Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    heck, even the Blades end up being dicks.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Man playing as a mage with master difficulty is a lot of work. I'm always running out mana, have to hide and use conjuration to create meat shields. I wonder if it would be better with a melee or thief...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i'm finding being a two hander orc to be a bit too easy... Hit berserk mode and that smack bosses in the face till they die aint hard.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    heck, even the Blades end up being dicks.
    Ugh, don't remind me. The Greybeards too.

I ask for the dragon killing shout, and the guy gets his knickers in a bunch, even though I very specifically beforehand told him and assured him I would never use the power for evil, but only for protection of Skyrim (which is what they always want) but even with all that, he just ranted about how much of a child I was.

I mean sheesh, I understand everyone if tense in Skyrim with everything that is going on, but this game is the equivalent of me wanting to go to the doctor, and the nurse shouting at me because the doctor isn't in.

I don't think it has much to do with 'shades of Grey' at his point as much as it had to do with "We had limited number of lines, so lets make do with several choices leading to the same outcome".

I can't believe I'm saying this, and I apologize, but I honestly am starting to think Skyrim was cheapened out on the oral, choice RPG elements. It's far too linear in some area's.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Melee is def better. But somehow ( just like in all other Elder scrolls games) I'm a good thief and a warrior, all I use are Destruction and Restoration spells.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah that bothered me too. I know it's because they can't have every possibility scripted in, but I did the Dark Brotherhood questline fairly early and
    After killing the emperor I thought everything was going to change, but it was like I just killed Greg the Blacksmith.
    You'd think something like that would have a bigger impact. If they wanted it to not matter as much they should have not went on so epic a scale.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to speed run the main quest line and save after killing Alduin so I can start the game as full dragonbone and not have to listen to all those people bitch about dragons for half an hour every time I start a new toon.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You should share that save, I'd be cool to try to do it without killing anyone extra and keeping your level as low as possible.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Dragons still attack after the main quest. The only thing that will change is you get blood dragons instead.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, but then you have dragonrend, and they can suck it!

Really my goal here is to not have to go through the whole questline again, just start a game as the boss. Then I could share the save, you type 'showracemenu' and do what you want.

My previous last fav save was after that long wagon ride at the start.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    downloading now.. hurry up steam !!!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    cholden wrote: »
    My previous last fav save was after that long wagon ride at the start.
    Can't live without it!

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the save!

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2813

from the readme file:

From start completing only main quest-line. Saved after defeating Alduin. Avoided other quests, mobs, chests, etc. to give player as "fresh" shot at world after as possible. A few misc quest activated from bumping into various random encounters. Purchased and fully decorated Breezehome in Whiterun. Items collected during run in bedroom chest. Be sure to check out all those Shouts granted from completing the main quest. Enjoy.

You can change the character to anything and rename by going to the console (~) and type 'showracemenu'. Save is only level 6 so lots of room to grow.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS SUPER AWEEESOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Do you know that showracemenu will also reset all your attributes to 100? You'll be a level 6 with level one stats. I haven't checked, but it might even reset you skills too.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    greevar wrote: »
    Do you know that showracemenu will also reset all your attributes to 100? You'll be a level 6 with level one stats. I haven't checked, but it might even reset you skills too.

I don't believe this is entirely accurate, if at all. I've used showracemenu pretty extensively in Skyrim testing things out, editing my look, etc. From what I could tell none of my skills or attributes were affected, I didn't lose any level progress, and I was still able to level appropriately thereafter without any loss of anything.

However, when I was using it, I didn't ever change my race - so I'm not sure if that would have any adverse affects on character progression or stats. I'm also not sure if using it could possibly alter any inherent resistances or regeneration bonuses a race might have, as I only tried it with Imperials.

As a whole, using "showracemenu" is a LOT more stable than it was in Oblivion, where using it normally would reset your character's skills and attributes to their defaults for that race. To get it to work in Oblivion properly you had to open the menu while the character creator was still open - Save > Load a new save without closing it. This does not seem to be the case in Skyrim.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I don't believe this is entirely accurate, if at all. I've used showracemenu pretty extensively in Skyrim testing things out, editing my look, etc. From what I could tell none of my skills or attributes were affected, I didn't lose any level progress, and I was still able to level appropriately thereafter without any loss of anything.

However, when I was using it, I didn't ever change my race - so I'm not sure if that would have any adverse affects on character progression or stats. I'm also not sure if using it could possibly alter any inherent resistances or regeneration bonuses a race might have, as I only tried it with Imperials.

