Home Stickies

XoliulShader 2

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Question is, which version of Max. On 2011, it acts correctly, but in 2012, I get that annoying 'light missing' pop up, and green flips my red channel.

Food for thought.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'm testing this in 2012. I'm starting to suspect Autodesk is doing a few lovely things behind the scenes...
    What "Light Missing" popup btw ?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, some weird pop up in the listener asking for lights. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but in Max 2012, but in 2011, it works fine.

Again, most likely stuff on my end and 2012. Nothing really to worry about I would say since most likely it's something Autodesk has to fix.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's some weird bug with the RTT dialog clearing the light update function, sloppy code from Autodesk probably, but since it hasn't been updated since 2004 (the file says so), it's up to us to work around it. That's something R-J will try to fix once he has his pc...
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a new laptop next weeek. Yeeeeeeey
    Cant wait to kill some bugs
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, you guys are too kind. Fixing problems which doesn't belong to you. Very commendable, I must say.

Thanks and good lucks mates!
  • ComanderBARNIK
    Xoliul would be great if only viewport on Direct X wouldnt lag so much. I got 17 fps. I'm imagining it would be about 1-2fps with all those awesome hq settings. I am running win7 x64 + 3,4ghz intel i7 + nvidia geforce GTX570 + 8gb ram 1600mhz.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul would be great if only viewport on Direct X wouldnt lag so much. I got 17 fps. I'm imagining it would be about 1-2fps with all those awesome hq settings. I am running win7 x64 + 3,4ghz intel i7 + nvidia geforce GTX570 + 8gb ram 1600mhz.

WTF? Sounds like something is seriously wrong on your end. For me DX9 runs much faster than Nitrous! I've got the same specs as you (exact same even) and it runs perfect. I suggest updating driver or something ?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I think the same, mine is inferior in every aspect and for me it´s smooth like silk.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It had to do with the mesh and what you're doing in it.

If you have AO enabled, 4K textures loaded up in PSD format in X-Shader and mutiple copies of the shader with mutiple models, then it will run very badly.

Also, in 2012, when you rig up your character, having a shader on it the last thing you want.
  • Wasper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, did I miss anything or am I simply blind? All my models always appear only in grey on the rendered image. Even when I set up random boxes and give them any diffuse color in Xolilul, they are always rendered grey, no matter what kind of settings I try - though they are ok in the viewport and rendered perfectly again, when I switch back to other shaders.

Here an example: I applied the Xolilul shader only to the hull of the tank, and it's grey again.
    Also tried it with Max 2011, same result. *shrug*

PS: This is my first time using Xolilul, so maybe I really missed something. Though the help file couldn't give me an answer ;)

Here's what I mean (I applied the Xolilul shader only on the hull, the rest of the tank is still default mats):

kv1xolilul.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a realtime shader, not meant to be rendered, and Max cannot render viewport shaders anyhow.

The only other solution would be using the script on X's site (Viewport Grabber) to high rez screenshot of your model.
  • Wasper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha, thanks for the advice. But too bad, that Max2009 has some issues with AA in the viewport (means not applying AA) :/ Even when you set it to a fix value in your video card driver, Max simply ignores it for some reason.

Hmm, just tried Max2011 on a colleague's computer, the same problem: Max ignores the AA settings, set in the driver (both computers use ATI video cards).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In 2011 you can set it in-application, driver config menu. Alternatively, you screengrab at very high res (500px wide) and rescale it to get even better AA.

You should really look at some of the video's, Wasper, if you didn't catch the fact yet that a shader is viewport-only.
  • Wasper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, done that and got it working now in 2009 with the Grabviewport 2.1 script. That fixes my AA problem.
    I'm really satisfied with the results. :)

PS: Sorry when I sounded a little bit noobish, but it's really the first time I'm working with real time shaders. For years I was bound to rendering.
  • < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    < ASH > polycounter lvl 13
    Wasper wrote: »
    Hmm, did I miss anything or am I simply blind? All my models always appear only in grey on the rendered image. Even when I set up random boxes and give them any diffuse color in Xolilul, they are always rendered grey, no matter what kind of settings I try - though they are ok in the viewport and rendered perfectly again, when I switch back to other shaders.

