Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey hi, I am very new to rigging and stuff so this may not be a Marmoset issue at all, but I'm not sure.

I've weighted all the pieces of this mech in Maya 2013 and it seems to more or less work, as shown below:
    http://i.imgur.com/8D05eZ8.jpg

When I followed the instructions in the Marmoset Toolbag documentation to export in Marmoset's format with the skeleton and animation files, it seemed to mostly work, but when I opened it all up in Marmoset I found that the skeleton is moving correctly, but the meshes stay where they are:
    http://i.imgur.com/zIQBjhb.jpg

More strangely, the shadows on the meshes seem to be moving with the skeleton? I don't know what that's about. I'm sure I've missed a crucial step but I can't figure what it is.

UPDATE: Looks like I missed the bit about making sure "vertex skinning" was checked in the Marmoset material. Sorry!
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I'm sorry if its a silly question or if it has been answered before.
    Does Marmoset support vertex color?
  • reedweinstock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
    I was looking at the lighting tutorial setup and i was wondering what the settings should look like for the 3 point light setup (light colors, intensity, radius). Earth Quake your material tut was super helpful btw :)
  • TrickyFish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrickyFish null
    Hey everyone, I am not sure this has been addressed, but I had a question about lighting in marmoset. So when I upload my .obj onto marmoset with the default sky tool light, it looks fine, but when I start adding additional lights, I get this weird flickering on my model. I tried setting the materials to default as well, but it didn't help.

Here is an example: NAsv19D.jpg
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    I'm having a new problem with this model in marmoset.
    As you can see in the attachments if I add lights in the scene I can see the border edges of the eyes and other parts that are inside or behind. This does not show up if I use only the sky lights.
    It's not a problem about the alpha channel or the backface culling from what I know...
    How can I fix it?
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Dantert wrote: »
    I'm having a new problem with this model in marmoset.
    As you can see in the attachments if I add lights in the scene I can see the border edges of the eyes and other parts that are inside or behind. This does not show up if I use only the sky lights.
    It's not a problem about the alpha channel or the backface culling from what I know...
    How can I fix it?

I had this problem when using marmoset with an ati (amd) video card. Seems like marmoset support Nvidia way better, I used to have those artifact when using dynamic light (not the skybox) and some problem with texture looking low rez, all those problems are gone since i'm back to Nvidia
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits wrote: »
    I had this problem when using marmoset with an ati (amd) video card. Seems like marmoset support Nvidia way better, I used to have those artifact when using dynamic light (not the skybox) and some problem with texture looking low rez, all those problems are gone since i'm back to Nvidia

Yeah but I have an Nvidia GT 635M T . T
    Thanks for the relpy anyway
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Yeah but I have an Nvidia GT 635M T . T
    Thanks for the relpy anyway
    Back in the days marmoset told me it was a known issue when using the sharpen option wiht multisampling, maybe you could take a look at that?
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits wrote: »
    Back in the days marmoset told me it was a known issue when using the sharpen option wiht multisampling, maybe you could take a look at that?

Thank you a lot!
    This evening I had time to test some more this problem, it turned out that if I have open only one other program on my pc, other than marmoset, this problem shows up...my bad, I always listen to music while I'm working and I didn't thought about turning it off...XD really a stupid problem..

You made me think about that saying that it could be a problem of the video card. So thank you very much!!^^

*edit
    ...no wait...rechecked and tested again with other models and the problem is still there even without other programs open...
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Hey all, I'm having a weird problem which occurred before but this time I can't find the source of it.

Basically my model has this weird seam on it, where the UV seam is.
    The weird thing is that the seam is there when I have absolutely no normal map applied.
    It's also there when I'm applying a tangent space normal map (which renders find using maya dx11 shaders).
    The only way Marmoset displays it well is if I'm using an object space normal map.

Here's an image:
    HpUdyox.jpg

Would love some sort of an explanation for this, I'm totally O_O on it.
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sure this is very simple, but does anyone know what's happening to this mesh I imported. The cone was fine previously, and then I beveled the four corners and it imports like this. Not sure what went wrong, is it a welded UVs issue?

hLNtZJi.jpg?1
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Scrap that, I'm just being stupid, I fixed the geometry that had more than 4 sides and it's fine.
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to import the marmoset materials in UDK? maybe with a plugin?
    It would be really cool!
  • dek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dek
    I have a problem with marmoset. It does simply not want to load some meshes. Exporting them to FBX or OBJ does not fix it. They are completely UV mapped and have only one UV map. I also did stuff like Clean up Mesh in Maya Triangularization etc.
    But when I import the meshes, nothing happens, nothing shows up. triangle count: "0".
    It happens to only some of my meshes and I wonder what the problem could be.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Is there a way to import the marmoset materials in UDK? maybe with a plugin?
    It would be really cool!

