Home Stickies

XoliulShader 2

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Take that back. It is working!! Now I can go to bed.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I love this damn shader so much... You did good Xoliul, you did good.

clintnod.gif
  • DiGiTAL ZOMBiE
    Thanks a million! :D
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody. The kind words are highly appreciated.
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    I get the error could not locate files in Temporary folder when installing on 3dsmax 2011 win7 64 bit.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Ok, here is an update to my issue:

UAC had to be 100% off for it to install. 3DS Max would not allow ANYTHING to be drag and dropped onto it(scripts/files/textures). It also didn't allow screenshots to be taken with Gadwin PrintScreen (Max could not be the focused app).

Even with Admin privs over the folder, it still did that till UAC was killed.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah UAC is absolutely terrible. Last time I tried, I couldn't even test things with UAC on: you can't even save maxscript files if it is enabled! Coupled with the fact that you have to a full reboot to toggle UAC, it's pretty annoying to even try and code with it on...
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Hi,
    Is it possible to bake the previeuw of the shader into a complete map for a psp mesh? *shrug* (was trying with a RTT but it renders a standard gray material)

I know that the shader isn't really made to be rebdered out but it would be awesome to get all there details and stuff in a simple diffuse map.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's just completely impossible, sorry. You have to realize that 70% or more of the stuff that makes the shader look good is view-based (changes with camera angle), meaning you just can't bake it down to a texture...
  • yoonoo
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    That's just completely impossible, sorry. You have to realize that 70% or more of the stuff that makes the shader look good is view-based (changes with camera angle), meaning you just can't bake it down to a texture...

Thanks for the quick answer. And yes, I know that a big part depends on the camera angle (like cubemaps, fresnel and stuff) I guess I gonna have to play with the mr materials...
    But however if at any time you decide to make the basic maps information (like the diffuse/spec/normal) viewable in the renderer for this kind of purpause it would be great for me! Redoing all the set up for every material is painful sometimes.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the shader, it's a masterpiece! :D
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is you really shouldn't need the renderer anymore? There are good scripts that capture high-res anti aliased images without much hassle. It's been years since I've used Mental Ray or Vray for displaying any game art.
    On top of that, portfolio-wise I actually think displaying finished pieces with a shader/realtime app is better than doing renderings. MR/Vray rendering has little relevance for a job in the game industry...
  • Nysuatro
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Apparently the problem was that the download for some strange reasons was made into a zip file, so just renamed it and it works fine now.:)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IE tends to do that, opera as well I think. It checks the actual filetype and renames accordingly. Nothing I can do about that unfortunately.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THe things ive seen with this shader. I wish it was for maya aswell :(
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah UAC is absolutely terrible. Last time I tried, I couldn't even test things with UAC on: you can't even save maxscript files if it is enabled! Coupled with the fact that you have to a full reboot to toggle UAC, it's pretty annoying to even try and code with it on...

If you run max as administrator you can save to system folders. downside is that you lose drag and drop when apps run as admin
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know, there just isn't any other decent solution (where everything still works) other than turning UAC off completely, forever.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man, ran into a bit of a problem here not quite sure what to do.. any insight would be a huge help!

Whenever I save out a TGA from photoshop, max2012 crashes. It only happens if I've got xoliul 2.0 applied. BTW ive tried bmp, tiff, png and tga nothing seems to make any difference as far as thats concerned.

I have my Miku model using 3 xoliul shaders, one for hair, one for skin, one for clothes.

Map size is 2048, and im using diffuse, spec and normal with a 512 ramp in the gradient slot which i intend to shrink down once i get everything sorted the way I want.

Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling the shader ( manually and automatically ) and also starting with a fresh obj, and remaking the materials to apply. Still the same result. Instant crash when I save out a tga.

