Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Stinger88 - Love the concept, silhouette remids me Eartworm Jim;)
    Nix - pretty cool concept!

And my update:
    billyrender07.jpg
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    Man, I'm not sure if I can finish on time!

I've got ~200 polys left, not sure if I can model in the pistol and holster I wanted....

preDomWar_LP01.png
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    More progress on my texture:

texturewip.jpg

Time for bed now! :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is so sick JFletcher. Beautiful stuff.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Fletch, you're a texturing monster.
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'am always amazed by all the great work on this thread, top notch pieces everywhere !
    @JFletcher : Mind-blowing work Sir ! Some awesome sauce on the texture, it's really inspiring !
    No crits, just envy : keep it up ! ;)
    @HntrLuc : I like the expression on the face of your character, really creepy. I'm waiting to sse more update on the texture, hair looks really cool so far and asymmetry is well handled.
    @Swizzle : Cool work on texture so far, maybe just try to blend a bit more softly the both skin tones, it seems really split right know.
    @Nix : Cool concept, I hope that you will have time to make it in 3D
    @Stinger88 : Great silhouette and proportions so far, really fun !
    @Seven : Nice model, I like the cartoon style !
    @Levus : I'm really curious to see your model in LowPoly version, great style
    @Onelung : I like the effects on the hands, but I'm really not sure about the scarification/burned skin with PC logo on the torso, I find it weird, but I'm maybe the only one who have noticed this detail ;)
    @Bogdan : Lovely modeling man !

Well here is my last WIP on my model, starting with texture. Just trying to play with some effects for the hologram stuff, not really happy with it but it's a minor issue.
    It's still the first iteration, and I'm not done with the overall first pass...

TechnoMage_WIP_03.jpg
  • n-pigeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My character is technomage, he uses sound of his electric violin to atack with soudwave, control his robogolems and enemies minds.

If you ask why stilts. He is very narcissistic, so he wants everyone to see his performance on battlefield.

concept
    tuluzvirtuoz.png

WIP model for now 2246 tris
    86067049.png
  • Scoot_da_Poot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scoot_da_Poot polycounter lvl 11
    wow. The work I'm seeing is looking pretty amazing. Can't wait to see all the final models!
    I'm jumping in late but started roughing out the model already so hopefully I can finish in time. I had posted the concepts a little while back but I don't know if anyone got to see. I decided to go with # 4. Let me know what ya think :)

149103_525000877680_80901468_31102339_2063808_n.jpg

148849_525053756710_80901468_31103633_2806625_n.jpg
  • Wharkk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arkhange : I like your style, textures are looking good so far. Because of the hair and helmet, your guy's profile reminds me of the Rocketeer
    @n-pigeon : Really clean regal-looking design. Are those grenades or bells?

Heres a WIP texture pass on my corrupted tank guy with a rushed rig and pose. The deformation in the pose made some interesting shapes and I may reconsider his armor shape.
    EZ3H5.jpg
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    really dig the work in here. :)

some progress for tonight. I threw a bit of color in and I'm probably gonna go back over the textured areas more in a bit... we'll see.

HIAHB_color_progress_01.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    @seven: hehe, I like ya model idea. Plus some great modeling texturing.

Well just a bit of an update here. I'm not sure where to put folds on her dress or how to paint them with a mouse lol.
    predomwip.jpg
  • Doyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doyen polycounter lvl 6
    Working on my textures - self lit render, they still need alot of work.
    I'm also thinking of changing up her legs so they're not so plain.
    doyentexturesstart.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    I was able to tie up a few loose ends with my character. Im still not 100% sure about the PC logo on his chest. I'll will probably wrestle with that up until the end. I added some asymmetrical elements like a PC Tattoo and some blood splatters.

CharacterSheet.jpg
  • redwake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YramMesh.jpg
    Checking in. Here're some polys. Some things ain't right, like her head. A few fixes & I'll texture. UVs done. 2998 tris.
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truckin' along with my textures. Looks like I won't be finished before Thanksgiving but hopefully I'll be mostly done with at least the diffuse before that.

xbbiix.png

But yeah, I went a ahead and made some more modifications to the design, mainly the skull that used to be on his chest plate. The texture didn't look right with the geometry I had set up for it so I went in a different direction with it.
  • Ronin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ronin polycounter lvl 6
    Hi!
    First of all want to say that this pre dominance has a lot of good ideas!
    Ithoual, Swizzle, JFletcher and ocarian- with his thecnomage! Just awesome dudes!
    I think the main battle will be very interesting!
    Anyway I'm new here and want to try my skills and be a part of polycount team.

