Home General Discussion

MINECRAFT

Replies

• zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    i feel like im asking something really stupid, but is there some way to get into a minecart? whenever i try to ride it i keep falling out....
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    If it is anything like a boat you gotta right-click it.

Has anyone built a powered-mine cart and ridden it?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. You can ride them. But I havent got that far yet. So I dont know how its done. Maybe its a mod.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmUO5YUPyI[/ame]
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    evilblah wrote: »
    If it is anything like a boat you gotta right-click it.

Has anyone built a powered-mine cart and ridden it?

Not yet. Hopefully you can attach powered mine carts to non-powered ones and make a train of sorts. I was talking with one of the guys on the Cryptic server about the idea of, when carts work in MP, using powered + non-powered carts to make a transit system to cover the larger distances between some of the locations on the server. We've got the "OCD Highway" going along the main east / west path for the server, and a looping track system, with off-shoots and "stations", would be perfect for it. :poly124:
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, right clicking on a minecart worked, thanks. you cant get into a minecart that has a furnace in it tho, and i dont know about making trains. when you click on a powered mine cart, it just starts moving... =\
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about putting a powered mine cart behind a standard mine cart and turning on the powered one and jumping into the standard one? I think a transit cart system would be sick! Even more so in multiplayer.

Can you imagine joining a server and there is just a bus stop in front of you. As you look around a train made of carts pulls up in front of you and when you get on it takes you to a magical wonderland of awesome and glory!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I think transit systems would be awesome. But if he is going to add something like that I think it would need corner sections for the track. Not essential of course. But it would make sense. Although adding curved pieces totally goes against everything else in the game. hmmm...dunno. Maybe not then.

btw. When I close my eyes, all I see is cubes. Maybe I need a break.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there already are corner sections tho.

Also, i kinda managed to make a train. If you put a powered cart behind a regular one, turn it on, and quickly jump into the regular one really quick you have a train! I always have to run a little to catch up tho. and i think you can switch tracks with redstone switches??? not sure about that.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Oh...yeah. there is corners. But I meant spanning over multiple blocks. Not a 90 degree turn within 1 box. So a longer curve. Banked corners would as be cool for the coasters. But this aint theme park world. So never mind.

Gmanx just posted this in the thread of awesomeness. Thought i'd post it here as well.

Minecraft 16 bit ALU!!!...wtf...Is there nothing this game can't do

Soon they'll work out how to play giant pong within minecraft. A game within a game. This could be ground breaking :P

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Oh...yeah. there is corners. But I meant spanning over multiple blocks. Not a 90 degree turn within 1 box. So a longer curve. Banked corners would as be cool for the coasters. But this aint theme park world. So never mind.

Gmanx just posted this in the thread of awesomeness. Thought i'd post it here as well.

Minecraft 16 bit ALU!!!...wtf...Is there nothing this game can't do

Soon they'll work out how to play giant pong within minecraft. A game within a game. This could be ground breaking :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug

I love how it's setup from the very basics of hardware once it was made possible, it's like in dwarf fortress, however computers in games have been done before :P

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-raPE9Grs[/ame]
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    done powered minecarts that push you around and switches to change rail direction etc. but upwards pushing is a bit tricky.

i only tried to be pushed by one engine cart, so im not sure if two work better or differently. using them to drive empty carts works great, just when youre in them... not always.
    here are my conclusion - they might not be correct! i dont know.

minecraftCarts.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Slick texture mods, eld! It was the first thing I thought of doing when I opened the game last night for the first time. Glad to see it can be done. Looks like I have a new weekend project :P

I haven't really poked around yet with the modding side yet, but where does it store all the data for the game locally? So I can throw in some custom textures myself.

