Home General Discussion

MINECRAFT

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    JFletch, the jar is in \users\<username>\appdata\roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar

:p
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, cool, thanks. :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, it's a bit messy, I hope that he'll add support for easily adding custom textures some day soon enough.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    I think the first thing I'm going to do in the new update is build a wooden house.
    In hell.

QTF!

swampbug - I've had Minecraft dreams almost every night, glad I'm not the only one going loopy having dreams in blockmode.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I recall something to do with minecraft in last night's dream.

Unfortunately after i wake up, i always forget 90% of my dreams. :[
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    I don't get minecraft...

Neither do I, though I've never played it, so can someone succinctly summarise what is so great about it?

Not fooling around here, I really would like someone to explain its appeal. Nobody can seem to explain why its so great, and I'm hesitant to pay for it at this stage.

It just seems like some sort of big level editor to me...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, that's basically it. It's a stylized sandbox game world, but you can build/destroy anywhere. And it has leveling of a sort; if you find the right resources you can build various stronger/faster/more-interesting tools.

I think it really appeals at a deep level to the obsessive-compulsive side in us all, whether your obsession is large or small. And the creative side as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    plus there are monsters in Singleplayer, that's really the big draw for me, survival.

Slimes were removed because they were broke, I never got to fight them but it seems they would swarm mines. A creeper makes an appearance, he's one of the most feared monsters in the game, he's stealthy and explodes when gets close to you
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdny42neFgQ&amp;feature=related[/ame]
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Oh noes! Is the Polycount server down? I was looking forward to working on my castle.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    plus there are monsters in Singleplayer, that's really the big draw for me, survival.

Slimes were removed because they were broke, I never got to fight them but it seems they would swarm mines. A creeper makes an appearance, he's one of the most feared monsters in the game, he's stealthy and explodes when gets close to you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdny42neFgQ&feature=related

Yeah I love the singleplayer a lot more too. I've definitely spent more time with it.

When I play multi I just have nothing to do. Hopefully after the Halloween update survival multi will be fixed and require actual survival. That will be cool. People will actually group up to mine and stuff to help stay alive.:)

I also had a Minecraft dream the other night. I was in some cube caves with a sword and started to get attacked by a bunch of creepers and zombies. It was very faithful to the game in terms of visuals. I don't remember it being too scary. However, the torches went out and I had to place them again. I was able to kill the creepers and stuff pretty easily without taking damage.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm now that there is a polycount server might have to get this. Does the server get its trolls?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, occasionally. Not too bad tho.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The PC server should have a whitelist.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    is the server still down?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Hey Eld, do you need to save your environment pack as a transparent png? because you posted it as a jpg and so i think it won't work :).

great pack btw!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I managed to get my erstwhile non-gamer girlfriend hooked. Now I'm trying to decide whether to celebrate or lament this achievement. o_O
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Japhir wrote: »
    Hey Eld, do you need to save your environment pack as a transparent png? because you posted it as a jpg and so i think it won't work :).

great pack btw!

I managed to confuse most people when it came to this, the jpg's are just for showing, the real stuff in png's are nicely packed in a zip here:

www.agonyart.com/file/eldpack_v2.zip
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hmm now that there is a polycount server might have to get this. Does the server get its trolls?

I don't know. I'm banned for making a gaint penis out of cobble stone..........grumble grumble :(
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    mickyg wrote: »
    Not fooling around here, I really would like someone to explain its appeal.
    In single-player there's a really captivating balance between rushing to mine as much resources as you can during the day and waiting out the night in a meager little shelter, listening to zombies surround you. Then as you start building more, night time becomes time for you to furiously craft as much as you can. Weapons, tools, ore, etc. Eventually you end up with an impenetrable fortress and it's really satisfying to know that you had to work, block by block, to forge out a place in the world amidst all the monsters.

It's surprisingly immersive. This comic perfectly describes my experience with it.

Right now I think the main problem is once you've figured out basic crafting, it's reeeeeeaaaaaaally easy and just turns into a tedious level editor.

I hope the Halloween update puts in the option to crank the difficulty up a ton.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm banned for making a gaint penis out of cobble stone..........grumble grumble :(

a classy gent would of used gold or obsidian instead of cobble.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    On top of what acc just said, I found that after I built up my castle I started digging down and I found a massive cavern with lava and water and huge cache of minerals as well as a zombie and skeleton spawner. It was intense!! I felt nervous and excited at the same time as I began exploring and I think that is what keeps bringing me back to minecraft.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Bah Im just gonna cave in and buy it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the server ever going to come back up? Or is it up and it's just not letting me connect?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    a classy gent would of used gold or obsidian instead of cobble.

Lol...I went on the server for 10 mins to have a look about. So I didnt have time to find "classy" resources. Then desided to write my name. Did the 88 bit got bored, made penis, Bam, got banned. awesome eh. I bet if I'd made a huge golden phallus people would have worshipped it. As it is i'm an outcast.

@acc and evilblah:

I started out making a huge castle, etc in the first few days of play. But now I find I spend 90% of the time underground. I only surface to get wood and meat. I think that the huge caverns and especially spawners have a great puzzle element to them. Trying to figure out how to clear an area and get torches everywhere is a tough task sometimes. And with spawners I'm currently trying to figure out the perfect way to create a drowning deathtrap using the fewest ammounts of water blocks as possible and also getting all the goodies to flow out of the trap properely. sometime i wish I had sloping blocks.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I bought it a few days ago and I'm seriously hooked. The world I'm playing got really foggy today, I got lost and felt a genuine sense of loss that I couldn't get back home.

