Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, I am really interested in doing some TF2 models. Here's the problem - I'm using Carrara 6 Pro and have no idea how to make custom textures, or where to get models of the TF2 weapons in a format compatible with Carrara. Any tips?

Also, I had an idea for a tinfoil hat (perfect for TF2), but I realised that would be too hard for me, so feel free to steal the idea
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dire_luck wrote: »
    The coffee is looking good. Are you going to do a crit-a-cola coffee too?

thanks, but i wasn't planning on doing a crit-a-cola version. CWalkthroughs might though, i don't know what hes planing.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Well, I modified the textures, a little, currently not finished modifying. Depends if you want to use them or not. Your choice.

Here is the work's in progress:
    coffeeupdate2corkscrewe.png

coffeebluupdatecorkscre.png
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decaf remains unchecked :D
    awesome
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Scrub wrote: »
    Decaf remains unchecked :D
    awesome

lol.

Yes, and it always will be.

I'll get to work on the Crit A Cola version when I finish the RED & BLU versions.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I modified the textures, a little, currently not finished modifying. Depends if you want to use them or not. Your choice

I think you you should do a lot more than just change some of the text. when i gave you the texture files i wanted you to make a whole new texture of your own. i think you should come up with your own brand/logo and everything. you should pretty much only use the base colors, even then i think it would much more original if you came up with a different color scheme as well. sorry if this sounds harsh.

any way this is what i got. I'm about ready to call it done, unless anyone points something out that need reworking. should i go with team colored, brown, or just release both version?

largederpage.jpg

Edit: need to fix some texture bleeding on the brown version.
  • qazplm123890
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AAA_Battery
    I love coffee cups. I think the blue cup looks the best. The think I dislike about the red cup is that on the blue cardboard wrap, you can see that the mushroom cloud and sky are different colors. On the red cup, there doesn't seem to be any color difference. The contrast between the red and the yellow does seem to be a bit much, though.

I think the colored cups are the way to go, although you may want to give them different coffee flavors if you do. Also, I think "Atomic Coffee" is too reminiscent of "Atomic Punch." Try something like "Transuranic Coffee." Just so it's sufficiently different. I love the addition of morphine.

Keep up the good jobs everyone!
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you you should do a lot more than just change some of the text. when i gave you the texture files i wanted you to make a whole new texture of your own. i think you should come up with your own brand/logo and everything. you should pretty much only use the base colors, even then i think it would much more original if you came up with a different color scheme as well. sorry if this sounds harsh.

any way this is what i got. I'm about ready to call it done, unless anyone points something out that need reworking. should i go with team colored, brown, or just release both version?

largederpage.jpg

Edit: need to fix some texture bleeding on the brown version.
    Team coloured seems alot better to be quite frank, anyway, another update on my textures.

• dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any way this is what i got. I'm about ready to call it done, unless anyone points something out that need reworking. should i go with team colored, brown, or just release both version?

I like how the brown version looks, but i think it might look better if you put the team colored logo on it. Or you could make the logo on the brown version purple and have it be for crit-a-cola.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys.
    I have some experience with 3D modelling, and would like to try modelling a replacement for the flare gun... unfortunately, I have no idea where to get a flare gun model (for size comparison, what it should look like, etc.) and the software is Carrara 6 Pro. If anyone has any idea how to use this program, please give me some tips.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually liked the "A Nuclear Joe's Official Product" that CWalkThroughs added. I kept thinking the area to the left of the logo to the overlap looked like it needed something there. Even just a little wording helps fill up the empty space, so I think that would be a good addition to the original texture.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dire_luck wrote: »
    I like how the brown version looks, but i think it might look better if you put the team colored logo on it. Or you could make the logo on the brown version purple and have it be for crit-a-cola.

how this? i did the whole circle team colored at first, but it just looked strange, it felt overly colored for how washed out everything else in the background was.

herpderpf.jpg
    RedSheep wrote: »
    I actually liked the "A Nuclear Joe's Official Product" that CWalkThroughs added. I kept thinking the area to the left of the logo to the overlap looked like it needed something there. Even just a little wording helps fill up the empty space, so I think that would be a good addition to the original texture.

i disagree, having something else on the left side makes it feel unbalanced, the left side then appears more image heavy/cluttered than the right. which intern throws off the soothing or calm feeling that coffee, and coffee brands usually portray. this is the reason i made the switch to the brown label, the bright red and blue give an overly intense feeling to the weapon. while the image of the mushroom cloud retains same idea of being an energetic weapon. but it does it more subtly, instead of instantly popping out at you.

wow, i really explained way more than necessary...
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how this? i did the whole circle team colored at first, but it just looked strange, it felt overly colored for how washed out everything else in the background was.

