Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont wrote: »
    Stuff from the R&D type projects I do on the side. Here is a sample of the output.
    BetterSimpsons.jpg

If you got anaglyph glasses (red/blue), fire them up.

Chromatic Aberration gone wild :P
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    woo, a new beginning.

blame_1.jpg
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    can you make a normals map for a high poly model? i want to add some detail to the side of my axe but i dont think i would be able to do it very well in 3ds max so i wanted to try make a normal map with photoshop to add some tribal swirls and stuff, i sort of know how to make normals maps but im not sure how to do it so that its in the right area if you see what i mean
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    Nice work on the robot ENODMI.

Here's some progress on mine, almost done.

Awesome Bal! I think the spec highlights on the edges of the legs might be a little too hot and not varied enough. Reads well on the upper cylinder part, but the I think it could be more subtle on the legs.

Looks sweet though, great job!
    dansher wrote: »
    can you make a normals map for a high poly model? i want to add some detail to the side of my axe but i dont think i would be able to do it very well in 3ds max so i wanted to try make a normal map with photoshop to add some tribal swirls and stuff, i sort of know how to make normals maps but im not sure how to do it so that its in the right area if you see what i mean

You could unwrap the highres and add normal map detail, but it might be a better exercise to make a lowres, UV it, bake normals from the highres, then add additional normal map detail in photoshop. It's a simple enough object that it wouldn't take too long and you'd probably learn more that way. But yes, it's possible to add normal map detail to your highres if you're set on doing it that way, you'll just need to unwrap it first.
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D-209 wrote: »
    Awesome Bal! I think the spec highlights on the edges of the legs might be a little too hot and not varied enough. Reads well on the upper cylinder part, but the I think it could be more subtle on the legs.

Looks sweet though, great job!

You could unwrap the highres and add normal map detail, but it might be a better exercise to make a lowres, UV it, bake normals from the highres, then add additional normal map detail in photoshop. It's a simple enough object that it wouldn't take too long and you'd probably learn more that way. But yes, it's possible to add normal map detail to your highres if you're set on doing it that way, you'll just need to unwrap it first.

yeah i guess ill wait until iv finished modeling it and then do a low poly and try and do it that way, fingers crossed.

still need to finish the handle anyway just can decide what to do with it
    i might get rid of that inset handle thingy it looks wrong doesnt it
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Bal that robot is awesome!! I would very much like to see a little more work on the metal tho. right now there is not too much difference from the robot or the sidewalk. I think the metal would look a lot more convincing with a stronger specular, and a bit of reflection
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Im playing with idea of modeling a Quarian from Mass Effect. I'm in the process of throwing down some quick ideas.
    I like the idea of doing something a bit individual with the suit
    Thoughts?

quarian_alt.jpg

Nice, but i guess (even though the quarians are not the best example), mass effect design is all about "less is more". I'm trying to find something as classy as Bioware designs and the more i search, the more I believe that classic (almost boring) designs are what is most likely to work. You have to imagine it with material variation and specular effect. So even for quarians, i would go with very simple clothing, and adding the extra customisation (like drapery and such) at the very end.

Anyway good luck, i'm looking forward to see what you do with the original design, i'm such a ME nerd these days (I may try to do quarians too)
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok this is like the 50th thing iv tried to make today lol
    anyway im trying to make a floor and im not sure how to unwrap this part, it has a few parts to it all up but its just this section that im not sure how to do so if anyone can help me it would be great

unwraphelp.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    dansher wrote: »
    im trying to make a floor and im not sure how to unwrap this part
    unwraphelp.jpg

If this is for a floor I presume there will be quite a few of them in a scene meaning high polycount. Try baking this onto a flat plane/box that way your unwrapping is simplified and you save a ton of polys too. If you are using a normal map you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and geometry due to the viewing angles.