Never had this problem before, but it is the first time im using 2.0 on this new machine with windows 7 64bit and max 2012.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm, that sounds more like a Max core thing than my shader, though I'm not sure. Might have to do with the Thumbnails.
    Does it do this for the non UI version ?
  • codyaq2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth
    Hazardous have you tried running max in admin mode?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Xoliul:

Just downloaded your shader. My god dude..i love you
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I tried quite a few things to determine what the cause was, basically started to rebuild a fresh the scene with new shaders and everything so far is fine, adding one map at a time. Frustrating when this happens, because I couldnt find out what the issue was, though maybe the file was corrupted.

It was the same crash, with or without the UI.

codyaq2: Yup, running max in admin mode.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's fine now? If it does the same thing with the non-UI version, then it's some weird max-bug..
  • bipolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bipolar polycounter lvl 7
    So I've been working in 2013 and noticed that my normals dont display correctly, just using default settings. My normal map also looks bright blue in the xoliul shader slot. Help Hank ?!?!?!?

q2V1Q.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's gamma correction. Turn gamma/LUT off, and make sure it's set to 1.0 instead of 2.2 when you turn it off.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, recently i have been using the xoliul shader. I reopened the same file this morning and the shader looks really dark on my model?? any reason why this has happened?
  • cdavidson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    anywhere to re download the presets?

i somehow managed to delete the team fortress 2 one lol
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, so I'm having problems with the Xoliul shader (the latest from 09/10/2011) and normal maps baked in Max2013. I'm getting that good ol' normal map seam where you get the seam in the viewport, but it's not there when you render. I think it's that tangent basis issue. I don't recall having this issue with normal maps baked in Max 2011 and Xoliul.

Did something change in 2013? Any workaround for this (other than to bake in an older Max)?

Edit:
    Looks like I can get it to look right using Nitrous (without Xoliul of course), so I guess their tangent-basis fix is only for that mode. DirectX mode has the errors with Xoliul or a standard mat with hardware preview on.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage: maybe missing file/incorrect setting/gamma ?
    cdavidson: you'll have to redownloadf the installer, and open that with winrar (it's just a renamed rar file).

BigJohn: you could try the Qualified normals. 3 Point's modifier sometimes also works with my shader (don't ask me how lol, it's just random).

On another note: I have to cancel the website hosting. They're asking me a $122 to renew while I paid 40 for my first year, and I can't afford that. Perfectly normal according to JustHost.
    I'm not sure what I'll do, but probably temporarily move back the site to my personal space (different, cheaper host). Then try and get the domain back or something. It sucks that One.com (my other host) doesn't allow multiple domains...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why not take it to a nice, revamped, site-ish Blog, and upload the files on a Free-Host/Uploader like MediaFire and just direct link it? Unless I'm missing something about the X2 site, it looks like your can recreate for free on other places, or is there a reason you want to keep it user-host based?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigJohn: you could try the Qualified normals. 3 Point's modifier sometimes also works with my shader (don't ask me how lol, it's just random).

Qualified normals don't seem to do anything. And I can't get the 3point stuff installed on 2013, it gives an error during installation. The latest they have is for 2012.

I'm curious though, are you seeing the behavior I'm describing in 2013 as well? Or is it just me?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Nope Big, Max 2013 did some really 'nice' things behind the scenes, so there is a chance you might need to revamp your shader in some cases for it.

HOEEEEEEE! ThunderMax!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    alright, I have no idea what's going on here. At first, my texture was showing up way to dark, so I changed the gamma settings to get it back to its normal brightness, but these wierd artifacts show up in the diffuse texture only. Any ideas?

15iaj4p.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by "nice things"?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    bcottage: maybe missing file/incorrect setting/gamma ?
    cdavidson: you'll have to redownloadf the installer, and open that with winrar (it's just a renamed rar file).