As a whole, using "showracemenu" is a LOT more stable than it was in Oblivion, where using it normally would reset your character's skills and attributes to their defaults for that race. To get it to work in Oblivion properly you had to open the menu while the character creator was still open - Save > Load a new save without closing it. This does not seem to be the case in Skyrim.

When you change your race it does reset your attributes. I've done it myself on a character above level 1.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console
  • Ace-Angel
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »

There's a few cases where it looks like it adds a second copy of the character models in there too.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I used to take arrows in the knee....now I'm an adventurer.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmz80jLkwIw"]Unofficial Skyrim Trailer - Bard Song by malufenix - YouTube[/ame]
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving it so far and only about 12 hours in, making me a walking plate covered tesla machine..

its so pretty...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Someone really needs to remix that song together with the male chorus from the official theme
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g"]?The Dragonborn Comes - Skyrim Bard Song and Main Theme Female Cover? - YouTube[/ame]

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    There's a few cases where it looks like it adds a second copy of the character models in there too.

I did notice that, but saving + reloading always fixed it.

And after more testing, it appears that greevar's right about changing your race. If you DON'T change your race, it seems like changing appearance/gender is fine. But changing your race - it doesn't seem like it resets them (your stats), it seems like it just redistributes them. I tried it on a lvl 39 character and instead of having my "attributes" (health, magicka, stamina) reset, they all just averaged out. And my skills weren't all reset, instead they were just relocated in weird ways (where I had 90 or 100 in Alchemy before, now I had it in Restoration, and several other things were rearranged).

So short version, showracemenu works if you don't change your race, from what I can tell. Realistically you can just use the console to get your skills/stats roughly as you think they should be (I'm not sure if you can make them go down but I know you can add to them to "manually level" a character).
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Passive Tale

After seeing the pacifist vid on kotaku, raving about the guy being at level 9 without killing I had to give it a shot. So last night I started a pacifist and got to level 23 without killing anything.

Basically went to the wizards collage as quick as possible to get all the lovely illusion and restoration spells and did a few quests there. Then joined the bard's school and theives guild as they have a lot of quests where you don't have to kill. And hit the lovers stone early as possible!

Leveling was pretty easy, during all that waiting for npc's to shutup, I'd spam calm or courage on them or muffle on myself. Once I got most the perks for illusion I went out with confidence. Can calm everything but higher level boss type mobs. Combo frenzy + calm or just muffle and sneak to get around everything.

Once I get a few more restoration perks, going to see how far into the main quest is possible. Since you have to kill that undead for the dragonstone in the first quest, it might not be possible. We'll see.

skyrim-passive01.jpg
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/07/patch-perk-skyrim-levels-up-to-1-3/

patch 1.3

Here’s the epic list in full:

- General stability improvements
    - Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs
    - Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
    - Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
    - Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
    - Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
    - Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

I wonder how much more optimized it is on the dual core processors now. Since that is what i am running. Can't wait to get home and give this a spin.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I wonder how much more optimized it is on the dual core processors now. Since that is what i am running. Can't wait to get home and give this a spin.

Just core 2 duo processors, not all dual cores in general.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    This guy's Playthrough is priceless. Very entertaining. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/talesoflumin#p/c/0/ecLNe82Nd9c
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah, yea I was watching his playthrough today. entertaining.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Apparently the latest update deleted my TESV files... Now I can't start the game up. Any thoughts on this? I can't load it up using the script launcher or from steam itself.

EDIT: Whenever I start the game, the menu starts flashing over and over again as if it's closing and restarting the program.

EDIT (again): Just had to verify my cache files. Works fine now.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    lol... this joke is getting weird

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpyw-0B5RW8"][Skyrim] Rameses B - Arrow In The Knee - YouTube[/ame]

Discovered this when watching the Yogscast livestream. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    cholden wrote: »

Once I get a few more restoration perks, going to see how far into the main quest is possible. Since you have to kill that undead for the dragonstone in the first quest, it might not be possible. We'll see.

that's cool! I wish I had time for trying stuff like this.