ps: it would be good to make the rest of the floor first to put on a single texture sheet.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    This one for EQ. he a busta

dardick15k%2Bstock_lowpoly.jpg

first low poly for a baked asset so i'm fairly expectant to have to go back and fix shit.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Bal, that is one awesome render, your model looks ace. Only thing that kinda bugs my eye is the lack of self shadowing, I'd expect the body to cast shadows on its rear left leg for example, it looks kinda off that it's just as lit as every other part but it's still in the shadow area. Other than that this is already a killer.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys!
    EricV, yeah I definitely some more work on the spec/reflection I guess. There is reflection already, it's quite visible when I turn around the model in the viewport, maybe I'll boost it a bit.

felipefrango, weird, it is casting shadows on itself already (it's a realtime screenshot from the max viewport, with Xoliul and cast shadows), guess maybe the light position could be better, will work on that.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Bal wrote: »
    Thanks guys!
    felipefrango, weird, it is casting shadows on itself already (it's a realtime screenshot from the max viewport, with Xoliul and cast shadows), guess maybe the light position could be better, will work on that.

Hmm, yeah, taking a second look I can see shadows on the body I've missed before. Still feels kinda light compared to the ground but if I'm the only one who "noticed" it the issue might be in my eyes rather than on the model haha.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    felipefrango, no actually you're kind of right, I had the shadow multiplier alot lighter on the model, which probably explains why. Looks better a bit darker, thanks.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work endomi and bal! your robots are coming out awesome, great designs on both as well.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Chromatic Aberration gone wild :P
    It looks photo-real now right? :D
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    been doing a bunch of quick simple nudes. and decimating the fuck outta them 'cause it looks better. this bat thing from today about 4 hours base to tip :

quickBat_01.png

quickBat_02.png

and an ogre type dude from a little while back :

lightOgre_01.png

lightOgre_02.png
  • an aggressive napkin
    Gauss, If thats for a baked asset, you could tone down the cylinder sides on the barrel alot actually, you should only need around 12/14 if you really want it detailed. The normal map should be able to do the rest
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Gauss, If thats for a baked asset, you could tone down the cylinder sides on the barrel alot actually, you should only need around 12/14 if you really want it detailed. The normal map should be able to do the rest
    In addition to this the trigger guard on the pistol could be halfed in polycount. You also need to get rid of the pistol's symmetry because all it's doing is adding unnecessary polygons.

E:
    Those little bevels can also be taken out because it'll be handled by the normal map.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I'm usually not very interested in cars, but I thought this would be fun.

3iX24.png

I would very much like for you to finish this yes please I would:poly121:
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    really really nice sculpts tacit
  • nilknarf815
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    DONE! on to the next set of characters...
    PAAWPRP.jpg
    -Frank
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha Kickass. Awesome!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Some more work on this one:

wip20.jpg
  • an aggressive napkin
    But that is only if he does the highpoly right :P
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    dfacto that is the coolest
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Vitor: this guy is missing some kind of joint for the toes.. this looks all very metal and if there is no way to bend the toes his walk will look very funny

also your back is not as defined as the front .. why? esp with the noise on it it looks unfinished there. in general the noise is not doing this any favor .. it's way to low frequent and too strong and doesn't give any idea of what material the surface is made of. its everywhere on the skin and everywhere the same size and strength

other parts like the metal looks already quite good

keep it up!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I still got to work into some bits but gonna start refining the legs soon I think.

s5gx9g.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Good advise rollin, that will make me rework a couple things. I was about to take that noise out, it looks indeed odd.

Awesome model crazyfool! Now you make me feel bad about mine...
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Crazyfool is at it again. This is awesome. I love those horns.
  • meador_forest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The next model that I completed this quarter was a Victrola.

radio_high_sheet.jpg
  • Pdude2K7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pdude2K7 polycounter lvl 13
    Here's a shot of a single player prototype I am working on in Cryengine 2, kind of a horror thingy, I'll get the gameplay video once I am moderately happy with the cinematics:)

favelat.jpg
  • meador_forest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To celebrate completeing all of my major projects for this quarter, I decided to draw and color a picture of one of my characters. This took about an hour, start to finish, and isn't perfect, but was fun and relaxing.
    Me-Hollow.jpg
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    28684395540066497686641.jpg

My smoking lamp was removed from the low poly thread D: So ill put it here instead.