There is in Unity. It's called Skyshop.

In UDK, there's this shader by almighty_gir which works similarly to Marmoset's shaders, but isn't developed by the folks who make Marmoset, and isn't based off of their shader model. It's physically based, and has cubemap reflections which are controlled by gloss, and all that, and it rocks:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124934&highlight=UDK+physically
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    There is in Unity. It's called Skyshop.

In UDK, there's this shader by almighty_gir which works similarly to Marmoset's shaders, but isn't developed by the folks who make Marmoset, and isn't based off of their shader model. It's physically based, and has cubemap reflections which are controlled by gloss, and all that, and it rocks:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124934&highlight=UDK+physically

Thanks I'll check it out!
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaand I'm back with the same problem...I thought I've fixed the problem but I was wrong....
    I'm using marmoset toolbag 1.1 on my new pc and I can see some strange issues.
    As you can see in the new image attached, there are some strange outline artifact when two mesh are one on top of the other when I use one or more dinamic lights in the scene(spotlight or not)..I don't have this problem with the sky lighting presets.
    I've checked my graphic card drivers and are up to date, I've disabled the sharpen effect but it's not that, I've tried everything but nothing seems to work...scaled the mesh, changed render settings, specular on/off...I really don't know why this is happening.
    The problem shows up in the viewport and in the render even if I change the Enlargement and Supersampling on the output.
    My graphic card is a Nvidia Geforce GT 635M, I have 8gb memory and an Intel Core i7-3632QM CPU 2,20GHz.

Can you help me please? I really like Marmoset toolbag but this problem is too much frustrating...
    Thanks
  • warg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys can anyone help me with this issue?
    helpabro.jpg

Uvs are intact as I can display my textures on the mesh, it looks fine inside max apart from bake errors. I have tried to welded verts up, flip faces but to no avail, any ideas?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warg wrote: »
    helpabro.jpg

Uvs are intact as I can display my textures on the mesh, it looks fine inside max apart from bake errors. I have tried to welded verts up, flip faces but to no avail, any ideas?

This is probably an issue with mesh normals. Make sure to check your export settings and be sure that "export mesh normals" is on. "export smoothing groups" will not be recognized by Toolbag as far as I know.

Also, if you're using the latest version of max and FBX, try OBJ instead, I know some people have had issues with the latest FBX exporter.

And try to toggle the compression options for obj export as well if all else fails.
  • reedweinstock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am having some problems with the gloss map. I was working on my project everything was going great until today. When i save out my spec map at 32bit it doesnt take the gloss alpha channel. when i save it as 16 bit its shows up as 100 percent all over. I even tried just puting big black spot just to see if would change anything but its not. How do you guys save your gloss map out? I am using vtools. Ive even tried manually saving them out individually but that's not working either.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am having some problems with the gloss map. I was working on my project everything was going great until today. When i save out my spec map at 32bit it doesnt take the gloss alpha channel. when i save it as 16 bit its shows up as 100 percent all over. I even tried just puting big black spot just to see if would change anything but its not. How do you guys save your gloss map out? I am using vtools. Ive even tried manually saving them out individually but that's not working either.

What file format?

Have you verified the alpha is saving correctly by opening up the resulting image in photoshop?

Make sure to set specular sharpness to max if you're loading a gloss map, so it controls the full range.
  • reedweinstock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i had it set to 1.5 and 256. I was using your tut. Its been very helpful :). I fixed it all i had to do was load an older psd and copy the layers into it and now it works just fine.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    8wEjtkv.png

My specular map is just a plane white .tga? Any idea as to what's happening here? I tried applying any variety of gloss maps, but to no avail.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    //wrong thread//
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    warg wrote: »
    helpabro.jpg

I was experiencing the same issue when exporting as fbx 2014 format. Exporting as an earlier format fixed it for me.

I recently bought a handplane license and was wondering if there are optimal fbx export settings to use along with which handplane "target engine" settings? I am currently using source since I'm making some source assets but was wondering if there is something better for rendering the assets in toolbag. Thanks!
  • GetAwesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GetAwesome polycounter lvl 14
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    I was experiencing the same issue when exporting as fbx 2014 format. Exporting as an earlier format fixed it for me.

This is correct. We have verified that Autodesk changed some things with the FBX 2014 SDK that causes horrible breakage of normals for Toolbag's FBX file loader. For now you will need to use a version 2013 or earlier of the FBX exporter.

