Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• acadiou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my ideas for a possibly demoman update.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acadiou/4840441001
    What do you think about it ?
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assigned the gun the exact same bones as the sticky launcher had, if that's what you meant. And I don't think that would cause my problem, cause I didn't mess with the hands at all, but I'm just guessing.
  • Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
    that looks awesome definatly submit that
  • acadiou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my ideas for a possibly demoman update.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acadiou/4840441001
    What do you think about it ?
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i recently started work on a medic melee weapon that I call the M.I.A.D. here is my first render (I'm in my early stages right now):
    MIADrender.jpg
    But I wanted to add a grip sort of thing to the handle and a strip of fabric to wrap around the needles at the top. sort of like this:
    MIADrendercloth.jpg
    (not nessescarily with those colors) But I have no idea how this can be achieved in 3dsmax. Can anybody help me?
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharky wrote: »
    But I have no idea how this can be achieved in 3dsmax.
    Nvm, figured it out.
    MIADrendercloth-1.jpg
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you'd want to learn how to use jiggle bones and make the syringes actually look like it has a liquid inside.
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop wrote: »
    Maybe you'd want to learn how to use jiggle bones and make the syringes actually look like it has a liquid inside.
    yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking, lol. If you could suggest a good tutorial, that would make my day :D.
  • Phones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharky wrote: »
    Nvm, figured it out.
    MIADrendercloth-1.jpg
    Hey, how DID you do that?
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phones wrote: »
    Hey, how DID you do that?
    made a tube, selected edit mesh from the Modifier list, clicked vertices, and moved the vertices into position. As for the part that curves out, I made a spline and used the extrude tool from the modifier list. Hope this helps :P
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    You should try using the Edit Poly, gives you a lot more options. Actually, is there any reason to use Edit/Editable Mesh instead of Poly?
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should try using the Edit Poly, gives you a lot more options. Actually, is there any reason to use Edit/Editable Mesh instead of Poly?
    lol that's what I meant to write, sorry.
    I always get those confused
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay got the skin for the red team:
    LethalInjectionRed.jpg
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks a lot better now with the texture. Why'd you decide to make all the syringes different sizes? I think it would look good if they were all uniform (except the one in the center could be taller or something), it would be like syringe claws. Also you are going to need to (pretend you are looking at the weapons profile) tilt the handle forward like this \ to avoid clipping in-game. Either that or he would have to hold it at a downward angle (which would look weird).
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    It looks a lot better now with the texture. Why'd you decide to make all the syringes different sizes? I think it would look good if they were all uniform (except the one in the center could be taller or something), it would be like syringe claws. Also you are going to need to (pretend you are looking at the weapons profile) tilt the handle forward like this \ to avoid clipping in-game. Either that or he would have to hold it at a downward angle (which would look weird).
    okay ummm I don't want to resize the tubes right now but is this what you meant by tilting the handle? LethalInjectionbent.jpg
    anyways, I appreciate the crits, so thanks. Oh, and, one more thing, do you know how to add jigglebones to liquids? :P
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i meant by tilting the handle was, do you know how gun handles are angled, not just straight up and down? They are angled forward, and so are the handles on the medics weapons. I wish I could help you with jigglebones, but I am as clueless as you are x]
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i meant by tilting the handle was, do you know how gun handles are angled, not just straight up and down? They are angled forward, and so are the handles on the medics weapons. I wish I could help you with jigglebones, but I am as clueless as you are x]
    awww it seems that no one knows how to jigglebone here... oh well. and as for the tilting I realized what I did wrong like a second after I posted that first attempt. alright, back to the drawing board.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just modelled this:
    Machete.png
    I'm gonna work on the textures tomarrow and put it in ingame afterwards.
  • Bakayoukai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bakayoukai polycounter lvl 8
    that looks like the blade from Book of Eli?
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bakayoukai wrote: »
    that looks like the blade from Book of Eli?

