Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    How do i get a sharp env. map reflection... I'm making a copper dive helmet, but even if i set the gloss texture to 100% white it still doesn't reflect a sharp env map. this is the look im going for.
    http://vallejogallery.com/objects/diving%20helmets/Mark%20v%20number%205169%20%20D83/1000%20dpi%20front%20.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    How do i get a sharp env. map reflection... I'm making a copper dive helmet, but even if i set the gloss texture to 100% white it still doesn't reflect a sharp env map. this is the look im going for.
    http://vallejogallery.com/objects/diving%20helmets/Mark%20v%20number%205169%20%20D83/1000%20dpi%20front%20.jpg

Setting the gloss map to white and turning the sharpness all the way up with the Specular Sharpness slider will give you the max sharpness for the IBL specular reflection. You can manually type in values higher than 256, however, I think that will only effect the sharpness of dynamic lights.

This is something that we will likely address in a future release.
  • smokechok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why i can't use tessellation?? marmoset sais that dx11 is not detected, but i have v 11 installed

my card is gtx 260 and i'm using trial version, win 7
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smokechok wrote: »
    why i can't use tessellation?? marmoset sais that dx11 is not detected, but i have v 11 installed

my card is gtx 260 and i'm using trial version, win 7

Unfortunately your GTX 260 only supports DirectX 10. You will have to buy a newer GPU with DX11 support to use DX11 features. I think the 4XX series cards were the first to support DX11.
  • smokechok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Unfortunately your GTX 260 only supports DirectX 10. You will have to buy a newer GPU with DX11 support to use DX11 features. I think the 4XX series cards were the first to support DX11.

thx!!! today i bought a 660 :)

but i'm having problems with tessellation.....86383457.jpg

seems that tess only works up and down....

top right:zbrush
    bottom right displacement extracted from zbrush
    rest: marmoset

why it happens...i tried with several meshes... and other tests and always same result
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smokechok wrote: »
    thx!!! today i bought a 660 :)

but i'm having problems with tessellation.....86383457.jpg

seems that tess only works up and down....

top right:zbrush
    bottom right displacement extracted from zbrush
    rest: marmoset

why it happens...i tried with several meshes... and other tests and always same result

That is strange indeed. My initial reaction is maybe something is wrong with the vertex normals on your low poly mesh? If you can't figure it out, I would like to take a look at your files, so upload them somewhere(dropbox etc) and send me a PM with the link, or email the files to toolbag@marmoset.co

We've also got a tutorial on displacement mapping here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/displacement
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhythem02 polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Guys, is there any way to output bigger images from marmoset at 300dpi. I know you can output it in x2,x3...x5 but it create some sort of artifacts even if the supersampling is increased.

Thanks
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi

I would like to ask is there anyway to output an image from marmosette bigger than the screen at 300dpi?. i know you can output at x2 up to x5 but it creates weird artifacts even if you maximize the super sampling.

Thanks
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

I would like to ask if you can output an image from marmoset bigger than the screen at 300dpi resolution. I know you can change the size x2 up to x5 but it creates a weird artifact even when you maximize the supersampling.

thanks
  • smokechok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is strange indeed. My initial reaction is maybe something is wrong with the vertex normals on your low poly mesh? If you can't figure it out, I would like to take a look at your files, so upload them somewhere(dropbox etc) and send me a PM with the link, or email the files to toolbag@marmoset.co

We've also got a tutorial on displacement mapping here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/displacement

problem solved!!

i need to freeze and freeze all transforms in softimage to lowres mesh

thx for all!
  • Marcasa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree the free version of 3Point doesn't expire.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhythem02 wrote: »
    Hi

I would like to ask if you can output an image from marmoset bigger than the screen at 300dpi resolution. I know you can change the size x2 up to x5 but it creates a weird artifact even when you maximize the supersampling.

thanks

Hi, DPI is as printing term and doesn't really have any use for digital images on computers, for instance, from monitor to monitor the DPI can vary wildly. DPI is pixels per inch.

