Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Team Fortress 2: 1850 Edition

Replies

• Slowbrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would someone mind telling me what programs they are using? After seeing this thread I decided I NEED to get into modeling.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, I forgot about this guy. Thanks for the reminder.

Mine is done entirely in ZBrush on account of me not having access to Maya at home at the moment. I'd suggest most of the others are using a combination of ZBrush and Either Maya or Max
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    These are brilliant! Swizzle's really look true to the TF2 art style.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot about this guy. Thanks for the reminder.

Mine is done entirely in ZBrush on account of me not having access to Maya at home at the moment. I'd suggest most of the others are using a combination of ZBrush and Either Maya or Max

Swizzle actually uses mudbox for his head sculpts.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    After waaay too long without the use of my tablet, I'm back, baby!

Got a bit of work done on this sucker today. I'm going to put some of the finishing touches on him tomorrow and then move onto the next one.
    ni7Jk.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    :D
    Omg its so good.
  • TheNeverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome job Swizz...
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely killer swizzle, looks like the demomans big brother haha.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and here I thought you'd given up,
    looks good Swizz :)
  • Gaisle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait until all of the models are released.

Too bad we don't have any voice replacements so John Henry isn't Russian.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome, he seems to be taller than the current heavy... that's pretty freakin' tall.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Can we see some wires Swizzle?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great! My only two gripes are that the top of the head looks very low poly and the light part of the hands looks kind of weird. Does the Demoman have lighter skin like that on his hands?
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. Though on Swizzles perhaps a more gradual transition would be better, especially on the back of his hand where it looks like a seem. Looking nice though, keep it up.
    Demomaneyelandertauntkill.png
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is some really nice work. What's the next character on the list?
  • korge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God, the theme really works. Reminds me of the old HL1 mod (Wanted).

Im surprised Valve hasnt thought about buying up the team and these models.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys.

ScudzAlmighty:
    I hadn't given up, I just didn't have access to the stylus for my tablet. I'm visiting my brother right now and I accidentally left it at home. I got somebody to send it in the mail, so now I'm back working on this.

ShadowBrain:
    It's just a proportional thing. The legs on my model are longer than the legs on the original heavy, so it makes him look taller. In reality, he's almost exactly the same height.

Zipfinator:
    There's not much to be done about the top of his head. While I could throw a few more tris at it, I'd be pushing limits. His head is already 2450 tris, and that's a good 536 tris more than the original heavy's head. As for the hands, I'm working on them. I know the transition looks pretty sharp in that image, but I'm toning it down a bit.

Bishop:
    The scout, most likely. I don't want to do something that somebody else has already done in this thread without giving them a chance to finish theirs, otherwise I'd do the demo.

Wires, as per request.
    SHOhI.jpg
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'd need to see him in a bit more natural of a pose before I could properly judge. The reference pose just looks unusally strange with those proportions.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »

I got somebody to send it in the mail, so now I'm back working on this.

well thats just awesome :)

wires look really good, but something about the suspender teeth bugs me. maybe they're too short, they just don't look like they're properly attatched to the belt.

and, should the vest really be so far away from the neck? I don't really notice until I was looking at the shoulder geo to see if it would deform properly, but that neck opening is HUGE and now I can't stop looking at it.
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well thats just awesome :)

wires look really good, but something about the suspender teeth bugs me. maybe they're too short, they just don't look like they're properly attatched to the belt.

and, should the vest really be so far away from the neck? I don't really notice until I was looking at the shoulder geo to see if it would deform properly, but that neck opening is HUGE and now I can't stop looking at it.

yeah i noticed that too.

here's a sloppy paintover just in case you decide to do anything else swizzle, and need inspiration. :)

johnheavy.png

the only thing is that it kinda hides the suspenders, and i like the suspenders.

also, it strays away from the original concept and looks more the original heavy, which can be a good or bad thing.

just some food for thought
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop:
    The scout, most likely. I don't want to do something that somebody else has already done in this thread without giving them a chance to finish theirs, otherwise I'd do the demo.

I don't even remember what the scout looks like in the comic.:( And btw, what's your method on texturing these models? I can't exactly tell just by looking and I don't wanna read the entire thread.
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just thought of something.

what would it look like if john heavy henry's undershirt was a pale offwhite, and his neckerchief was red?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop wrote: »
    I don't even remember what the scout looks like in the comic.:( And btw, what's your method on texturing these models? I can't exactly tell just by looking and I don't wanna read the entire thread.

