Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contrails wrote: »
    OK I changed it to read RED (and when I do the blue skin BLU) - I'm still experimenting with what I want to put on it... just went through the list of companies over at the TF2 wiki - none of those seem to work
    I think you should then either come up with your own companies for each team, or just scrap the logo entirely.

Making your own Company logos makes your weapon a lot more unique and a lot more interesting.
    However if you can't come up with anything other than Mann Co or RED/BLU, it would probably still look better without any logo at all.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But, I've tried Modeling. No seriously, I have. And I barely understand it and I have tried it. I cannot do anything.
    The only things I am good at is texturing models.
    Now that, I know.

Try starting off easy. If you really have some ideas, put them on paper or something. Draw them out. get a picture of that weapon off goggle. Put it into your background on your modeling software, and model it from that reference. Youtube!
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Bishop wrote: »
    Try starting off easy. If you really have some ideas, put them on paper or something. Draw them out. get a picture of that weapon off goggle. Put it into your background on your modeling software, and model it from that reference. Youtube!
    Thats the way I tried.
    I'm just gonna take modelling as a NO for now.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try to do that too when I start.
    I'm still trying to get my hands on a particular software, hopefully I'll have it soon.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try to do that too when I start.
    I'm still trying to get my hands on a particular software, hopefully I'll have it soon.

If you aim to go to a professional standing, I suggest buying 3ds or Maya. In the meanwhile, if this is a hobby, and you don't have that type of money, there's nothing wrong with starting with a 2.5v Blender. The principals and such apply. Blender won't have the same interface, but it will help you get started with the fundimentals until you are able to get a commercial software. Blender may not be on par with the industry, but you can easily migrate towards the higher products.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    I think you should then either come up with your own companies for each team, or just scrap the logo entirely.

I think I'm going to stick with RED and BLU and add the periods in - it makes more sense for the canteen to have the wearer's affiliation on it (like how US canteens say U.S.) than the logo of the company that made it

As for learning how to model, the one thing that I can't stress enough is don't give up - when I was learning it seemed everything I made would turn out to be a disaster. (and it still does sometimes :) ) watch some tutorials, try to understand what they're doing and why and get practice with it.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you aim to go to a professional standing, I suggest buying 3ds or Maya. In the meanwhile, if this is a hobby, and you don't have that type of money, there's nothing wrong with starting with a 2.5v Blender. The principals and such apply. Blender won't have the same interface, but it will help you get started with the fundimentals until you are able to get a commercial software. Blender may not be on par with the industry, but you can easily migrate towards the higher products.

People seem to be pretty adamant about 3DS max being better than Maya (also there's the fact that there are a lot more tutorials for 3DS).
    I use Blender and I found this tutorial to be VERY helpful when I started out (all of about 4 weeks ago)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363481
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ learning how to model: Personally I tried out several programs: Blender, Max and XSI before settling on the XSI mod tool as it was the free option that I found more intuitive to use. After that it was/still is a case of persisting until I get the shapes I want to make, picking up techniques as I go. I'm now looking to move up to something else as I'm hitting the limits in place that make it free.

@Bishop: Well I've implemented something I was considering doing that breaks up the green at the front, but I could do with a fresh pair of eyes to tell me if I've gone further than necessary.

@Contrails: That's a fine little item you have there, I wonder though, is it going to blend in with the Soldier's uniform too much with matching colours? Or have you already found a place to put it where that doesn't happen?

I hadn't thought of that area being bell-shaped, I'd been thinking it looked like a flower pot. Regardless I've had a play around with that area and the bell comment has given me some rather bizarre inspiration regarding a possible name for this thing...

Here's an update on my launcher, this time with some quick base colours for testing (not final model or UVs). Pretty much everything has been tweaked or changed in some way, and bits that don't really work with the new shapes are gone. The bit I'm most unsure about at the moment is the area above the main handle, it's quite busy there. I'm not sure if I should omit the straps.

Again any comments are welcome.

tf2_bazooka_v2_wip02_by_elbagast-d2xn83c.png
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast
    That is fantastic. I do like the straps on it, except the slanted one looks a little off to me. It's position is a little awkward, and in real life if it were in that position it would fall back straight up and down, which would look kinda cool if you did that. The sight looks a little thick too, but the position and width are fine.
    My only other complaint, really isn't much of a complaint at all, it's that the view model position (and the world a little) are a little off place, but I'm sure those aren't final, but it grabbed my attention nonetheless.
    Speaking of fantastic did you submit the scattergun you made? If you did you should submit this too when it's done.(although I would love a download link...I want it... :) )
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The straps above the handle make it look nice - also the sight, that's a nice little touch.

