• Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kwakkie: loving em! Link seems a bit light on that bg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Nick : Solid studies...thanks for sharing.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Someone suggested I shouldnt hide these from my dearest polycount!:poly128:

chars2.jpg
    Still lots of scale issues going on but yeah...

cool ..my new desktop
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on sell sheets, this is another vehicle i did for the army, looking for the best way to present them with the renders they gave me.

bisonmrvsellsheetcopy.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Spent half the afternoon yesterday modeling this little fella :).
    wipfrog.jpg.

Then I tried skinning him (to a biped with helpers, like Poopinmymouth always does it) but am still kind of stuck with that. I got everything set up, but it's pretty damn hard to get it all working out ok. And now i've just found out there's a one triangle hole in both of his hands.... Does anyone know how to fill it up without ruining all the skinning data?
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    edit - Japhir, In max im pretty sure you should be able to drop down the stack and add the tri no problem, the skin modifier should pick up the changes and try its best to give appropriate weights to whatever you've added. I regularly add geo to skinned models this way to easily skin up say any accessories they might be wearing or whatever, that way they match the base body 100%. Save beforehand though, just in case :)

Finished rendering this piece and also a quick muscle study 90~ish % from memory to practice. Its coloured and shit because i'm doubling it up as a uni assignment.

Chardesign.jpg

Muscles.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda: thanks, but that doesn't work... check this out:
    frogflips.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IT'S BAT-FROG!
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    awesome stuff Kwakkie!
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    thank you kwakkie.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Someone suggested I shouldnt hide these from my dearest polycount!:poly128:

chars2.jpg
    Still lots of scale issues going on but yeah...

Loved them! One of best things I saw here last times!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    wip high poly:
    knight.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    tda wrote: »
    edit - Japhir, In max im pretty sure you should be able to drop down the stack and add the tri no problem, the skin modifier should pick up the changes and try its best to give appropriate weights to whatever you've added. I regularly add geo to skinned models this way to easily skin up say any accessories they might be wearing or whatever, that way they match the base body 100%. Save beforehand though, just in case :)

Finished rendering this piece and also a quick muscle study 90~ish % from memory to practice. Its coloured and shit because i'm doubling it up as a uni assignment.

Chardesign.jpg

Muscles.jpg

This armored chick is reall really cool. It looks completely funtional minus the high heels. Would love to see a real life version of this hehe.
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    Back to 2D again!

Speedpaint topic was "In a Jar" - not exactly a speedpaint as a result, more like "2 lunches and an evening paint"

in_a_jar_04.jpg
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    yea....im done with this lol i like.. worked on it for an 1 hour for feet and just got bored. want to do more tho

wip2u.jpg
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first head model. Plenty wrong and plenty to learn, so shoot me some crits.

goodheadi.th.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/957/goodheadi.jpg

guessing we us url instead of img here?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnaFuBAR wrote: »
    Plenty wrong and plenty to learn
    goodheadi.jpg

including how to post the image ( I can't see it )
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    tda: lots of that armour really reminds me of the Metroid power suit x3 guess it's the crotch/pelvis and those extreme knees.. but yeah also the chest keel. Neato. Yes I am obsessed.

and huzzah, gonna call it a night. Err, morning.. 4 am x_x
    gonna post in the low poly thread when it gets a bit more finished
    gooseberry.png
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    good to see you continuing to flesh out that character Striker! looks like a fun one :D

meh..... *shrug*
    sig_texture_wip4.jpg
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8svQ

working on some shading schtuffz. I saw this shape in the shower and i was like "ALIEN FTW"
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    A little mushroom love! :D WIP.

14923569.jpg
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    lunch noodle, old space dude, the mask needs a redo and its not weird enough for my taste.
    R
    spm1.jpg
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert- thanks man! dam. you can shoot me with that gun, dont mind dying from that :P

Meshiah - loving that!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Back to 2D again!

Speedpaint topic was "In a Jar" - not exactly a speedpaint as a result, more like "2 lunches and an evening paint"

in_a_jar_04.jpg

Zomg I super love this!!!! Very nice, I love the idea behind it, with the faded guy in the bg peering at her... Awesome. I just wonder what that tag beside the jar says?