This is the fast sketch I made but I also already done the zbrush dummy wich I will post later.

shadowsketch.jpg
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well , the level is getting so high that it's become really hard to give feedback and a massive " awesome " is not really useful. I can only say that it's really " teaching " to see you guyz work... it's really challenging (and a bit frightening :poly121: ) .

Doyen : Nice beginning for the texture, if i were your i'd just change the dark color of the green fabric peace, it's maybe a bit to black and it's confusing with the hair and feathers and it makes your character a bit harder to read, i just say that because it's the kind of issue i usually have to deal with :].

N Pigeon : Nice concept, i like the idea :]!

As i said the works are so awesome that I've decided to take few days only to try to polish and improve the texture / color / detail level on my character. I've tried to tweak the overall contrast on the character and add some colours. Anyway, Thx for the advices and give Feedback plz!
    ithoualpdwvplanche04.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    i like the FX, it makes it much less static.
  • Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man i've missed a lot of amazing work since last saturday, keep it up guys!

I finally managed to get some time to to push the model further, still needs some tweaking. Tris @ 2989 now. No hurries yet and the really interesting part is ahead!

sixton_dw5_wip_007.jpg

@redwake: a lot better! yay
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    @Ithoual -- thats coming out bangarang!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    @sixton: Glad you made her boobs smaller(i can´t believe i just said that!) , but her head is way to small.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    @Ithoual

Awesome! I think the fx would be a good idea too. :)
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    I think I should jump onto this too, seems I'm not the only one who's gotten a late start at least ^^;

I'm aiming to work from my concept of an arachnid warrior.

Arachnoid3.png
  • Doyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doyen polycounter lvl 6
    Ahh, thanks for the tip about readability Ithoual, I feel like I'm learning alot by participating in this challenge.
  • Xyniph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph polycounter lvl 12
    @ onelunglewis, JFletcher, and Ithoual: Those are all coming out fantastic!

Falling way behind on this between finals, moving, and thanksgiving, but I plan to finish him no matter what.

No more concern whatsoever about meeting the poly count; 1522 is the current.

dwv08turntable05.jpg

The plan looks to be; round out the piping more, detail the head, differ the two cannons, pose the model, and add geometry anywhere I feel he needs it. I'm way below budget currently :)
  • Pang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basemesh for shadow00088hbq
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Arkhange - nice color theme, I like it! And thx for the comment!

onelunglewis - Very cool character design, It's looking very dynamic!
    I suggest to do more work with metal material, It's looking a little uniformly, need some light blinks on edges, maybe some different color tones on each parts of metal.
    I like head very very much, hands and crystals on his back too, but body parts and metal parts need some more eyecandy in my opinion.

Ithoual - Love the proportions and texturing work, I'm waiting final piece:)
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @onelunglewis - Is that 3k polys? Looks like you're way below, tho I might be wrong. Ofcause its not a req to use em all, but you might aswell.

Im late to join the freight train, will finish concept 2morow..
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
    seven: Really interesting concept. Keep going.

Ithoual: Still fantastic textures. I think with fx better. Personally I don't like hair idea, but technically it looks nice.

UP:
    73274491.jpg
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Chugging along...

309oxe8.png
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Loving those belts Firebat but I'm not keen on the anatomy. Look up more ref if you haven't already. For starters his chest muscles goes too far down and the biceps are too long. The back of the arms seem to have some wierd tricep thing going on as well.

It has potential though so keep going :)
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwar_wip09.jpg

just a little bit of progress...... the week off for thanksgiving + a blizzard headed this way = lots of time to work on this :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Getting it done reaaaally slowly, definately have to get better at painting :-/

Here is my newest WIP, Suggestions would be much apprechiated.

goblintechnomage2.png
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Levus wrote: »
    Stinger88 - Love the concept, silhouette remids me Eartworm Jim;)

Thanks. Yeah I thought of EWJ when I first did the head design. But its not much like it now I look at it. The styling is similar though. But thats a good thing...right...

