Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• BRISK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I guess this is the section where questions are supposed to go...

What is the best free software to create world environments?

I am in school right now and have been using Rhinoceros 3d for 4 years now, unfortunately this program is not used for creating 3d environments, instead architectural forms.

I feel that I can grasp any program fairly quickly because of my experience with rhino.

thx
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    BRISK wrote: »
    Hey I guess this is the section where questions are supposed to go...

What is the best free software to create world environments?

I am in school right now and have been using Rhinoceros 3d for 4 years now, unfortunately this program is not used for creating 3d environments, instead architectural forms.

I feel that I can grasp any program fairly quickly because of my experience with rhino.

thx

Your question has absolutely nothing to do with model viewing tool "Marmoset".

Try creating a thread in Technical Talk (this subforum). Blender is free (though I don't know about any world creation features).. Worldmachine has a free trial AFAIK.
  • BRISK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Your question has absolutely nothing to do with model viewing tool "Marmoset".

Try creating a thread in Technical Talk (this subforum). Blender is free (though I don't know about any world creation features).. Worldmachine has a free trial AFAIK.

For some reason I thought an entire thread would be pointless.

I actually decided to download the free student version of Maya and am going to be experimenting in it, thanks.
  • mackster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same bug here, Marmoset 107 fails on load using Win 8 (and Nvidia Gtx 670).
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    So i just installed the update to 1.07.
    Does the emissive not actually glow? It's been a while but I figured the post effects would allow me to control glow. Adjusting bloom amounts isn't really enough for what I'm trying to do.
    I'm struggling to find a good way to get glow besides plopping this into PSD.
    Thanks
    B
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell, I'm not sure if emissive is implemented how you generally see it. I think in marmoset it makes the lighting extremely bright in those areas. Currently I think the bloom post settings are the only way to control it.

If you can post some examples of what you're getting, and also what you would like to see that may help for future feature requests.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it'd be great to have emissive actually light up the surrounding are in the relevant colors - acting as it's own light source. Looks very flat currently.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    same here, emissive has always given me irritating results.

i wonder however if the marmoset developers are still looking in here at all? or how alive toolbag is these days in general? it's been a while.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    thomasp wrote: »

i wonder however if the marmoset developers are still looking in here at all? or how alive toolbag is these days in general? it's been a while.
    Marmoset was updated to 1.07 a few days ago :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »

Marmoset Toolbag is very much alive and we do have people keeping tabs on this thread. (AFAIK the Windows 8 issues are being worked on, no ETA though).

However again, if you guys could post some images to show what sort of emissive behavior you want that would be great. Even something like the same asset in toolbag and again in a different engine(UDK or something?) that has emissive that you like. Its hard to make feature requests without specific examples.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Marmoset Toolbag is very much alive and we do have people keeping tabs on this thread. (AFAIK the Windows 8 issues are being worked on, no ETA though).

However again, if you guys could post some images to show what sort of emissive behavior you want that would be great. Even something like the same asset in toolbag and again in a different engine(UDK or something?) that has emissive that you like. Its hard to make feature requests without specific examples.

Emissive maps that actually act as a light source and illuminate the mesh (and surrounding meshes) and cast shadows would be fantastic.
    I would love to have the ability to push the emissive values past a value of 1 too, so that it blooms like in UDK.

This is what I mean about the blooming...it's an old pic, but you get the idea. :)

emissive_test.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having trouble getting displacement maps working in Marmoset. Is there a tutorial?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting displacement maps working in Marmoset. Is there a tutorial?
    Tessellation is controlled by a separate Displacement map that is placed in the Displacement slot under each material. You have to have a normal map loaded in the material for it to work though iirc.

Make sure the tessellation slider is not set at 0 too.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I'm also having trouble with Windows 8 (x64) and Marmoset 1.07. The process is sitting in task manager, but fails to load.

That said, Version 1.03 works correctly with little to no hassle.

ATI 6950 // Windows 8 X64

Same here:/

Edit: Just saw the EQ said it's being work on, once it works I shall but it.
  • sonictk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, is there any way to bring animations from Maya 2012 into Marmoset? I tried using the 2011 stoogeExport plugin but it just tells me that the procedure could not be found when I try to load in the actual plugin via the plugin manager =\

EDIT: Actually, better question:
    SvE9F.png

Wut. (The actual FBX file seems fine when previewed in Maya or the official FBX Viewer, export was done with the StoogeExport 2011 x64 plugin in maya 2011 x64)
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, any way to enable double sided textures in toolbag?
  • sonictk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, any way to enable double sided textures in toolbag?