On another note: I have to cancel the website hosting. They're asking me a $122 to renew while I paid 40 for my first year, and I can't afford that. Perfectly normal according to JustHost.
    I'm not sure what I'll do, but probably temporarily move back the site to my personal space (different, cheaper host). Then try and get the domain back or something. It sucks that One.com (my other host) doesn't allow multiple domains...

sounds like a scam...

i'm using http://unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk/ for my site, it's amazingly cheap, completely unlimited bandwith + space, and to renew my domain all i have to do is just keep my monthly payment going, they renew it automatically for ~£10 at the end of the year.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i don't mind switching, but I have no clue on how to transfer the domain name ?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks perna, I'll give that a try.
    I really don't like doing all this hosting crap: it's so annoying to try and find a good one.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using Bluehost as well for years. They're really open about things, and they'll work with you if you have any special needs for your site. So +1 from me for Bluehost.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, any idea why my model has backface cull when i apply the xoliul shader?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Just wondering is there any way to get ao map slot in differently using UV channel 2 instead of multiply to the diffuse in photoshop? example case would be modelling a large building which utilise UV tiling for concrete/ wood/etc texture to get the best possible texture resolution rather then make each UV island not overlap in order to get the ao right?

I understand it wouldn't be a problem for a character model, since most part is unique and got no problem multiplying ao to the diffuse texture.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    hello everyone!

first off, big thanks Xoliul for making the awesome shader! Its very cool with the support for shadows and all! Going to make my art look so much better!

Have on problem though, with the opacity. Im making an eye for my character and I want it to look all realistic like, so I have one sphere with one side bent inwards (should act like the iris) and then a completely transparent bowl on top of that ( to act like the cornea) that should catch a specular highlight but nothing else. ive done this before and it makes the eyes looks so much more alive than just a regular sphere.

but for some reason I get this dark artifact on the transparent corna.
    its only in some scenes, cuz i made this once before on another character in another scene and it worked fine. so then I imported my malfunctioning eye into that scene and now it works! so weird. heres a pic

opacity.jpg

I checked, and doubled checked the settings in the xoliulshader tab but it is the same in both scenes.

any help would be much appriciated!

also if I make a new scene, and import the eye there, it still lookes like in scene B....
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage wrote: »
    hey guys, any idea why my model has backface cull when i apply the xoliul shader?

You can change the technique to not do that. it's just the default.
    Revel wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any way to get ao map slot in differently using UV channel 2 instead of multiply to the diffuse in photoshop? example case would be modelling a large building which utilise UV tiling for concrete/ wood/etc texture to get the best possible texture resolution rather then make each UV island not overlap in order to get the ao right?

I understand it wouldn't be a problem for a character model, since most part is unique and got no problem multiplying ao to the diffuse texture.

I had to cut that, I'm sorry... You can use a legacy version if you really want that, but generally i advise against doing full scenes with my shader. UDK or Cryengine are just much better for it...

Stickadtroja:
    Wow that's kinda puzzling.. I've had scenes that go "bad" where some mystery setting is screwed, but a new one fixes that every time. Can you just triple check the global scene settings, mostly the "transparency quality" ? Setting it to "none" is mostly better.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    I tried what you said about the transparancy settings and it worked! Im so happy now! Thank you so much!

To clearify, if anyone have the same problem as me, go to transparancy setting in viewport configuration and set it to none.

Im so relived cuz I wouldnt know where to start fixing a bug like that. Out of pure relief my next 3d character will have at least a thousand eyes.

Again thanks so much for the help and letting people use your kickass shader!

Btw do you want some kind of credit or mentioning if I use your shader to display portfolio pieces?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear!
    It's always nice if you mention me, though that's not required really :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While we're at it, I'm running into another problem with the shader. At work whenever I make a material into the Xoliul material, it shoots an error at line 2362. The line reads:
    filePath_Diffuse = (delegate.diffuseMap as string)

The error makes sense. It says:
    -- Runtime error: Error opening bitmap: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\scripts\XoliulShaderUI\images\NoImage.png

It makes sense, cause at work they have this system that pushes new versions of 3dsmax automatically, and so my 3dsmax install is at C:\3dsMax2013x64

I'm guessing the shader is looking for that image in a predetermined spot.

Edit:
    Stupid simley faces. It should be C : \
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Anyone else having trouble accessing the website? Looks like it's down.
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohnickmoy polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah does anyone have the install files available?
  • jag heter jan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jag heter jan polycounter lvl 5

Link went the way of the dodo after seven days.
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohnickmoy polycounter lvl 7
This discussion has been closed.