Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right :P
    I simply meant that if the UVs were 1:2 you couldn't use a 1:1 texture without stretching :)

Except uvs are always 1:1. Uvs are saved in 0-1 vector space, while textures are made up of rigid square pixels, thus the texture defines ratio, not uvs.

Not to be a dick, I know/understand exactly what you're trying to say, but the way you're saying it isn't really correct and may be confusing.

Even if you set up max/maya to use a 1:2 or 1:4 uvs, the app is simply scaling it to fit the 0-1 uv space. This isn't what the user sees, but that is what is going on behind the scenes.

The OP's confusion comes from the fact that he's "setting" the uvs to a certain aspect ratio, and thinks he needs to "set" it to the right ratio in Marmoset, but there is no hard "ratio" for uvs.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Except uvs are always 1:1. Uvs are saved in 0-1 vector space, while textures are made up of rigid square pixels, thus the texture defines ratio, not uvs.

Not to be a dick, I know/understand exactly what you're trying to say, but the way you're saying it isn't really correct and may be confusing.

Even if you set up max/maya to use a 1:2 or 1:4 uvs, the app is simply scaling it to fit the 0-1 uv space. This isn't what the user sees, but that is what is going on behind the scenes.

That's a fair point. Thanks for the clarification, EQ. :)
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    I suppose attaching some screenshots would have probably helped. :poly124:

Okay so here are my UVs as seen in Maya:
    th_UVS.jpg

+texture (base color and baked AO):
    th_UVS2.jpg

In Unreal:
    th_UVUnreal.jpg

In Marmoset however the texture does not apply correctly since it is non-square but wants to stretch to fit into a square, but there does not appear to be a setting for adjusting U/V tiling:
    th_UVMarm.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scale your UVs down 50% so it fits within the 0-1 range, that will fix your problem.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    They're already in the 0-1 range, just the upper half of the 0-1 range.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stretch 200% to fill the 0-1 range then
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, Is it possible to create glass with marmoset. What I want is a completely transparent material but you can still see the specular highlights and or reflections. I'm trying some stuff out with real time eye balls. I'm trying to create a two layer eye ball model where so it is more anatomically correct.

I have an inner eye that I want to have a curtain spec, and it has the recessed iris. Then want to create a slightly thicker shell with a bulged Cornea that has the transparent material on it, to create more depth.

Second question, is creating a refracting Cornea a possibility as well.

Come on Marmoset! Come through for me, I don't want to have to use UDK for this one, cuz i know it works, but marmoset makes such sexy renders.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The ComplexRefraction shader is designed for things like glass.
    You can have totally different material settings for each chunk, so in theory, you could have quite a few different layers of refraction.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome! Thank you, I'll have to play with it today.
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys,

Recently encountered an issue. I'm rendering out HDR images in Marmoset. But when I try to convert them to 16 bit images in Photoshop, PS crashes. Seems there's something in the file PS doesn't like. Even when I save it as a .psd or .tiff, it crashes PS when converting. This workflow has worked fine for me in the past. Any ideas or suggestions?
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    I'm encountering an issue where Marmoset doesn't always detect and update the mesh. Is there a way to manually re-import the mesh ,without having to re-apply materials etc? Force reload?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    You can save the current "scene" with marmoset, when it's done, simply reload the scene (which keep the materials applied).
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

When I import an .obj that I exported from 3ds Max into Marmoset, it looks like this - like a messed up purple wireframe. The model is of a metronome, and looks fine in Max. I've had this same problem with other models.

I exported it from Max with the gw OBJ exporter, using these settings.

Applying a material, in Marmoset, doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? I'm assuming the problem has to do with exporting or importing.

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few questions,does the mesh absolutely HAVE to be triangulated before importing into Marmoset?

And should the mesh be UVed and unwrap before importing as well?

Thanks in advance!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    -Joe- wrote: »
    A few questions,does the mesh absolutely HAVE to be triangulated before importing into Marmoset?

And should the mesh be UVed and unwrap before importing as well?

Thanks in advance!

1. No, but its often a good idea.
    2. Yes, I can't think of a situation where you wouldn't unwrap an object before importing into Marmoset.
    :)
  • mindrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mindrot polycounter lvl 7
    I've seen this asked a few times but from what I can tell no one has replied (sorry if I missed the answer). I've just downloaded the 1.05 trial version. The alpha on my character (hair) works in the viewport but not when I save out a screenshot. I remember this happened way back in version 1.02 and it was said that it was fixed for the next release 1.03 I think.

Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had exactly this problem yesterday dude. You will have to show us what you're working on :)
  • jag heter jan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jag heter jan polycounter lvl 5
    In my case, fiddling with the Alpha Threshold solved the issue. Took a good few tries to find the correct value tho.
  • mindrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount: It's something old that I have to finish before moving on ;)

jag heter jan: Cheers, I'll look into that later tonight.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Is there any news or post detailing what new features or planned features will be in the next and or future marmoset toolbag releases?

