Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Thrillho

Replies

• Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you were to make a cuban shotgun or weapon these are the kinds of weapons in cuba
    Clue_Guns_Pack.png

apparently.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    if you were to make a cuban shotgun or weapon these are the kinds of weapons in cuba
    Clue_Guns_Pack.png

apparently.

Oh, that's awesome...

Where do you guys find such nice reference material?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrillho, you could make the shotgun or minigun not shoot cigars, but have been repaired haphazardly with bits of metal cigar boxes. The barrels could have a smoke particle fx to reference the cigar thing.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Thrillho, you could make the shotgun or minigun not shoot cigars, but have been repaired haphazardly with bits of metal cigar boxes. The barrels could have a smoke particle fx to reference the cigar thing.

This is true, it's something I've thought of doing as a back-up plan, but I thought I'd dream big, first. :-)
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrillho wrote: »
    OK, so we have 2 votes for 'no' so far... if anyone likes it, please speak up, as this idea is dangerously close to getting trashed.
    I think it might be a bit too rediculous, but stick with the Cuba idea, unless you wanna go with another communist country like North Korea... Perhaps a cigar case which contains shot gun shells attached to the side... Obviously you'd need more, but just a thought
  • xaqread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragus wrote: »
    Dunno about the USSR stuff, I don't think USSR even was in the TF2 universe, who knows!

That's why half the acheivments are named after stuff to do with communism and one taunt represents the show trials? :)
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's just silly.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I'm not 100% sure how you'd figure out the cigar firing animations for the heavy. Just seems a tad over complicated and silly to me.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, no problem... I was planning on scrapping that idea anyhow. :-)

However, I'm thinking of doing a shotgun replacement that is Cuban in design, but sports a cigar clip with a lit Cuban cigar on it, and I was thinking of calling it 'The Smoking Barrel'.

That will be my fallback unless I can come up with a better idea.
  • tylerburrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about a minigun that's actually like, six of those cuban guns (from that picture above) strapped together and wired to spin and all fire at once?
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about a minigun that's actually like, six of those cuban guns (from that picture above) strapped together and wired to spin and all fire at once?

I think I might avoid a minigun replacement, mostly because I think a lot of people have been asking for a shotgun replacement (notice how many sandvich replacements are already in this competition), and also because I think a minigun will take longer to do, and the contest deadline is only 20 days away.

Thanks for the suggestion, though... it reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Moe demonstrates how to turn 1 gun into 5. :-)
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some progress on the Batterin' Bolshevik:

bbolshevik6.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be fun to smash people with that baby. I think you should texture a worn hammer and Sickle somewhere on the hammer.

Here's a good transparent symbol-

604px-Hammer_and_sickle_transparent.svg.png
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that's awesome, nice work on the belts. Great attention to detail!
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be fun to smash people with that baby. I think you should texture a worn hammer and Sickle somewhere on the hammer.

Here's a good transparent symbol-

Lol, looks like great minds think alike! (...but where does that leave US?)

I had thought I might use the Communist logo, possibly overlaying it with the Team Fortress logo, although I wonder if Valve might take that idea negatively.

Wait... you would smash things with a BABY?! What kind of sick man straps BABIES to his hands? :-)
    Oh that's awesome, nice work on the belts. Great attention to detail!

Thanks man! I'll be honest... Belts and other 'non-rigid' objects represent a HUGE pain in the ass when modeling. I think the left hand weapon will be a lot easier to model simply because there is less of that to worry about.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The TF2 logo really should be incorporated more into designs, imo. It is a nice simple visual that can have multiple uses (such as the POWER CORE in the Engineer's new STEEL-IRON ALLOY MAN SUIT)
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the POWER CORE in the Engineer's new STEEL-IRON ALLOY MAN SUIT

Pics or it didn't happen. :-)
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress:
    bbolshevik7.jpg

I'm trying to make the outer blade look like it was crudely sharpened by HWG, and therefore it has some nicks and inconsistencies. The chips on the blade will naturally become more apparent with ambient occlusion and shading, but what do you think so far?

Anyhow, in the meantime, back to fleshing out the rest of the left hand weapon...
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    how will this work with the animations?
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    how will this work with the animations?

With any luck, either the HWG's Fists or the KGB's animations should do the trick, but that remains to be seen. I know that you're the custom animation guru around here, so once I get to that stage, I'm assuming I can come to you for advice?
  • ProXy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The items thus far are AWESOME. The provided stats given a few pages back seem totally original and epic.

...And it's always nice to see someone who's already had success submitting items to Valve take another crack at it. ;)

Anyways, good luck, and keep up the good work! :D
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ProXy wrote: »
    The items thus far are AWESOME. The provided stats given a few pages back seem totally original and epic.