Here an example: I applied the Xolilul shader only to the hull of the tank, and it's grey again.
    Also tried it with Max 2011, same result. *shrug*

PS: This is my first time using Xolilul, so maybe I really missed something. Though the help file couldn't give me an answer ;)

Here's what I mean (I applied the Xolilul shader only on the hull, the rest of the tank is still default mats)

I don't know if this solution will fit your needs but for a project I completed recently (where I had to show the project both in realtime in the 3DS Max viewport and rendered with MentalRay) i used a SHELL MATERIAL where in the 1s slot I plugged a Standard Material (meant to be rendered) and in the 2nd one I plugged a DirectX Shader (to be displayed in realtime). Then on the side of the materials you can decide which one to display in viewport and which one to render.

1shelmat.jpg

So in your case you can create a Standard material to be rendered in the 1st slot and the Xoliul Shader in the 2nd one to be displayed in realtime.

Hope it helps. ;)

Ash/Andrea
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries guys, it's just that i stand quite firm in being convinced you do not need to render once you're using a powerfull shader. Never, ever again :)

Just look at Endo's example to prove my point:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuZwAGIaf7k&quot;]XoliulShader 2.0 - MiNE's R35 GT-R - Realtime Render Test - YouTube[/ame]
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Xoliul i tried again your shader and i'm pretty sure that the Y flip channel don't work as expected ! It flip the R channel of the texture so X (left right) and not G channel (so Y channel top bottom). Can you please confirm that ?
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Graham don't trust the Y flip axis channel button, just go inside photoshop and flip the green channel of your normal map by hand (go to Green Channel select everything and ctrl+I) --> I think that it will solve your problems.

As i told Y flip channel don't work as expected ! It flip the R channel of the texture instead of Green channel ...

Can someone confirm that ?
  • < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    No worries guys, it's just that i stand quite firm in being convinced you do not need to render once you're using a powerfull shader. Never, ever again :)

I am pretty sure about your statement (and I would like to avoid to render anymore). :thumbup:

Btw I have a question for you. In the last project I worked on, where every object had a Diffuse + a Lightmap texture, I wanted to use your realtime shader but I didn't managed to find where I have to "plug" the lightmap. So in the end I choose to use the DirectX Shader.

I had a (quick) look to the FAQ on the website and to the documentation, but I didn't manage to find an answer to my doubt, so in the and I have been forced (because of time contrains) to use the DirectX Shader built in 3DS max.

Can you englight me on this please? :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus wrote: »
    Xoliul i tried again your shader and i'm pretty sure that the Y flip channel don't work as expected ! It flip the R channel of the texture so X (left right) and not G channel (so Y channel top bottom). Can you please confirm that ?

Cath, this is some sort of weird thing with autodesk I think.

Can you state:
    -What max version you try this in
    -What you used to bake your normalmap
    -Are Qualified Normals enabled ?

best of all would be if you could share this model + normalmap with me to test, since as i stated before, All my testcases work perfect...

<Ash>: lightmap was cut unfortunately. You can still find it in the legacy core FX shaders (1.6 still has it i think), but no new interface for it I'm afraid.
  • < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <Ash>: lightmap was cut unfortunately. You can still find it in the legacy core FX shaders (1.6 still has it i think), but no new interface for it I'm afraid.

Oh ok! Now it make sense! Thanks for the update, and no worries: your shader it's still amazing! :)
    I will have a look to the core FX shaders 1.6 then! :thumbup:
  • Graham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Xoliul,

I apologize for not replying earlier, I didn't realize that the thread had gone on to page 7. :P

Anyway, I tried flipping the green channel in photoshop manually, and you were correct. In 3ds max 2010 the results are identical now, if not better in v2.

Other problem still remains in max 2012 however. Neither 1.5 or 2.0 look nice, they are both under-lit and filled with hard black areas as if not even touched by light in those spots.

Thanks for looking into this! If you want I can send you a sample.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Graham and Xoliul --> I was right :-) Got the same problem here. Using max 2011 and qualified normal map off.

@Xoliul my normals maps are create with "nDo", so no baked in any software juste done with photoshop.

