently using somewhere?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean like a global overview of all referenced textures, by all shader instances? It shouldn't be too hard to create that, I'm not sure where you would view these or invoke the UI element for it though.
    If you wanna see the filename btw, it's in the tooltip of the refresh button.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Xoliul wrote: »
    You mean like a global overview of all referenced textures, by all shader instances? It shouldn't be too hard to create that, I'm not sure where you would view these or invoke the UI element for it though.
    If you wanna see the filename btw, it's in the tooltip of the refresh button.

Ah, cool. Didn't know that, thanks!
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Hey there Xoliul,

I was wondering. Suppose I wanted to render a short film using Xoliul Shader 2.0, would that be possible?
    we're talking environment, camera movements, full animation, detailed models, etc.
    I can guess that the shader is designed for model presentation, at least by what's been done with it so far (that I've seen). But being able to render a 2-3 minute short with it could allow me to achieve a very nice look for our film.

I'm not the biggest technical wiz when it comes to this sort of thing, so I figured I'd better ask.

Crossing my fingers now. :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grabbing an animation is not difficult, you can use Leslie's grabviewport script to do it hoghres, or 3Point Viewthief.
    The big difficulty will be the environments. Depends on what you want, I think an interior is not so hard, but a big outdoor forest... I wouldn't try. You'll also get problems with shadows due to the environment sizes (low res shadowmaps), so the shots should be in confined spaces as much as possible.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, the film's 95% interior, so I guess it's worth a test. thanks :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The performance will suffer, and in some cases, your Normal orientation will flip if you scale or do anything else to the pieces.

My last portfolio was done with RT-Shaders in Max. I was averaging 1FPS, with 3 second lags, and had to keep on resetting XForm.

Plus, you won't be able to get decent or any shadows in some cases.

All this was with Max 2012, I suggest trying Max 2011, but honestly, RT shaders are better off for environment pieces in actual game engines.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    hey was wondering how to make the alpha channel opacity work

i'v placed the opacity map in the diffuse and it doesnt work for some reason

im using the older version of the shader btw

so what else do i need to do to make it work
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf,

Make sure you check the box to use opacity
    use a 32bpc TGA file.
    Don't use "Color Diffuse"
    Set viewport transparency quality to "None"
    Try to avoid difficult alpha sorting issues with planes intersecting.
    If you have an ATI card, you might be out of luck..
    If all else fails, you could stil try starting with a blank scene, and importing your geometry without any shaders, then setting everything up again.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx man
    i worked when i change the file to TGA

haha

im on ATI btw

:)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    nevermind, problem solved.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Did a quick search through this thread and didn't see it mentioned:

Is there any reason why shading selected faces red would stop working on meshes with a Xoliul material applied? Essentially when I select a face, the edges turn red, but may flicker back to white, and the face does not colour at all. It's becoming a real pain to work around.

My driver is listed as Direct3D 9.0, GeForce GTX 560, Thanks for any help!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's because of Ambient Occlusion. Nothing I can help, but just turn off SSAO. You really shouldn't be modeling with that on anyway.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I think I've encountered a bug. Sometimes when I open a certain Xoliul shader material it uses a texture map for the glow automatically. I'm not sure if I've done anything to cause that but it happens on a shader with skin material and lighting. Other times it just resets everything and removes all of the texture maps I'm using.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this when using RTT? It really just doesn't play nice with that.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I think it's because of Ambient Occlusion. Nothing I can help, but just turn off SSAO. You really shouldn't be modeling with that on anyway.

I'm not using AO or realistic lighting in the viewport. Also, it only seems to affect certain meshes and not others, but I have no idea what the difference is.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm ok, I can't reproduce that then. I tried it here and it really was down to the SSAO, for both mine and 3Point shader.
    I should advice you not to model too much with the shader though, I just have two sets of materials and switch between them if I want to model or display.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Nelis wrote: »
    Ran into some problems initially when installing but i got it working now.
    Thought i'd write down what i did to fix my problem to help the next guy out.

So my problem was what some other people are getting, Error: Could not install.
    Like Dismembered wrote the solution to this may be to run Max in administrator mode.
    To accomplish this hold down CTRL and SHIFT and then click the 3dsmax exe.

Once i had it opened up in administrator mode i ran into another problem which was that i couldn't drag drop the mzp file into the viewport the way it is shown in the install guide.

