Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• Mrandk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I updated last, had to put everything on hold for a mocap final. Anyways after looking at my character in terms of interest I wasn't happy with the simplicity of the model so I went back and rearranged some triangles to get a more witchdoctor'y look for my corrupter Also put more color back into the pallet since I was getting scary close to an all gray character.

So much more to do and so little time!
    Screen%2Bshot%2B2010-11-24%2Bat%2B11.16.31%2BPM.png
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    shiiiiiit Mrandk I am diggin that!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Nice textures Mrandk!

How much time is left! WE NEED A COUNTDOWN CLOCK!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    There is a week and a half left...

Still plenty of time to get cracking and whoop your asses >_>...
  • PirateSpider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount! This is my first post here but Ive been a long time lurker. I figure since i need to post some WIPs in order to qualify for this DW challenge now was a great time to start posting. Some of the stuff in this thread is jaw dropping, so it is with great humility that i submit my 5 minute concept and as of yet unoptimized model. Let me know what you think.

WarGeneral.jpg

Shes a war general. I Started work on this 2 days ago :\ So hopefully i can make the deadline, but who knows. Also does anyone know if doublesided polys are allowed?
  • shaggystiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little bit progress, still be symmetrical

Sinttulo-1copia-1.jpg
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SpeCter - Was sleepy when posting, I meen the back piece ofc xD.

Quality work people, will check in with some ++ l8ter.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Neeeearly done. Just need to add the bellows and bomb bag. Going to swap the Rotor blade thing for a pair of opera glasses to look through. I'm getting close to 3,000 polys now, so there'll then need to be a whole lot of optimisation. Shouldn't be a big concern.
    duchessmodelwip2jpg.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    @PirateSpider: Great modeling so far! Yeah double sided polys are allowed, so gogogo!
    @Jackablade: I like what you've got so far, waiting intently for further updates :)

Just painted the hair so far, and I just noticed that the eyebrows don't match the hair's colours anymore so I'm gonna quickly do that.
    wipdom.jpg
  • shaggystiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almost done !!!!!

Sinttulo-1copia-2.jpg
  • Pang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on detail concept now, based on rough mesh
    0008bcdr
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    @itismario - Thx! I can't wait too:)
    @Snex - Thx! Jacket and hands are sketched in zbrush to the general form stage, then I did retopology and do some polymodeling with meshsmoothing at end.
  • Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here's the other views that were requested:

sixton_dw5_shadow_wip_wires.jpg

@SpeCter: Good choise and good going! The robo-legs are what makes the character at the moment, otherwise it would have been 'just a goblin'

@sp0kelset: That looks pretty solid. You could add some stuff to the spear? Maybe leather/deco or things like that!

@audi100: Nice! Reminds me a bit of Ahn'Qiraj monsters in some random MMO.

@dregoloth: It's really hard to comment much yet. Keep it up though!

@Ithoual: That's one of the best texturing i've seen in quite a while! Can't wait to see it finished.

@Nix: Strong shapes. I like your progress! Dunno if it's just me but his legs seem just slightly too pillar-shaped. Maybe look into that a bit?

@kirian: Loving it!

@Mrandk: Very cool! Have you thought how it would read if the belt buckle and bracers lost a bit of that uber-gritty texture and you'd go for slightly more painted look?
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samhakem polycounter lvl 14
    OK, been a while since I posted, haven't had much time to work on my entry...anyways have done the major muscles, tendons and bones, going to do some hard surface stuff next in Maya, then hopefully finish off with a quick retopo and some unwrapping and then texturing, this high poly should make a good base for the difuse.

Levus, loving the sculpt man, you making those details in maya first or doing them in Zbrush with like Alphas or something?

Hope I make it in time!

update1.jpg

sever.MOVupdate2.jpg

update3.jpg

update4.jpg
    sever.MOV
    sever.MOV
  • David493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there

As an school subject we neede to participate in an CG challenge, and i decided to join the Dom war challenge for the first time, im pretty new to polycount (I was visiting this site but I never registered) so how can i upload my WIP files?

Grtz,
    David
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    @samhakem - I did retopology on the surface (coat, boots) to get detail shapes, then I exported shapes to max, give some thickness to it and did some polymodeling refine and import it back to zbrush.
  • Daharan86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the model :d

Did uv's this morning.

Time has come for the real fun part; texturing.
    Think I'll be doing only a diffuse and maybe an emissive.