You can try to unfold a box one uv cluster by poly than select all those polys inside photoshop and turn them as normal map into nDo.

And try it with Xoliul Shader 2.0 you'll get strange result. Untill you'll be flipping the G channel (so invert Y axis) inside photoshop.

Xoliul just send me by private message your mail i'll be sending you a zip file. if you don't want to create the box and the Nmap as i told here.

Thanks in advance.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried, yeah, doesn't work correctly for NDo normals. There's no option in NDo to flip any channels as far as i can see tho ? I'm running an older NDo version though.

It does however work perfectly for baked maps from Max itself... (more important IMO)

But I'll look into it.
    Graham wrote: »
    Other problem still remains in max 2012 however. Neither 1.5 or 2.0 look nice, they are both under-lit and filled with hard black areas as if not even touched by light in those spots.

Try turning off Gamma correction for your file.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is the problem really well explained (attached picture) ! nDo will be a major normal map creating system because it can totally replace baking !

Owever tons of engine use by default normal map as created by nDo (our engine does).

There are solution to flip the nmap directly into nDo but actually it's a bit hard. Teddy (the creator of nDo will do an option for that). But as i told you our engine use normal map directly out of ndo. Going to photoshop to flip my G channel for XoliulShader is a waste of time. More of all because there is a green flip channel inside you shader (that doesn't work).

I'm sad i can't use your shader ...

xoliulflipgreenchannelp.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I went ahead and did a little update to fix some of the worst problems.

What's fixed:

• Temporary fix to handle callback problems after opening RTT dialog in 2012. In 2010 RTT dialog still clears shader settings, will be looked at later.
    • Thumb images should not give anymore problems with non-admin mode. I haven't really verified this at it's very annoying to switch (requires reboot).
    • Flip R/G confusion cleared up, should be correct now.
    More thorough updates should come later on, but this is a temp patch for people having these problems atm.

You can get the Slim version if you don't want a 30mb download. In my case updating acted weird, had to delete all files and manually extract from mzp (it kept putting the old files back even though deleted). Just a warning..
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul just tried to donwload the version on your website.

1.I deleted everything here C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\XoliulShaderUI

2.Than did an install.

3.But the G axis bug seems to be still there.

Do the mzp file on http://xoliulshader.com/download is the good one ? I took the full not the "Slim".

I also noticed that the uninstall function of Xoliul shader don't work :

/*
    XoliulShader 2 Uninstal
    Version : 1.1
    Developed By : Robbert-Jan Brems
    Info: www.nysuatro.com and http://www.laurenscorijn.com/
    Description: Uninstalling the fx and startupscripts
    Year : 2011
    */
    (
    deletefile "$maps\\fx\\Xoliulshader_2.0.fx"
    deletefile "$maps\\fx\\Xoliulshader_2.0_max2009.fx"
    deletefile "$Scripts\\Startup\\XoliulShader_Startup.ms"
    m_Location = "scripts"
    m_ProjectName = "XoliulShaderUI"
    userScriptFolderPath = (pathConfig.GetDir (execute("#"+m_Location))+"\\" + m_ProjectName + "\\")
    if(DirectoryExists userScriptFolderPath)then(
    DeleteDosCommand = "RMDIR \""
    DeleteDosCommand = append DeleteDosCommand userScriptFolderPath
    DeleteDosCommand = append DeleteDosCommand "\" /S /Q"
    DOSCommand DeleteDosCommand
    )
    )
    xoliulstillproblem.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's the problem i had as well. It just doesn't want to update and pulls the old file out of thin air again...

Try this, cath:

-delete Xoliulshader_2.0.fx from maps/fx
    -extract the xoliulshader_2.0.fx file to maps/fx from the XoliulShaderUI.mzp file with WinRar.
    If windows tells you the file you're copying is newer and larger, that's a hint you're actually fixing it.

I've got to figure out why this is happening really, I just don't get it..

-Uninstall does not work, true. The installscript is not written by me however, it's a separate system we're using from someone else. He's gonna have to look into that.
  • Graham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul, my Gamma/LUT correction was off already by default, enabling it over saturates my textures or something, just doesn't look good either.