I built a shelter and camped out for the night, but a Creeper pounced on me the next morning - killing me. When I respawned again I started to walk through the fog and... There was my home!

I'm trying not to research crafting recipies too much, it's fun to just see what happens when you experiment.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Gmanx wrote: »
    I bought it a few days ago and I'm seriously hooked. The world I'm playing got really foggy today, I got lost and felt a genuine sense of loss that I couldn't get back home.

I built a shelter and camped out for the night, but a Creeper pounced on me the next morning - killing me. When I respawned again I started to walk through the fog and... There was my home!

I'm trying not to research crafting recipies too much, it's fun to just see what happens when you experiment.

Yeah. It is good to figure things out yourself. btw: the fog happened because you pressed F. It changes the draw distance you can turn it off :)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just build cages around spawners ^^
    Still waiting to find my first record for the jukebox
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Man , where did the last 4 hours go?

I dug so far I came up under the sea and had to swim back to shore, only it was a different shore, and I had to build a boat to find my spawn/castle, spent a good 10 minutes boating around the shoreline to find it.

Blimey, gives you a sense of scale.

Still haven't found any more iron or diamond, but plenty of red stuff, which I've not found a use for yet, and tons of coal. :poly141:

Disco Stu wrote: »
    I just build cages around spawners ^^
    Still waiting to find my first record for the jukebox

I got a record but no jukebox, think I got it from a creeper. :P
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Made a cropped version of the map cheese rendered out ALL day.
    mc-polycount-001.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are still able to get onto the server? Did I get banned or something? If so then why?

EDIT: Well right after I post this I was able to get on after not being able to all day. Silly.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Cheers for the map, because of that I could finally locate my home. :)
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the map. Looks awesome!

It's wild how much has been built. Really speaks to minecraft as a media for creative outlet and just how massive this game can be.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Someone deleted the top half of my tower... What a hater. Just one more thing to like less about multi...:shifty:
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Someone deleted the top half of my tower... What a hater. Just one more thing to like less about multi...:shifty:

I told you that no one did that before you raged! It was because of the server crash. When I went on today half of my sky castle was how it was two days ago and the other half was how it was last night before the crash.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I told you that no one did that before you raged! It was because of the server crash. When I went on today half of my sky castle was how it was two days ago and the other half was how it was last night before the crash.

Once a man gets into a minecraft rage, nothing can bring him down.

I half figured it was that, because it seems unfinished rather than destroyed. How does the server have like 20x more stuff overall then? Only some parts were affected? Either way, I don't want to rebuild it. It was already a replica of my SP tower rebuilt on the server. Blah, maybe I will make some edits or just cap it off short.

Do we not have a vent channel or anything for more convenient communication while in game?
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    as far as i know records drop when creepers get killed by skeletons.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, a good sign of a crash is the partial map save, where some chunks will have saved and others not, thus those chunks being a way older save.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Made a cropped version of the map cheese rendered out ALL day.

ha the part to the east (top right) was me i just took a boat and sailed away :D
    btw discostu does all the exotic stuff i brought you grow in the icey regions of polycountville?

what did you use to render out the scene?
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well as you can see i have a lot of trees on my house by now but not much more yet ^^
    Tried to build a subway line to greenland but the tracks wont work properly :(
    We need mp with zombys, build castles togheter and raid their empires!
    Also id appreciate if the exploding zombies would just blow up randomly and not when touching you.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Yeah. It is good to figure things out yourself. btw: the fog happened because you pressed F. It changes the draw distance you can turn it off :)

'F' for fog... D'oh! (face-palm) Thanks! I love the little touches like right-clicking on inventory multiples selects half of them, making it easier to sub-divide them when crafting. I found a lot of redstone lately, so I'm gonna toy with that a while.

Anyone know if it's likely that more music will be added? I like the style of it, but there just isn't enough variety - it's starting to loop a lot now.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    If you follow the glass 'stairway to heaven' near one of the spawn exits, it'll bring you past lots of cool structures people haven't been seeing nearly enough considering how epic a lot of them are.

But you might want to keep your draw distance down until you reach the end of it since the spawn area crashes like crazy with long distances.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Ah that was fun. I made a really long bridge and spent most of my time building a box over a cave entrance I found by accident while mining for more blocks. It was so deep and had lots of rooms so I ended up lost for ages. Eventually I dug my way up and formed a waterfall that you can ride up and down.

Follow the bridge to the end to reach the cave. You're welcome to whatever you find down there.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    That looks soo purdy :).

How 2 bloom? (lol at goblin_au)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Here's another:
    waterpark_tease04.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I've tried repeated to play some more on the PC server, but it keeps crashing on me, especially around / in my floating castle. :(
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    http://moarminecraft.net/
    map renderer. upload your map and you get a google map version available to view when complete. :D
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    I'm still wondering about Minecraft...I see people around going crazy for it. But when I look at it, I feel I would have fun for 1 hour or so, then get bored... am I missing something? O.o;;;;
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaagan, change your view distance from Far to Normal or Low. Having it on far has been causing crashes for a lot of people.

EzMeow, I think what you're missing is actually PLAYING the game. You can't determine how fun a game is to you when you're just looking at screenshots or videos.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Ok I'm trying it on the polycount serv~
    I'm just visiting for now :p
    This game need a map or at least a compass, I'm fucking lost xD