Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• couto607
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can I play my level in 3rd person view within UDK? Is that even possible anymore? Seems as though the 'behindview' console command doesn't work.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Quick question for the masters. I have a very strange bloom problem going on where the red arrow is pointing. If I turn bloom scale to 0, it goes away. Also, if I choose run from here in the view port it's gone. If I use the console command setres 1920x1080w (or any other rez higher than 720p) it returns. Super confused as to why this is happening. Any ideas?
    odd_bloom.jpg
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    It's a bug in editor viewport I believe, just ignore it.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I'll try a newer version of UDK to see if it's still there.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried the February UDK. That bloom bar went from one side to both sides and the top of the screen. Also happens in game now. Quite confused, looking for an explanation. Must be a setting of mine...

Wanted to throw in an edit: If anyone gets this error, you can remedy it for screen shots via tearing off a copy. It also goes away if you enable DX 11, but if you have been lighting in DX 9 be prepared for some changes.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Cheers @Rurouni!
    That's actually very helpful :)
  • couto607
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting a pretty big issue here that I would like some help with. This just randomly happened after I saved my map

lYLcK.jpg

Recaching the terrain material doesn't seem to do anything at all.

EDIT: Nvm, Seems as though one of my Normal map nodes broke on one of the layer textures. Had a little panic attack there.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    That usually occurs when you're using too many textures.
  • Ketchup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm new to Polycount and new to the unreal development kit.

I'm making my first scene for a project and I'm struggling to find a way to place text down at certain points in my level, like subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

Am i looking in the wrong places or can it not be done?

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ketchup-Check on UDK.com's documentation about Scaleform. I think that's the UI system in UDK now and that's how I would assume you do it? If I'm understanding you correctly.
  • Ketchup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll give it a look, thanks very much.
  • Ketchup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick question if anyone an help me out.

Anyone know the best way to trigger the map ending? I've done most of what I need to do and I need to place a trigger to make the map end when i reach a certain point. I'm presuming a trigger is the way to go but I'm not 100%
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Does anyone have any thoughts on if it's possible to make a blend material that blends based on screen space occlusion (cracks and intersections) and NOT on a greyscale blend map? I'm working on a bronze/copper shader and I want to be able to adjust the oxidization and patina on (which would be heaviest in the cracks and corners) but I want to be able to use the shader on multiple objects, so using static mesh-specific maps is a no go.

Edit: Nevermind, after talking to someone, I think I'm going to go with just vertex paint blending it in.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, new issue. I'm using mesh paint to blend textures in a material, but as long as I have a cubemap plugged in the textures don't blend at all. As soon as I disconnect the cubemap, the blend comes back. I've searched and only found one instance in a forum where the question was asked, but any variation of what was said there that I've tried doesn't have any effect. Any ideas?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Enable Per-Pixel in the Material, and make sure you have a Reflection vector plonked in the Transform node.

If you want to use the Custom Reflection Node because you need a Normal Map, you have to add a null Reflection Vector somewhere so that vertex works.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Anyone have any luck with decals in DX11? As soon as I add a decal in, lighting breaks and all my meshes turn translucent :/

EDIT: And now it works. :poly141:
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Enable Per-Pixel in the Material, and make sure you have a Reflection vector plonked in the Transform node.

If you want to use the Custom Reflection Node because you need a Normal Map, you have to add a null Reflection Vector somewhere so that vertex works.

Thanks, the per-pixel setting did the trick. I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to the normal map. If you have a second and can expound, I'd be interested to know, otherwise, thanks!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    So been working in DX9 and came home today to open my environment in DX11 and its just all black. No lighting and the meshes dont show up in unlit mode though I can see them in wireframe mode o.o Any ideas?

EDIT: Was my world post process settings apparently having a material effect after the ao pass was screwing it up.
  • Pampers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all, been trying to implement this http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingSkeletalControllers.html#SkelControlFootPlacement
    it works fine in the animTree preview, but in-game it only works on static meshes without any collision model assigned to them. Any idea on how to make it work on things like landscape and static meshes with collision?
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    It might be this line of code from their example;
    if (LeftFootHitActor.bWorldGeometry || LeftFootHitActor.IsA('InterpActor'))

It might be that bWorldGeometry only returns per-poly collision and not collision models. I'm not an Unreal Script guy but it is a possibility.
  • Pampers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked out their code example now, before I was only using skelControls. Anyway, now my mesh is halfway stuck in the ground from the waist and down. Will do some more testing :)

Edit: I removed all relevant code and just kept the skelControllers in the animtree, I also moved the mesh down to make sure it intersects with the ground and that there is no gap between the collision radius and the mesh. Now it works pretty good :)
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posted this in my thread too, but might aswell post it here, as I have more chance of getting a response here.

Basically, my light maps have gone all screwy, in the editor they are fine, whereas in game some revert to vertex lighting...

In Editor
    95232374.png
    Light maps all working fine, everything looking OK.

In Game
    notok.png
    Some light maps are just not working at all, though strangely some are still working (wall, lights, window)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure you've already checked this, but is Lightmass enabled in the World Properties?
    And what is the lightmap resolution in your individual mesh properties?

A value of "0" sets the object to a vertex-based solution.
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, all objects have a value and lightmass is enabled, as it is working on some objects.
    As it turns out, I need to go back to 3DS max anyway and piece some objects together to allow for easier construction in UDK anyway, so I'm going back and making new light map UV's anyway now and they seem to work fine now.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to mention the Lightmap UVs next actually, perhaps the objects' UVs just didn't have enough padding?
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any thoughts from anyone on how to go about setting up a good-looking overcast lighting situation?
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now there is a tricky lighting set-up.

