Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Well. My GPU has exploded and I'm just about to order a new PC. So until it arrives i'm computerless. Well at least a computer I can work on anyway.

So I decided to actually draw something...with a real pencil!!! wow...Its been about 2 years. So where better to start than with my favourite study subject, Clint. I worked from an image in a Clint Eastwood book. I like the image because Clint looks quite sullen, which is different to his usual snake eyes/curled lip/bad ass look. But I cant find it online to compare. I'll keep searching.

Time 45 mins
    Actual size A3

clintsketch.jpg

EDIT: found it

Clint+Eastwood.jpg
  • Jasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jasp polycounter lvl 12
    awesome Ferg!

something i started involving a monkey-dude and a stupid pigeon:
    K3uk1.jpgMai4g.jpg
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji wrote: »
    there is some badass work happening here!

Lachtan, may I ask for a brief overview of the techniques you are using for modelling cars in hi poly? do you separate each major component? do you use NURB surfaces?
    Your Beetle is looking beautiful (although as others have mentioned, some minor pinching caused by topology issues). I'm also modelling a Beetle right now but I'm inexperienced at this kind of thing so I keep getting stuck...

Hey mang
    This is actually my first car model, but it doesn't really show up, hehe.
    Anyway, I'm using standard subdivision modeling, I'm using it for a long time and I'm used to it.
    I'm keeping unmovable parts together, all doors are separated. You could also separate front/rear fenders I think it might help your topo.

Please, if you have any other questions, drop me a PM.

Here's day 5 final hi-poly model
    Gonna spend day 6 building low poly, Uving and hopefully baking.
    Don't wanna clutter this thread too much so I'm gonna post a thumb

d052xx.th.jpg
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    Here's my WIP! :-) .. workin on it for a class project.. some concept art from natural selection 2

ammobox_prog_01.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    This is my idea of a "Monster of Rock"

Monters_of_rock_01.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    searinox wrote: »
    choppadone2.png
    Man, that´s a kickass version of that sword!
    I kind of attepmted to do it not so long ago, but I still have it unfinished... and seeing yours, I´ll probably make another different one.

ork_sword.jpg

Here´s my version, but I like your´s way more than the version I did. Awesome job mate!

Thanks, man! I really like yours to be honest! The metal bits (the ones that are red in the concept) really give it an awesome, stylized look! I like it alot! I also like the way you did the grip/handle! I assume you made one cloth ring, duplicated it, and hid the repetition?

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, right? :) Your version has definitely given much to consider!

Thanks again! You should keep working on that one, and we can compare results! :)
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    @ Lachtan: looking sick bro. I can tell the area at the bottom of the A pillar still needs some work and I think you could tighten up the front middle part of the hood where the trim comes together.

other than that the surfaces are looking clean man :P Good luck going foreward!

Just got Ryan kingsliens new book "Sculpting realistic game characters"
    Expect shots of my sad attempt at his process later tonight.
    Edit:
    heres my drunk attempt at matching the prelminary block out as outlined by kingsliens book.
    Something inside me hates taking my basemesh up to Sub-d 7 and starting to sculpt but I have faith it will work out.
    next, I draw anatomy on it!
    wipv.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    usually, the shoulders are wide enough to allow arm swinging without touching the hips :)
    of course there are extremes with wider hips or more narrow shoulders but i think it couldn't hurt to move the shoulders further outwards
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Blaizer, could you post up your wireframe for that? I'm getting into shapes like those and its kicking my ass, and any wireframes would help a boat load.

No problem Jason, here's the full wire

bloque_wire.jpg
  • searinox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    searinox polycounter lvl 6
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Thanks, man! I really like yours to be honest! The metal bits (the ones that are red in the concept) really give it an awesome, stylized look! I like it alot! I also like the way you did the grip/handle! I assume you made one cloth ring, duplicated it, and hid the repetition?

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, right? :) Your version has definitely given much to consider!

Thanks again! You should keep working on that one, and we can compare results! :)

Thanks for the kind comments! I´m modelling an entire ork character, this was supposed to be in his hand actually.
    The grip is actually a single sculpted piece, made from a zsphere link, no separate pieces there.
    I think I´ll make the character and then finish this one, your version certainly gave me a lot of ideas, and I think I´ll remake some sections based on your version.

