Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Medestruit, I really don't think anybody minds you spamming the thread. You have a pretty kickass style and it's great to see the progress you make.

And speaking of spam...
    AzJRo.jpg

zV4zr.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Medestruit, out of curiosity are you using illustrator for your illustrations?

Swizzle, I'm really loving that character.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medestruit, out of curiosity are you using illustrator for your illustrations?

Swizzle, I'm really loving that character.

For these particular designs I've been showing off lately, they're all done in Photoshop. I do a lot of work in Illustrator as well, but mostly logo work and print media(outside of apparel design) due to the nature of scaling. All these designs are done at 300DPI and are anywhere from 12" x 12" to 20" x 20" which is more than enough scalability. I prefer Photoshop in these works due to the precision you get with the tablet that still lacks in Illustrator(and I am currently working with CS5, but Illustrator is still a bit behind when it comes to precision and accuracy with tablet settings in comparison to Photoshop, unfortunately). I've been playing around with Manga Studio as well for when I might need to do something like this as a vector design(MS has awesome line work tools and creates a stroke as a stroke, instead of a path like Illustrator...which is probably the most annoying aspect of Illustrator as a whole).

And thanks Swiz. That model just keeps looking better and better. I know you've been working on that thing for a long time, but certainly shows how much your skills have progressed from when she was originally started.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medestruit wrote: »
    I know you've been working on that thing for a long time, but certainly shows how much your skills have progressed from when she was originally started.

I look at images from when I first started the model, hell, even months into working on her, and I cringe. I certainly hope I've improved.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mladen I love shapes on that wolverine. Forms are nicely balanced and interlocked.
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Currently working on my Comicon entry The Comedian

You can follow my thread here if you wish http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16350

comedian_update2.jpg

~t
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    whats that you say.....not enough folks showing comicon stuff in the waywo thread.....well if you insist :D

.....actually sorry....but it is what i'm working on......*apologetic smiley*

mean+wip+10.jpg

oh and yay i used my 100th post for something constructive :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle: Depending on what you're going for, you might want to tone down that facial expression a bit. It's kind of creeping me out. Paintover that takes it too far.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Seems that its crit swizzle hour....

Here is a few things that have been annoying me about the backshot from a dude thats spent far too long looking at naked women.
    The shoulders one is probably the biggest problem.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/muzzoid/swizpaint.jpg

Btw Mladen Jovicic that is freckin sweet
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    karera wrote: »
    I thought of this.
    theres no purple and my glasses are way more cool! ;)

@ Swizzle, Zwebbie
    I think her wide smile totally fits to it, its a cool stylized slight cartoony style after all.

@ seth.
    Looks great, but that poor thin cyborg looks like he will get dragged down by his huge arm constantly, that he has no arm on the other side makes it even worse ;)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    puh i hate hands!!!!! probably cuz i suck at it..gotta do some studies after im done with this dude...

the hands still not finished
    Pigman_arm.jpg
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
  • schebbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schebbe polycounter lvl 8
    Dhalsim, wanted to create something cartoony :)

dhalsimwip06.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    GoodDreams the red queen looks pretty close to the original, might be even better
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Davision3D wrote: »

@ seth.
    Looks great, but that poor thin cyborg looks like he will get dragged down by his huge arm constantly, that he has no arm on the other side makes it even worse ;)

Thank you :) He does look seriously off balance in a neutral pose, the idea is that old means primary weapon has become his biggest hinderance....he drags it behiind him like a ball and chain...poor mean :(

The beauty shot will make sense.....honest :D
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    ss_14.jpg

render in max now to put it into unreal
  • Sholka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hy,

As my first post, let me introduce my latest WIP work:

uploadc.jpg

As a beginner, I hope this model isn't that crappy :) Before someone would ask: Yes, the alien has teeth (in a different file), and I was to lazy making a proper uvw for the tail bumps :D. Anyways, the next step would be to add some detail to it (high poly that is).