Looks like it's just base colors, AO, normal map for folds, a bit of painting here and there like on the hands and eyebrows and then a gradient to make the bottom darker and to represent dirt.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post a picture of him next to the original heavy please.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement:
    Once I get these finished, I'd like to pose 'em up like the ones in the group shot. They'll look a lot better once they're posed.

ScudzAlmighty:
    I know what you mean about the opening for the neck, but I actually like it. It's also pretty similar to the drawing this is based on, so I think it's a plus.

chickenman:
    I'd considered something like that, but I just don't think it'd work very well. As for the shirt color, I think it'd kind of defeat the purpose of having team colors.

Bishop:
    He's the one sitting down in front in this image. As for the texturing, it's really simple. Zipfinator pretty much nailed it.

ShadowBrain:
    Okay.
    xnioy.jpg
  • tex_cookiedough
    wow these look great guys, incredible job on the heavy swizzle xD might i ask how long you have been using zbrush or mudbox and modo etc?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    nice work, really nice work. but maybe you could push him into a bit more toony direction here and there? i think the silhouette break on the legs of the original heavy works really cool, you could do something like this as well, with makin his ankles/lower legs slimmer - also i think it might be kind a funny oif him heaving pretty thin legs, but this massive upper body - worth a shot i'd guess
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    I was working on some other stuff, because I want to have my portfolio online asap.

This is just a rough mockup of how I want him to look (open for suggestions though). I'll probably be able to reuse most of engi's body.
    Next I'm going to clean up topology of the head :)
    28iagk6.jpg
  • Bl4ckie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle- That heavy is looking awsome, really digging his proportions and the textures look really good :thumbup:. Can't help wondering what your using for the screen grabs. Are they done using the model viewer or some other method???

Gerre- Liking your approach to modeling this dude. His face has a lot of personnality, and it looks like you have got the chops down nicely. I was worried ours would look too similar, but it looks like we're heading in different directions. Lantern is a great idea :)

I've had some time to model out his body and start messing with proportions. This will be a playable character to replace the engie in game, so I am slightly constrained by his rig. Pretty happy with it so far, any comments or crits are welcomed.

temp.png
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xnioy.jpg
    Did you add the stubble to make him look more like the original Heavy?
    I personally think it changes his appearance from the image you based it on rather drastically, and I'm not sure how well I think it matches with the hair on his head.

I also personally feel his jaw/chin looks too round and too small.
    In the reference image it is almost bigger than Heavies, but in your model it is smaller and rounder than Heavies.
    heavy.png?t=1280502199

I really like what you've done so far though :3
  • Radamein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love you even more now 0.o

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if these ended up on the TF2 blog.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tex_cookiedough:
    I've been using Mudbox and Modo for somewhere around five years now on a hobbyist basis.

Neox:
    I agree about the legs and it's on my to do list, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get to it right now.

Bl4ckie:
    Yeah, I used the Source SDK model viewer for these screenshots. It's a lot easier to get an idea of what the final product needs to look like with all the proper shaders and lighting and such, so I import the models as soon as I have them unwrapped.

Simski:
    I actually like the chin in the comic a lot better than the one the model has now, but I didn't make it like the one in the comic because it simply wouldn't fit with the style of the actual character models from TF2. While all the characters' chins are different, they're all round when viewed in cross section from above, so throwing in that square of a chin would just look weird. I think that was a good reason to change it up.

Radamein:
    That'd be pretty cool, but it's not really what I'm aiming for. I need portfolio stuff and I'm currently lacking finished pieces at the moment.

Using my patented As Done As It's Gonna Get™ technology, I've gotten the heavy to the point where I just want to not look at it ever again. I really need to move on to the next one, so I'm going to let this sit as is for a while and try not to think about all the little tweaks I aught to make to it.

I lowered the stubble opacity and refined his hairline a little and made some small texture tweaks just about everywhere else as well. He now has working spec maps, too. Time to move on.
    P0dg3.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is... is he crosseyed???

Looks good Swizz ;)
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Great job on the Heavy. I can't wait to see what you do with the Scout.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heavy is looking great! I really don't like the hairline now that it's so sharp but if you're happy with it then move on. 6 more to go!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since the scout's face is so small (and partially covered) in the original image, this is mostly just me screwing around with shapes I thought were interesting. I know he's supposed to be based on Billy the Kid, but he didn't really have a terribly interesting face, so I'm just kind of making this up.

If his chin looks weird, it's because I'm going to give him a little bit of a goatee.
    RD9SS.jpg
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your Heavy looks a lot more like the old one now that you toned down the stubble a bit, I like it :O

I can sympathize with you want wanting to have it be too square and pointy, I was merely thinking of making it slightly more like Heavy's while at the same time making it somewhat larger.