If you want to print your images at a certain size and DPI, you need to do some basic math. Say you want to print your image at 300DPI and 9 inches wide, you would do 300x9=2700 pixels wide, so you would adjust your output settings until you can export an image at least 2700px wide.

Uping the export resolution shouldn't create any artifacts, unless you resizing the image later in photoshop. If you can post some images of the artifacts you get when using the 2x, 4x, etc settings I may be able to help.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry if this has been answered already, but every time I re-import my .fbx I lose my material assignments. Ordinarily this is no big deal, but I'm doing some heavy iteration with hair cards. It seems like the only way to keep mat assignments is by using the proprietary .mesh format, even if I'm saving a scene. Is this a limitation or am I doing something wrong? If this is a limitation, couldn't you use the .tbag scene to store material assignments to a .fbx based on the chunk naming conventions?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered already, but every time I re-import my .fbx I lose my material assignments. Ordinarily this is no big deal, but I'm doing some heavy iteration with hair cards. It seems like the only way to keep mat assignments is by using the proprietary .mesh format, even if I'm saving a scene. Is this a limitation or am I doing something wrong? If this is a limitation, couldn't you use the .tbag scene to store material assignments to a .fbx based on the chunk naming conventions?

Sorry but this is a limitation of the current scene/model system.

For the next major revision of toolbag, we've revamped the scene system completely and have added a lot improvements, like saving materials in the scene file itself, so you can load meshes, reload meshes, and apply the same material to multiple different objects without losing your material settings.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Rad, thanks EQ. Sounds like a great feature update. Keep making awesome tools :)

Also, I'm using a alpha-to-coverage material on these little hairs. At certain angles they look great, and others I get a white dithering effect instead. Is this a limitation of the technique?

DitherChange.jpg
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    Can someone help me with how to stop this from happening as when i input this model into marmoset it messes up. do i need to attach all objects into one? or what? pls help.

screenshot0.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Try fbx?
    i Have i have tried FBX OBJ and 3ds im not sure what happening
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger wrote: »
    Rad, thanks EQ. Sounds like a great feature update. Keep making awesome tools :)

Also, I'm using a alpha-to-coverage material on these little hairs. At certain angles they look great, and others I get a white dithering effect instead. Is this a limitation of the technique?

DitherChange.jpg

Yeah, sorry I think this is just a limitation of the A2C technique.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone help me with how to stop this from happening as when i input this model into marmoset it messes up. do i need to attach all objects into one? or what? pls help.

screenshot0.jpg

So, it looks like you're trying to load your highpoly mesh into toolbag. Toolbag as is isn't really designed for that, its meant for uved, textured lowpoly game assets. So some things to keep in mind:

A. Make sure your entire mesh has valid uvs
    B. Make sure your mesh normals are being exported correctly
    C. Try manually triangulating your mesh before export

If you can't get that to work, I will be happy to look at your file, upload it(OBJ or FBX) somewhere(dropbox etc) and send me a pm, or email me at earthqke at gmail.
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    Hi there!

I read the tutorial about the displacement on marmoset page. I know the trick to hide the uvseams, but sometimes you can't do it.

Well, this evening I put this character in maya2013.5 to see how the displacement works there and I can't see any seams.

Now I'm wondering if this is a real marmoset problem. I love marmoset and I want finish my model there. Anybody know if it will fix it in a future marmoset release?

Both, model and texture are identical. And marmoset displacements settings in each material same as well.

Thanks.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo wrote: »
    Hi there!

I read the tutorial about the displacement on marmoset page. I know the trick to hide the uvseams, but sometimes you can't do it.

Well, this evening I put this character in maya2013.5 to see how the displacement works there and I can't see any seams.

Now I'm wondering if this is a real marmoset problem. I love marmoset and I want finish my model there. Anybody know if it will fix it in a future marmoset release?

