Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    I have no more issues now with toolbag since the latest update. Thx!

:D
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Not sure if anyone saw this in the latest update email from the Marmoset guys, but there's a pretty handy tut on alpha blending included:

http://www.8monkeylabs.com/toolbag/learn/blending
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This might just spawn a series of hate posts. But has any been able to get the Toolbag working with VMWare Fusion?

I installed VMWare Fusion on my Mac and have 1.05 Toolbag on my Bootcamp Windows 7 partition. Everytime I load up Toolbag when VMWare Fusion is running it loads but the button text area is missing on all buttons and the meshes will not load.

I get the easy answer. Just boot over to the Windows side and run it on there. I do everything else on the Mac side. I was just trying to sort out a way to get it running with VMWare Fusion. I tried Parallels and that was worse.

Thanks for any help or places to point me to. Google doesn't have a ton of help with this specific problem.
  • free-willy_PB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Had marmoset since 1.02, always worked well, just updated to the latest version, now when i save out a screengrab my mesh is all watermarked.

I have a full license, and marmoset confirms that when i go into the license info.

any ideas, since this is annoying :)
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a quick question too.

In the latest update when I create a light source, nothing is lit. (If that makes sense)

In the 1.04 version it created the light instantly and I could see the effect straight away. ATM in 1.05 nothing happens when the light is created.

Has this feature changed between versions?

Thanks. :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Just wanted to say I enjoyed toolbag at school and just picked it up for home use :) Thanks again!!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hi,
    Had marmoset since 1.02, always worked well, just updated to the latest version, now when i save out a screengrab my mesh is all watermarked.

I have a full license, and marmoset confirms that when i go into the license info.

any ideas, since this is annoying :)

In the output panel, do you have both he watermark options unchecked? Or is it another sort of watermark?
  • free-willy_PB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah sorry, was meant to add reply sooner,..all sorted,..in the older versions of marmoset it loaded up with a flat grey normal map and a flat grey colour map, 1.05 has the flat grey normal map but nothing in the colour map.
    the watermarks were appearing on the mesh, guessing because a missing colour map material.
    took me ages to realise that!!ha
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I get a big seam in the middle of my mesh when I zoom out (UVs are mirrored, baked with them offset), but when I export a screenshot there is no seam. Is this a driver issue?
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running a 1.05 trial with an ATI Radeon 4800 series card, and the latest (11.11) driver. I've tried rolling it back to previous releases and, in all cases, toolbag doesn't display models correctly. I'll take the exact scene/textures from an Nvidia machine at work and throw them into marmoset here, and everything looks broken. It's difficult to explain, but it's like looking at something with a very broken normal map and no lighting. Ultimately I'm sure it's some incompatibility with ATI... has anyone with similar specs found some success? I'd buy it for home if there was a fix.
  • Silvereon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys.

Been using this awesome tool for a while now. but have a few little things bugging me. I've tried searching for this for a couple of days but havent been able to get anything clear.

Is it my system or is the ambient occlusion not working? i've tried bumping the value to something ridiculous like 200 (and the amb occ is checked on the render tab) but this is what comes up: http://postimage.org/image/cusgn9hbp/
    heres the model in standard view: http://postimage.org/image/xsxm7levr/

also when i do f12 shot and i've used alpha-to-coverage, it doesnt show up on the rendered image (larged 3x and supersmapled 16x - i know, probably excessive) - that normal?
    Heres an f12 shot: http://postimage.org/image/7kikxia8r/
    and heres a screengrab: http://postimage.org/image/k0fmbz11l/

im on win 7 64bit and a gtx 480.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Amadreaus wrote: »
    I'm running a 1.05 trial with an ATI Radeon 4800 series card, and the latest (11.11) driver. I've tried rolling it back to previous releases and, in all cases, toolbag doesn't display models correctly. I'll take the exact scene/textures from an Nvidia machine at work and throw them into marmoset here, and everything looks broken. It's difficult to explain, but it's like looking at something with a very broken normal map and no lighting. Ultimately I'm sure it's some incompatibility with ATI... has anyone with similar specs found some success? I'd buy it for home if there was a fix.