I played for a good portion of last night, I'm already having withdrawls. I just like how everything is so primitive when you start out, build a house out of dirt use wooden tools and weapons. I could see myself enjoying this game even more if the textures were just that little bit prettier.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't got hooked on it yet, If someone who can convince me to play it more feel free to spam me.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I messed around with the character skinning a little. Made my homage to Nacho Libre. :)

http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=deanmalus
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Emil, they'll be in
    \users\<username>\appdata\roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar <-- open as a zip archive

All the textures are PNGs.

Also, as you've probably noticed from eld's shots, the reskins don't have to be at source resolution (the pack I'm currently using is 512x512, instead of 256x256)
  • XenoKratios
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    God this game is addictive. It's what Saurbraten (Cube 2) could have been if only the developer focused on game play rather than shiny graphics.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RAD! Thanks, Teck. I figured upping the resolution wouldn't be a problem but it's cool to have that confirmed.
    Texture time!

I wonder how easy it would be to import new weapons/player/creature models.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    LoTekK wrote: »
    Emil, they'll be in
    \users\<username>\appdata\roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar <-- open as a zip archive

All the textures are PNGs.

Also, as you've probably noticed from eld's shots, the reskins don't have to be at source resolution (the pack I'm currently using is 512x512, instead of 256x256)

Actually, my stuff is at source resolution (256x256) (16x16 tiles) :P

And there are a few problems with using bigger resolutions, because minecraft generates water, lava and fire procedurally at specific pixel locations, they'll be generated over other tiles if you have a bigger tileset, so the game will use static non-moving versions of those that you've made yourself in bigger tilesets.

It's a confirmed issue though and will be fixed some day.

issue:

DokusGold.jpg?t=1285516795
  • Rens
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    So when can we download your texture pack eld? Looking great. :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    This weekend most likely, will be able to finish up the terrain those days.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, cheers, didn't know about that glitch (been using the DOKU texture pack, but haven't built any resource stacks yet, so I haven't encountered it). Also, yeah, the auto-resize on your image totally messed with my head, so I thought it was higher res than it actually is. Really nice work on it :D
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    eld wrote: »
    I love how it's setup from the very basics of hardware once it was made possible, it's like in dwarf fortress, however computers in games have been done before :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-raPE9Grs

When I said "It could be ground breaking :P" no one got it eh? Minecraft..... ground breaking.....hmm....nevermind, it was terrible.

I wonder if a computer within a computer game or other software could ever exceed the processing power of the computer its running on....Twilight zone shit that.

Sweet texture mod btw eld. Can't wait to see it finished.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

:poly142::poly142::poly142::poly142:

crazy

I'm liking the texture pack eld, definitely gonna download it!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Something to look forward to setting up once I make enough TNT. Theres a few vids that are similar and with much more TNT, but i like this one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAP3aNXp97M[/ame]
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like the new water.
    I mean, it's cool that it flows and stuff, but it's impossible to flood anything. I'm trying to flood part of the massive island i'm building on (Trying to make a massive castle in the mountains, completely surrounded by water) But it just can't be done with the water system currently in place.
    Meh
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Well you can still flood things, but you'll need alot of waterblocks and buckets. =\
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. I think some of the block like the cobbles, should be impermeable so you can create pools with just one water block. Another way might be to create a huge waterfall that breaks the water up into a larger flow around your castle.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Just read that the dude gets 350k dollahrz every day. Thats crazy hehe.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah its crazy,

funny when you think about it, for a triple-A title it would be a complete failure, but for an indie game it is a giant success.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    So, I wonder when Activision and EA will be taking some of their thousands of individual, skilled programmers and setting them up to experiment and incubate new game ideas in-house, with the hope that 1/100 of them can produce something awesome. . . . yep, never. Rock on, indies.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @doc rob - I wish more companies would try that. When I got pulled in at Disney Interactive it was on a cool project created by my boss Chris Takami(Creative Director). The project was called, 'Blue Sky Think Tank.' We would brainstorm tons of ideas and have pitch meetings every other Thursday. My crew actually came up with the original Epic Mickey concept years before Warren Specter's studio picked it up. We also had a few other titles that were pretty well received and I am hoping to hear that they are in development somewhere!