Firebert - Damn, that's sick!!! Looks so realistic, like I could just pick it up off the screen...

Japhir - I've never found a solution for that myself... I've tried, but it always ends up being re-skinsville for me. Do share if you find a better solution!! :P
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    3rdperson-2.png

i'm no real 2D artist but i made a paladin concept in my spare time.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
  • dhedheahmed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    I figured it out myself but i wrote down my findings and can compile them into a kind of tutorial if enough people are interested

I'm also very interested and maybe a base workflow on creating some of your weapon.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    game%20screentest01.jpg
    Got my first paycheck ever doing some commission work for a SC2 mod. Didn't realize it at the time but while working on a personal Starcraft mod a few months back i picked up some technical skills that are pretty sought after by mod teams. Stoked to have something to keep me busy while i wait to hear back from various studios.

Spent the past few days getting massive amounts of already finished art assets in-engine, while cleaning up some assets that needed a bit of a texture face lift. Looking forward to making some custom environment art and some mech units, should be fun and for the first time ever... a little lucrative! Woot.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just poppin in to show off my first game-centric gun :D

iehU4O.jpg

Groza OC!

Lemme know what you think!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    nice work crazyfingers, you should really do a little tutorial on going from 3ds to sc2.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Jeff! You never told me you be makin Dollah Dollah Billz yo with your SC2. And I always made fun of you when I saw you on steam in the SC Editor...boy do I feel like an asshole.

But yea, Looks really rad! I'd too be interested to seeing what your workflow is for RTS
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD: Everything you need to know is here: http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/artist-tavern/9662-article-modelling-and-exporting-for-star-craft2/
    Really not too complex, but keep in mind this tutorial doesn't get into the data editor. That's where the real headaches begin, luckily I haven't had to deal with it too much for this gig... at least not yet.

@Erich: Wouldn't call it dollah dollah, but it's enough to get me out on the weekends and enough work to keep me busy during the weekdays, exactly what i needed. Oh, and you are an asshole :D

I'm sure i'll make an update down the road once we get more art done, need to see what the team lead is ok with sharing. If there's enough interest in tutorials and such I'll definitely see what i can do, but in all honesty the best way to learn these engines is to just jump in and start turning some dials.

@Atlus: Not bad for a first go. Main crit would be to clean up poly flow on flat faces. If you look at the rear of the gun there appear to be many extra edge loops that aren't adding details. Also when you have a rounded geometric shape if you blow away the central vertices you can usually save several polygons while in edit poly mode as 3ds max will optimally retopogize polygons. Dunno if you know the shortcut but control + backspace is definitely your friend when trying to reducing your polycount!
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 15
    Japhir wrote: »
    tda: thanks, but that doesn't work... check this out:
    frogflips.jpg

Japhir, that is a weight-painting issue. The spiky bits on the mesh are where they have come un-done from the skeleton.

In Blender, you highlight the skeleton in 'pose' mode, then you select the mesh and go into 'weight paint' mode and you literally 'paint' on the model how much influence you want the bone to have on the mesh.

I don't know Max that well, but it is bound to have something just as good or better. Just google max and weight painting.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    SnaFuBAR: There was a link to a facial topo thread by Dreamer knocking about recently. Your not far with the flow of it though. The structure of the cheekbone and eye is the first thing I notice. It should flow around to the side of the face.

Firebert: Nice gun and nice texturing.
    meshiah wrote: »
    lunch noodle, old space dude, the mask needs a redo and its not weird enough for my taste.
    R
    spm1.jpg

Awesome, awesome, awesomeness. Can wait to see the weirder version.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head1e.jpg

Here's a direct link in case I'm not using img tags correctly :poly134:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7067/head1e.jpg

I think I'm getting a bit closer. The earlier image was based upon my own face, but, I suppose I don't have strong features. I'll check around for the thread you mentioned and see if I can adapt what I've got or if a remodel is necessary.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Sixton, low odor, slave_one, willy-wilson, jramauri: Thanks, there's more coming! :) I definitely need to rework some of them once I am done with all the characters Id like to add! And a special 'big-up' for willy-wilson for making me post here, thx ;)
  • Mike Porter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Porter polycounter lvl 18
    Mr.Cash wrote: »
    I´ve created a MG 42 for my examination at school. This is my first time posting stuff here, so feel free to rip me with your merciless but wanted feedback ;)

The MG is off to a good start, but the stock is pretty blocky looking. The stock is actually rounded off in the back, with the forward portion of the wood square.