Sounds something like what I experienced on my ATI a while back on an earlier release. Whenever I loaded a model in it displayed the model "wrong." It looked like a messed up normal map just as you said. And when I applied my normal map to my model it worked... I couldn't tell which was was left and right or up and down. So when I rotated the sky it sorta looked like a disco thing going on... lol

I think this is similar to what you are experiencing and what fixed it for me was flipping the red and blue channel in the view tab.

Here is what I was getting...
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1306473&postcount=375

Here is what metalandy got with my model when I sent it to him.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1306690&postcount=376

Looking back now I bet it was a hardware issue... I had all the latest drivers at the time and I wan't to say I was on release 1.01? In any case I am on 1.02 and I haven't had problems since the upgrade. ( Yeah I know! I am upgrading right now to 1.05! >.< )

And upload a picture plz <3 if it is hard to explain it might be easier if we saw.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Why does Marmoset render the wire frame in triangles? Is there an option to render the wire frame in quads?
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jeremiah_bigley - Thanks for taking a look. I tried inverting channels in different combinations to no avail. Here's a side by side shot - the left image is at home (broken), the right is from work (correct). The textures are at a pretty different states, but it should be clear what it's doing. Both have the same light - just the 'sunlight' preset turned on and moved to the same angle.

marmtest.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    As someone asked earlier please add support to force mipmaps to stick to the original file rez. I'm trying to render a character and a couple of weapons she's holding and the textures aren't as sharp as they should be. I can see a difference when i use the texture preview to force it to show the original.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah sorry Amadreaus not sure then :/
    Tobbo wrote: »
    Why does Marmoset render the wire frame in triangles? Is there an option to render the wire frame in quads?

Only triangles exist in a poly world sir ;) A quad is actually 2 triangle as I am sure you are aware, and game engines only support triangles. To get a wire view in quads, setup a camera angle in your native 3d package that matches your view in marmoset and composite in photoshop. ;)
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No sweat, thanks for trying, anyway. Anyone else had similar issues? Considering that ATI makes up a large portion of the user base, one would think that there'd be ample support for things like this.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    It would be great if there was a "Set background color as default" or something like that. So you always can use the same BG-color.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sorry Amadreaus not sure then :/

Only triangles exist in a poly world sir ;) A quad is actually 2 triangle as I am sure you are aware, and game engines only support triangles. To get a wire view in quads, setup a camera angle in your native 3d package that matches your view in marmoset and composite in photoshop. ;)

A quick alternative is to render out your UVs and apply them as a diffuse texture in marmoset. I would recommend you make it pretty high resolution to get clean lines though. That's what I usually do. :)
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, quick question.

In the latest toolbag release, I cant seem to get the create lights tool to work when a Height map is applied to the model. I mean, the light is created, but doesnt react with the model at all. In the previous release it works fine.

Am I missing something!?

Thanks
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm now having the same problem. Custom Lights dont show on my model, just the skylight.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, Anybody know how to change your screenshot output? Currently its exporting pfm's which I've never even heard of.... Think it might be a font extension or something. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated! especially if you tell me how to output jpegs and tga's :)
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Anybody know how to change your screenshot output? Currently its exporting pfm's which I've never even heard of.... Think it might be a font extension or something. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated! especially if you tell me how to output jpegs and tga's :)

It's because your saving a high dynamic range shot. Disable the checkbox and you'll get .tga's coming out.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Daelus is correct. PFM is Marmosets HDR image format of choice (It stands for Portable floatmap)
    They will open is Photoshop just fine :)
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broken mesh import issues::

Hey guys, I am seriously having some major difficulty importing my mesh into marmoset w/o any vertex explosions. Any reason when exporting from max in any (3d package format) that the vertices go haywire?
    -
    marmoset_error.gif
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    ^ You export as .obj? What export settings do you use? Quads?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obj and quads as standard
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Export as fbx.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nvm, I found out adding uv's of some sort solves the issue. Seem like marmoset is co-dependent on meshes to have uv's already created. Otherwise it explodes your model like it threw it at a wall :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just FYI if anyone is looking into getting Marmoset Toolbag working on Macintosh OsX without installing Windows through bootcamp you can install CrossOver Games then install Marmoset Toolbag as a game. It runs awesomely actually. Just like being on Windows.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys - This seems extremely basic, but for the life of me I can't figure it out... I can take anything, a cube, a plane, any primitive in Maya. I export that out as .obj or .fbx for marmoset, and instantly in Marmoset, the UVs are approx 66% scaled up. The same mesh imports with correct UV scale into UDK, so it has to be something with the import INTO marmoset, or a marmoset setting. Has anyone run into this?