In my screenshot you can see the option for backface culling :D
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Bit of a non issue but I'll mention it anyway as a bug whilst I remember. I started on version 1.06 and after a few screenshots where it toggled on/off as expected, no matter what I do with the option, the marmoset logo is never rendered on my images. Still doesn't work after the 1.07 update.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    That's strange, works fine for me (1.07 from 1.06).

edit: Now it's not working for me either. Strange. Works on videos, not screenshots.
  • archangelclover
    Just started using Marmoset Toolbag a couple hours ago, and I must say that I am very impressed. However, is there a way to import cameras from other software (i.e. 3DS Max) into Marmoset? I'm having issues replicating the exact same view that I have within Max manually, and would find it much simpler if I could import that data into Marmoset.
  • beaver_knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beaver_knight polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys. Sorry for my english, i use google translate. I recently began using Marmoset toolbag, and I have a question about specular maps. How to create a specular map? I finished work on the textures of the character, and wanted to begin reflection map, but it was harder than I thought. How should I use an alpha channel, and how to choose the color of the reflection? :c
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    i've got a weird issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have a full character, and the character is wearing a helmet with a glass visor. the face shows up fine behind the glass visor, however at most angles the eyeballs don't show up. if i tumble around the model the eyes will show up at different angles, but from a front on view, the eyes aren't there. as i get around to the side view, oddly, the face then disappears and the eyes show up. the glass has an alpha on it, which may be the cause because if i export the mesh without the glass visor, the eyeballs show up just fine. did i miss something in the material setting to get this to work right? anyone else seen this?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started using Marmoset Toolbag a couple hours ago, and I must say that I am very impressed. However, is there a way to import cameras from other software (i.e. 3DS Max) into Marmoset? I'm having issues replicating the exact same view that I have within Max manually, and would find it much simpler if I could import that data into Marmoset.

There isn't currently any way to import camera data from other apps.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. Sorry for my english, i use google translate. I recently began using Marmoset toolbag, and I have a question about specular maps. How to create a specular map? I finished work on the textures of the character, and wanted to begin reflection map, but it was harder than I thought. How should I use an alpha channel, and how to choose the color of the reflection? :c

The specular map controls the strength(how bright the reflection is) and color. The alpha channel controls the glossiness(black = matte, white = glossy). Set the specular sharpness to max if you're using a gloss map in your alpha.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    i've got a weird issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have a full character, and the character is wearing a helmet with a glass visor. the face shows up fine behind the glass visor, however at most angles the eyeballs don't show up. if i tumble around the model the eyes will show up at different angles, but from a front on view, the eyes aren't there. as i get around to the side view, oddly, the face then disappears and the eyes show up. the glass has an alpha on it, which may be the cause because if i export the mesh without the glass visor, the eyeballs show up just fine. did i miss something in the material setting to get this to work right? anyone else seen this?

This is most likely an alpha sorting issue. Are your eyes a separate mesh chunk?

You may be able to fix this by editing the glass chunk before you export (this was the case with Maya stooge exporter at least), the most recently edited chunk was exported last. Try simply renaming the glass bit to something else and reexporting.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is most likely an alpha sorting issue. Are your eyes a separate mesh chunk?

You may be able to fix this by editing the glass chunk before you export (this was the case with Maya stooge exporter at least), the most recently edited chunk was exported last. Try simply renaming the glass bit to something else and reexporting.

the eyes are a separate mesh chunk. the entire character is made up of 12 meshes. i tried renaming the glass visor with no luck.. i have another similar character where this isn't an issue at all though so I'm not really sure what is going on
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    the eyes are a separate mesh chunk. the entire character is made up of 12 meshes. i tried renaming the glass visor with no luck.. i have another similar character where this isn't an issue at all though so I'm not really sure what is going on

Yeah this sounds like typical alpha sorting issues then.

Try merging all of the other meshes into one chunk.

Try renaming the visor so it is alphabetically first and last to see if that affects the sort order.

Try using alpha2coverage
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15

Give a good read on this material, is gold.

http://www.manufato.com/?p=902
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this sounds like typical alpha sorting issues then.

Try merging all of the other meshes into one chunk.

Try renaming the visor so it is alphabetically first and last to see if that affects the sort order.

Try using alpha2coverage

i got it fixed, i had to move the head and eyes a bit further back in the helmet so they weren't so close to the glass visor.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Is there a good preset or any way for viewing hand painted characters inside Marmo? I mean without shadows, just 100% flat lighting to see your diffuse color on the model. Cheers :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Torch wrote: »
    Is there a good preset or any way for viewing hand painted characters inside Marmo? I mean without shadows, just 100% flat lighting to see your diffuse color on the model. Cheers :)
    Render panel> View> Diffuse Channel. :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Render panel> View> Diffuse Channel. :)
    It doesn't work, the shadows are still here. The only way I found is to use the emissive slot to put the diffuse and set the lighting to "black".
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Froyok wrote: »
    It doesn't work, the shadows are still here. The only way I found is to use the emissive slot to put the diffuse and set the lighting to "black".

What about going into Material tab, and chosing "FlatEnvironment" under Chanel Model?