...And it's always nice to see someone who's already had success submitting items to Valve take another crack at it. ;)

Anyways, good luck, and keep up the good work! :D

Thanks Proxy! We'll just have to see what Valve has in store for these theme packs... It's been stated time and again that it is unnecessary for us to come up with stats, so we'll have to see if the theme packs are just going to be cosmetic when they're finally released, or if Valve is just trying to avoid having people come up with unintentionally over/under -powered ideas.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all because they said it was not needed, doesn't mean you can't do it anyways.

(you know, for shits and giggles.)
  • Syncing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles brass knuckles!

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/91469

Not the best but a nice start
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok! I've got a model of the Batterin' Bolshevik finished that I'm satisfied with. I threw some lights in so you guys can see the details better.

bbolshevik8.jpg

Let me know what you think!
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to see this ingame...
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faces. Being raped. By heavy's death machines. That's all i can think when i see this.

*Edit*
    *Heavies Voice*
    "My Fists are made DEATH!"
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a beautiful render. Figured out the animations yet? Are you conceptualizing on the minigun/shotgun?

Man, so little time, so much great stuff for you to accomplish.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it might be a little late to ask now but, is it possible that you could switch places on the hammer on sickle?
    I mean, the hammer in the left hand, and the sickle in right?

I personally just think the sickle looks the most painful of the two, and therefor the best candidate for the critical hit animation :O
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, so little time, so much great stuff for you to accomplish.

Ugh... Don't remind me. The deadline is looming dangerously close. I'm probably going to go for the shotgun replacement, final design still pending. I'm thinking that shouldn't take as long to model as the BB did, because the BB has a lot difficult-to-model bits (straps to fit around existing models, and so forth). Anyway, as for the animations, it's likely just going to have the default punching animations, especially since time is running out.
    I know it might be a little late to ask now but, is it possible that you could switch places on the hammer on sickle?
    I mean, the hammer in the left hand, and the sickle in right?

NO. :-)

Sorry man, there's no way I'd have time to do that. Besides, I disagree about the sickle hand hurting more... the tool is not designed for striking in that fashion (I'm still quite amused by the idea that Heavy has made himself a badass-looking, and yet theoretically impractical weapon). If this weapon combo were used in real life, one would likely use the left hand in a more defensive fashion while winding up for a devastating punch with the right.

...Theoretically, of course.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NO. :-)

Sorry man, there's no way I'd have time to do that. Besides, I disagree about the sickle hand hurting more... the tool is not designed for striking in that fashion (I'm still quite amused by the idea that Heavy has made himself a badass-looking, and yet theoretically impractical weapon). If this weapon combo were used in real life, one would likely use the left hand in a more defensive fashion while winding up for a devastating punch with the right.

...Theoretically, of course.
    Ah, okay then.

I wasn't suggesting remodeling it from scratch on the other hand, I was merely wondering if both of the hands looked the same, because then you might had been able to mirror the weapons...

Also, I just assumed that something hook shaped and sharp would hurt A LOT if you hit someone with it in an uppercut manner :O

The discussion is over though, I'm not going to try and convince you to do such a trivial difference if you don't feel like it :P
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Ah, okay then.

I wasn't suggesting remodeling it from scratch on the other hand, I was merely wondering if both of the hands looked the same, because then you might had been able to mirror the weapons...

Also, I just assumed that something hook shaped and sharp would hurt A LOT if you hit someone with it in an uppercut manner :O

The discussion is over though, I'm not going to try and convince you to do such a trivial difference if you don't feel like it :P

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be as simple as mirroring it... And it's not that I don't feel like doing it, it's just that time is running out and I've got a lot of stuff to complete. I'd totally give it a shot if I had the time. Sorry if that last post came off as sounding unfriendly. :-)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, it wouldn't be as simple as mirroring it... And it's not that I don't feel like doing it, it's just that time is running out and I've got a lot of stuff to complete. I'd totally give it a shot if I had the time. Sorry if that last post came off as sounding unfriendly. :-)
    Don't worry, I didn't see it as unfriendly.
    I'm not a modeler myself yet so I'm not completely aware of the restrictions you're working under :O
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Don't worry, I didn't see it as unfriendly.
    I'm not a modeler myself yet so I'm not completely aware of the restrictions you're working under :O

No worries. I might have time to try that out after the contest deadline, tho, so we'll see. :-)
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit. I was skeptical of the concept at first, but this is so damn cool.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Galago wrote: »
    Holy shit. I was skeptical of the concept at first, but this is so damn cool.

Thanks man! Some concepts are hard to sell unless you can see them in action. :-)
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing progress:

Finished laying out UVs, baked in some Ambient Occlusion. and threw down some base colors. These are by no means the final textures, just a work-in-progress. Enjoy!

bbolshevik9.jpg
  • Von Krieger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it the positioning/lighting, or are the two items actually differing colors?
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your going to give the hammer's head a texture...right?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jgoodroad -
    threw down some base colors. These are by no means the final textures, just a work-in-progress.