UPDATE: This part may stump you... I installed 3pointshader in 2012, immediately afterwards I opened up my scene and the darkness issue was gone in XoliulShader. So it would appear installing 3point fixed the issue I was having with your shader. v1.5 now works as expected, same as in 2010. v2.0 is almost working, just looking a little muted compared.

EDIT: v2.0 is looking good, I just turned down the gamma correction in XoliulShader.

Thanks for the help!
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul thanks a ton. This is working !

I'd like to ask you something more. Do you plan to let the user chagne the normal map strenght ? That would be nice.

And a bouton (that will empty a slot), something like an unload texture button (maybe a cross somwhere).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal Strength slider.. perhaps, but since this shader isn't really meant for tiling generic environment stuff it's a bit less appropriate IMO. I think we don't really have space for it in the Ui also...

Emptying a slot I don't think is necessary, if you turn it off it really does the same thing, until you load a different texture again. Clearing everything is done by just creating a new XS in the material slot. I can see where you're coming from, but the old Shaders never had that either, I think people just want this because the thumbnail still shows or something. But think about it, it doesn't actually matter..
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't recommend you to play with your Normal Map, especially in shader solution, unless as X said, you were doing some rudimentary changes to an environmental piece, in the case of X-Shader, this wouldn't work since it's for single piece assets.

Also, they can break very easily and give off very odd results. Max is known for this, if you want a more robust method of playing with your Normals, a game engine would suit your needs better.

Just deepen your Normal Map in PS, if you must. It will get the job done, but honestly, it better if you do it on your mesh and rebake it.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul Ok If we can turn off some slots, i agree it's not absolutely needed. But How do your turn of a normal map ? (Didn't found the way). We don't need some more space inside the UI a right click menu allowing a pop up with (clear) option, can be enough (it's what allow 3dmax currently with "standard" materials).

About the normal map strenght i got a normal map that is shown as needed inside the engine but with xoliul i get strange results. I got the same problem with a standard max shader with show hardware map in viewport enabled but with the standard material if i calm down the normal strenght it fix my problem.

I can give you exemple but not today i'm tired.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cath, did you read the help/watch the 101 video? It says how you deal with image buttons, once loaded, left click to en/disable a texture.

Your strange normalmap I have no idea honestly. Maybe you could pass me the file? Email's l.corijn at gmail.com
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xoliul,

I watched the video but some weeks ago (sorry you did a really good work about documentation but my spirit is a bit overloaded actually).

I'm not using your shader currently i did it for our character artist (reporting the Y axis bug).

I'll be sending you the scene tommorrow my friend. And thanks again !

My portfolio will love you shader (was using marmoset before).

See u

Ps : Can you say hello to Vincent Joyau for me, if you meet him at splash damage.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem man, I figured you'd have just forgotten :)
    Does that mean you're using XS2 @ Nadeo? Always cool to hear this sort of stuff!

I'll Say hi to Vincent, he sits just behind me! (if he doesn't read this first lol)
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah 2 modelers use it !
  • ComanderBARNIK
  • ComanderBARNIK
    WTF? Sounds like something is seriously wrong on your end. For me DX9 runs much faster than Nitrous! I've got the same specs as you (exact same even) and it runs perfect. I suggest updating driver or something ?

Well its not the question of textures or poly. up to 100k with everything visible, no fancy textures at all. Nvidia drivers are best possible. Could it be aero on maximum quality? Shouldnt be much of an impact as far as I know.. :/
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Xoluil,

Love the shader and have been using it for some time now.

I have a question and a request.

The question ...

What is the optimum value to get the full range out of a specular map without any clamping of the values within the texture.

For example, if i set the Specular value to say 50, on a specular texture that uses the full range 0 - 255 ... am i clamping the texture in way and therefore loosing the subtle variations on the map?

The request ...

This is for hair, but I can imagine many other uses for this. Can we have the ability to set a different UV channel for the alpha.

So my hair fins diffuse channel would use UV1 for colour, but then use UV2 for its alpha. This would give me excellent control over the fin hair alpha, but also allow me to paint better quality alpha textures and make better use of the alpha channel

Going further from that ... If I could then load a separate Alpha texture I could increase the quality and effective resolution of the alpha and even reduce its texture size to a quarter its original size.