Moving forward the FBX 2014 issues are already resolved for the upcoming Toolbag v2 release, but no official word yet if/when a patch may come to v1 to resolve the FBX 2014 bugs.
  • marcosis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, starting t wrap up a small piece of work and thought ti was about time i investigated an issue with marmoset that i have hard for a while now in which UV seams show as dark black.

i stuck a couple of quick screen shots below, you can pretty clearly see these black lines along the seams on the mesh where the UV seams meet.

now it doesn't seem like its the UV map itself, i have checked it and there are no dark gaps where the seams the meet (granted some of the texturing doesn't align perfectly, but that's not the issue).

i have also noticed the black lines get worse the more zoomed out they are.

so yer, has anyone else encountered this before?

cheers

(click thumbnail for full size pic.)

th_glad1_zpsd460cab7.jpg

th_glad2_zps30ae588a.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Never mind! I have fixed it! All you have to do is basically press the "R" button. It is between the "C" and the "P" when you load your maps.

Hi, having the same problem as some previous people. My textures are washed out... I fixed it for a moment. Making them into TGAs and now it doesn't work.

My original texture:
    P8rRZv8.png

What it looks like in Marmo and on the mesh (p.s. i forgot to put a wooden side for the wood window, ehehe)

Qmy2nEA.png
    zgtrS0h.png
  • Bezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marcosis looks like you don't have enough bleed around seams
    Is the background of your texture black?
    Seams get worse because of mip maps
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    question for the old school marmoset version -

haven't done this in a loooong time but remember having it working at some point: how to deal with the AVI video format that marmoset's capture function spits out?

all my video stuff is done on a mac and most of the software rejects the output file format outright, only mplayer plays it back - in vertically inverted fashion.

i just need to convert it into a frame sequence somehow. any freeware tool that's known to be able to deal with it? would prefer not to install random stuff - especially not on the PC. ;)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    followup: solved by recording a scaled-down marmoset window. rendering at or below 1080 pixels vertically seems to fix the issue and the resulting output can be imported into the usual suspects.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I still do not get why we can no longer buy number one :(
    Instead 2 is forced upon us and a much more costly price which means I cannot buy it :(
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    not giving up on this oldie just yet :D

i seem to have a problem getting a flawless output from the anisotropic shader. my color-, normal- and specmaps line up fine. my vertexnormals are matched and look equally fine when i apply the default.mat to my mesh. tangentbasis also reveals no problems.

however, as soon as i apply the anisotropic shader, i get weird triangulation in places as if the vertex normals were incorrect. playing with the anisotropic direction does not fix the issue either.
    you can check the model out under http://thomaspecht.de/test/turntables_index.html the lower image (wait for the sequence to load and then scrub left/right with the mouse).

input appreciated.
  • Artaekos_inactive
    Everything was going great until Marmoset 1.10 tore my rig and animation to pieces.

I spent 2 days following this tutorial to rig my creature in Maya

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1371-Rigging-Quadrupeds-in-Maya

He uses some kind of "flexi" rig system that relies on nurbs deformation and even a bit of n-hair I believe.

It's not like the conventional solely bone and IK based rigging we're taught in school, it feels a bit "extra", and I'm not sure that this tutorial is quite video game friendly. Here's the rig I've set up in Maya...

Whno87b.jpg
    Nb007bn.jpg

Now the animation and everything plays fine in Maya. I created everything in Maya 2014, but I had to "export all" as FBX to Maya 2013 so that I could export this to Marmoset, because Marmoset 1.10 Stooge exported plugin doesn't support Maya 2014. After exporting the scene as .FBX from Maya 2014 to 2013, the animation, rig, and mesh still all behave accordingly. My idle cycle plays fine, and is seemingly ready for export for marmoset. But when I export to Marmoset using stooge, the flexi joint part of my rig that controls the neck and torso part of my creature doesn't seem to be aligned with my Mesh in Marmoset... causing major deformation in those areas when the animation plays..

xUmVOo7.jpg

EmkjGsC.jpg

This really sucks because If I can't get this rig that I'm using into Marmoset properly for animation, I will be forced to either have a static mesh pose in Marmoset with no animation, or seek an alternative real-time render method so I can still have my creature animated.

Is anyone familiar with the issue I'm having? I exported using Stooge from frame 1 of my idle cycle in Maya, so I know that's not the issue with the misalignment. Something tells me this flexi rig courtesy of Digital Tutors is NOT marmoset compatible, which is really going to mess me up...
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    2 quick questions :
    -The cast shadow property on objects is broken or is this just me ? No matter if I turn it on or off, my hair seems to cast shadows anyway.
    -Is the quick ground and the reference scale character gone for good ?

Thanks !
  • Laku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I'm using the skin shader in toolbag 2. Like suggested in the tutorial video, I use black in areas where I don't want subdermis scatter, however normal smoothing still effects the areas painted black. Is there another way to have separate normal smoothing values other than a separate material / mesh piece? Thanks for the help!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, put black in the alpha channel for those areas too (white everywhere else_, we added a feature that uses alpha to mask the shadow blur and normal smoothing functions.
  • Laku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message