Home Technical Talk

A new modeling tool released

Replies

• elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    One small issue,

The manipulator in BG image doesnt seems to work along with shortcut. (w,e,r)

And also another thing..
    When I try to close the application, it says my objects havent been saved. So I clicked 'yes' but nothing happened. If I press 'No' then the app will quit.

Pressing 'yes' should save my current scene, and then quit the program.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kun..

..here's that vid I said I'd send you in our email convo. I wanted to add more than I did, but I didn't want you to have to sit there and watch an hour worth of bug reporting. I'll save my other notes for the next version. I also tried to get the same bug that elte is getting with the BG image but it works fine for me as shown in the vid.

You can dl the vid here: www.vertexcomplex.com/BugReport_02.rar

Hope it helps and keep up the good work!

:)
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Kris, When you have full screen, I thought Kun made a special build for you :p

I like the simplicity of it, not cluttered. You've got most of the point I was trying to say in the beginning of earlier build.

wmb = wheel mouse button, took me a while to understand, better changed to 'scroll'

I think nmb is supposed to be mmb, wrong typo perhaps? coz n sits besides m :p

edge extrusion on 6:30 shouldn't be constrained on normal. It should be free to move in any direction.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thanks a lot!!!

I didn't make a special build for Kris.

Just some quick response
    1. When the background image opacity value spinner control is focused, hot key action is disabled. Thats why manipulator is not working in Elte's case. I will remove that spinner control since it is not a neccessary.
    1. NMB = None mouse button. For some operations, you can press down hot key then just move the mouse without pressing down any mouse button to perform the action.
    2. WMB = Wheel mouse button. I'll keep using this short name, since it at least lets you know it is a mouse thing. I think when "LMB/MMB/RMB" come out the first time, people may got confused too.
    3. Kris: can you try the edge A+RMB again with the "Cull-None" render option on. It works for me. I think when you tried that in the video, the extruded face is backfacing so you can't see it. I will make the "Cull-None" option as default.
    4. Also Kris: If you are not sure how to go with a specific button tool, while the tool is on, choose menu "Help > Show Help On Current Operation". The online book will open at the page about that tool. Hope that helps.

[Edit]: Kris, there is a vertex snap tool G+MMB, make sure the vertex snap option or other option is on.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Is the input customization ever going to support full mouse customization of a 5 button wheel mouse? This would be a big factor for me if I were ever to consider VW a decent replacement to silo. I can overload my mouse buttons (with modifier keys as well) to contain most of my modeling workflow in silo. I don't use a GUI at all in that app other than for numeric input or accessing the object list/properties. This capability is one of Silo's strongest aspects and really sets it above all other modeling tools by allowing me to have a workflow unlike anything else I've used.

Here's an example of my Silo Mouse config:

SiloMouse.png

I've got it set up this way so that I can flow from tool to tool with very little keyboard use other than the modifier keys, and it is heavily focused on a 'tweak-centric' workflow using tools like slide, cut, move along normals, scale around normals, tweak, etc. The mousewheel is very heavily used as well for selection growing, soft selection falloff and strength etc, zooming, and even shading/wireframe visibility cycling.

Also is there a multi-selection mode avialable yet? Apologize if it is and I missed it. I try to keep up with builds and this thread but right now I'm too busy using my existing tools to get stuff done.

Cheers for the rapid responses to feature requests so far!
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool to see you over here from the Silo boards, James. (I go by Polygod over there)

I agree with James 100%, as well as his use of controls. As it stands now, I can tell you Kun that the way you have extrude working now, I would not switch to this app at all. It's too clumsy.

I can select an edge and use right mouse button to drag in the direction Im going, but sometimes it doesnt work, or backfacecull isnt on. Besides, I would rather use the left mouse button to extrude my edges, not right mouse button. That's an illogical behavior unless you come from Blender where the norm is to select something with right mouse button.

Sometimes when dragging an edge with right mouse button, when Im done, it will create a new edge because i was still holding the A button down. I just done see the functionality here. I understand the want to have different extrude options via the mouse, but extrude needs major tweaking.

I'm basically happy with selections, sliding, cutting (other than what I showed in the video), and other stuff. But extrude is major when it comes to poly modeling.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [James]: I definitely need to include X1/X2 buttons into customization. Can you tell me what multi-selection mode is?
    [Kris]: Can you tell me how exatly the edge extrude tool should behave. I can switch the mouse direction extrude from RMB to LMB.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia: sure, it's simply being able to select any type of geometry without having to switch from one mode to the next. Rather than having to hit a different key for vertex, edge or polygon selection modes I have multi-selection mode in silo bound to my X1 button. It is my most commonly used selection method, as it makes all types available for selection. There are different ways to handle multi-selection from here. In silo, once I click on an element I can only hi-light or select that type of element from then on, until I change modes. If I want to move back to multi-selection I just click the X1 button again.