Exactly!
    That is what I modelled it after.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your model reminds me of this one http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/92878 (which coincidentally is also modeled after the same blade) But I actually like yous better, but I have one suggestion: I think that the bottom of the handle should be smoothed out and then it would be preeety awesome. :)

I made this recently, its modeled after the winchester M70 with Unertl scope. It was the weapon that a soldier used in the vietnam war whom had 80 confirmed kills in his first tour in vietnam. I pretty much only made the scope though because I figured that the normal sniper rifle body was good enough. here's the gun: http://texasbrigadearmory.com/images/m701200.jpg

sniperriflepic1.jpg?t=1282523274

sniperriflepic2.jpg?t=1282523315
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After looking at the actual picture of the gun you provided, http://texasbrigadearmory.com/images/m701200.jpg, I feel like the barrel needs to be a bit longer. other than that it looks pretty great :P
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, like I said I didn't alter the body that much, except for removing the scope. I could have but I just felt like it didn't make that much of a difference. But it should be easy enough to elongate the barrel so I might do that.
    and thanks :3
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, like I said I didn't alter the body that much, except for removing the scope. I could have but I just felt like it didn't make that much of a difference. But it should be easy enough to elongate the barrel so I might do that.
    and thanks :3
    lol, no problem since you gave me sugestions with mine :)
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I finished the worldmodel so its now finished.
    Here's the download link for those who want it: http://filesmelt.com/dl/scope.zip
    (it's an instant download)

If it doesn't work, some one tell me and I'll fix it.
  • IdleTard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RedSheep: Well, I don't think there is that much detail going on it, but I can see your point, it being too small to really notice at a distance. Let's see if the texture can help with that.

About the weight problem, it was something I didn't really noticed until you pointed it out, and now I can't unsee it, but as you said is a bit late now. Oh well, I'll keep thing like this in mind in the future.

@Chemical Alia: Thanks! About the handle part, I didn't want to deviate too much from the standard minigun. The original concept had another design for it but I couldn't get it to look like I wanted (AKA to not look like it would snap in half when carrying it) so I opted for this instead.

I also tried with some sights to place on top of the barrel guard and make it more interesting to look at, but they either stood too much or broke the design, so I went for something more subtle (a rail guard you can't really see in that pic)

About the texture, well, I'm no texturer so I don't really have much skill (or any whatsoever), but I'll try my best on this, I have a couple of ideas and we'll see how it turns out. Right now work eats most of my time so I'm going really slow, but I have some base colors for it:

260x6ky.jpg

I know black is somewhat boring, but I kinda liked the contrast it makes in the minigun with the white of the ammo drum, and tried to replicate it here. Also, I may ditch the pouch thing on the side, or make a version without it or something, I can't really see it fit after all.

Any crits would be very much appreciated.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @idletard
    I'm glad I actually said something worth while xD
    I'm also no good at texturing and I don't feel like there's much else can do texture-wise on my model, besides adding more edge highlights (which I may go and do in the future). So I opted to just be finished with it.

On your gun, personally I like the pack, but if you do wish to get rid of it I think you would have to need to put something else there or else It would look bare in that area. The problem is I don't know what would be placed there. coloring the buttons would look good, but not various colors. It would look the best for all red buttons (and all blue on blue team). Other than that all I can really suggest is some wear and tear, like some faint scratches and a couple spots of worn paint.
    There's not much else to really do, and if you do that you already would have a more diverse texture than the normal mini-gun, so it's not too much of a problem.
    Looking good though.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get why you covered up the CHAIN GUN's BARRELS which are the defining feature of the chaingun, with a box. It's like you're trying to hide the essence of the chaingun...
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I have to agree with n88tr on this one. Also, it's perfectly executed and all, but I must say...it's kinda phallic.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I'm gonna have to disagree. I think the minigun looks great, the box(or whatever you wanna call it) gives it a very interesting silhouette rather than just having the barrels exposed.
  • IdleTard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @n88tr: The reason for the barrel guard is because the gun is based on the PPSh-41, one of its defining things being the barrel guard design.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the box on around the mini-gun's barrels. And besides, if it weren't there then the barrels would have to be re-proportioned and then it would just end up being a mini-gun with 4 barrels and a different body, yielding a not as interesting model.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i like the box shape, but maybe pull it back some and let the barrels poke out some. I'd ditch the pouch, it feels out of place there and in general with the gun.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Agreed about removing the pouch
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ummm..... does anybody have the bonesaw viewmodel for me to work with? or maybe a decompiler?
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's gone a bit quiet in here...we can't be having that now, can we?