@ Thrilho - Now that I see it with a base color I really like the metallic bands and handle versus the belts on the other arm. Sets them apart and looks great!
  • TankTaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is extremely, supremely awesome, but I hope you choose more simple colours, as too many and different may, with the already intricate design, make the objects overall very cluttered.

Maybe try picking simple browns from the TF2 colour scheme?

Picking similar colours for both weapons would tie them together despite their widely different appearances.

I also feel that the metal attached to the handle on the sickle weapon is a bit too thin and not very TF2-ish. I'd like it a bit more clunky or something.

But then again I'm a nobody :P
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Thrilho - Now that I see it with a base color I really like the metallic bands and handle versus the belts on the other arm. Sets them apart and looks great!

Thanks! I was hoping that having a little variety between the two hands would make this a unique Heavy item. :-)
    Is it the positioning/lighting, or are the two items actually differing colors?

Oh, definitely. I'm hoping to make them distinct from each other.
    your going to give the hammer's head a texture...right?

Of course! :-)
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    Clue_Guns_Pack.png

apparently.

Fun naming game!

AK-46/Type 56 G36C FN F2000 M16 Steyr AUG
    MP5SD3 FAMAS F1 XM8 L85A1 FN SCAR
    SVD Dragunov M82A1 Remington 870 DP-28 SMLE Lee-Enfield
    Flintlock Pistol FN P90 Micro Uzi G36 M67 Frag
    Beretta 92 HK USP FN Five-SeveN Desert Eagle Glock 17

With all due respect, sir, I don't think you're correct. This image contains everything from colonial-era weaponry to stuff that the US Army is still experimenting with. Seriously, if they have XM8s in Cuba (the X is for Experimental) then I'll eat mah hat.

This seems to be just an image of distinctive gun silhouettes. The Flintlock is ancient, the Lee-Enfield and DP-28 are WWII weapons, there are Russian, Austrian, French, German, Belgian, and more weapons in this list. I think it's pretty inaccurate.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SVD Dragunov M82A1 Remington 870 DP-28 SMLE Lee-Enfield

Actually, since you mentioned it, I'm going to be basing my shotgun replacement on the Remington 870. Based on some of the research I've been doing, it seems like Cuba doesn't have much in the way of unique shotguns from the TF2 time period, but they did import/receive weapons from many other places. The trick will be to make the gun look like it was owned by a Cuban, I suppose.
  • tylerburrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Batterin' Bolshevik is genius.
  • Kalva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to be a dick or anything, but the XM8 is an old prototype that was passed up for the M4 carbine. The XM8 just looks neat, it isn't really a grand super secret military rifle that's still in testing, they're done with the thing, and it loss to the M4. =.=;
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kalva wrote: »
    Not to be a dick or anything, but the XM8 is an old prototype that was passed up for the M4 carbine. The XM8 just looks neat, it isn't really a grand super secret military rifle that's still in testing, they're done with the thing, and it loss to the M4. =.=;

That's not entirely accurate. It's actually a fairly recent prototype, and it was to replace the M4. The project was put on hold, however, for two reasons-

1) The US Army is a bunch of cheapskates. There, I said it >.< We've been using the M16/M4 for going on forty years now, it's time to UPGRADE.

2) The XM8 is made almost entirely of plasic... and as it turns out, if you do sustained automatic fire... the gun kinda starts melting XD

It isn't like they went head to head and the top brass said "the M4 is better." They went head to head, and the top brass said, "this isn't better enough for us to spend the money replacing all these M4s and M16s."
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, since you mentioned it, I'm going to be basing my shotgun replacement on the Remington 870. Based on some of the research I've been doing, it seems like Cuba doesn't have much in the way of unique shotguns from the TF2 time period, but they did import/receive weapons from many other places. The trick will be to make the gun look like it was owned by a Cuban, I suppose.

Just a thought, but if you want to make it feel unique, and still stay true to the time period... how about a bolt-action shotgun?model410.jpg
    I know it's not the focus of this contest to come up with gameplay elements, but bolt-action shotguns usually have better accuracy and longer range- which would make it a great compliment to the minigun with its awful accuracy and medium to short range.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a thought, but if you want to make it feel unique, and still stay true to the time period... how about a bolt-action shotgun?model410.jpg
    I know it's not the focus of this contest to come up with gameplay elements, but bolt-action shotguns usually have better accuracy and longer range- which would make it a great compliment to the minigun with its awful accuracy and medium to short range.

Actually, I chose that model partly due to the similarities it has to Heavy's current shotgun. I don't have enough time left to worry about custom animations, so I need something that will reload the same way as the original. Thanks for the idea, though!
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mix the rifle with a "cuban" shotgun design...or just take the rifle, add the reloading chamber and pump...then your rifle is now a SHOTGUN! then you just modify for it to fit your theme and BAM!
    thar you go!