Either way, Notch is doing any amazing job and even where the game is, its addicting! I can't wait to see what else he adds. It can only make it better! Wish Notch could see this thread and know how other artists and designers felt about what he has done!!

Enough from me.
    -bair
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure he was praised at both bungie and valve during his invitations there.

I'm guessing he'll move even more towards the accessable first person dwarf fortress route he has been taking now, so imagine features from dwarf fortress, and then imagine them in minecraft.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eld - man, i hope so. the one problem i forsee... the better minecraft gets... the less productive the rest of the world is going to become!! Oh, I got your item textures in the game with DOKU's RPG tile set... Has completely changed how the game feels for me! I dig it! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see your finished terrain tiles!

-bair
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started to dick about with custom textures last night and wanted to up-res my textures as a test, but it would crash Minecraft if I used a terrain.png file that was larger than 512x512 (I tried a 1024x1024 - initially just re-sizing the original texture sheet as a test).

Has anyone had any success bringing in a bigger texture sheet?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have the link handy right now, but there was a discussion on the minecraft forums about that. Seems at the moment you need to futz around with some settings in the one of the files inside minecraft.jar. Bit of a pain in the ass, and doesn't get around the problem of water and fire tiles showing up in the corners of some of the resized tiles.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Man it's been sucking my time lately. Will post some stuff soon because I have been working on like water transportation and stuff, its fun :).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    SgY4e.png

I figured out a way to make water lights or bubbles to use for air
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOW?!? there is a really deep spot right next to my island fortress that I want to mine out but I cant stay down long enough to finish. If I could build an air system, that would be sick!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its pretty basic 2 3x3 squares, then once its done, put a hole in the bottom
    ._._._.
    |_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|

._._._.
    |_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    I'm hooked on this damn game, barely touched TF2 the last few days and I was so excited about the update, but... MUST. DIG.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think I'm going to open up my server to anyone.

64.151.6.120:25565

Here's the area generated so far.
    it says "HI MOM" and "TAll"
    EFDTZ.png
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i guess that makes sense. ha! this game is too good.

btw, here is a podcast with notch talking about minecraft of course.

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/09/indiegamescom_podcast_2_minecr.html
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I really hate that I'm only playing singleplayer, want to be able to have people visiting my world and all, but I also want to be sure that when I log back in that my buildings isn't like sponge, full of holes. Hope the proper multi-survival mode is soon finished, so I can play around in a world as a proper new-world pioneer. :)

Started a new game/world, and got a completely different type of terrain, this time with large mountains and huge half caves. Thought it was cool, until I got lost and tried to climb a mountain to see where my base was and couldn't see anything because off the mountain tops ;) Ended up creating a fire ring around my valley, on the top of the mountain range.

Oh and man did I have a scare, was deep underground and digging a tunnel upwards and suddenly broke though into a pocket...of lava. Damn I ran like made downwards, with the hot stuff right on my tail. Now I make sure to only dig holes in the ceiling in front of me and never just above. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    good thing lava is slow and you can just slam a block down.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Why is this game still killing my life?

"I should work on that model..."

Looks at Minecraft folder*

double click*

"Wonder if I can make this tree connect to another tree..."
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah...can't stop playing!!!!

Warning!...was digging my may back to surface. Found a cave of sand (with sand suspended to make aroof). So I thought "ah. that must be a way out" so dug one of the sand blocks above me....big mistake.....Caused a huge chain reaction and the whole beach came down on my head, crushing me to death!. Frantically ran back to where I was with a shovel to try and dig my stuff up. but it was gone. I didn't realise sand worked like that. i thought the sand only effected the sand above it not surrounding it as well. Lesson learned. Maybe gravel works like that as well.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    yeah, it does :D reading this thread always makes me start it... crap.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this game more addicting than WoW or what?