In max I think multi-selection will still allow you to highlight and select any type of geometry even with an active selection. I'd be happy with this too. For me it's really more about just having that selection option and avoiding constantly hitting specific key binds per mode change.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [James]: In VW, stay in vertex mode, turn on Edit > StreamLine Engine Options > Element Sensitive. From here you can select any type of geometry, but you need to highlight it first and only single click or paint select can work on multi-selection. That should be quite close to what you are after but will still need some optimizing for quick access.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! That works for me. I'll give it a shot.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Kris wrote: »
    Cool to see you over here from the Silo boards, James. (I go by Polygod over there)

I think Silo/Polycount have a lot of folks in common, Im RogerKnightly over there.

Is anyone using this on windows 7 64bit? I just updated and cant get it to load :(
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet. :) It works fine on my 7x64 machine... loads that is.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kun,

Here's a quick vid showing you the extrude function I have a problem with, plus the element move selection problems.

www.vertexcomplex.com/BugReport_03.rar

Hope it clears up any questions and that you understand what I mean. It's gettin' there :)
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [r_fletch_r]: You may need to download a 32-bit .netframwork1.1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en. The preloaded .netframework in win7-64 is 64-bit.

[Kris]:Thanks for the video. I think the problem that causes the polygon selection dificulty is the selection radius is too big. The selection radius can be adjusted in Preference form which you can open either through main radial menu or Edit > Preference. Once its open, the selection radius spinner control wil get focus automatically so you can scroll mouse wheel straight to adjust the value. Once done, click Enter to accept or Esc to cancel.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia wrote: »
    [Kris]:Thanks for the video. I think the problem that causes the polygon selection dificulty is the selection radius is too big. The selection radius can be adjusted in Preference form which you can open either through main radial menu or Edit > Preference. Once its open, the selection radius spinner control wil get focus automatically so you can scroll mouse wheel straight to adjust the value. Once done, click Enter to accept or Esc to cancel.

That's probably something that shouldn't have to be adjusted. It should just work correctly from the get-go. If I wanted to select a larger radius of stuff, such as multiple verts, polys or edges, I'd just paint select them. :/
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Kris]: The selection radius is requested by a few other users up along this thread somewhere. The purpose is to easy sub component selection, but it also introduces problem into multi-selection as you have seen.
    Also the bounding box display can be disabled in a contex menu which can be opened by clicking a view type label top-right of the viewport. I will improve this so by default they are invisible.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be really good :)

Also, I understand the selection radius, but I just don't see the use for it. I guess others do. I'm sure someone will give me an example where it would be necessary soon.

I just know if I'm hovering over a poly, by default, no matter how zoomed in or zoomed out I am, it should select that poly, not the edge beside it.

But yeah, that bounding box being on by default is bothersome, reminds me of Max in a way. I wish extrude was really easy, like, by just tapping A, I could use my mouse to direct the flow of the poly, rather than holding it down. But I'm sure you have some plans to make it work nicely after that vid I showed you.

Lovin' the progress so far :)

*by the way, I'm sure you're going to hear things later about making a 64-bit version..if not now, you will before its over.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Kris]: Check out this page. Vrav uses the radius in his video.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74005&page=6
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I can see the option being necessary now. I would just think the default size would be smaller.

One thing to note, although I have symmetry enabled on the X axis, and the symmetry box is ticked at the bottom, it still only selects one side of the mesh when I'm manipulating it.

I understand about adding a symmetry and working that way, but I'm not sure what this symmetry check-box is for if it's not allowing me to do things symmetrically. Am I missing something here?
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I will make the default selection radius size down to 8.

If a mesh has symmetry and the symmetry check box is not checked, the mesh's symmetry will be ignored in most of geometry transform or edit operations (except symmetry and subdivision operations), for edit operation, the symmetry will be destroyed. This is to let user get out of the symmetry when he wishes.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kun, that's what I have my default set to :) I understand the symmetry too now. See, I was deleting one half of the mesh and then applying the automatic symmetry like you have to in most apps. Well, now I know you don't have to do that.

My request for the symmetry feature then would be a shortcut key to enable and disable symmetry instead of the tickbox. That way, I and anyone who models in fullscreen wouldn't have to keep bringing up the UI to check that symmetry box. I know the hotkey in Silo is the N key, but you could do a key or even an option in the right click menu... just a suggestion and request from your friendly neighborhood spiderman.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'll add a symmetry item into the radial menu. And also a shortcut key too, but it won't be available in the coming up update. I need to create a bunch of shortcut keys to handle selections/commands/options at a seperate time.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Another update again.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Oct-19.rar

Summary of changes

* A vertex [Smooth Normal] command tool is added to smooth out individual vertex normal. The smoothing grouping from this operation is smooth flag independent.