Both, model and texture are identical. And marmoset displacements settings in each material same as well.

Thanks.

Hey, thanks for this!

When I did the displacment shader tutorial I had a chat about the seam issues with one of our guys, if I remember correctly we're doing tessellation/displacement in a pretty common way that is prone to these sort of seam errors. Its great to have a solid example of it being implemented correctly in a realtime renderer though, I will definitely show them the Maya stuff to see if that is something we can improve.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey, thanks for this!

When I did the displacment shader tutorial I had a chat about the seam issues with one of our guys, if I remember correctly we're doing tessellation/displacement in a pretty common way that is prone to these sort of seam errors. Its great to have a solid example of it being implemented correctly in a realtime renderer though, I will definitely show them the Maya stuff to see if that is something we can improve.
    Yea, AFAIK it is pretty hard (read as lots of work) not to have seams when tessellating a mesh with UVs. The same thing happens in UDK too.
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks for this!

no problem. Thanks to you. I just notice that dx11shader2 has vector displacement addition. It really doesn't matter for videogames because we don't use it right now. But for character presentation/rendering it could be an awesome tool to have a better displacement. :)
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, it looks like you're trying to load your highpoly mesh into toolbag. Toolbag as is isn't really designed for that, its meant for uved, textured lowpoly game assets. So some things to keep in mind:

A. Make sure your entire mesh has valid uvs
    B. Make sure your mesh normals are being exported correctly
    C. Try manually triangulating your mesh before export

If you can't get that to work, I will be happy to look at your file, upload it(OBJ or FBX) somewhere(dropbox etc) and send me a pm, or email me at earthqke at gmail.
    thanks i am indeed trying to put my highpoly mesh in there :) guess i am going to have to wait until i have finished it and made a low poly :).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks i am indeed trying to put my highpoly mesh in there :) guess i am going to have to wait until i have finished it and made a low poly :).

While Toolbag isn't specifically designed to handle it, you can do it. If the UVs are the issue, you can apply a basic planar map to it. You don't need "good" uvs, the uvs just need to have valid data otherwise the mesh will get all corrupt and weird.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EarthQuake
    this helped alot :)
  • fabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabs polycounter lvl 10
    could you guys from 8monkey lab add one more monkey and help out MAC user plz we would like
    to render our project in marmoset
    i tried to use this StoogeExport plugin in Maya 2013 but you guys just have a windows version i guess????? if anyone know a version of StoogeExport plugin for MAC plz let me know...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabs wrote: »
    could you guys from 8monkey lab add one more monkey and help out MAC user plz we would like
    to render our project in marmoset
    i tried to use this StoogeExport plugin in Maya 2013 but you guys just have a windows version i guess????? if anyone know a version of StoogeExport plugin for MAC plz let me know...

Good news first, a Mac version of toolbag is in the works. We're actually going to be at GDC in about a week, and we'll have the the new version with us running on a Mac Book (in its very early stages) if anyone wants to take a look. We don't have a booth but we'll be at the Polycount meetup.

The bad news: We don't have a version of the plugin for Maya 2013, only up to 2012. If you're not trying to import animations though, you can use FBX or OBJ.

Edit: Correction, Toolbag 1.08 does come with a Maya 2013 stooge plugin, it is only compatible with the Windows version of Maya however.
  • jimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimbo polycounter lvl 4

screenshot0.jpg

Hey I was having a similar issue with a 50k poly model in Marmoset. I managed to figure out it was when I exported form max (2010). I'm using the gwobj exporter and to fix it I cranked up precision to 12.

boardissue.png

gwobj link
    http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mole420 polycounter lvl 10
    Having some weird problems with Tessellation, had problems so thought id test it with the assets in EarthQuake's tutorial on the marmoset site. Not really sure whats going on with it as UDK and CryEngine work fine with tessillation on my machine but Marmoset is looking like This The beginning is just Diffuse, Normal and Displacement, once I turn Spec on things get even worse. Any ideas?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mole420 wrote: »
    Having some weird problems with Tessellation, had problems so thought id test it with the assets in EarthQuake's tutorial on the marmoset site. Not really sure whats going on with it as UDK and CryEngine work fine with tessillation on my machine but Marmoset is looking like This The beginning is just Diffuse, Normal and Displacement, once I turn Spec on things get even worse. Any ideas?