Anyhoo. The battle rages on! Time for some secret weapons developement. The enemy will never know whats hit them!!!

tonights update:
    Mainly polycrunching, main character under 2K now. Need to add chains or maybe straps is better (Big chains are sooo yesterday) and also add a cape.
    addition of "SECRET WEAPON codename: Lumpy Custard" authorised personnel only :P

UV'ing tomorrow hopefully.

modelpolycrunch.jpg
  • ETA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ETA
    clipboard01bl.th.jpg

2549 tri for now :]
  • RoboBunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great works so far, i hope i can finish my concept (yes i am late :() and post it tonight.

@ Arkhange : Very nice model and great textures but , something in her eyes seems not right. you know It is caused by the lack of geometry and it seems her head is shaped like the helmet she is wearing instead of a regular skull shape.
    That just cathed my eye and I hope it helps.
  • Faf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faf interpolator
    Hi all !

This is my first post in this forum and my first participation for the dominance war challenge.
    I chose a shadow class for my character. She's inspired by an arlequin or a jester and she's using its claws as deadly weapons.

I'm not satisfied with her hat, if you any ideas!
    Critique are most appreciated !

sanstitre1mmk.jpg

turnk.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • CataFa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CataFa polycounter lvl 11
    Hi,

It's a bit late but I decide to jump in anyway and join the polycount army this year.
    Here is a very rough concept to explore some ideas, then I decide to start with the mesh and adjust things on the fly. The mesh is currently at 2800 tris, so still some room to play.

dmw5_pre_concept.JPG

dmw5_pre_wip01.JPG

[EDIT]
    I just noticed that something went wrong during the images upload, that's what happens with bad internet connections. I've updated the pictures.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Some more work and experiment with new wersion of pants:
    billyrender09.jpg
  • rico271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here goes my modelling for my entry
    working on the head now
    but here i have so far with 1870 tris
    lowpoly.jpg

• mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    murph wrote: »
    just a little bit of progress...... the week off for thanksgiving + a blizzard headed this way = lots of time to work on this :)

Heh. BLIZZARD. I get it.

Edit for content!

wjat03.jpg

Blocking in color, looking at overall composition, warms/cools, contrast, etc. I'll probably change the kneepad as that's drawing the eye way too much.
  • 3D Freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how the modeling is going so far, a lot of work to go
    any helpful comments are great
    Thank

46548998.gif
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3DFreak : You will maybe struggling with the rest of your model if you keep this level of details. Maybe try to model the overall shape before starting on the armor plates etc... Maybe you will have enough tris in the end to add some more details where you want or try to fake these in your texture.
    On the biceps it seems like you have one/two edge loop who are just useless. Try to keep the same edge flow/density everywhere.
    Good luck
  • kirian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my new sweet photo
    working on uv and diff
    husariolow1.jpg
  • 3D Freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkhange : Thanks I appreciate the help
  • Mudkipz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't updated in a bit, guess I better share with the class, haha, blocked out the colours, just need to spend the rest of my time adding details and intricacies.

Anyways this is it SI'd, woo progressss,
    Good luck on your work everyone!

Update-3.jpg
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    JFletcher wrote: »
    More progress on my texture:

texturewip.jpg

Time for bed now! :)

This is looking really sweet. I feel that you could push this a lot with some colored shadows. It looks like all of your shadows are black.
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jfletcher i love you and your robut a great deal. let me know what i need to do to purchase one of my own.

everyone's stuff is really looking amazing.

here's some progress from today... trying to finish up modeling tonight, I reeeally need to move onto uvs and painting.

domwar_sil.jpg

dwar_sword.jpg

domwar_swordgeo.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    @ homes
    Lookin good, love the concept. I think you could save a lot of polys by doing his hands in a fist (as they read to me at first in the concept) and use those tris to round out the rest of him (specifically his right shoulderpad and arms.

@kirian
    Very nice, but i think a bit stale in terms of proportion for a competition like this, could just be my opinion though. I think you could size up the shoulderpad and those plates on his side in the waist area to make him a bit burlier.

Really strong pieces all around in here, keep it ups guys, anyone's ball game for sure.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    @ Homes The concept is Ace and the sword looks good nice silhouette.

Small Update I gonna painted over real quick for some armor ideas.
    PredomWar_03-1.jpg

Maybe I will call him SuperPolyman