This has just started today. There aren't multiple UV sets, no history, transforms, anything. It's as basic and clean as it gets..
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: changing the source texture format to .tga fixed it. I've been using psd's with success on other projects, I guess this one time it just decided to hate it. ><
  • Senor Freebie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Access Violation on AMD again.

Note; haven't been able to get Marmoset to work for long enough to actually see maps on the model.

Have tried updating drivers. (8.911.0.0)

Have tried updating Marmoset. (Current version 1.05)

I do have a strange issue where Catalyst control centre always crashes, including on boot. Hasn't functioned I updated the drivers for the second time.

Crashes normally occur when loading maps immediately after loading model.
    Tried STL check, xform, edit mesh as FBX.

Specs:
    Win 7 Ult 64-bit
    Radeon 5870
    i7 950
    6gb ddr3
    etc.

/edit

Ignore that, got it working by not loading diffuse first. Started with normal map, then spec, then diffuse. Very odd.

/edit2

Ignore that again, used the same method on reloading it and ran into trouble again

/edit3

Was mesh properties in the end that was the problem. Did find another bug though; high res video output doesn't encode properly (~4096x1536), and therefore isn't recognised / decoded properly by most video editing software & doing a 360 shot on a node that is already turning outputs the same image for every shot, since the turns sync up.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amadreaus wrote: »
    update: changing the source texture format to .tga fixed it. I've been using psd's with success on other projects, I guess this one time it just decided to hate it. ><

i had a similar problem and found it best to stick with .tga if i remember correctly
  • berry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    berry polycounter lvl 12
    hi guys
    does any one know why my marmoset became like this ?
    it was working ok but suddenly i dont know why it became like this ... every thing is default i didnt change any options ... i just add a mesh and a light ... even when i add textures it has this problem :(:(:(

er529rykcfea90yp47dg.jpg
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Berry, do you have an ATI card, and if so, did you recently update video drivers for it?
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    I just wanted to say... I love Marmoset Toolbag! I downloaded the trial a week ago and couldn't even wait for the trial to expire.. I bought a single-user license last night. :)

Thank you for such a fantastic way to present my characters in real-time!!
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    Hey all, I'm working on a Toolbag skin shader tutorial and could use some cool art to showcase all its features, step by step. I'm tired of using old DoD assets and Strinko's forehead for promo material :P.

I put up a plea for good character models on the request board, check it out:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1483066#post1483066

angryhead.jpg
  • berry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    berry polycounter lvl 12
    CKohl wrote: »
    Berry, do you have an ATI card, and if so, did you recently update video drivers for it?
    exactly i Do have an ATI graphic card and i did update it recently for battlefield 3 ... :poly142:
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Having troubles with the 360 shot. Namely, it just.. takes a bunch of screenshots from one angle. Doesn't matter if I set it to mesh, sky, or camera, it just takes whatever number I select of screenshots from the one angle I'm at.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    berry wrote: »
    exactly i Do have an ATI graphic card and i did update it recently for battlefield 3 ... :poly142:

Well there's your problem. :poly124: ATI constantly breaks stuff when they push out driver updates.

Try downloading the most recent build of the toolbag, it should have a fix for the most recent ATI driver screwup I believe.

But, since this is such a common problem and will undoubtedly happen again in the future when ATI releases more buggy drivers, here is a guide everyone can follow that lets you override the drivers that the toolbag loads (works for Maya too; ATI screwed up the UV Texture Editor; had to use different driver version for the Maya fix though) by placing atidemgx.dll atio6axx.dll and atioglxx.dll directly in the Marmoset program directory.

Hope it's useful!

574KB 1024x3600:
    th_Marmoset-ATI-Workaround.jpg
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Cross post from my thread.