I'm going to guess that this is some sort of hardware or driver issue. Try updating your video drivers first off, if that doesn't help let me know what hardware you're running, and what OS.
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video drivers are all up to date.
    System is:
    Radeon HD 7850
    16GB DDR3 ram
    Windows 7 64bit

I have no problems with tessellation in any other software only seems to happen in marmoset.

*Update*

Doing a bit more testing, the problem stops if I set the sky Lighting preset to Black and add my own lights. But as soon as I adjust the Specular Fresnel it set it off again.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mole420 wrote: »
    Video drivers are all up to date.
    System is:
    Radeon HD 7850
    16GB DDR3 ram
    Windows 7 64bit

I have no problems with tessellation in any other software only seems to happen in marmoset.

*Update*

Doing a bit more testing, the problem stops if I set the sky Lighting preset to Black and add my own lights. But as soon as I adjust the Specular Fresnel it set it off again.

We've got some issues on some of the higher end ATI cards unfortunately. I've noted this as something for our programmers to look at. For now if you can find an nvidia card to use that would be my only solution, sorry!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    We've got some issues on some of the higher end ATI cards unfortunately. I've noted this as something for our programmers to look at. For now if you can find an nvidia card to use that would be my only solution, sorry!
    Got some errors like that on my 6670 as well. Sometimes restarting the marmoset toolbag fixes the errors, weird but thats it and my 6670 is not that high end
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, cheers for looking into it. Have not ran into any other issues with Marmoset and my ATI card so will just use alternate software if I want to work with tessellation.

Have tried restarting but no luck with that unfortunately.
  • David Piech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried to install the Marmoset trial version (to get the "finger print" to buy the full version), but I can't see anything when i open it.

All fonts and texts are replaced with white boxes and my teacher saw that I was having "redrawing" issues.
    I know I have the corrects drivers and versions, because it said it installed "successfully".

Is there any thing that someone can recommend?

As additional information:
    I am running windows 7
    with Radeon HD 6770M

Below is what I see when I open the program:

LZh0z97

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I do not know why but updating my driver fixed it.
    I'm just confused because my driver seemed to meet the requirements we downloading.

Either way, big thanks to my teacher for solving/walking me through this.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried to install the Marmoset trial version (to get the "finger print" to buy the full version), but I can't see anything when i open it.

All fonts and texts are replaced with white boxes and my teacher saw that I was having "redrawing" issues.
    I know I have the corrects drivers and versions, because it said it installed "successfully".

Is there any thing that someone can recommend?

As additional information:
    I am running windows 7
    with Radeon HD 6770M

Below is what I see when I open the program:

LZh0z97

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I do not know why but updating my driver fixed it.
    I'm just confused because my driver seemed to meet the requirements we downloading.

Either way, big thanks to my teacher for solving/walking me through this.

First off, make sure you update your GPU/Video card drivers. The installer does not require the most recent video drivers for the app to be installed.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be an issue with running Toolbag on a mobile/laptop GPU. If you have a desktop with a standard video card I would try that.
  • DEDE_pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,

Just started to use marmoset toolbags

And actually having this hearth burning issue with the material setting.
    Does the toolbag accept both spec and gloss map at the same time ?

If so, how should I apply the maps respectively ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just started to use marmoset toolbags

And actually having this hearth burning issue with the material setting.
    Does the toolbag accept both spec and gloss map at the same time ?

If so, how should I apply the maps respectively ?

Hello,

You place your gloss map in your specular map's alpha channel, and then make sure to save the texture as 32 bit. The gloss map will load automatically. Set the specular sharpness to max (256) so the gloss map will have full control of the values.