I love what it can do, the simplicity at which it can work...but i feel that its more geared towards character/weapon/single asset turntables and nothing else. Say for example...an environment artist would probably appreciate a mode in which the camera can fly through a hallway or really sell a smaller highly detailed scene. Particle emitters seem like a must as well, even if its just limited to a few basic functions in which sprites can be loaded into.

In short, I am just curious to see how/where the developer(s) want to push Marmoset. Its still worth buying in its current form though, just for the ease of use.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    If could ask something, I would like to see someday the support of multi-material per object.
  • mindrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my case, fiddling with the Alpha Threshold solved the issue. Took a good few tries to find the correct value tho.

Thanks. That seems to work, though it doesn't look quite as good as it does in the viewport.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok dude :)
    What would be great would be to have targets for the spotlights :)
  • Timbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a copy and its well worth the money it could just really do with max biped support or cat it might support them now as its been a while since i used it and i haven't got the update yet
  • mindrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A long shot, but is there geo on the inside of the hat?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Finally got Marmoset Toolbag on OsX figured out (and documented this time). Thanks to thomasp for the additional help on this.

http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=959
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    OMG Jeffro, your my hero i didn't know that. i am gonna try it out right away.
    hmm did you also test it with xnormal maybe that would make it solid

Thanks
    Edoit: confirmed. it works although i have some render issues. but i think it has to do with my video card
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys.. any updates coming up? It'd be kick ass to be able to load up gloss maps, height and so forth in separate slots instead of as alphas.. would make marmoset much nicer for quick work iterations!
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, I just bought marmoset toolbag and when I try to enter the key I get an "The name/key you entered does not appear to be valid. Please try again." error. The name and key are absolutely correct and the hardware fingerprint is the same. Anyone ever had this problem? is this some sort of know issue or something?
    cheers.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    MALicivs wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just bought marmoset toolbag and when I try to enter the key I get an "The name/key you entered does not appear to be valid. Please try again." error. The name and key are absolutely correct and the hardware fingerprint is the same. Anyone ever had this problem? is this some sort of know issue or something?
    cheers.
    I would email 8ml support for sure. I have never had that problem, so I don't know what to advise really.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would email 8ml support for sure. I have never had that problem, so I don't know what to advise really.

cheers. I already did that, but I was kind of in a hurry to get a solution, and even though I only sent the e-mail yesterday, I'm getting kind of restless about it. :\

I'm sure they'll solve this without any problems when they see my e-mail, but the feeling of buying something and not being able to use it because of an unexpected issue is the worst. :\
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    MALicivs wrote: »
    cheers. I already did that, but I was kind of in a hurry to get a solution, and even though I only sent the e-mail yesterday, I'm getting kind of restless about it. :\

I'm sure they'll solve this without any problems when they see my e-mail, but the feeling of buying something and not being able to use it because of an unexpected issue is the worst. :\
    Yea, I know what you mean. Hopefully the 8ml guys will fix it fast...they are normally super helpful with this sort of thing :)
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved. they sent me a new key. Apparently there's some issues with the online key generator when processing weird characters, damn me and my weird name, all this because of a ´
    :P
    Anyway, they're cool and they solved my issue. :)
  • jonh565
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Im trying to export an animation from Maya via the stooge plugin. Everything works fine aside from the animation frame length seems to have no connection to my start/stop time, it's either too long or too short giving me a nice jump in the animation loop. I've tried scaling the animation length in Maya to try and get a new result but it seems no matter what I do the animation either cuts off to soon or late.

Any suggestions?
    Cheers.
  • Sojumekju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sojumekju polycounter lvl 5
    E2niK.jpgHey guys, I ran into a problem. I duplicated some armor pieces in maya, this was after i unwrapped and normal mapped. The duplicate pieces now appear to have inverted normals in marmoset, although as far as i can see, they are correct in maya. Does anyone know what is going on and how i can fix this?

EDIT: SOLVED. After some thinking and experimenting, i have resolved this issue. Duplicate in maya works as promised, however i was using duplicate special and scaling it on the X-axis by -1. I suppose normals arent changed in this process therefore they get turned inside out on a plane. This time i will just duplicate normal and rotate it into position manually. Next time i will do it properly from the start, this being my first model attempt.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I seem to be having a problem, I import two different meshes(as they have there own unwrap for each) but when I open it up in Marmoset under the chunks menu it is only displaying one so I cant have a separate material for both parts. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Solved, somehow Materials got turned off on the exporter for Maya.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting a problem with just one Light/Enviro preset, unfortunate it's one I want to use. Pavement!

pave_artifact.jpg

Turning off "Front faces cast shadow" does remedy it but not really a solution. Shows this striation on untextured mesh too.

Any ideas?