By"Z

Ps: This "final" version took about 1 1/2 month to achieve...
  • Niwon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing character Swizzle! Really nice renders too.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehehe, all the comicon flooding the pages :D

captainhook01.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Doodle I did at work when idle. This DVD helped me a whole lot, really recommend it.

franky.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on figuring out how to avoid texture stretching when i uv map in maya. I know now just how crappy I am of a real life 3d texture artist. I wish I could laugh but I'm too pissed to at the moment.

here's my piece of crap light post
    lampy1.png
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Medestruit wrote: »
    For these particular designs I've been showing off lately, they're all done in Photoshop. I do a lot of work in Illustrator as well, but mostly logo work and print media(outside of apparel design) due to the nature of scaling. All these designs are done at 300DPI and are anywhere from 12" x 12" to 20" x 20" which is more than enough scalability. I prefer Photoshop in these works due to the precision you get with the tablet that still lacks in Illustrator(and I am currently working with CS5, but Illustrator is still a bit behind when it comes to precision and accuracy with tablet settings in comparison to Photoshop, unfortunately). I've been playing around with Manga Studio as well for when I might need to do something like this as a vector design(MS has awesome line work tools and creates a stroke as a stroke, instead of a path like Illustrator...which is probably the most annoying aspect of Illustrator as a whole).

And thanks Swiz. That model just keeps looking better and better. I know you've been working on that thing for a long time, but certainly shows how much your skills have progressed from when she was originally started.

Thanks for the info.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    coming along though JohnnyRaptor. I agree though hands are a bitch to get spot on.
    nice atmosphere ScubaSteve though the lighting looks a little flat to me
    cool sketch felipefrango
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along nicely there rens ;)
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done for now, just gonna add some kind of ground for him and pose him. And ofc make a proper render. Gonna work more on this one later. :)

Hope you like

v_11_1.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like it needs veins.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks great eric. I think swizzle might be right, few veins might look good
    but looking at the shiny bits it might look a bit more like a shell of sorts
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on a website redo. i just realized i have to more than double my site for all my new/re-organized work. i guess that's what u get when working with an non-specific website [it's not a portfolio like you guys, it's a lot broader and more fun i like to think]

experiments in illustrator, nothing too serious
    toomuch.png
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    hah nice eric... I'm not sure what that guy does, but whatever it is, it's probably really gross
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Wizard Staff!! Just me playing around a lil bit. So it's an obscene poly count and texture size lol. I still need to work on the crystal ball a bit though.
    screenshot13.jpg?t=1284097383
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    haven't been around here much lately :S
    too much to do and welkl working on my comicon entry. doing a younger version of storm, my hommage to the bad punk design decision they made in the 80ies :D

Storm22.jpg

Decided that i'd need more women in my portfolio and something less stylized and/or fantasy might be nice, sthe challenge was a nice way to do something. Initially I wanted to do a full concept intitially but then recognized DANG no time, so stept right from this first very rough sketch
    01.png

into the sculpting and overpainting there phase, some stuff didn't work out in 3d, the super wide eyes looked somewhat strange, but i want to get back to the bigger lips, will have to play around a bit more

04.jpg

my "colour"scheme, well basicly I want to concentrate more on material- than colourcontrast. So the only real colour in her will be the skin, the rest will be most likely be black and white with different values for specular and glossiness

06.png

and my first pass on her boots

07.jpg
    didn't want to do ordinary chucks, so they have a bit of that chuck feeling, they are based on some Gstar boot i saw in a store and i changed it to fit my needs better, made some details bigger, made the overall boot longer to end on the calves, the original ones end up below the calves but i thought that looked strange with the pants beeing inside the boot

Swizzle: Dang you nailed it! effin A work, she's adorable! :thumbup:
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Neox - Nice one mate! sort of a cross between the original punk storm and the 'ultimate marvel universe" version as well.
    The first basic concept - is that all 2d or have you done a paint over and existing base model? - either way great concepting!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Great Start Neox!! I dig Storm and you've got it nail on head! keep it up.

Progress on my staff, textures are fun lol.
    screenshot18.jpg?t=1284108102
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Swizzle: you have a fan!