What you could do is go without is the 3rd larger strap around the middle portion. 2 seems to be enough since it's on the backside. The third one is just taking alot of attention since it's the largest, in an unesessary area, and is slightly tilted.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to stick with RED and BLU and add the periods in - it makes more sense for the canteen to have the wearer's affiliation on it (like how US canteens say U.S.) than the logo of the company that made it
    Ah, it is good when some people know not to take everything I say as the full truth and nothing but the truth :P

I do tend to be a good critic, but I do make mistakes.
    Good that you had enough knowledge to disprove my claim.
    As for learning how to model, the one thing that I can't stress enough is don't give up - when I was learning it seemed everything I made would turn out to be a disaster. (and it still does sometimes :) ) watch some tutorials, try to understand what they're doing and why and get practice with it.
    Thanks.
    I've tried learning Blender before, but I've had issues finding good tutorials and one of the most thorough ones I went through was very hard to understand due to the person recording it having a thick Indian accent :S

I'm trying to get my hands on the Autodesk available to students now though, I'm making it my school project to try my best to make a Pyro hat and get it into TF2. Currently I only have the handpainted design though, and no scanner :(
    Ah, yes.
    I'm aware that most of the programs are very expensive, the guys at Facepunch recommended that I should get Autodesk available to students from this website though. http://students.autodesk.com/

I'm an art student, so I have my schools support at trying my best to learn 3d modeling as my school project.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, im making my first model so im a major noob at it. I suck at texturing, every texture i put on the model's rubbish.
    the model
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/679/95598446.jpg

any tips :D
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, im making my first model so im a major noob at it. I suck at texturing, every texture i put on the model's rubbish.
    the model

umm ummm ummmm what is this supposed to be? What class is it for?
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharky wrote: »
    a staple gun to replace the scouts pistol
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the model

To be honest, that looks easy to texture.
    Afterwards, of course.
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharky wrote: »
    its meant to be a staple gun, as a scout pistol replacement
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay then. It looks good! There is one thing that Im sure you thought of while making this. There originally was no scattergun for the scout. His primary weapon was.... A nailgun. they scrapped the weapon in favor of the scatter gun, so just keep that in mind if you intend on submitting it.
  • totaly not a spy
    selentic wrote: »
    British_Telephone_Booth_by_selentic.jpg

One of my buddies asked me to make this for him.

thats cool :poly142:, espeially if it whas like and new respawner the engineer could make, so when you died, you saw a map where you could choose an other respawn :)
    "erecting an respawn'"
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You still having problems with texturing?

In my own time, I haven't really been modeling. But I came up with ANOTHER way that I could contribute.

Textures.

Me and a friend decided to re-skin the Bonk! and try to make it an entirely new flavour(new type of effects)

Here is my friends one:

bonk__tropical_blast_by_captpancake-d2xv4st.png
    His deviant art is: http://captpancake.deviantart.com/

And I don't really have a picture of my labeling part of the texture yet, I will do that when I return back to my original computer. For now, here is an ingame screenshot of my texture:
    103603641-4.jpg
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs: Thats really cool looking! Unfortunately, if it does get made real, so many people will be hating on the fact that:
    A. Its just a reskin
    B. Its another Bonk drink
    I like it but the steam forums wont
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still having problems with texturing?
    no, i think i've sorted it thanks :D
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    So, a few questions, on this whole contribute thing. I'm thinking about making some models. I barely have seen any weapons on the thread, so my questions are more about them.

1) What size should I make the texture for a weapon? It says 512 on the page, but I could have sworn I saw some of their models having 1024.

2) Do I need to submit a viewmodel (the close-up 1st person view), and the version that other players will see? I noticed valve uses a different model for each. Just wanted to know if I'll have to make two different models with different poly counts. If it's just one model, should I model it as though it's being used up close, as a view model.

3) It's been touched upon for hats, but what about specular and normal maps for weapons? Do they accept both?