37fec3a18150c17eee6c48904d4fc.jpg
  • kirian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinking about colors:/
    husariolow2.jpg
    husariolow2.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hey Shaggystiano,
    nice looking model, just take a look at the size of the ribcage; at this point it seems a little small in comparison to what it ought to be. Feel your ribcage, and how close it comes to the pelvis. And, in being honest, the pelvis is rather small as well, I think.

Here is a quick little thingy, showing some of the proportions that are off. Note, I did scale up/down some parts of the original; the head was too small, for instance; also the ribcage/pelvis. The legs were a bit off. The shoulders are a bit too insubstantial. Anyway, I really do love it so far, and can't wait to see it finished!

sinttulo1copia1.jpg

P.S. Ignore the feet; just make sure the ankles go where they are drawn too. Experiment with the pelvis and ribcage while looking at reference, until it looks right.

Once again, I love it. I only post comments on things I wish to see succeed/expect to see succeed. So, enjoy.

Also, jFletcher, awesome.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    weisheng wrote: »
    pewp

poop.jpg

loving this one to bits.
    except the head/face though..maybe if you promise me that the eyes will be animatable, I'll love it all the way through ;D
    can totally see this having a Prince of Persia Sands of Time-ish runcycle! one hand on the sword and running all sideway-wise!

buckets man... bucket loads :poly117:
  • Ronin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ronin polycounter lvl 6
    Hi!
    My update:

detailszbrush01.jpg
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    DomWar_04.jpg
    I'm in trouble with the polycount, about 2900 tris right now...
    (the green dot is the polycount logo :] )
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress!

qpkqw0.jpg

Comments anyone?
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
    viv: Interesting concept. Green logo should be bigger if you want it visible.
    kirian: Nice model. Keep looking for more color schemes.
    Daharan86: Really interesting shilouette and weapon design. If you wont mess up textures it will be good model :D

My up:
    83250461.jpg
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little more progress:

dwar_wip13.jpg

happy thanksgiving! :D
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kirian, I like the way you work. Very solid and methodical process it seems like.

Murphy, sweet ass texture. The metal on the bracers are reading abit like rocks imo though.
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    Murph - looks great, can;t wait to see the final image ^^

gonna do some texture painting at last
    wiresz.jpg
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat wrote: »
    My up:
    83250461.jpg

love this one! great job..
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murph: Your painting is really cool and i enjoy your colours! We don't even remember it's 3D :] Great work !

I Finally Unwraped all the mesh now that i know where i go. I started the leg textures with the front plate and the tabar. I'm still looking for a way to build a better hierarchy on the character's details and colors, it's still a bit hard to read i think.

Anyway that's it, feedback plz! And good luck everyone :] !
    ithoualpdwvplanche06.jpg
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa so many good entries!

Firebat: Like how u done the wings... I also like that u added the extra color variation on the wings. U might want to add some more color variation on the rest of the character...just a subtle hue tint in the skin. Looks really cool tho.

Ithoual: Me like the colors :D looks nice!

Murph: Also great work...love the chunkiness and the big details.

Viv: looking nice... about the polycount, post a wire-frame image so that we can see if there are areas on the model where polygons can be saved. Usually it is on surfaces that don't have much to offer to the silhouette.

weisheng : Awesum!

I my self have been very busy with work. But I'm finally getting close to completing the model. I decided to go with a mix of the both concepts.
    Keep up the good work guys, gotta go!

shadowpn.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin really good Ithoual. Finding it hard to ome up with any crits.

He seem to consist overall only by warmer colours. Adding a blue ambience to the shadows would push the depth a lot more I think.
    Perhaps saturate the green a bit more. Could onflict with the yellow glow though.

edit: Sorry, missed you there Ziggy. Mesh's looking good. You way want to add an extra edge loop horisontaly across the "face" so it wont stretch as much if the head is turned.
  • ETA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ETA
    murph - awesome texture!!

Little up:
    1212121r42.th.jpg
    1212121f.th.jpg
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    Lookin really good Ithoual. Finding it hard to ome up with any crits.

He seem to consist overall only by warmer colours. Adding a blue ambience to the shadows would push the depth a lot more I think.
    Perhaps saturate the green a bit more. Could onflict with the yellow glow though.

edit: Sorry, missed you there Ziggy. Mesh's looking good. You way want to add an extra edhe loop horisontaly across the "face" so it wont stretch as much if the head is turned.

Awesum! Thanks for the heads-up, I totally missed that :D
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    OK. todays update. Model finally finished and uv'd. I decided to give everything unique texture space rather than mirroring stuff. Might change that though if I'm not getting enough detail. Will see how it goes.

