Home Stickies

XoliulShader 2

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.laurenscorijn.com/xoliulshader

Temp page I set up. I don't have that much time these days but I'll try to get something sorted...
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks jagheterjan, sorry to hear about your hosting issues Xoliul, hope it all gets sorted out!
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    The link on your portfolio site is not working for me, its giving me an error. I managed to get the .mzp downloaded but was really hoping to read through the faq and watch the videos.

Hope you can get a site up and running again soon, sorry to hear it went bust!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out scott, I just forgot the http://.
    Video's are still on youtube, I linked them up. The help is offline but since that's a whole separate page, I can just add those to my own site tonight.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Xoliul big fan of your craft!

is there any download mirror up somewhere on the net i just re-installed my system and no your shader missed the backup disk drive

Big thanks!

edit: saw the last couple of post move along move along!!

thanks again for the shader
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I have another question. Since I can't get the normals to match in 2013 between DX9 Xoliul and the renderer, which one is "right"? Say with Unreal, does it go off of the way it looks in the Max viewport, or the way it looks in the renderer?

Also, is it possible to render the normal maps in such a way so it matches with the viewport and not the renderer?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unreal is mostly like Max DX9 viewport without Qualified/Quality normals. That means splitting UV's and matching smoothing groups a lot, or adding lots of supporting geometry. Pretty much getting the worst case to look good :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh I see. So then do you know if it's possible to bake normals some how to match the DX9 viewport instead of the renderer?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, use Qualified normals, there's a switcher script included with the Shader. If that doesn't work, the 3Point modifier might.
    It doesn't change the baking, it changes the display in the viewport.
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Hello Xoliul, i there a working version for softimage? if not will you make one? That would be nice, thanks in advance.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone made a port a few years ago, it's incomplete though. I don't know where to find that anymore.
    I won't work on SoftImage because I don't know the application and have very little time for it. Last time I tried it (official, legal trial version) it didn't even start on my computer, just crashed right away.
    Also I will definitely not be making a UI-version for any other application than Max.
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, thanks you for your reply :).
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I love the shader and all but I am having a huge problem with seeing vertexes with this shader. I want to use it to model and everything, but I think it may just be the Direct3D driver in 3DS max 2012.

Here is my problem: http://i.imgur.com/qjxsH.jpg

As you can see, I have vertex selection mode on in the editible poly modifier, but I can barely see the vertex markers! They are small 1 pixel markers and this makes modeling almost impossible!

Please help!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not my shader, but your graphics drivers causing problems. My shader doesn't draw or change the vert markers. You can change the size on them in the options menu, give that a try.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get that same problem too. What fixes it for me, and this is gonna sound random, but you select some vert and hit W to go into the move tool, then hit R to go into the scale tool, and back to W for move. Don't know why it works, but it works for me. So try it.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    I get the same thing in Max as well. The solution Bigjohn mentioned tends to work. There is also a wonky bug that if you hide something in another sub-object mode (like element) then unhide, the verts will stay hidden until you unhide them in vert mode. weeeeird.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Just to provide another solution to the vert display issue: if you are working with your viewport maximized, go back to having all four windows, go out of vertex sub-object mode, and then go back to it. This has fixed it for me quite a few times.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm having problems with the Xoliul shader (the latest from 09/10/2011) and normal maps baked in Max2013. I'm getting that good ol' normal map seam where you get the seam in the viewport, but it's not there when you render. I think it's that tangent basis issue. I don't recall having this issue with normal maps baked in Max 2011 and Xoliul.

Did something change in 2013? Any workaround for this (other than to bake in an older Max)?

Yup. Strange shading here in 2013 (DX9) as well.. Qualified normals are on, Gamma is off. *sigh*
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Does the mask for the reflection have no effect on the the cube map?
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just installed max 2013. I don't understand how you set up this shader with the slate editor. Also for the viewport are you using the realistic setting or shaded?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I couldn't get the shader to work in 2012 with Nitro for viewport, had to revert to Direct3D, as the shader just stayed black. So if thats your issue, you might need to do that.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Nitrous doesn't support custom shaders I don't think. So you have to use DX9 for Xoliul to work. And in 2013 if you use DX9 there's a discrepancy between how the normals appear in the viewport and in a render. In the past you could fix that with the Qualified Normals fix, but that doesn't seem to work anymore in 2013. Maybe it's still there, but the setting has to go in a different file? I don't know.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Hi, I'm Gene and I have a problem.

I am using 3DS Max 2013 with the Xoliulshader2009.fx without the interface. I have this 3D model and I have baked the normals on them already. The problem is that when I open the file it would randomly be flipped, or correct. Now, when I flip the green channel it looks even worse. So I don't think its the bake but rather the shader itself? Maybe it's not playing nice with 2013.