Thanks, and keep rockin´ man!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Blaizer wrote: »
    No problem Jason, here's the full wire

bloque_wire.jpg

beautiful! :)
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
  • wagawagawoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, this thread is a goldmine of amazing art.

My Little Lion Man (:
    First Real go at low poly and unwrapping.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Vm9lguUXk[/ame]
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ged: that is a great sculpt! sweeet!

a belated thanks! I like how the textures are coming along on your character, looking forward to seeing it with some moody lighting.

I might do the face of thors chick from the ultimates 3 that madureira drew next
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    daphz wrote: »
    both_wips.png

Thats awesome! I love the Plague Doctor! :D
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    news03.jpg

Smore news things. Still a wip.

Really really trying to push my texturing. Crits would be nice :)
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    daphz wrote: »
    both_wips.png

yesss, such awesome work, im loving all your recent stuff. my only nit pick would be the size of that girls waist, looks a little on the thick side but either way, nice job :thumbup:
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    what mike you don't like big bootie bitches?
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She does have a huge torso width wise, not just hips but ribcage and stomach too and it looks a bit strange. I really like the style of the other one though.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Workin' on a guy. I love the clay_buildup brush now.

monster_1.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for the feedback guys!
    and yeah I like my womenz a bit thicker! :D
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do it Brandon, do it do it!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    brandoom wrote: »
    news03.jpg

Smore news things. Still a wip.

Really really trying to push my texturing. Crits would be nice :)

Looks great! Really nice Diffuse, the grafitti on the side is very believable. I don't think you are using your spec map (if you are even using one) to it's full potential. But with that said, it still is looking great.
  • Jasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jasp polycounter lvl 12
    progressing a bit on this character
    gTlsT.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great stuff here, as usual.

Jasp, love the guy, very charismatic.

Here's the brawl concept I've been working on

Concept_Angle_1.jpg
  • thrillkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji>> Thanks for crits. Changed the folds on the upper arms and soften the ones on the legs.
    Added some weapons and other stuff too.
    HighPolySoldier.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    So - I've just been made redundant, which means I have time to work on personal stuff for my portfolio again! A big Boo and Yay at the same time!

So here's my latest WIP character - punky, burlesque, stripper, vampire-infected, vamp hunter...with boobs.

ZBrush_WIP01.jpg
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Been remaking perth in CE2:
    perth.jpg

:P

Also, Modular geometry ftw!
    wallviewportworks.jpg
  • needs glue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs glue polycounter lvl 8
    1-04-11_A.jpg

Latest updated on my Maschinen Krieger project, started taking components into zbrush to added tooling marks and general distress (unly added some 2 minute welds so far), still working out what I want to do for the pilot bust, quickly blocked that out from a new base mesh I made, I was referencing Ziggy from The Wire but in the tanker helm he looks good with a nice mo.
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    trying to finish an old scene (eat 3d contest i started months ago) i made all the retopo already, but i dont know yet if i texture it or if i just make a little high poly scene, cuz i want to try making an environment on udk.

anyway here a render of it using a matcap i made 2 years ago, but with better render settings now with zbrush 4. You can use it if you want! its.....White! :D
    http://orbart.free.fr/Orb PureWhite.ZMT

blockout.jpg
    eat%203d.jpg

• felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    @Orb: I still don't quite get the workflow on environment art. For the corner piece, would it all be one single texture? How would you break up the textures and materials on this scene?
  • k0c0s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody!
    This is my first post here at polycount.
    I've been watching the great works here but never posted anything.
    So it's time to post.
    monkwaywo.jpg
    I'm almost done working on the shaders now.
    I'm not quite happy with the skin. Some advice on that would be nice.
    Thanks
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    @Orb: I still don't quite get the workflow on environment art. For the corner piece, would it all be one single texture? How would you break up the textures and materials on this scene?
    the specs on this challenge was 1x4096 maximum for the scene (wich is nicely huge :D), it can be one 4096 for everything or multiple maps of 512, 1024, 2048 with diferent shaders...since we dont go over 4096 for all the scene. but well i just want to finish the high poly right now, as if it were a mock.

k0c0s: freaking awsome! shading sculpt and texturing look really sexy. I would say maybe the red emissive look a bit overdone in the scratches, but the metal and skin look so sweet.