Thank in advance for the help. I'll post my weapons as they come.
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since the thread for this was buried without a response.

emd_sd40_2_source_by_selentic-d2xz5pn.png
  • ANDEWEGET
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ANDEWEGET polycounter lvl 6
    1) 1024 will do just fine.

2) AFAIK you only need one model, new update weapons use "c_" models which only have 1 version of the gun(quite hi-poly; Ambassador has 18878 Tris; bow has ca 13000; new axe for pyro has 5000). Just use as many as you need unless see 3.

3) Specular weapons are in the Alphalayer of your color map. You shouldnt use normalmaps unless modelling the detail is way too expensive(see Ambassador).

Lets see how quick the moderators are...
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not made much progress, other things have been eating my time, and the details are taking a back seat until I get the major shapes sorted out. I see nobody really liked the tilted strap, can't say I was too happy with it when I made it myself, but it seemed worth putting out there for other eyes to take a look at.

I decided to rebuild the mid section using that crazy piece of inspiration Contrails gave me...I wonder if anybody can figure out what it's meant to be without any prompting... I had hoped to have it to a little bigger but it clips noticably into his helmet (the limiting factor of a launcher with a wide mid section).

tf2_bazooka_v2_wip03_by_elbagast-d2y08pj.png

Feel free to tell me if I've gone crazy :poly142:

@RedSheep: Yeah I submitted the scattergun model, I've been contemplating releasing it as a mod so I'll post a link to it if I do.

Oddly enough the launcher is positioned in the same way as the others, it's just that the bone it uses is tilted slightly in the Soldier arms model, and that only seems to be noticeable when the model used isn't the Direct Hit, it seems they set it up for that.

@CWalkthroughs: Suddenly I'm reminded of the Pacific nuclear tests, like Bikini Atoll...

@3DRyan: I hope this helps:

1) Make larger textures then worry about what size they should be later - it's far easier to scale down than it is up. You'll also find it much easier to work with.

2) Build your model to a level of detail that looks right in first person, since everything they implement these days uses the same model for first and third person (c models). This also means a working view model isn't necessary for contributing - but depending on what you're replacing you may have to build one anyway to test your creation (or if you intend to release it as a mod).

3) All weapons have a specular map, they're usually in the alpha channel of the weapon texture VTF. On the other hand very few weapons have normal maps, they seem to be saved for when they want to add detail that would be ridiculously high poly, but gives character to the weapon (e.g. the engraving on the Ambassador and Frontier Justice). If all your normal map does is something basic like add detail to a couple of screws, then you should probably just bake the AO into a flat texture instead (e.g. the screws on the Force-a-Nature).

@selentic: That's quite a bit more detail than the regular train, is it for a specific map or just something you felt like making?
  • M-NINJA
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »
    @selentic: That's quite a bit more detail than the regular train, is it for a specific map or just something you felt like making?

I thought the stock tf2 trains were pretty bad so I went and made my own. They're not really for specific maps, just things I've been releasing.
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
    @Elbagast Nice Liberty Bell you got going there.
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    @elbaghast: Thanks for the quick response! I've noted all the stuff you said. I always start off working on my textures at 2048x2048, but what size should I have the textures at for when I turn it in to valve?
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1024x1024 is realistically going to be the largest you can submit at since there's a restriction on contributions that no file inside the ZIP files you send can have an uncompressed size greater than 4MB. This was something that caused issues at the end of the polypack contest, since most 1024x1024 PSD files with all the layers will come in more than this too, so you may have to do a lot of playing around to get your files to fit.

Personally I submit my weapon textures at 1024x1024 as a series of TGAs with colour (with all the highlights and details), AO, and specular (phongmask) seperate, since they each weigh in around 1 to 1.3MB. I include a version that has it all together too since that's what I use to make my VTF files. If I look into smaller texture sizes to see if the model can get away with it I put the files for that in too, and note it in the "anything else we should know" box.

@JimeeB: :thumbup:

@ANDEWEGET: Not fast enough... Keep in mind there's a bug in the VMT settings for cloaking that causes the HLMV polycounts for models to be doubled, so the Ambassador isn't quite so insanely high poly (though over 9000 for a gun its size is still nuts...).