I'm pretty settled with your latest addition though.
    I'm not sure if you changed his jaw or if you just toned down the stubble, but it looks a lot better.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Swizzle I think you are concentrating too much on front and sideview when sculpting, his head feels too much like a box atm. I'm not an expert sculpter, but I usually start with sculpting a very basic skull, with proportions I like, before adding detail like eyes, nose, mouth, ears...

Cleaned the topology of the head. He has a mouth now :D Still have to work on the back of his head though.
    2v10qo3.jpg
    btw is it just me or does he look like Hellboy :shifty:

edit: Just noticed that tri at his nostril and cleaned it up.
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre, it might be the angle but the bottom of the beard looks a little too flat. Given the length of the beard hairs and imagining him shaved, his chin would be very close to the bottom of his mouth. It just seems there's not enough jaw by his chin especially since the beard looks a little concave.

Back from vacation, here's my revived attempt at the Scout. Thinner than before, the proportions match the original scout so it can be rigged in theory. But having a few weeks to clear my mind, I don't know how much more in depth I want to go on this particular project.

billyscouttexture.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've screwed around with the shape of the head some more. I think it's looking a lot better now. I also tried playing with a simple texture to make sure the things I'm planning will work out well, and I think I can make this how I want it to look.

I know he looks a bit older than the original scout, but I think the design still works pretty well. I'm not going for straight copies, anyway.
    JEj41.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like the new face much. It makes the character seem too muscular and manly when the scout is supposed to be a bit scrawny and childish. The old face portrayed that better although it was too similar to the current Scout.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks cool, but too old.
  • Bl4ckie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress Swizzle, I can't wait to see these characters in a group photo :)

Made a start on the textures for the old geezer, still a work in progress.

test3.png
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    @crazy-g: He doesn't have a full beard, only lambchops. I decided to model them in.
    241tjea.jpg
    It will be more clear once I start texturing.

@Bl4ckie: nice progress :)
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy-g wrote: »
    Gerre, it might be the angle but the bottom of the beard looks a little too flat. Given the length of the beard hairs and imagining him shaved, his chin would be very close to the bottom of his mouth. It just seems there's not enough jaw by his chin especially since the beard looks a little concave.

Back from vacation, here's my revived attempt at the Scout. Thinner than before, the proportions match the original scout so it can be rigged in theory. But having a few weeks to clear my mind, I don't know how much more in depth I want to go on this particular project.
    I don't know about that baby blue shirt
    I'm not sure why but eh
    maybe try plaid like this
    thm_28765.jpg
    :p
    but if you don't want to you can just do what you want it's your model and texture after all
  • Radamein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've screwed around with the shape of the head some more. I think it's looking a lot better now. I also tried playing with a simple texture to make sure the things I'm planning will work out well, and I think I can make this how I want it to look.

I know he looks a bit older than the original scout, but I think the design still works pretty well. I'm not going for straight copies, anyway.
    JEj41.jpg

My mind has been blown.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, I can't believe how much awesomeness is in this thread.

Swizz, tell me again why you aren't working for Valve? :P Your interpretations of these characters are nearly IDENTICAL to the style of TF2, seriously inspiring work. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the rest of the scout.

Keep up the incredible work everyone
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre wrote: »
    @crazy-g: He doesn't have a full beard, only lambchops. I decided to model them in.
    241tjea.jpg
    It will be more clear once I start texturing.

ok that makes sense now, thought it was a full beard. my bad :poly142:
    The Scrub wrote: »
    I don't know about that baby blue shirt
    I'm not sure why but eh
    maybe try plaid like this
    thm_28765.jpg
    :p
    but if you don't want to you can just do what you want it's your model and texture after all

It's a little darker than the normal scout's shirt actually. Maybe it's not so much the color, but that it is solid all the way to the gloves. I'll try with the sleeves rolled up to break it up maybe. And plaid in TF2? blasphemy! oh wait...
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy-g wrote: »
    ok that makes sense now, thought it was a full beard. my bad :poly142:

It's a little darker than the normal scout's shirt actually. Maybe it's not so much the color, but that it is solid all the way to the gloves. I'll try with the sleeves rolled up to break it up maybe. And plaid in TF2? blasphemy! oh wait...

It's probably the solid color
    maybe it is blasphemy but at least it breaks up the solid colors necasue it seems to me to look like a skin tight suit right now and I can't emphasise enough how much "DO NOT WANT" is in that idea.
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with ya, I was just being facetious about the plaid... look at my avatar :) The lack of breaking it up I thought was the real issue.

billyscoutnosleeves.jpg

Now his hands look bigger than the medic's