7747435968_474a32ce84_c.jpg

One time I did delete the old file from the folder, renamed it and it worked. So something screwy is going on...HALP!

So it's got something to do with 2013? Cuz now im using 2012 and its fine. Something with qualified normals?
  • Jamie!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamie! polycounter lvl 7
    After a reinstall I forgot to save this and now the site has been down for a few days. Is there anywhere else to download it?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Just look up the page, Xoliul's site is down, but he placed it here:
  • Jamie!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamie! polycounter lvl 7
    Perfect, Thanks!
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are those links relevant to the Maya shader as well? I can only find the 3ds Max one:(
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems that site for xoliulshader2 is down... Is there another way to obtain it? I need another installer for new workstation, so if anyone has it I am interested :)

edit:nevermind, I'm retard.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to arrange a new host, but I have been so busy with my current project :(
    I will let you guys know once I got the site online again.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    While we're at it, I'm running into another problem with the shader. At work whenever I make a material into the Xoliul material, it shoots an error at line 2362. The line reads:
    filePath_Diffuse = (delegate.diffuseMap as string)

The error makes sense. It says:
    -- Runtime error: Error opening bitmap: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\scripts\XoliulShaderUI\images\NoImage.png

It makes sense, cause at work they have this system that pushes new versions of 3dsmax automatically, and so my 3dsmax install is at C:\3dsMax2013x64

I'm guessing the shader is looking for that image in a predetermined spot.

Edit:
    Stupid simley faces. It should be C : \

I'm having the exact same problem, the script is looking for the image on the drive F that i even don't have. I've tried to look into the script ms and ini files for where could that path be defined to fix it, but no luck.

Edit: fixed it, it happens because i had this max scene on another computer, and it was looking for the no-image on the same folder.
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billabong polycounter lvl 15
    I am having a problem with the color Dif map. For some reason it will not give the entire model the color that I choose. All polys have the same id. Not really sure what to do here. Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm starting to think this is more of a model/geometry problem more than a shader problem, will run some more tests tonight if if it still screws up, ill just post a new thread with the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

color.jpg
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I just did a test, I applied a red layer to my AO map and put that in the diffuse slot of your shader. That worked correctly, but when I use Color Dif map, it doesn't color the entire object. I have reset the xform, ran an STL check, neither one of those worked. So I'm stumped.

-B
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's because you have an alpha in the diffusemap, it masks the color application by alpha. It says so clearly in the help, which is included with the shader.
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my apologies Laurens
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, that's alright, the FAQ is offline so you couldn't have read that. And most people seem to miss the included help file anyway.
  • danRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danRod polycounter lvl 18
    does anyone have the download or a file they can set up for download, the website to download is down:(
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

temp download space. Robbert-Jan is working on getting the hosting set up.
  • danRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet this is version 2 I take it?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I don't think I even have the old versions up somewhere.
  • danRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude this is so awesome! Thanks for your hard work and releasing this to peeps! Do you have a donation link anywhere for yourself? :)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Does this shader work in Max 2008? I get a script window and "-Type error: set property requires BitMap, got: undefined" message each time I try to use a texture file.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No sorry, max 2009 onwards only.
  • r-a-n-d-o-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is definitly something different in 3DsMax 2013 in combination with the Xoliul 2 Shader. See this example, same file opened in both max2012 en 2013:

Xoliul2_Problem.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Max 2013 is broken.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's a pain in the ass.
  • r-a-n-d-o-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And we're going to just leave it at that?
    Let's spam Autodesk !

PS
    Was hoping for a more technical anwser ;-)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I tested Max 2013.

It's broken, every single shader out there has this problem(mine, 3point, etc). It looks like Autodesk has actually broken tangent space for Direct3D, as it doesn't even work with their own DX display of normalmaps.

I'm going to try and reach someone at Autodesk because it's well possible they're not even aware of this issue.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autodesk amuse me. In an angry way.

Slightly related: Exporting meshes from Max 13 with qualified normals still preserves tangent space (I did a - slightly panicked - comparison between '12 and '13 a while ago). Which makes the above issue more puzzling, if anything.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They've been messing with their tangents for a LOOONG time now, in Max 2012 for example, scaling a mesh with a shader applied can sometimes lead to a break of the Normal Maps, and you need to reset XForm it each time, even instances.

Also, I think the guys at Autodesk know about the current issues with shaders, but they're too busy creating a shader-toolset instead, so you might not even see a patch for this problem until near the release of Max 2014.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    I've not actually noticed an issue with normal maps in 2013 yet, perhaps I need to look closer and also compare the same objects/maps in 2012. More on this tomorrow if I get a moment spare, but I'd like to think that I would have noticed by now if something was amiss.

On a not related note, I got off at the WRONG train station on my way to work this morning, so it's quite likely I may have missed many things in life.
This discussion has been closed.