You can solve this problem by unzipping the mzp file, make a new folder then go to run script on the MAX script (top left) and then run the mzpinstall.ms file from the folder you just created.

Once you run it the installer should pop up and you should be able to install it correctly.

Hopefully this can be of help to someone :)
    Again thanks to Laurens and Robbert for this shader system, i'll gladly donate and help you guys continue developing awesome shaders.

You RULE! This helped me 100%
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About to get a new PC, but I want to continue using this shader.

Ati or Nvidia? Or does it not matter?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nvidia for the love of god, lol ! anything above GTX 280 should run this spiffingly; I have a 570 for example.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    So I don't know if this is just me, but the shader keeps pulling my old maps out of thin air. I have tried re-installing, and I read a few pages back about extracting the fx file and replacing it in the Max directory. All of these are only temporary fixes, and the issue keeps coming up. Sorry if I read over something and missed my answer, as I have read through this 12 page post a couple of times, but is there a fix for this?

Max 2012
    Win 7
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    transparency doesn't work with soft shadows, is this a max issue? and is there away to make hard shadows not really pixelated?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I have animated some of my materials by mistake and I would like to remove all of the keys. When I remove keyframes by entering the 'controller bezier float' windows that pop up but some keyframes are still there(according to the material itself the settings are the same throughout the animation even though I can see that the material is changing).
    I tried searching for this in the faq and the help, didn't find anything. I apologize in advance if I've missed it.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow uhm, I have to be honest and say I have no idea. I've never bothered animating shaders yet: if I do any realtime animation it would be through the UV's.
    It's probably easiest to just create a preset from your material, clear it/create a new one and then reload the presets.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Max bug in that case, it probably doesn't clear keys for scripted plugins or scripted material plugins or something.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Wow uhm, I have to be honest and say I have no idea. I've never bothered animating shaders yet: if I do any realtime animation it would be through the UV's.
    It's probably easiest to just create a preset from your material, clear it/create a new one and then reload the presets.

That's a great workaround. Thanks guys!
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Hello people..I have a problem as depicted below..I'm highly suspect that it's a noob question but I'm %100 sure about there's something really wrong.My textures don't show up right(including baked Normal Maps).What does cause that?Gamma correction?I've played with the values but didn't get any correct result.Gamma 1.0 is still wrong as gamma 2.2
    The picture taken with gamma 2.2.If there's another problem pls let me know,thanks.
    gammaprob.jpg
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, this is free? You generous ingenious mofos! I just went through a couple of the videos and it was really impressive!

Whos that futuristic Chinese looking character with the purple suit on? It looks amazing, the most eye-catching model on the page, second to that red speedway race car. Is it ripped from a game or was it some1's original hard work?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    igi wrote: »
    Hello people..I have a problem as depicted below..I'm highly suspect that it's a noob question but I'm %100 sure about there's something really wrong.My textures don't show up right(including baked Normal Maps).What does cause that?Gamma correction?I've played with the values but didn't get any correct result.Gamma 1.0 is still wrong as gamma 2.2
    The picture taken with gamma 2.2.If there's another problem pls let me know,thanks.
    gammaprob.jpg

Did you try to disable Gamma/Lut altogether or did you just fiddle with the settings?
    If you only changed the settings, try to disable it.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    @ SpeCter

Gamma/LUT correction already disabled.Conversely I've enabled it and fiddle with setting then I noticed that 3dsmax is gamma corrects the source images from photoshop.I set all values to 1.0 and 2.2 for the xoliul and it works out perfect!

Thanks for the help,appreciated :thumbup:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worth keeping mind my shader does not alter any texturemaps. If they come in wrong, it's because Max feeds the wrong thing.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostM4_Call_of_duty.jpg

hey btw i used your old shader here, if u wanna use it in your site, youre welcome

thanx alot for the help :)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Woah, this is free? You generous ingenious mofos! I just went through a couple of the videos and it was really impressive!

Whos that futuristic Chinese looking character with the purple suit on? It looks amazing, the most eye-catching model on the page, second to that red speedway race car. Is it ripped from a game or was it some1's original hard work?

It's Hazardous' entry for last year's brawl contest. http://www.kalescentstudios.com/troyfolio/Main.htm
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    Probable answered before, but I have read the FAQ and searched the thread and the net but I cant find the answer. Why is it doing this in some of my scenes but not other?
    1911_Problem_1.jpg

The scene worked before but not anymore. And I always run as administrator.
This discussion has been closed.