What do you think?

Do you also have any solutions for alpha sorting in the max viewport?

My character has quite the hair do ... as i wanted to avoid the standard ponytail and push it a little.

thanks
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARNIK, really man, this is something I can't advise you much about. As I said, the same and even lesser specs run the shader fine. Yeah, try turning down Aero perhaps..

Jaffa:
    You're talking about the Specular multiply value? That doesn't get clamped anywhere. All it does is scale your texture's range upwards. You're not losing subtle variations, you're only going to be making the limited 8bpp stepping slightly more obvious. But really, that's only going to happen in very select cases with extremely high multipliers. Nothing to worry about.

The hair:
    I see where you're coming from. We might do that some day, but there's a bit of rework required for that, since moving the UI around right now is a tedious process.
    There actually is a solution for alpha sorting, called clipping, but I think autodesk has broken it or something in 2012. It's on our list to look at for the next update.
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks anyways Xoliul and cheers for the speedy reply.

I don't suppose you know of any other Viewport shaders that can I could use for the hair and eyes?

Even Max's viewport shader wont allow me to use map channel 2 for the alpha in the viewport, but will display correctly when i do a render :s

Its times like this I wish I had two brain cells to rub together so i could so some shadery type voodoo.

thanks again.
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya,

I've just installed Max2012 64bit SP2 and thought I'd try your shader.

Weirdly, all the lights are always strongly tinted Yellow, even when using default settings or adding any lights or adding any maps.

Max's scene and default viewport lights have the tint
    The yellow tint is seen in any omni lights I create
    Gamma and LUT are off
    I have re-installed the shader and the effect persists.

Max's viewport shader appears to work correctly.

This doesnt happen in max2010 or max2011

It must be my max settings doing this but I have looked in all the obvious places and its still yellow. Any ideas where the light/specular colour might be set?

I'll try an upload a screenshot somewhere, but I'm without any webspace atm :S

Looks like i'm stuck in max2010 for a little longer :(

Thanks
  • KoKos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys ! Thanks a lot for all your work ! I love your shader :)

It works like a charm except for one thing; I hope it won't sound too retarded

When i re-open a scene, the shadows are all deactivated and i need to click on the umbrella icon for each material to get them back.

It won't be a problem if i had only two or three materials in the scene, unfortunately i work with much more :(.

I installed the service pack1, hotfixes and all for max2010; do you guys have any ideas ?

Thanks a lot again :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaffa: you can set light colors by right clicking the bulb icon. i have never heard of this problem before though...

KoKos: My first guess would be SP's and Hotfixes, double check you have all of them, they only really fixed this problem in the 4th or 5th hotfix...
    If that's not it, I'll have a look, but I'm sure this is not an issue in the latest Max versions like 2012, I'd have noticed.
  • KoKos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ! got it working !! one hotfix was missing :\

Sorry for the trouble :/ and thanks a lot for answering so fast, you guys sure are quite motivated about what you do :)
  • ComanderBARNIK
    Xoliul, I figured it out. Apparently max vievport on DX9 lags insanely when using wacom intuos4. Works fine when using mouse. Nitrous don't have this issue. Pretty weird huh?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well I thought you'd have noticed that. It's probably those terrible "Ripple" effects from Windows 7, absolute worst feature in the entire OS. I think Spectre wrote a tool to disable them, you should look for it.
    I had to do it at work too, it's just beacuse DirectX doesn't like Window's fancy little tablet effects being drawn on top.
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HI Xoliul,

I checked the light colour via your UI, but its still White by default. This is an odd problem but I'm not that fussed about max 2012 anyways. Aside from the improved Graphite tools and UV stuff, its really not worth it. and it runs so much slower than max2010.. I do wish we could strip Max down to a few bare essentials and save some memory ...

I digress ...

I now have a problem with the max viewport grab script. Is this the correct forum post questions? Does Leslie Broeck have his own thread?

The problem is the alpha edges on my hair planes don't scaled up with the rest of the image .. Just the edges, it seems to carry through the 1 bit version of my alpha, but not the aliased edges.

Why is hair so difficult? lol .. My next character is going to be bald!
This discussion has been closed.