I got a little sidetracked last night:

sidetracked_by_elbagast-d2y2kyc.png

Its meant to be something like this. At the moment it just needs a few finishing touches.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-NINJA wrote: »
    CWalkthroughs: Thats really cool looking! Unfortunately, if it does get made real, so many people will be hating on the fact that:
    A. Its just a reskin
    B. Its another Bonk drink
    I like it but the steam forums wont

Atleast its better than "Shit-a-Cola"

EDIT: My label.

my_bonk_label_by_cwalkthroughs-d2y2zet.png
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atleast its better than "Shit-a-Cola"

EDIT: My label.

my_bonk_label_by_cwalkthroughs-d2y2zet.png
    Ingredents:
    *Gun powder
    *Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of nothing
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, Ive been working on this for like an hour now, tell me what you think. This idea made me kind of laugh to myself.
    spaihat.jpg
    hehe...
    anyways, I have the sneaking suspicion that this has been done before...
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks elbaghast! I'll keep all that in mind.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast - interesting idea you've got going there... looks like a flower pot to me mainly because of the color but it being a liberty bell with a catchy name would definitely make it unique :)

When I said "bell" I was referring to the front where the rockets come out as in the front of a trumpet or trombone... good to see that miscommunication works out sometimes lol

I'm planning to put the canteen on the belt - it should contrast nicely with the brown down there, although it probably should be scaled up quite a bit to fit in with the huge packs

As for your hat, it reminds me of a trash can lid (oscar the grouch?) I might lower the rim a little more and make it a little less wide (interesting site too)

@sharky - looks like you're exclusively using primitives? Vary the shapes more and look at a tut or two.

blucanteen.png
    the finished BLU texture for the canteen

tamred.png

tamblu.png
    Demoman hat I've been working on... based on a tam o' shanter
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    It might look a little better if it was slightly bigger (at least at the bottom part) and lowered a little
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc wrote: »
    It might look a little better if it was slightly bigger (at least at the bottom part) and lowered a little
    I agree with this, it might looks a bit too much like the Spy's beret otherwise.

Perhaps you should skip the feather also?
    Although well made and not a bad addition to the hat itself, its similarity to the feather on the Hustler's Hallmark might make it feel a bit generic.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a bonk skin i started about 6 months ago but never really finished it, and now i have come back to it. looking for critique/ideas. i dont care for the types of radiation and want to change them, got ideas about what to replace them with?

coffee2j.jpg

coffeee.jpg

• totaly not a spy
    hey guys. im a noob who got a coupple of ideas and wondered what programs you used? + if you could give me some tips that could be great
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AAA_battery I really like the coffee. It's very well done and a nice idea. My only criticism is that the label/cardboard piece looks a little too fresh and new when compared to the cup. Perhaps a coffee stain on the cardboard? Great job.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a bonk skin i started about 6 months ago but never really finished it, and now i have come back to it. looking for critique/ideas. i dont care for the types of radiation and want to change them, got ideas about what to replace them with?

coffee2j.jpg

coffeee.jpg

OMG!!!!

I WANT TO MODIFY THAT SO BAD!

I like it. Is what I am trying to say, and I am saying: I want to make variation of skins!

Is it possible that I could have the texture and model so I can create my own texture and show you?

I just have so many ideas of coffee brands.

I would type them out, but I want to do something.

I mean, I can't model.

Yet.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG!!!!

I WANT TO MODIFY THAT SO BAD!

I like it. Is what I am trying to say, and I am saying: I want to make variation of skins!

Is it possible that I could have the texture and model so I can create my own texture and show you?

I just have so many ideas of coffee brands.

I would type them out, but I want to do something.

I mean, I can't model.

Yet.

sure, after i finish the texture and release it you can modify it in whatever way you want, just give me the credit i deserve.
  • Iron Clad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like that coffee addon for the scout, as well as the rocket launcher. That would make an impressive skin for the direct hit for sure, if not a community weapon.
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Here's my contribution: It's a three weapon spy pack. Modeling is done:

ceasefire_model_sheet.png
    So, the replacement for the revolver is The Ceasefire. It's description reads as:

"Our first item is a old west style revolver that stops even the most war-hardened veterans dead in their tracks. Said to have been used by General Custer in his Last Stand at Little Big Horn, this weapon will make its victim unable to move for a short amount of time, depending on where you hit the target. Head and torso shots will give you more time, as limb shots will yield significantly LESS time. This makes it the ideal weapon of choice for making a smooth getaway. The downside is that a specific target can only be affected once until they die and respawn, and your shots will do less damage than your trusty revolver. And, oh yea, no crits allowed."