Aren't undead dead already? Technically you just help them to stop moving...
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Or just let your companion kill them while you heal. :)

Not sure if that counts. Maybe traps, I dunno.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Discussed with some folks today a few ideas to try. You have to be careful, and NOT have a companion because their kills sometimes count towards your kill count. Should have some info on this in a couple days. Gotta do a crunchcast tonight. :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bout 15 hours in now and no dragons.. only the one at the start gimme moar draginsss!!

got bitch slapped by a giant and sent me poor adventurer a thousand feet into the air.. bastard..
    Geezus wrote: »
    This guy's Playthrough is priceless. Very entertaining. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/talesoflumin#p/c/0/ecLNe82Nd9c

I can have freckles ... lol
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    http://fixskyrim.com/

Heh someone made a website dedicated to the PS3 problems. I hope they do fix it though, I've been killing every non essential NPC in order to kill off some of the AI paths and hopefully free up some memory :D

Besides it's rather amusing. Reminded me of Deus Ex HR and killing all the police without being seen. I must have spent hours stacking boxes in front of NPC's to block them from seeing me kill. So funny.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i am doing the The Forsworn Conspiracy, i just talked to nepo de nose and killed everyone at the house, when i am prompted to go back to the guy Elytir... or whatever his name is, he is dead, there are 2 soldiers and one dude from the legendaries or whomever he is. The prompt tells me i need to talk to the soldier i guess.. or someone behind him.. but he doesn't really give me anything. so that quest is now stuck... i reloaded a past save game before i go to nepos and i go there and the guys is dead as well.

I read on a wiki that they need to pin down the murders or something on me and that i have to go to jail. But again, the soldiers don't really tell me anything, and the other big dude from the legendaries just tells me i should join them and i should talk to some other dude that is not part of the quest.

Anyone with this problem? and i was really enjoying this quest ~_~
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    rolfness wrote: »
    bout 15 hours in now and no dragons.. only the one at the start gimme moar draginsss!!

Wow that's crazy, maybe you have to be a few missions further in the main quest? But then I remember fighting dragons quite often and I didn't do much of the main quest for ages. Sometimes I could almost garauntee a dragon would be coming for me because I'd spent so long in a dungeon, and sure enough when I come out a dragon comes.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool

It's a common problem and all I can suggest is that you reload an older save, even if it's hours back or cause a scene and go to jail and hope that triggers the quest forward because you have to talk to someone inside the prison.

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    glottis8 wrote: »
    so i am doing the The Forsworn Conspiracy, i just talked to nepo de nose and killed everyone at the house, when i am prompted to go back to the guy Elytir... or whatever his name is, he is dead, there are 2 soldiers and one dude from the legendaries or whomever he is. The prompt tells me i need to talk to the soldier i guess.. or someone behind him.. but he doesn't really give me anything. so that quest is now stuck... i reloaded a past save game before i go to nepos and i go there and the guys is dead as well.

I read on a wiki that they need to pin down the murders or something on me and that i have to go to jail. But again, the soldiers don't really tell me anything, and the other big dude from the legendaries just tells me i should join them and i should talk to some other dude that is not part of the quest.

If you are on windows you can set the quest state to advance it. I had to do that a few times to resolve bugs.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's crazy, maybe you have to be a few missions further in the main quest? But then I remember fighting dragons quite often and I didn't do much of the main quest for ages. Sometimes I could almost garauntee a dragon would be coming for me because I'd spent so long in a dungeon, and sure enough when I come out a dragon comes.

Ive been up to see the guys about shouting and am now at the winterplace to get training for spells, cleared out a few barrows now. I went the legion route and Im supposed to speak to someone about joining up.. havent done that yet.. maybe thats whats holding the dragons back...
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    If you are on windows you can set the quest state to advance it. I had to do that a few times to resolve bugs.

I'll try that i guess... i saw in the same wiki that you can just leave town and some soldiers freak out and it triggers when you come back. I'll give it a try.

Shame that there are bugs like this in the game that make some of the quests be buggy.

I love the game so far, this is like the first bug that i got that stopped me from playing the game. I'll see what i can do about it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! i do run on pc, so it should be workable i guess.
  • Geezus
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    rolfness wrote: »
    Ive been up to see the guys about shouting and am now at the winterplace to get training for spells, cleared out a few barrows now. I went the legion route and Im supposed to speak to someone about joining up.. havent done that yet.. maybe thats whats holding the dragons back...

Nah, as long as you've killed the one first dragon they will come, it might take some time at first though, then later on you'll meet one every two meters.

I think the amount you progress in the main quest might affect the amount of dragons.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took this screenshot by chance and decided to turn it into my December wallpaper:

B03nz.jpg