Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Team Fortress 2: 1850 Edition

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    mexicans are a little under represented?
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What? Mexicans aren't in the 1850 team pic. The only ones probably not white are the heavy and spy.

Edit, really? I know Swizzle's workin' on schtuff, but no one wants to update anything on this thread?
  • WolfSeagull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give them time and patience my friends. Models usually take a long and hard time to make, so let's be patient, and see what they have updated/finished.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess, I did make a quick hour or two sculpt of the spies head ( I think I made it before Swizzle finished the heavy) and only really made it cuz I didn't want to draw where the features are suppose to go. I might post it -_-...maybe. I still dont trust any of my skills as of late with being tired as hell.
  • WolfSeagull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take all the time you need, everyone else took their time, and they managed to create wonderful models :D I wish I had the ability/time to create what everyone else is doing on this thread. So again as I said before, keep up the awesome work!
  • WolfSeagull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take all the time you need, everyone else took their time, and they managed to create wonderful models :D I wish I had the ability/time to create what everyone else is doing on this thread. So again as I said before, keep up the awesome work!
  • Stunball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop wrote: »
    What? Mexicans aren't in the 1850 team pic. The only ones probably not white are the heavy and spy.

Edit, really? I know Swizzle's workin' on schtuff, but no one wants to update anything on this thread?

That prospector Demoman is from Mexico. Or, at least he grew up there. In a cruel, longstanding demolition prospector tradition, he was left over the border in the middle of the desert to be found and grow up in a Mexican orphanage until his demolition prowess presented itself. He lost his left eye in a backwards attempt at killing the Chupacabra.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stunball wrote: »
    That prospector Demoman is from Mexico. Or, at least he grew up there. In a cruel, longstanding demolition prospector tradition, he was left over the border in the middle of the desert to be found and grow up in a Mexican orphanage until his demolition prowess presented itself. He lost his left eye in a backwards attempt at killing the Chupacabra.

...The hell is wrong with the demoman people and their unfortunality of losing of their eye?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    if there were ever to be a 90's team fortress thing, (other than the original) the heavy should be a luchador.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    All really nice work!

What happened to the idea of making a complete pack out of them for a mod (or a game) and release them under a CC license (preferably this one: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ )?

Would be really cool to see them actually used, instead of rotting in someones portfolio like so much of the cool stuff posted here on Polycount!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    if there were ever to be a 90's team fortress thing, (other than the original) the scout should be a luchador.

Fixed that for you.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop wrote: »
    ...The hell is wrong with the demoman people and their unfortunality of losing of their eye?
    Mjeh, they're probably just happy they didn't lose both eyes, or a limb.
    That is the life of someone that handles deadly explosives.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    JKMakowka wrote: »
    All really nice work!

What happened to the idea of making a complete pack out of them for a mod (or a game) and release them under a CC license (preferably this one: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ )?

Would be really cool to see them actually used, instead of rotting in someones portfolio like so much of the cool stuff posted here on Polycount!

I don't know about anybody else's stuff in here, but it's still my intention to release my models under a CC license, if possible. I don't know about the legality of it at the moment, considering the original concepts came from Valve, so I'll be investigating as I near the end of the project.

As for actually finishing all nine classes, though, I can't say when it'll happen. I have a lot of stuff going on right now that's preventing me from working on them and I also just got tired of working on stuff in this style. I'm working on some other things in very different styles so I can wash the taste of TF2 out of my mouth for a while. Once those are done, I fully intend to get back to work on finishing these.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I don't know about anybody else's stuff in here, but it's still my intention to release my models under a CC license, if possible. I don't know about the legality of it at the moment, considering the original concepts came from Valve, so I'll be investigating as I near the end of the project.

As for actually finishing all nine classes, though, I can't say when it'll happen. I have a lot of stuff going on right now that's preventing me from working on them and I also just got tired of working on stuff in this style. I'm working on some other things in very different styles so I can wash the taste of TF2 out of my mouth for a while. Once those are done, I fully intend to get back to work on finishing these.

Wait, you got 3/9 done and some people have already done other classes. You would still do those classes? Maybe to fit your style for the characters?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's my plan to do all 9. I don't want to rag on anybody or be a dick, but there are a few that simply haven't been up to the quality that I think I can make them.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, true. In anycase, I do like yours. Going from the high poly sculpt, to a low poly model just makes it look very nice and still well in the TF2 style.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well there might be some issues with the logos that the characters have on their arms, otherwise they are just a little bit inspired by valve, so there is nothing illegal about it. So if you change the logos, and maybe alter the color scheme a bit to be sure that you are for sure on the legal safe side ;)

Edit: If it is more of a long term project of yours, would you be interested in making a game out of them? I mean there are plenty of nice open-source engines that would really shine with such content. PM me if you want to discuss this further ;)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've already had approximately half the internet asking me whether I'm going to put these into TF2 as playable characters or if I'm going to make something like a mod to showcase them, but it's simply not going to happen unless somebody else makes it happen. I'm in it strictly for the experience and for portfolio pieces and I lack both the time and technical skill necessary for a mod project. This is why I'll be releasing the models as a big package once I'm done.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can imagine ;) Well I will be for sure one who will have a look in turning these into a cool open-source (likely Darkplaces based) game once you release them. Just make sure it's actually a open-source compatible CC license (the NC and the ND options make it basically impossible to use them).