@Sharky: You'd be better off using the ubersaw as a reference and aiming to replace that to get it in game since you'll only have to mess around with one model that way (no viewmodel to worry about). There's some information about using the decompiler (and a link to it) here.

@IdleTard: I'm going to echo the others and say the little pouch is definately out of place. Also I personally think the corners of the box around the barrels could do with being rounded to be more like the one on the gun you're referencing. Have you considered adding holes in the top? It would mean you could see the barrels when the gun isn't spun up.

As for me, I've been a bit annoyed at some parts of the rocket launcher in my polypack contest entry, but didn't really have any ideas of how to go about fixing the offending parts...until now. Of course once I got started, I decided pretty much everything was looking at me funny, so almost everything is different so far:

TF2_Bazooka_V2_WIP01_by_Elbagast.png

Seeing as the major change is altering the shilouette to something that varies in width more, and that that was something a few people suggested, but I ended up ignoring because I couldn't think of a way of implementing it at the time (and that was then echoed in the feedback I got from Valve) I'd appriciate any crits on where I'm going with this.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give it some mroe variety, 'specially with the textures. Because at first glace, without inspecting it for even 10 seconds, you would think it's just an oddly coloured Direct Hit, until you get a closer look.

On top of that, I would enjoy blowing up some unlucky basterds with that thing.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    I have a few ideas to contribute, of my own. I just really wish I could model.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my uv learning is going very slowly

want to unwind and restart my tf2 sentry guns things... will post pics soon
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a few ideas to contribute, of my own. I just really wish I could model.

Modelling isn't quite that hard. Your lucky that TF2 uses simple shapes and such to create their models, not overly complicated, under a tri count of course, and can look like just about anything. You never know what you can do until you try. And once you get it to your liking, fix it to the characters hands, give it some maps, and put it in game. If your happy (and you know it) clap your hands and contribute it.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast, you could also try exaggerating the "bell" (for lack of a better term) a bit - its a big part of the silhouette and could help make it more distinct.

I've been working on a canteen for soldier, going on his belt... just stuck it in model viewer to see how it looks

canteen.png

canteenflats.png
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make the bottom of the canteen look more worn out than the top.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Material definition is off, Contrails.
    The patches/squares are used to define metal. For fabric it should be just be some subtle noise and not a lot more.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Material definition is off, Contrails.
    The patches/squares are used to define metal. For fabric it should be just be some subtle noise and not a lot more.

This. Maybe a stain or two would be good near the top or bottom, but the random colored patches look a bit silly.
  • elementbam38
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't put mann co on it thats been done so many times it just looks dumb now.
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @contrails you should put TF industries or Red Bread on there. Take one of the many "companies" the teams work for in the maps. Or in the videos! Make a reference that isnt MANN CO
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I changed it to read RED (and when I do the blue skin BLU) - I'm still experimenting with what I want to put on it... just went through the list of companies over at the TF2 wiki - none of those seem to work

Also removed the splotches, added dirt, a little noise - took a look at the character skins, seems to match pretty well - here's how it looks now:

canteencloth.png

Thanks for your feedback! :)
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contrails wrote: »
    OK I changed it to read RED (and when I do the blue skin BLU) - I'm still experimenting with what I want to put on it... just went through the list of companies over at the TF2 wiki - none of those seem to work

Also removed the splotches, added dirt, a little noise - took a look at the character skins, seems to match pretty well - here's how it looks now:

canteencloth.png

Thanks for your feedback! :)
    So much better! Simple yet effective. Underused and Original. Good job!
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps you could make it R.E.D. and B.L.U. to emphasize the fact that those are actual companies/factions or whatever, instead of just colors.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Bishop wrote: »
    Modelling isn't quite that hard. Your lucky that TF2 uses simple shapes and such to create their models, not overly complicated, under a tri count of course, and can look like just about anything. You never know what you can do until you try. And once you get it to your liking, fix it to the characters hands, give it some maps, and put it in game. If your happy (and you know it) clap your hands and contribute it.

But, I've tried Modeling. No seriously, I have. And I barely understand it and I have tried it. I cannot do anything.
    The only things I am good at is texturing models.
    Now that, I know.