* App closing saving behaviour improved.

* A back to parent menu item is added to second level radial menu.

* Soft selection updating on mouse scrolling improved.

* Edge A+LMB/RMB functions are swapped. So cursor direction edge extrusion can be performed by NMB/LMB.

* One improvement is made for StreamLine tools which has NMB function. Once the tool is activated, if any actions rather than NMB is performed, its NMB function will be disabled until it is closed and activated again. The purpose is to reduce unintended mistakes made by moving the mouse after a non-NMB action performed.

* Vertex snapping improved.

* An additional vertex snap function is added into vertex D tool, so when this tool is activated, the programe will attempt to snap the selected vertex to the highlighted vertex if only one vertex is selected.

* Cut tool improved, less connection line.

* A BGImage Control StreamLine tool is added, default key is B. It can do create/delete/transform/reset/opacityAdjusting. So [Shift+WMB] is no more and replaced by [B+WMB].

Thanks!
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ubiq wrote: »
    When I start VW, minimize it, and try to use another program(browser or play video) the other program slows down or freezes completely. Running VW even freezes my wimpy starfield screensaver. When I shut down VW all other programs return to normal operation. I'm running xp with a vanilla nvidia card. Please keep up your hard work on VW as I agree it has possibilities. Thanks!

[ubiq]: Sorry I missed your post and I found it when I did a review. I have made a bit improvement on the latest update, so it consumes very little cpu while at idle. Please let me know if it gets better or not.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spidey says fan-friggin-tastic :)

Extrude works exactly how I'd expect it to, snapping works a lot better except snap to grid which still is a little quirky.

BG hotkey works excellent, takes some getting used to but works well from what I could tell.

Only bug I could tell right away was that when you hit the ~ key to subdivide the mesh, when you press ALT ~ it makes that "donk" noise like you did something wrong. It works, but it shouldn't make a sound when you do it. :)

I will have to test it further tomorrow but that's what I can report on right now. Great update though. I can also confirm its better on CPU, as now when I run it on my laptop, it doesn't hog all my resources.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Didn't test the last version much as I'm short on free time, but the app still lack two things:

1: a shortcut for cap holes.
    2: a edge collapse (single/multiple). < this one IS really lacking imo.

I will test it toroughly in the coming days, mainly for stability purpose as the modeling tool are almost there :>
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Didn't test the last version much as I'm short on free time, but the app still lack two things:

1: a shortcut for cap holes.
    2: a edge collapse (single/multiple). < this one IS really lacking imo.

1. Yes there is. Hover over an edge, press D and middle mouse click. The hole is capped.

2. Select the edges you want to collapse, and press S.

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kris wrote: »
    1. Yes there is. Hover over an edge, press D and middle mouse click. The hole is capped.

2. Select the edges you want to collapse, and press S.

1: OK, but it definetely should be indicated in the shortcut list. For me creating new polys is about creatig new poly not closing holes, I know it sounds stubborn but I have not yet encountered an application merging the two functions, it should at least be stated in the shortcut list.

[EDIT] Actually that's pretty clever, you just need to state it :>

2: There's no info about this function anywhere, in the shortcut lists it says loop cut/slide edge not collapse :)

Also it works but not the way I expected, voidworld treat the selection as a ensemble, it may be handy in some case, but I personally like silo approache more (cause it can make edge ring disappear fast).

Here's a simple exemple:
    cubedefaultcollapse.gif

and here's why silo approach is more usefull for quick topological adjustement:

collapsevwsilo.gif

An option is always welcome, I'm sure some people like the way voidworld handle it right now.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'm with BK on this one!
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Me too. I think I've worn out the hotkey for this in Silo.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    1: OK, but it definetely should be indicated in the shortcut list. For me creating new polys is about creatig new poly not closing holes, I know it sounds stubborn but I have not yet encountered an application merging the two functions, it should at least be stated in the shortcut list.

[EDIT] Actually that's pretty clever, you just need to state it :>

I agree as well. I actually said something similar in a video I made for him a while back. I'd rather just hit Shift F to create a new polygon, but the D and middle click works nice. Just needs to be stated.

The collapse in Silo is better also, I agree. But it's coming along.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I agree with BK regarding the collapse...