+ On hit: Freezes target for a short time, based on where the target is hit. Target is affected once in one life.

- 25% Damage to target

- No critical hits

I'm trying to stay as close to Custer's real revolver on this, but it has a lot of engraved detail on it, much like the Ambassador. I'll take the detail down a bit, and vary the design so that they don't get confused for each other. This will be by far the hardest to detail in Zbrush. It will definitely push me to my limits.

instigator_model_sheet.png
    This one is the replacement for the sapper. Description:

"Enter the Instigator. This gem of an item takes the idea of your regular sapper and makes it a bit more distanced. That's right, you'll no longer have to get up close and personal with this baby, because it disables an engineer's equipment remotely. It's no matter if you're around a corner, or whether or not you're looking right at the blasted things, as long as you're within 40 feet of your targets, it'll sap any and all buildings that an engie has within that radius. However, take caution when using this device, because it takes a bit more time to fully destroy buildings. Also, it will emit an electrical current that will instantly blow your cover."

+ Remotely saps all enemy buildings within a 40 feet radius

-40% sap rate

- emits an electrical current that nullifies the user's disguise.

This guy is a mixture of a bunch of stuff I got when I googled "1940's technology". It's what you call "logical nonsense", where something looks like it makes sense and can be used for some task, but you don't know the actual tech behind it. As long as it's believable to an extent. The plane that rests over the top part is duct tape that the engineer has used to hold the bottom part of it together. Nothing works quite like duct tape. Zbrushing should be relatively easy on this one.

despiriter_model_sheet.png
    The Despiriter has a wonderous description:

"We've been told that this is probably NOT what King Ramses II called his favorite dagger, but it sounds really friggin cool, so why not? Backstabbing an enemy with this little number will release the tormented spirit of good ol' Ramses himself upon all who witness your crime, sending them into a helpless, frightened state that can only be cured by a hot cup of cocoa and a good crying session. The effect will wear off after about five seconds, which is more than enough time for you to finish off those who have their back turned to you and escape. WARNING: This weapon only works once during a lifetime, and every life you take after using it will take some of your life as well."

+ On hit: Puts all enemies that witness the backstab into a fear state for 5 seconds. Can only be used once in a life.

-30 health drained on wearer for every backstab after first initial stab.

It basically HAD to have it be curved. It just cries out sinister when you see it. It's a blend of a couple different references, but manages to read as Egyptian pretty well. The hilt will be engraved gold, and the round part at the top of the hilt will be the face of Ramses, carved into it.

I'm by no means a designer, so the pros and cons of these weapons may be a bit unbalanced. The description was done mainly just for fun though, the real importance to this is how they look. I'll make another post when the zbrushing is complete on all three.

Critiques and comments are of course, welcome. :)
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the revolver, very nice looking weapon. The Despiriter looks a little too intricate for TF2's style, which is rather simple and exaggerated. I think it may look better if the handle was thickened a little bit and the hand-guard made less thin and sharp. Also I think the hand-guard should point upwards, but that's just me.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks excellent, could you perhaps make the coffee sprite a little darker though?
    I just thought that making it darker might make it look less like coke.
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    @redsheep Yeah, I was just going off of reference for the despiriter. All very good legit comments. I'll have to give it some pondering time...
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some updates on coffee, but i might undo what i did, im not sure if its better or not.

coffeederp.jpg

i re did the coffee stains. i felt like their was to much, and it looked overly fake.
    i also brought out the color variations in the label a bit more, and fixed some ambient occlusion on the bottom of the cup.

Edit:

here is an in-game shot.

coffeederp2.jpg

and some stats:

883 Tris
    512x512 texture

i also made the sprite darker, but i didnet like it because it blended into the background to much in a lot of places. so sometimes it would be practical invisible when their was a shadow or dark area directly behind it.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some updates on coffee, but i might undo what i did, im not sure if its better or not.

i re did the coffee stains. i felt like their was to much, and it looked overly fake.
    i also brought out the color variations in the label a bit more, and fixed some ambient occlusion on the bottom of the cup.

and some stats:

883 Tris
    512x512 texture

i also made the sprite darker, but i didnet like it because it blended into the background to much in a lot of places. so sometimes it would be practical invisible when their was a shadow or dark area directly behind it.

The coffee is looking good. Are you going to do a crit-a-cola coffee too?