Some of the other edges are pretty hard as well. There are quite a few really good images on the internet that I found, including plan drawings that help to make it more accurate.

I have attached the MG that I was working on. Hope you don't mind.

There is an awesome forum of MG42 owners and re-builders that post pictures of their work. It's where I found the best images to work from.

http://www.mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10041
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir, that is a weight-painting issue. The spiky bits on the mesh are where they have come un-done from the skeleton.

In Blender, you highlight the skeleton in 'pose' mode, then you select the mesh and go into 'weight paint' mode and you literally 'paint' on the model how much influence you want the bone to have on the mesh.

I don't know Max that well, but it is bound to have something just as good or better. Just google max and weight painting.

I know how to skin him, I did that already, but then I found out there was a hole in the mesh that needed to be filled. That messed up all the vertex orders or something like that, which undid all the skinning I had done up to that point.
    Thanks for the explaination though.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    testing the attach function, since my website is down right now.
    Been working on ways to get a clean bake for straps/belts thinner objects. I am quite pleased with this lastest version. The circled strap/belt is the low poly +normal map
  • Szark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    5qxpj.jpg

A few evenings worth of work. It's still WIP as there's a few inaccuracies I need to fix.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Crazyfingers looks cool but when i maximize the picture i notice a lot of aliasing on the art, Like all the white edges on the objects look pretty rough.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    Crazy fingers, JordanW makes a good call, check your dds settings perhaps, and maybe your getting compression artifacts.

do you have links to more of this mod?, i worked on sc2 so im always interested to see what the modders do.keep goin.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    First ever proper piece of concept art... We have to make a character for a module at university, and I'm really an environment artist so this is completely new to me. I made that Sumo Wrestler a while ago but didn't try any 2D.

This is just a couple hours' work from earlier today. Just blocked in sketchy outline and some basic colours. Still got a long way to go!

character_concept_rough1.jpg

Excuse the HUGE size of it, forgot to re-size!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    i'm retooling this thang, cleaned up the sculpt, added polys, re-unwrapped everything, bran new textures.

ghq5hq35hq35h.png
    still lots to fix.
    (and I do have permission from the concept artist lol)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Daphz, that looks awesome! tons of style... you always make such rad stuff, I wish you would finish them though. >_<
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Firebert> Nice gun. I like the material definitions. Makes it convincing.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Ferg wrote: »
    lets make a baby crazyfool

what gives dude?!? you'll put out for CF, but you and i have to "take it slow" and "have dinner first".
    *sigh*
    you've broken my heart ferg. you've broken my heart.

kodde: thanks dude :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanW and Meshia: Hadn't even noticed this issue, but it's obvious when assets are put next to base SC2 assets, I will certainly keep an eye on this and thanks for pointing it out. In the interest of time and to keep current assets consistent the mod lead had me keep textures as targas for now, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the SC2 engine simply wasn't optimized to handle these textures and we will most certainly be going dds at some point as right now the file size is ridiculous.

Meshia, that's awesome you worked on this game... and that at least 1 person at blizzard cares about what the mod community is up to! Tell your buddies to get star tools out ;). Like I said before i'll likely post here and there when we make a good bit more progress.

Thanks all for the feedback and support! :D
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 15
    Japhir wrote: »
    I know how to skin him, I did that already, but then I found out there was a hole in the mesh that needed to be filled. That messed up all the vertex orders or something like that, which undid all the skinning I had done up to that point.
    Thanks for the explaination though.

No probs. Yeah, weight painting (it's probably called something else in Max) is for just such an occurance. Mainly its for after you've matched the skeleton to the mesh and you don't like how something is deforming - you'd go in and manually re-paint the bits you didn't like. I was thinking you could use that to fix the 'new' bits. I don't know Max though, so I'll shut up.
This discussion has been closed.