I have small suggestion. Is it possible to have like a see through highlight of elements?

gJDWV.jpg

This is particularly useful when users accidentally select elements behind the object.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Did a very quick and rough UI mockup

0EeYm.jpg

And some reference

TEOtv.jpg
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, here is 20 0ct build

http://www.kutucg.com/voidworld/VoidWorld-Oct-20.rar

Summary of changes
    * Vertex snapping is improved again.
    * Edge loop collapsing feature is added into S tool to replace the ring collapsing feature. ring collapsing feature is moved to H tool, LMB+RMB click to atcivate it, this way to avoid modifying selection on tool activation.
    Thanks!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    IStonia: I know your not looking to revise the default UI anytime soon, but what about mading it customizable? That is the ability to break-away/dock menus and buttons. That way even if the default didn't change for some time users could at least set it up how they wanted.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'll look into the GUI soon. But I am currently working on hot keys and radial menu customizing. That will take a few days, so can't tauch the GUI right now.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About radial menu, I'm one of the few that asked for it, I have to admit I'm not using it. Not because it's not useful, but the radius between origin point and hilighting the option is WAAAY to short. You can't make conscious choice with it cause the trigger zone is so small. Could you make it wider ? Or better: customisable ?

Thanks a lot for following all our suggestions, very much appreciated !

[EDIT] I didn't notice the last build, going to test it right away :)

Collapse working like expected, cool :)
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure can make it customizable. But in case I may missunderstand what you mean, it would be cool if you can provide a mock up image. I remember this is your second time complaining about this that means I haven't got it right.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, I don't have maya anymore, I can't show a comparison video, but in maya you have to make large gesture from the origin point to the commands to activate them.

In VoidWorld, a simple twitch make the selection, therefore you can't really work with the menu.

Maybe this will help, imho the activation zone should be aroud the green area, right now its in the first third of red:

marking.gif

That may look a bit extreme, but to me it clearly has its use it means "i'm confidently striking the upper right diagonal for extrude". You have to be sure of what you want to activate it, and with usage the distance become a safe guard and not a barrier.

I may be the only one thinking that, hence customisation proposal. I would like to hear what other think about it...
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree as well. I use the Radial exclusively, and wish it were a bit more friendly. I agree that it only takes an accidental touch of an area and you've selected it. The strike area should be a little more towards the center of the box.

This might also hurt the ability to select the option box in each one though, so that would have to be looked at.

My three suggestions for radial:

1. Make the gray area a tad transparent. Will look sleeker.

2. Make the "Back to Parent Menu" say Return to Main. I will have to reinstall Maya after reformatting to show the radial menu differences.

3. After hitting the option box in the radial, have a pop-up box for adjusting the settings. As it is now, if you are in fullscreen, it pops you out of it to do all the settings. Then I have to go to fullscreen again...

...this is where an advanced UI would be helpful - similar to Silo, less clutter. Whereas now, the app looks like 3D max's confused little brother.

• IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still confused. I have two different understanding versions.

1. for some menu If you move the cursor into it, it will trigger an action to show up a second leve radial menu. That makes it tool easy to do something by accident.
    2. Or It is too easy to highlight a menu so when you release mouse button you may make a wrong selection by accident.

I also have one question. For menus on left or right, a safe zone can be defined. But how about the two menus wich are at top or bottom, are they safe enough so safe zone does not need to apply to them?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate menus altogether, so the sooner you add full mouse customization the sooner I never have to use them again. =]
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia wrote: »
    I also have one question. For menus on left or right, a safe zone can be defined. But how about the two menus wich are at top or bottom, are they safe enough so safe zone does not need to apply to them?

I don't see why not. I have no problem with the top or bottom menus. I personally like the radial so don't get rid of that. I use it, with a combination of hotkeys and the default VW keys. So... :)
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am thinking of putting a small area into the second level menu activation menu item. So when rmb drag into that menu item, it won't be triggered but only highlighted, unless you enter that special erea. And that special erea is at the far end away from the origin.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really like VW 'Back to Parent Menu' Position right now.

Here's simple GIF ilustration of maya's marking menus

*Apology, this image doesn't loop, save the image and play it in your pc instead.

Wj7ZJ.gif
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The maya way needs quite some coding. So can't afford to do it right now. Could be another time.
  • GregD3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there scripting capabilities planned down the road? The door would open for app collaboration via GoZ (ZBrush), MudWalker (Mudbox) and AppLink (3DCoat).
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looking nice, been keeping an eye on this. if you do plan on doing a UI overhaul i would suggest looking at qt. http://qt.nokia.com/
    its what maya uses now and its very easy for the user to customize, its like making a webpage.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »
    looking nice, been keeping an eye on this. if you do plan on doing a UI overhaul i would suggest looking at qt. http://qt.nokia.com/
    its what maya uses now and its very easy for the user to customize, its like making a webpage.

Agreed. Although a minimal interface would be ideal.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GregD3 wrote: »
    Are there scripting capabilities planned down the road? The door would open for app collaboration via GoZ (ZBrush), MudWalker (Mudbox) and AppLink (3DCoat).

My scripting knowloge is minimum. I don't know what it does and in what way it can be done. If you know something about this, please guide me. Thanks!