One on the left is the old one, then V2 was made after some crit from poeple.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    ...Smoking lamp. Yeah.

I'm pretty sure that's called a bong.
  • Sir Gimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Gimp polycounter lvl 17
    I thought I'd share something for once instead of just lurking and enjoying all of you guys amazing work.

Trailer of a 7 min short movie called "Julegrisen" A danish title which when translated means "The Christmas Pig". I worked as lead 3d artist. The movie is graduation short from the Danish Film School. Enjoy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cej1avb0moY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • meador_forest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the high poly sheet for the shotgun pistol that i built for my advanced modeling class.shot_gun_high_sheet.jpg?w=9ea0396e
    Can somebody plaese tell me why my images are not showing up. All I see as i scroll down the page is a big empty box?????
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    The way your db folders should look
    My Dropbox ->Public ->Polycount ->[insert images]

polycount sub folder is really just an organization thing...keeps files straight :)

but yes, your file has to be public for the public to view it. You can just turn on the option for your photos folder to be public, but damned if I know how.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    I need to be more involved with polycount lol so heres what i been doing. speed sculpts around (40-1h)

post410.png
    post310.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    DONE! on to the next set of characters...
    PAAWPRP.jpg
    -Frank

awesome, the girls boobs look a bit oddly shaped but otherwise very cool

beatKitano: Good point about simplicity, I was getting a bit ahead of myself.
  • Medestruit
  • an aggressive napkin
    Yay you took my advice :D
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Did this little sketch tonight, might take it further:

vadoski.jpg

:)

edit:

Inspired by Bobinski from the 'Coraline' movie. :)
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81 wrote: »
    woo, a new beginning.

blame_1.jpg

Geiger meets Japan meets Penis?

I like it, it's good in that fucked up way.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81 wrote: »
    woo, a new beginning.

blame_1.jpg

reminds me of something from that one manga, BLAME
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    @Medestruit:
    You should focus on shapes a bit more, and less on the rendering. In this one the noseholes are really wonky, and the mouth too. Your last paint had redneck teeth and some general wonkyness, also a lack of volume in the hair.

Also, try to use as big a brush as possible, and later add in details, small brushes make things messy quick.

JFletcher wrote: »
    Did this little sketch tonight, might take it further:

vadoski.jpg

:)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXN9w0rBc3c[/ame]
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    reminds me of something from that one manga, BLAME

Stole the words right out of my mouth! Awesome!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Bal Vitor Crazyfool!

FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!

Here's a sculpt o mine:

241_realsize.jpg
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    a bow I'm working on

BowHPwip01.jpg

rough concept
    Bow_Concept.jpg
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Medestruit:
    You should focus on shapes a bit more, and less on the rendering. In this one the noseholes are really wonky, and the mouth too. Your last paint had redneck teeth and some general wonkyness, also a lack of volume in the hair.

Well neither are finished, or even close to it, really. In the previous, I have a distortion on the teeth that no matter what I do the perspective seemed way off. Most of that was just being a little off on shading, moreso than shape. That's really the same case with the nostril holes on this one too, the shading is too hard on the inside, making it look larger than it actually is(i.e. the lower left of the left nostril hole when looking at it needs to fade more into the light, and the lower left of the right nostril hole when looking at it needs to flow into the lighter area coming from the lower right portion of the nose).

How much larger of a brush? I did the majority of the work with a brush around 40-60 in size, other than lips/tongue and the middle third portion of the nose).

And on the nose, now that I look at it after stopping for a while, there's a color mis-match on the left nostril that really makes it look ugly, haha. Woops. That along with piss-poor blending make it look extremely bad. I'm pretty terrible at digital shading, for whatever reason. Noses have always been my biggest weak point on getting the blending to correctly define shape. -.-
This discussion has been closed.