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP - Looking awesome man, I'm a huge fan of your character work.

Orb - Your environment stuff is always fantastic. That sculpt came out really great, and thanks for the matcap :)

k0c0s - That's sick, you should post more often, haha. Nice work.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Did some Bioshock Fanart:

hQtsK.jpg
    JOs4D.jpg
    pGkkt.jpg
  • k0c0s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb- Thanks! You're right I will work on the emissive some more.
    SeanEG - Thanks, will post more often here from now on:)
    gmax5 - I used Zbrush for highpoly and texturing, max and topogun for retopo and low res and it's rendered in marmoset engine.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    InProgress that is awesome!
  • polygunz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k0c0s wrote: »
    Hey everybody!
    This is my first post here at polycount.
    I've been watching the great works here but never posted anything.
    So it's time to post.
    monkwaywo.jpg
    I'm almost done working on the shaders now.
    I'm not quite happy with the skin. Some advice on that would be nice.
    Thanks

Welcome to polycount, nice visual story stelling : Prison Religion, closemindedness, conservatism/isolation.
    Good work mate, love art with stories and your doing a FANTASTIC job at it.
    About the skin, i don't think I am qualified or experienced enough to give any advice on skin textures, but your concept is very thoughtfull, I am working on similar concepts in secrecy, mind If I add you to my friendlist?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    k0c0s: Welcome to Polycount, that's friggin rad!

EDIT

04-01-2011_garbageman.jpg
    04-01-2011_magenta.jpg

EDIT 2

04-01-2011_pinkish.jpg

EDIT 3

04-01-2011_jadekitty.jpg
  • oladitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oladitan polycounter lvl 8
    my first character study from an image i got off the internet.

rough2.png

rough_wire.png
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Makkon- Love all of those. Shirts please?!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I needed a distraction from all of the realistic textures and high poly modeling and baking... so I went and did my first stylized hand painted tiling wood texture...

water_color_wood.jpg

I was trying to go for a light water color wash look with soft wood grain texture.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Spectacular k0c0s

Working on some ancient ruins... inspired by uncharted :)

Az_Pillarwip.jpg

Still a lot more sculpting to do.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Norron wrote: »
    Workin' on a guy. I love the clay_buildup brush now.

monster_1.jpg

So am I the only one who recognized the alien big bads from the movie version of Howard the Duck?

...or am I just the only one who will admit it? :D
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    So - I've just been made redundant, which means I have time to work on personal stuff for my portfolio again! A big Boo and Yay at the same time!

So here's my latest WIP character - punky, burlesque, stripper, vampire-infected, vamp hunter...with boobs.

ZBrush_WIP01.jpg

Sorry to hear that, hope you get something soon :) she's looking real nice, ripped tights is a nice touch and the corset is fantastic. Are they tattoos or something else on the arms?
  • 3mm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3mm
    here is last bust in my series of works,still wip.i will work on this one for my upcoming Workshop.:)
    my other wips:
    http://mmodarres.blogspot.com/
    c1.jpg
  • Yakko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks! First post here. Figured I'd finally stop lurking and get some much needed feedback.

This is an old UDK scene I created a few months ago, but decided to go back recently and play around with it. It ended up becoming a playground for testing all sorts of things out. :)

TG-Fire1.jpg?w=cd4bb3d0

There's some stunning work on here, I wouldn't even know where to begin!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Massbot wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, hope you get something soon :) she's looking real nice, ripped tights is a nice touch and the corset is fantastic. Are they tattoos or something else on the arms?

Cheers Massbot :)

Yeah they are tattoos on the arms. They're meant to be a play on those lacy burlesque gloves...
    lace%20gloves%20close%20up.%201.jpgglamour-burlesque-style-long-lace-gloves-185-p.jpg
    I'm still playing with the patterns used on them - might need to make them look more explicitly "lacy"
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Fuck my life, theres a girl showing skin above my post. Well this is getting missed then ;D

ceros8.jpg

Her right arm is getting chopped off for a giant cannon' just made it easier on the render turn around
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    InProgress wrote: »
    Did some Bioshock Fanart:

hQtsK.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lkMIgE0h1U[/ame]

Dog. In a wheelchair.

Made my day.
This discussion has been closed.