Edit: Not just one after all, a number of them depending on rotational position.
  • sonictk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I'm having a problem where I'm trying to render an animation in marmoset.

The original mesh and animation were done in 3ds max. I exported the mesh and bones to Maya using FBX, and used the Stooge Export plugin as directed to get the 3 files (.mesh. .anim and .skel) that could be imported into Marmoset.

However, while I can import my mesh fine, importing the skeleton crashes Marmoset. I've tried looking around for anyone who has this issue, and the only result on Google I could find talked about making sure that the bones didn't have any funny characters in them. My naming convention is pretty standard (finger_mid_eff) is an example, so I doubt that's the issue here.

Would anyone be able to help assist with this issue?
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Apologies if this question was asked earlier in the thread, but how do I keep the stooge exporter from messing with my normals during the export? I'm using Maya 2011, and I have all my hard/soft edges properly set, but when I export with stooge it seems to randomly harden certain edges. Thanks in advance!

- Jordan
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Apologies if this question was asked earlier in the thread, but how do I keep the stooge exporter from messing with my normals during the export? I'm using Maya 2011, and I have all my hard/soft edges properly set, but when I export with stooge it seems to randomly harden certain edges. Thanks in advance!

i've not used maya in a long time but couldn't you lock your normals in that package?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    hey guys.. is there any way to have the automatically generated alpha channel in tga files include all chunks? for me, it seems to only mask the last chunk in the list.

the grey background is easy enough to select and delete in photoshop, but it might pose problems somewhere down the line.

also, please grant us users separate texture slots for gloss maps and alphas - my photoshop action editing skills have hit a brick wall trying to automatically copy my newly generated gloss maps into the specular map, and this severely limits marmosets usefulness as a quick preview tool, unfortunately..

(your workflows might be different, i save out various maps from a single psd file with qSave using actions)
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    @thomasp Locking the normals doesnt seem to help, the exporter still messes with them.
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if there was a quick way to select multiple "chunks" from the Chunks/Materials list at one time. It's a pain to have to go through object by object first selecting the chunk, then the material, then applying. It would be cool if I could shift+click within the list and also not have the material get deselected each time I apply it.
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two more small questions. First, I noticed that there are shaded lines where the edges of the geo meet up. This is especially prevalent when I spin the light source around the model. I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of this. Second, I get really bad texture popping where a texture from one object will pass to another object when I am rotating the camera around the model (almost looks like z-fighting). Is there a way to stop this? Sorry if these have been answered but I didn't see anything on this.
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12
    I have a question regarding exporting models from within modo to Marmoset.
    I can't seem to get any mesh I export to work. My model always just displays in its netral stance. No matter if I export it as OBJ or FBX or whether it's posed or not. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    @thomasp Locking the normals doesnt seem to help, the exporter still messes with them.

dang, well in that case you could export via FBX or even OBJ and if things still fail, as a last resort consider smoothing the normals and breaking up the mesh wherever you want a hard crease.

i found (when exporting from max) that triangulating the whole mesh and using FBX with some option to keep any edited normals (not at the relevant machine right now, sorry) worked every time whereas exporting as quads or using a different file format often introducted errors.

biggest gripe with marmoset here is the lack of an merge/remove mesh chunk option. re-exporting/re-importing the entire scene for every single little vertex change - really?
  • leoartz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leoartz polycounter lvl 11
    Hello,

Iam currently having problem with my alpha planes. This seems to me like its the Alpha Sorting Issue. However It displays fine inside Marmoset viewport with Alpha to Coverage turned on but Doesnt work when i take a screenshot ( Render )

Here are few images to explain further

rw6DF.jpg

dFmmu.jpg

t would be great if anyone could help. Thank you

Girish
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olivierth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi!

This might be late and maybe somebody's come up with the same answer but anyways...

On page 11 of this thread there are talks about how to generate a anisotropic direction map and I found a way.

First off, I've created some hair with the hair&fur plugin from 3dsmax. I set the renderer to VRAY and set the hairs to render as "geometry" instead of "buffer".

Here's the trick, you have to animate the "Cut length" in the "general parameters" of the hair&fur modifier so the hair grows over time. Once you've done that, you go in "render element" and add "VrayVelocity".

Basically, the anisotropic direction map has the green and red channel just like a velocity map. Since you're growing the hair, the velocity map created will end up being EXACTLY the aniso. direction map you need.

The only thing left is flipping the green channel and voil
  • ageless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a wonderful tool.

Currently i just wanted to ask is there way in marmoset toolbag to import more than one Uv channel.I am making this asset and it's diffuse and spec use one Uv channel and Normal Map uses another UV channel.So please can anyone tell me how i can go about fixing this issue?

In UDK, if i exported my mesh in FBX format from Maya and imported there.Everything just worked fine but here i can't seem to figure out.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Once again this is a great tool for presenting assets.I have used UDK earlier but it's way too cubersome and doesn't give awesome results.