And after that, going into Light tab and unchecking "Render Lights"?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    JR wrote: »
    What about going into Material tab, and chosing "FlatEnvironment" under Chanel Model?
    Hooo, good catch ! I never thought about it. :)
    And after that, going into Light tab and unchecking "Render Lights"?
    This checkbox is only for the custom dynamic lights, it doesn't affect the skies.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »

Disable shadows in the render tab, "Shadows" check box right at top. "set render.shadows 0" (without quotes) from the console (~ key) will also do it.

Then load the flat environment in channel mode for no lighting
  • kungfoolai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kungfoolai polycounter lvl 7
    Anyone know how to fix this?

I have alpha map hair applied to my character.
    Its fine in the viewport, but when i take a screenshot i get the results as seen below =(

I've tried the differennt blend modes and thought that might have helped. But no luck.

screenshot15.jpg

Anyone know the fix?
    =)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Any idea on why would taking a screenshot in Marmoset give me these lighting artifacts?

error_screenshot_zpsf2740ab3.jpg

It shows up fine until I take a screenshot using Marmoset's Save Shot button. Could this be due to my graphics driver? It all worked fine just a few days ago and I didn't update my video card driver.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Really regret upgrading to windows 8 now. hope an update comes real soon for this!!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pale-Face wrote: »
    Really regret upgrading to windows 8 now. hope an update comes real soon for this!!

I lucky have 7 on the other drive but I want it on 8 so bad:(
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Adding lights does this for me now

JeiCB.jpg

Upgraded to a 7850 and they weren't working at all on 1.06, updated to 1.07 and now that happens ^
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

JeiCB.jpg

Upgraded to a 7850 and they weren't working at all on 1.06, updated to 1.07 and now that happens ^

It looks like it gave you the ability to see through walls, shouldn't that make you happy?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    What drivers are you using? I'm using the 12.11 beta on win7 with 1.07 / amd 7870. Nothing like this is happening for me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kungfoolai wrote: »
    Anyone know how to fix this?

I have alpha map hair applied to my character.
    Its fine in the viewport, but when i take a screenshot i get the results as seen below =(

I've tried the differennt blend modes and thought that might have helped. But no luck.

screenshot15.jpg

Anyone know the fix?
    =)

This should be fixed in the latest version. Try updating.

If you're running the latest version, what OS, what video card? Can you post an image of how it looks in the viewport(printscreen and paste into photoshop) as well?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

JeiCB.jpg

This is most likely an ATI driver issue. We've had a lot of issues with ATI cards, so the first thing you will need to do is make sure you've got the latest video drivers installed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any idea on why would taking a screenshot in Marmoset give me these lighting artifacts?

error_screenshot_zpsf2740ab3.jpg

It shows up fine until I take a screenshot using Marmoset's Save Shot button. Could this be due to my graphics driver? It all worked fine just a few days ago and I didn't update my video card driver.

This is a new one.

Which OS?
    Which video card?
    Do you have the latest video drivers installed?

Do you have any content in the alpha channel of your diffuse?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a new one.

Which OS?
    Which video card?
    Do you have the latest video drivers installed?

Do you have any content in the alpha channel of your diffuse?
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540M
    I have the latest video drivers

There's no diffuse applied. Just a normal map which does have an alpha channel.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540M
    I have the latest video drivers

There's no diffuse applied. Just a normal map which does have an alpha channel.

Apply a diffuse map, even a flat color diffuse map, when you have an empty diffuse channel it will grab a random texture from the VMEM, its a required map so you have to have something in it (this is something we could document better). In this case its probably grabbing something weird from the UI and throwing it in.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apply a diffuse map, even a flat color diffuse map, when you have an empty diffuse channel it will grab a random texture from the VMEM, its a required map so you have to have something in it (this is something we could document better). In this case its probably grabbing something weird from the UI and throwing it in.
    Wow, see, I never knew you had to apply a diffuse map even after going over the manual. But this worked like a charm! Thanks EarthQuake! :)
  • kungfoolai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kungfoolai polycounter lvl 7
    This should be fixed in the latest version. Try updating.

If you're running the latest version, what OS, what video card? Can you post an image of how it looks in the viewport(printscreen and paste into photoshop) as well?

Hey thanks for the reply,

I tried updating using the auto update when you boot up marmoset. Didn't work for some reason, but then went to the site and downloaded it there so am up to date now.

It seems to have fixed the problem, the update worked =)

Im running win7 and a gtx670m.

Looks great now, thanks =)

screenshot2-4.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Monophobe wrote: »
    Bit of a non issue but I'll mention it anyway as a bug whilst I remember. I started on version 1.06 and after a few screenshots where it toggled on/off as expected, no matter what I do with the option, the marmoset logo is never rendered on my images. Still doesn't work after the 1.07 update.
    Just a small update on this, I'm just outputting some stuff now and the toolbag logo still isn't displaying with 25x aa, but it did display when I added 4x enlargement to that 25x aa.