P.S.: When will you make the medic? :p
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    whoooooaaaa 20 pages!>?? kotaku has a pretty god damn gigantor reader base.

but its is a pretty sweet thread !
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's my plan to do all 9. I don't want to rag on anybody or be a dick, but there are a few that simply haven't been up to the quality that I think I can make them.
    I don't ever think you should think that you're doing something bad by making your own versions.
    (With the exception to when you're actually stealing the model idea from another modeler)

Most of them got the idea of modeling these characters from this thread anyway, so I really don't think anyone here would feel that you're stealing their ideas.
    I see these models as a kind of "fan-art", to say that you can't model it because someone else also gave it a go is like saying that people can't draw fan-art of the same character.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    None meets your quality and style so go ahead!
    Expected it anyways ^^
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    128311999259.jpg

note: not mine, came across random link. get started, you talented fools.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH SON OF A GUN!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    ...why is the Pyro a plague doctor?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    'Cause plague doctors are awesome.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    His mask should be on the actual doctor.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it is the closest thing to a yesteryear gas-mask, although most of them has 19th century clothing, the plague doctor is soo 17th century..

EDIT: feck, history fail..
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Shouldn't the Spy be a ninja?
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just hope after the 1850, that anyone would be able to make a thread for the pirates.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Been working some more on this one. Textures are still wip (no spec or normals yet). I'm taking suggestions on belt buckle engravings :)
    2qa1kqp.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think they had hard hats back in those days. maybe an earlier version of it exists though.
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should totally engrave it with the letters N and G. you know, like engie?
    idk I thought it was clever.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    I don't think they had hard hats back in those days. maybe an earlier version of it exists though.
    He has a hard hat in his lap in the comic, so I figured it would be okay. And I felt like he needed something yellow which makes him more recognizable as engineer, since the original has lots of yellow colors (hard hat, glove, kneepads) and this one almost none.

Gave the buckle some more thought and I'll probably go for two crossed wrenches :)
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre wrote: »
    Been working some more on this one. Textures are still wip (no spec or normals yet). I'm taking suggestions on belt buckle engravings :)
    2qa1kqp.jpg
    Can I just say one thing? I know that that's the EXACT way the gloves were in the comic, but could you alter them just a little bit? I feel like they look the same as the Pyro's gloves.
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharky wrote: »
    Can I just say one thing? I know that that's the EXACT way the gloves were in the comic, but could you alter them just a little bit? I feel like they look the same as the Pyro's gloves.

i agree. they should be a lighter gray and more brown.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radigan is so hot
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Some more progress. I did the boneweighting, so the animations work again. Also some compiling stuff like his goggles and the gunslinger. Textures still need some final detailing. After that normal and specularmap.
    2iiex69.jpg
    kf4m5t.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Looks rad, perfectly fitting tf2 style :)
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    You should jigglebone the lantern! :D

But awesome anyway!
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES!! posing is what i like to see.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    You should jigglebone the lantern! :D

But awesome anyway!
    The lantern replaces the electricity cable so it already moves around. The cloth will be jiggleboned though :)
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice Radigan

I'd still like the Gunslinger to replace the entire Radigan model with Radigan post Australium just for the shear badassedness of it

I am really glad someone finally posted. It's been weird to constantly see a post describing an old man as "hot" with no updates what so ever
    I'd probably have broken the silence sometime later but just glad that someone did it for me. with a great update to boot
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Gerre, very nice. Your boots seem a bit thin to me (bones pose is maybe not helping)
    What about a slighlty more cowboy look ?
    gennetf2.gif
    And thanks for the add on steam ;)
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    The Scrub wrote: »
    I'd still like the Gunslinger to replace the entire Radigan model with Radigan post Australium just for the shear badassedness of it
    It would indeed be badass if he is bare chested and has a mustache if you equip the gunslinger :D. And although it's doable, it would be too much extra work atm so I'm not sure I'll be doing this. Not in the near future anyways.

@Noors: I didn't notice that, thx for pointing it out. I used the sniper's boots and thought that would do. I'll have to do some reshaping then :)
  • VidGameDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have any of you seen this?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhdq539zQIE[/ame]

this guy probably just made the 10th class idea perfectly lol
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Eugh. I hate the idea. And his texturing is nowhere near as good as Swizzle's.
  • Phones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NO. I was going to make the British pilot darn it.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Basically he's a Spy with a jetpack but no knife/sapper/disguise kit/invisibility?

Make him British, with a limited flight time, parachute/hang glider as secondary and, as melee, a baton that police use.

I'm British too... can I be the Aviator?
  • FAT~U-BOY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I like it :D