Could use some help with this. I'm trying to render with Marmo, but I have these weird black spots that show up everywhere. Here's the issue and my mat setup. There is a single pointlight in the scene. I would be particularly interested in hearing from EQ or Perna or whoever else is involved w/ 8Monkey. Thanks!

borked_01.jpg
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Got another issue.

When I take a shot, I get the following. If you do a levels adjustment on the image, you'll notice that it's not completely black, some information was saved. It also has the alpha channel perfectly intact with the silhouette of the character:

borked_03.jpg

If I take the shot in HDR, I get the following (reduced to 8bit/channel), but it doesn't have the alpha channel, so it's not super helpful for me.

borked_02.jpg

Is this issue perhaps related to Skinshader 2.0? I just started using it, and this has never happened to me before. Also, apologies if this has been answered previously in the thread, but I don't have the time to go through the whole thing.

Thanks!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Quickly scrolled through most of the pages but I couldnt find an anwser.

So I am importing an animation. I open my Mesh, Find Skeleton and Add Animation. Those all work nice and dandy. I can see my Mesh, I can see my Skeleton and I can see my Animation from the drop down and watch the Skeleton play the animation.

The problem is, its only the Skeleton that is playing the Animation. The Mesh is just chilling there, doing nothing. What would cause this issue?

Quick rundown of what I did for the animation. Created 2 blocks to make a Hinge. Created 3 joints/2bones. Parented the Mesh pieces to the points. Added an IK handle, Key Framed the IK handle at the 0,0,0 for the First and Last Keyframe, added a movement in the middle. Then exported.

Runs fine in maya and the animation runs fine in Marmoset, its just my Mesh isnt parented to my Skeleton anymore in Marmoset.

Thanks!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I don't know if this has been asked but will there be a Christmas discount by any chance?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Quickly scrolled through most of the pages but I couldnt find an anwser.

So I am importing an animation. I open my Mesh, Find Skeleton and Add Animation. Those all work nice and dandy. I can see my Mesh, I can see my Skeleton and I can see my Animation from the drop down and watch the Skeleton play the animation.

The problem is, its only the Skeleton that is playing the Animation. The Mesh is just chilling there, doing nothing. What would cause this issue?

Quick rundown of what I did for the animation. Created 2 blocks to make a Hinge. Created 3 joints/2bones. Parented the Mesh pieces to the points. Added an IK handle, Key Framed the IK handle at the 0,0,0 for the First and Last Keyframe, added a movement in the middle. Then exported.

Runs fine in maya and the animation runs fine in Marmoset, its just my Mesh isnt parented to my Skeleton anymore in Marmoset.

Thanks!

Your materials need to be marked as skinned.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Your materials need to be marked as skinned.

When I click the Vertex Skinning check box the mesh disappears, I can no longer see it.

I did have one test where it didn't disappear and I could see the animation effecting the mesh, but the mesh had become exploded and deformed all over screen when I clicked Skinning. But I couldnt tell what was different, I exported everything in the same fashion as my other tests.
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GIS3000 polycounter lvl 13
    Hi there guys.

Does anyone know how to get SSAO activated in Marmoset 1.05? The ambient Occlusion box is checked in the Render tab but it seems to make no difference. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
    GIS3000
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GIS3000 polycounter lvl 13
    Hi guys,

Can anyone help me? If i can get SSAO on Marmoset, I'll be set!

BTW, is there a way to adjust the camera's properties? Right now everything looks a little "Fish eye view".

Thanks
    GIS3000
  • berry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    berry polycounter lvl 12
    CKohl wrote: »
    Well there's your problem. :poly124: ATI constantly breaks stuff when they push out driver updates.

Try downloading the most recent build of the toolbag, it should have a fix for the most recent ATI driver screwup I believe.

But, since this is such a common problem and will undoubtedly happen again in the future when ATI releases more buggy drivers, here is a guide everyone can follow that lets you override the drivers that the toolbag loads (works for Maya too; ATI screwed up the UV Texture Editor; had to use different driver version for the Maya fix though) by placing atidemgx.dll atio6axx.dll and atioglxx.dll directly in the Marmoset program directory.

Hope it's useful!

574KB 1024x3600:
    th_Marmoset-ATI-Workaround.jpg

thank you so much man