A good start would be to lower your "DominantDirectionalLight" intensity and increasing the scene "DiffuseBoost" and "NumIndirectLightingBounces" values.

This should wash out the sharpness of shadows and make more uniform lighting like an overcast day.

The colour of your shadows (EnvironmentColor) should also be the overall colour of your sky - so most probably a grey-blue variant.
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bagstor polycounter lvl 6
    6dzhax.jpg
    How do this texture small?(tiling)
    UP:
    oh. i find it=)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a problem with the lighting on my door.
    It's set up so it opens when the player walks up to it, which all works fine, however once the door returns to its closed position, both sides of the door end up being lit completely wrong, I've tried vertex lighting and light maps, but the problem still persists.
    Before Opening
    beforep.png

After Opening
    afterq.png
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Is the door an InterpActor/Mover? I'd imagine it uses Lightmass-baked light until the first time it moves, when it becomes dynamically lit and begins reading lighting data from the tags in the world:
    02CharacterLighting.jpg
    I'd imagine it only generates these where a character could go, not in the wall where the door ends up.

You might be able to force it to not use dynamic lighting, ever, via the properties menu of the interpactor itself.
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, wow, thank you so much, brilliant!
    It totally fixed it.
    I can't even believe I didn't think of that. :)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I've been searching and I couldn't find a clear pros and cons of using landscape vs using terrain in UDK. Besides the blending mode what would be the benefits of using one vs another?
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    For one,the Landscape system uses a very optimized and advanced LOD system,which allows creation of huge terrains compared to the classic model,there's also a separate channel used for storing detail normals that will not be scaled down along with the LOD at far away distances which in turn results in highly detailed terrains,or should i say landscapes...those are two main things as far as i can remember...
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone know why meshes placed using the foliage tool arent showing correct vertex colours? Even though in the preview within the tool they appear just fine...
    grassvertpaint.JPG
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Minato. I will give landscapes a try.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Is there a way to take a high resolution screen grabs of your nodes inside Kismet.

[FONT=&quot]The reason I ask is that I'm a Lecturer and I would like to screen grab during my lecturers (from my work and my students) at high resolution and then draw over nodes to explain what is going on.

I have attached an image so you can see what I am talking about.

UDK_Tree_Node.jpg

[/FONT]
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Is there a way to take a high resolution screen grabs of your nodes inside Kismet.

I'd love to know this as well, in the past I've always just zoomed in close and took lots of individual images and then stitched them together in Photoshop
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom wrote: »
    I'd love to know this as well, in the past I've always just zoomed in close and took lots of individual images and then stitched them together in Photoshop

That's pretty much the standard way to do it, or you could screen record it, and then proceed to put it up as a pan picture.

Although natively, there is no such thing for UDK, so yeah, still need kludge work here.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know if Blend_Masked is not working in UDK anymore?

Made a tree and can't for the life of me figure out how to cast the shadows of the leafs onto the floor.

Tried Blend_Translucent and it seems to actually cast the shadow but it makes my leafs transparent.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me. Been scratching my head at this for a few hours now.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's working for me, did you make sure to have an Alpha/Constant in your Opacity/Mask slots?

Also, for the Trans, what do you mean 'Transparent'? Trans can be modified, did you check under the Trans Tab for the material?
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I was on the May build and couldn't get it working. I even used UDK's chain link Mesh because it has an alpha and that also didn't cast shadows once the lighting was baked. I didn't do anything to it.

I downloaded on older version, the March build and it seems to be working fine. The chain mesh and my crappy tree now cast the shadows once the lighting is baked.

Are you on the May build and it's working for you?
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any idea why my materials ID's would get lost when I export from 3dsMax 2012 to UDK?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    how do you export? how are the ids created? sub materials or just applied? do they have names or different textures applied?
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox. I think the problem was that even though I was using different materials, textures and ID's, some of them they were sharing the same name. I'm not entirely sure if that was the issue but when I changed the names of all the materials to being unique everything worked.
  • rockdude86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockdude86 polycounter lvl 12
    so i started learning udk for a while now and have this very strange problem. i'm using the landscape system with a heightmap from worldmachine. made a material that uses a colormap from wm and 4 seperate textures overlayed to be painted on the terrain.

now when i want to paint them on the terrain using the landscape tools it seems i can not paint everywhere (i can paint in some places but others seem not accesible by pointing the mouse at it and the paint cursor also is not at the same place as the mouse cursor :( everything works just fine except for the vertex painting. does someone have a fix for this? have been searching the net for 2 days now and have not come up with an answer to this.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I'm going to have a model with several materials on it, and i was wondering does it use one lightmap per mesh or one per materials (if that makes sense).
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    S_ource wrote: »
    I'm going to have a model with several materials on it, and i was wondering does it use one lightmap per mesh or one per materials (if that makes sense).

lightmaps are per mesh. all your materials will take up their own UV space in channel 1, but all UVs for all materials need to be put into channel 2 for the lightmap
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, another question for reflective glass/window should i use a image for reflection or realtime reflection?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I'm expecting that you mean cubemaps vs real time reflections instead of baked ones.
    It depends on what it should reflect and if its important. If you need to reflect characters, sure, realtime reflections can be needed, if its important, but just remember that realtime reflections are resource heavy.
    Most of the times, you generate a cubemap from your environment, to get the best result, and use that for reflection.