09-10-2010_spy.jpg
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    froguu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

need to model him porperly to rig him and animate, but studio work + animation mentor took most of my time the last months
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Neox - i feel the laces come too far down ie a little gap between the last laces and the white 'uppers' might look better
    face is really nice but I was thinking it looks very similar to your other characters ie the big lips and the wider nose
    The nose in the sketch looks cuter
    diagonal cross belt might be hard to animate/skin

nice concept Makkon
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz: thanks for the feedback, yeah i agree with the belts, the second one needs to be turned less downwards - not even sure if i'll keep it
    http://images.idgentertainment.de/images/idgwpgsgp/bdb/2103112/600x.jpg
    more like this

the funny thing about the sketched face is, that the nose is actually wider but it doesn't appear as much because of the far apart eyes, but i tested it and it looked crap in 3d, if you just mean the tip of the nose, dunno i kinda liked the wide tip rihanna has and took that as a reference for that part, what i don't want to happen is a white chick with brown colour on her.
    The mouth will be changed as said i want to get the same size as in the concept or at least as close as possible. have to look what looks good in 3d, also i think the bridge could be softer but i'll toch that later - enough other stuff to do. But what i don't want to get is the generiuc beauty face, i think thats boring as hell, and well i'm usually not doing much in a more realistic way, was already tempted to go into a more toony direction, but for portfolio reasons i decided against that.

@achmedthesnake: thats just pained, i guess with 3d underneath i wouldn't have made some stuff that - well - wrong :D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah neox I figured that would the reason you gone in that direction. i am bit dull in that i tend to try and go for the idealized beauty stuff for females a lot of the time its just down to personal preference I guess.
    I do think the cartilage ion the tip of the nose could be softened slightly though
    doh it might be just me but are the eyes slightly too far apart?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they are more far apart than the anatomy book says they should be, yes, intended :D

wanted it to be more drastic just like in my initial painting but really looked strange in 3d, so i had to soften that a bit to a more standard proportioned face
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    It looks like it needs veins.

Yeah, you're right. I had some smaller veins that probably are too small to see in that render, but they add alot of the fleshiness :) loving your render of that girl btw!
    Ruz wrote: »
    looks great eric. I think swizzle might be right, few veins might look good
    but looking at the shiny bits it might look a bit more like a shell of sorts

Thanks man! Veins will be added :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lol,neox long as it was intentional then that's fine. I must have ocd or something ie wanting to line things up properly. Must.. stop.. watching Monk
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Neox/Ruz, Females are a pain. They are supposed to have all the facial Landmarks that Males Have,
    BUT you end up softening the crap outta them to make the face more "attractive" Black Females are an even bigger pain
    particularly if You are going a Modern Looking Black Female, In so many of the references of Prominent Black Models
    it is inaccurate to how they really look simply Because The lighting and Make up artist are skillfull
    at making their Noses Disappear and reducing the contrast from the Concave Nasal arch up into the Upper Corner Of the eyes.
    Sorry for the wall of Text But I am dealing with this now as well. :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It Sucks! Its about Nanometers and the right amount of SSS distracting from the actual shapes :X

@Ruz: You might like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory haha :D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha not quite that sad yet Neox.I am more like columbo but taller:)
  • CombatCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CombatCow polycounter lvl 7
    hi guys, after a long break I've started to play around with 3d again here's a wall texture I made, tell me what you think.

ohh and its just a maya screen grab, I should probably download udk.

finalcopy-1.png?t=1284134643
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Yeah Neox/Ruz, Females are a pain. They are supposed to have all the facial Landmarks that Males Have,
    BUT you end up softening the crap outta them to make the face more "attractive" Black Females are an even bigger pain
    particularly if You are going a Modern Looking Black Female, In so many of the references of Prominent Black Models
    it is inaccurate to how they really look simply Because The lighting and Make up artist are skillfull
    at making their Noses Disappear and reducing the contrast from the Concave Nasal arch up into the Upper Corner Of the eyes.

I am going to read this several times, since there is smart in there, but brain doesn't recognize it.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »

it sounds to me like you're over-complicating things. Get a wide variety of references and just do it.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox:

I think my only crit really is here cheer bones. If you're looking to stay more on queue with her comic version, her cheeks are more gaunt and defined. And hey, what's wrong with '80's punk Storm?! :p
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    it sounds to me like you're over-complicating things. Get a wide variety of references and just do it.

So much easier said than done, and I hope you realize that.
This discussion has been closed.