EDIT: ooh. I tell a lie. The gloves are mirrored

Sorry im not giving much C&C back to you guys. Will try and find time but I need to get motoring on this model. Stuffs looking great though.

uvfinal.jpg

uvmap01.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I'm loving the work coming out of this thread! Really impressive stuff.
    DW_03.jpg
    Super early texture work. Have a whole lot to do.
  • thiel_joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    . Ectovoron the Aethertect .
    . . . . . . TechnoMage . . . . . .
    domV_thieljoe_technomage_23_render_001_UVed_s.jpg

quick update now with UVs!

Mrandk: new colors are looking great , has a cool style! the raised edges of green tooth on the belt is a bit extreme contrast or grainy or something , might try a larger bevel edge with sharp gradient like you have for the hood /collar.

audi100: i like this a lot , the texture for the glaive weapon is awesome!

Nix : nice work on the blockout , the concept is kick ass ! think the arms of the model could use some love and be beefed up with the plated armor. proportions are looking pretty good , tho mayb the upper body and head especially could be scaled up?, compared to the concept they look slightly different.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    awesome work, Murph. Great job!
  • n-pigeon
  • shaggystiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joopson
    Thank you very much for the comment
    You are right in the proportions I just waiting to have all modeled to give proper proportions
    still need to model the face and hair
    then modifies the proportions

thank you very much
  • shaggystiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After and before thanks Joopson

Sinttulo-1copia-3.jpg
  • whiteshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More Progress over the break. Happy Thanksgiving all.

I think I'm having a little Tron Legacy influence in there. :)

shadowwip.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Update:
    DudeTest_04.jpg

OMG Murph! Epic Amounts of Uber Winsauce!
    Ziggy: Freakin love the goblins man!
    Stinger: Wicked Proportions braw! Lets see some textures!
    Shaggy: You could use better polygon distrubution. It's too sparse in the cloth, and too dense in the face.
    n-pigeon: Looking good!
    skylebones - cool shit! Get some contrast on there though. Bake out your Ambient Occlusion!
    Ithoual - REALLY digging your painting style. (I actually envy it).
    Kirian - kickass model!
    Firebat: Great texture work! The silhouette on the wings still seems a bit messy, but overall looking sweet.
    Nix - Absolutely sick concept, but you need a little better polygon distribution.
    Levus - usually not a fan of sculpting for something like this, but yours is looking very slick!
    Arkhange - REally coming along nicely! Love the lines, but I think the shoulderpads really make him look unnaturally thin up top.
    seven: SO much personality! absolutely love it!
    Hntrluc - DUDE looking sweet! I wanna see some finish!
    JFletcher - You're quickly becoming one of my favorite texture painters!
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Go go gadget progress shots!

textures-03.jpg

textures-02.jpg

Plugin' away. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • shaggystiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just fine tune some details
    and start with the texture

mi_dominance_a_todo_color_by_shaggystino-d32soum.jpg

Sinttulo-1copia-4.jpg
    thanks a lot JacqueChoi for your coment

PD. your model is awesome
  • CataFa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CataFa polycounter lvl 11
    JFletcher: awesome texture work, your model looks sweet.

Murph: nice model and I like your metal work.

Seven: lovely color and great texture.

Arkhange: your model is shaping up very nicely, looking forward to see more.

Too many entries to comment on everyone, good work all around.
    Here is my progress so far, this should be the final mesh standing at 2994 tris.

dmw5_pre_wip02.jpg
  • Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a long time coming, changed my idea 5 times. I am finally happy with what I have come up with, and just by making 5 characters I have really improved by low poly skills.

Not sure if this is going to be a War General or Corrupted.
    20181739.png

@CataFa: Really liking that mesh, you could probably optimize the hands and boots to get more detail in the head, if you need it.

@JacqueChoi: Amazing stuff... please write a tutorial.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I'm happy with myself :), texturing without any tablet, had to find a way to make hair, so I just make a bunch of lines and smudged them with a hard brush... ahahaha so weak

2ecp1ms.jpg

I still have to model in some stuff for the empty spaces, and the plugs.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Aaaaaaand more of tonight's work.

DOUBLE UPDATES:

textures-04a.jpg

textures-04b.jpg

Ugh, must sleep.
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sooo much good stuff on here! you people amaze me.

i'm a little behind but I finished my model/uvs and am headed into painting now.

rough first pass on the face:

dwar_face2.jpg