I wrote a more in-depth tutorial about the material system, which you can find here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Hi!

I'm having and issue with Marmoset: I've modelled a thing in Maya, then bake the highpoly in the lowpoly in xNormal, and when I put it in Marmoset I get this strange line (you can see it crossing the middle of the circle, like zig-zag):

theproblemc.jpg

But the weird thing is that the normal map looks like this:

normalssy.jpg

There's no problem apparently in the normal map. And in Maya, the mesh with normal maps looks perfect:

meanwhileinmaya.jpg

Also, if I turn off the sky in Marmoset but I create a new light...

lightaz.jpg

Ta-dah! No problem again.

So, What's happening with my poor mesh/normal/whatever? I'm kind of desperate.

Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is really weird, one thing: Make sure you have both a diffuse and normal map loaded. If those slots are blank it will grab something random from the vmem.

Otherwise, send your mesh(in obj or fbx) and normal map to earthqke@marmoset.co and I will have a look at it (though I won't get a chance until after GDC).
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both diffuse and normal are loadead. But finally I get a correct view importing a FBX model instead of and OBJ. Anyways, I'm having this issue with every OBJ in the scene, so change to FBX seems to be the solution for me.

Thanks for the answer :)
  • shirogatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu polycounter lvl 5
    Both diffuse and normal are loadead. But finally I get a correct view importing a FBX model instead of and OBJ. Anyways, I'm having this issue with every OBJ in the scene, so change to FBX seems to be the solution for me.

Thanks for the answer :)

Have you modified smoothing group or UV's on lowpoly?
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. But I've tried and it makes no difference.
  • RezNik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RezNik triangle
    Are you using overlaping UV's?
    In XN have you used the "Ray distance calculator" for the maximum frontal ray distance?
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No overlaping and no distance calculator, just a custom cage. But don't worry anymore, export in FBX fix this problem, at least for me :)
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    hey guys trying to figure this out, I baked my model in xnormal and this is the first time I'm having this problem.

This is what my model looks like with normal map which is fine.
    http://gyazo.com/4c903c4e48b6e77c3068ea421aab62f8

This is what marmoset is saying my alpha in the normal map is which is incorrect.
    http://gyazo.com/9b43e75d2676ef77fc869eafd7ebb83a

This is what the saved screenshots come out looking like.
    http://gyazo.com/e3a818aeb5817bd767bbf0647b64b4b8

here is the actual alpha of the map.
    http://gyazo.com/2f489792e5d0697b7d75a73cfe4eec95

I'd really appreciate the help! thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges wrote: »
    hey guys trying to figure this out, I baked my model in xnormal and this is the first time I'm having this problem.

This is what my model looks like with normal map which is fine.
    http://gyazo.com/4c903c4e48b6e77c3068ea421aab62f8

This is what marmoset is saying my alpha in the normal map is which is incorrect.
    http://gyazo.com/9b43e75d2676ef77fc869eafd7ebb83a

This is what the saved screenshots come out looking like.
    http://gyazo.com/e3a818aeb5817bd767bbf0647b64b4b8

here is the actual alpha of the map.
    http://gyazo.com/2f489792e5d0697b7d75a73cfe4eec95

I'd really appreciate the help! thanks

Hi, I'm a little confused by your post here. What exactly are you trying to do? Your alpha channel looks like a mask of your UV layout. If you don't need transparency, you don't need to use an alpha channel and can simply delete it from your textures (save as 24bit).

If you do need transparency, you need to mask it in your diffuse alpha channel, not the normal map alpha (the NM alpha is for height maps for parallax/displacement mapping).
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Earthquake. Well as you can see the saved screenshots are coming out weird and the toolbag is showing an alpha without any textures loaded at all. So it's somehow picking up an alpha, I don't know where though.

http://gyazo.com/30742a60a2bd79f0dd956957ac7293f7