I think it looks great the way you did it! :)
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i disagree, having something else on the left side makes it feel unbalanced, the left side then appears more image heavy/cluttered than the right. which intern throws off the soothing or calm feeling that coffee, and coffee brands usually portray. this is the reason i made the switch to the brown label, the bright red and blue give an overly intense feeling to the weapon. while the image of the mushroom cloud retains same idea of being an energetic weapon. but it does it more subtly, instead of instantly popping out at you.

wow, i really explained way more than necessary...

I still got a few ideas of my own to add.
    :\
  • Sharky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why hello tf2 hats and stuff thread! I have created this little gem for you guessed it, the soldier class.
    bullethat.jpg

but upon further inspection, I have realized that I have no idea how to texture it. the uvw map looks a little like this:

howdoItexturethis.jpg

I guess this is what I get for trying to make it smooth. Please help!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    You don't texture it, you unwrap it again because i have no idea what that is. which relax mode did you use, use the one thats topmost i find it USUALLY works best.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    pyrobrain.jpg
    quick try during lunchbreak

Oh man, crafted that a few days ago - definitely my favourite hat
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can download my coffee skin here if you wish.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/100518
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3DRyan Go for the "Polycount Contest's" rules for textures, tri count etc. Things to avoid, DO NOT make your own stats, DO NOT overuse your smoothing and or subdivisions; remember, that's what maps can cover up. It's all right to create background stories, it creates the characteristics of the weapons, but don't over do it. Make your modeling sharper. At this stage, it makes it seem way to rounded making the porportions unappealing. Be creative (I suggest give variety to these ideas, seen them way to many times. Give it some prettiness to define it from the rest) and remember, skins are skins. Do not create your own animations (especially for the revolver, don't give Valve extra work). Lastly, I think, is to not use Zbrush. Hard model EVERYTHING. Makes no sense to use Zbrush, a program that uses multiple tris compared to TF2's system. Use Zbrush to create your texture maps, nothing else, if you are to lazy to create hand painted ones. Other than that, hopefully it turns out right, and keep it in a theme that corrolates to TF2...or make up some bs story to convince people.

@AAA_Battery
    Very original and innovative. Would have never though of coffee relating to anyone but the sniper. Just don't over do it, 'cuz coffee makes Scout's crazy.

@totally not a spy There is nothing wrong with starting with Blender 2.53b if you are new and on a budget. It is free and teaches you the fundementals of 3d modeling, game modeling, animations, so on and so forth. Do not expect to get good instantly, check alot of tutorials, and don't go straight into modeling TF2 items, you could easily break your own confidense and motivation and your game files. Learn and practice, because after the modeling, you need to learn how to map, create your own textures, and import and export MDL files - and that is only the basis of truly getting a hang of creating skins. Don't try anything you are not ready for, start off easy. Make something you like, such as a car, an animation. They are challenging, but with enough motivation, you can easily learn alot in just doing afew, simple yet effective steps. Creation only comes from trying and excitment.

@sharky Create increments and areas. Seperate the UVs, do not assume everything can be textured in one area. Eyeball and porportion which UV area goes where, such as marking the bottom, from the top, and the middle.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My finished versions of AAA_Battery's coffee cup skins. Uploaded .vtf's too here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KRUGLHKY

If name is not right, just rename to default one in AAA_Battery's dl link.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is says "highly flammable" that wont be on the texture, only the top part of the "H" is going to be visible, everything else will be on the underside of the label.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is says "highly flammable" that wont be on the texture, only the top part of the "H" is going to be visible, everything else will be on the underside of the label.
    Balls.

Well, it can just be a funny design.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bishop Wait, what? I said I have the software, I just need a flare gun model so I know the right sizes and stuff
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bump

this thread must be sticky.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    AGuyCalledSpyke, it's not mine, i didn't finish it :poly134:
    But valve has integrated my vintage merryweather in the 2nd update to comfort me :)
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, does anyone know where I can find a .mdl file of the flare gun?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Download GCFScape, open one of the TF2 GCF files and look through them until you find the .mdl for the flaregun. Then use MDL Decompiler to decompile it to SMD so you can import it into Max or whatever modeling app you use.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm guessing both programs are free, I just don't want to use up TOO much space - I have a tiny Hard Drive
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bishop Wait, what? I said I have the software, I just need a flare gun model so I know the right sizes and stuff

Hmm? Really? Than what the eff was I replying to? I was reading something about being a new modeller.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    I've been poking my TF2 map still... Renamed it to avoid conflicts. Been having fun with some fake poster ads.. here's a couple I've made so far:

plr_gibraltar_alpha20006.jpg

plr_gibraltar_alpha20007.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, nice one on the Old Greg reference. My favourite's the other one, though. There's just something about retro computer ads, like looking into an antiquated future where they promise you the moon. 'this machine does magic!'
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice!
    Conagher Computers - Later renamed the Macintosh Computer by Apple
    That's right, the mystery of the 3rd 'live-forever' machine is solved - it's also how the Engie's Dad is TFC Engie and other stuff
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my coffee skin seems to be fairly popular, and i have gotten numerous requests to make a crit-a-cola texture for it to. So my initial idea is to make a new label, and new company brand, this time selling Irish Coffee. my big concern is, would it be wise to associate the scout with alcohol? remember he is probably under the age of 21.

If i just put it up on fps banana it would be fine, but do you think it would hurt my chances of becoming a community item if i submit it to valve?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I can't imagine that'd be an issue, particularly given the Scouts age is never given anywhere.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my coffee skin seems to be fairly popular, and i have gotten numerous requests to make a crit-a-cola texture for it to. So my initial idea is to make a new label, and new company brand, this time selling Irish Coffee. my big concern is, would it be wise to associate the scout with alcohol? remember he is probably under the age of 21.

If i just put it up on fps banana it would be fine, but do you think it would hurt my chances of becoming a community item if i submit it to valve?

I would have thought the 3rd texture was the Crit-a-Cola version.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have thought the 3rd texture was the Crit-a-Cola version.

no, the brightly colored versions were awful, and i will not ever be releasing them.

and it would be just plain boring to simply change the color, the reason people want to skin the crit-a-cola, and bonk is because they were all boring to begin with, they all had the exact same texture with just a color change. i can do better than that, so i will.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    here's my latest:

plr_gibraltar_alpha20008.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    no, the brightly colored versions were awful, and i will not ever be releasing them.

and it would be just plain boring to simply change the color, the reason people want to skin the crit-a-cola, and bonk is because they were all boring to begin with, they all had the exact same texture with just a color change. i can do better than that, so i will.
    If you want to differentiate them, what about some kind of iced coffee or the kinds of fancy pants coffees they sell from Starbucks with cream on top and the like.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 wrote: »
    here's my latest:

plr_gibraltar_alpha20008.jpg

Neat.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    If you want to differentiate them, what about some kind of iced coffee or the kinds of fancy pants coffees they sell from Starbucks with cream on top and the like.

because when you buy one of those they don't come with a lid, so i would have to make a new model, witch isn't really a big deal.... but it would be easier not to.

Edit: nevermid it would be impossible, because the bonk and crit-a-cola use the same model.

Double Edit: I could make an iced coffee or frappuccino model to replace the milk jar coming out in the polycount pack though.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @R13 dude that's awesome, I totally want that as a spray
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @r13: Just saw your picture on the front page! :) I think Adam knows something we don't... :poly142:

After moving everything over to a new computer I sat down and got on with the textures, since I couldn't really think of anything more that needed doing:

tf2___liberty___wip_by_elbagast-d2z4phq.png

tf2___liberty___wip_ingame_by_elbagast-d2z4psv.png

Other than tidying up the paint chipping, tweaking the white of the logo a bit and some playing with the specular settings it seems to be getting there. Any thoughts?
  • theharribokid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »
    Any thoughts?
    Just a small thing but maybe change the Star in the logo into the soldier's symbol?50px-Soldier_badge_RED.png50px-Soldier_badge_BLU.png
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small thing but maybe change the Star in the logo into the soldier's symbol?50px-Soldier_badge_RED.png50px-Soldier_badge_BLU.png

Sounds good, just slap these over the icon on the .tga's (or .vtf's).
  • Smash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I so have to try this!
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldier logo eh? Hadn't thought of that, I'll do a version with it. It's actually modelled so it doesn't look really pixellated (and cos I thought of it really late on...), but it shouldn't be too much fuss.

The original inspiration for anybody interested, WW2 US army vehicle markings:
    istockphoto_9294868-us-world-war-two-tank.jpg

EDIT: Now with new logo, must say I rather like it :)
    tf2___liberty___wip_new_logo_by_elbagast-d2z5jc0.png
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I dunno, I kinda prefer the original one with the star, it feels more original than 'hey, its a soldier weapon, lets put his logo on it'. It's similar to slapping Mann Co. on everything
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, this is really happening.

gereV.jpg

I still need to get it compiled for all the classes, but it's just about there. Should be ready in fairly short order.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »

gereV.jpg

I still need to get it compiled for all the classes, but it's just about there. Should be ready in fairly short order.
    LOL.
    Looks good!

Are you going to contribute? or is it just a funny Gibus Mod?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Swizzle wrote: »

gereV.jpg

Forget the badges, I want one of these for participating in the Polycount Contest. We don't need no stinkin' badges