Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• james567
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crosspost, as this is the more popular thread:
    I've built a terrain and having trouble making the res on my rocks look crisp. I'm pretty well versed in the material node network, but the mountain texture is not scaling the way i want it. I imported a 2k map in just to test. I have tried some detail normals as well, Anyone have any ideas? The terrain verts are currently around 500k because of the size of my environment.

For screenshot refs please go here:
    www.Jolly3dgiant.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been pondering for a while now and can't seem to find an answer.
    Is there a way to set an 'orb' around the player that will vertex paint everything inside it, but leave everything outside untouched?

Also, my player seems to ocasionally die while in my vehicle, It seems to happen In the same area of map, but not 100% of the time...
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some poeple know how to replace the default character with my own? I watched many tutorial but they neither don't work(When I play the game the character are invisible) or aren't very clear.

I already exported my skeletal mesh and added some socket
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    how can i get the environment color from the world into a shader? the default lighting modes do this automatically, but i can't find any documentation on this.

thanks!
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to view and tap world property. All the needed modification are here
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Sorry, I think I might have not been as clear as I should have been on what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to modify the Environment Color, I'm trying to call it in my shader either with HLSL or with the nodes. Unreal's Phong lighting model, for example, combines the diffuse with the Environment Color in the areas on a mesh that are not hit by light so they don't go from lit to pitch black. When making a custom lighting model in the Material Editor, one would have to do this themselves. I've looked through the source code for Unreal's shaders (at least the old ones, since they only release the shaders as binaries now) but I can't figure out how they're calling it. I see multiple references to it in their HLSL and GLSL (if anybody knows why there's glsl in some of the older builds of UDK could you explain how and why they're using it in a direct 3d based engine?) but I can not figure out how to get it in my own shader. There has to be some way to do this.

Again thanks in advance! This is kind of a tricky subject :I
  • ashkan02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I'm new in UDK so please excuse me if my questions are very simple
    I made a simple soft body ( a cube ) and I want it to move itself, how should I do this?
    I used set velocity in kissmet and select this soft body as its target but it didnt work
    when I changed the Physics from PHYS_None to PHYS_Walking for this soft body it becomes invisible in editor previewer.
    whats the problem?
    Anybody can help me plz...
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashkan02 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new in UDK so please excuse me if my questions are very simple
    I made a simple soft body ( a cube ) and I want it to move itself, how should I do this?
    I used set velocity in kissmet and select this soft body as its target but it didnt work
    when I changed the Physics from PHYS_None to PHYS_Walking for this soft body it becomes invisible in editor previewer.
    whats the problem?
    Anybody can help me plz...

It depends what you want to do with it. If you simply want it to move along a path, you would need to set up a matinee for it to animate it. Anything that moves in matinee needs to be set to phys_interpolating.

Check out this tutorial on moving doors, once you understand how it works, moving anything is the same thing - http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/wold-members-tutorials/petebottomley/udk-moving-doors.php
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have created a custom character for UDK with animation: animset and anime tree But my character show no animation. It strange because my script log show no error
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    I have been following some UDK Introduction tutorials. 1 question, when they Build/compile Player comes with the gun and all those HUD menus... but when I Build I just get FPS Camera without gun even when I place the "player start "... why is it so ? what do I have to do to get the character with the gun ?
  • ashkan02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Disheveled Zen

But in fact, I dont want to use matinee. I want to 2 soft bodies move toward eachother when I touch them (for ios devices) . And when they reach eachother they seem like 2 bubbles that stick together. Have any advice?
  • ashkan02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Sorry I have another problem.In the picture below the carrot will be moving wherever the player touch. I want to player actor face the carrat I mean when the carrot moves the player charactor rotate to look at the carrot. How can I do this with kismet?
    Any ideas?

testgame.jpg
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already heard about a look at property in kismet you should try this
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    cmtanko wrote: »
    I have been following some UDK Introduction tutorials. 1 question, when they Build/compile Player comes with the gun and all those HUD menus... but when I Build I just get FPS Camera without gun even when I place the "player start "... why is it so ? what do I have to do to get the character with the gun ?

You need to use the correct gametype. Look in the world properties, there should be a property that says something like default game type. Change this to a UT game type.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    I ended up completely uninstalling UDK with user files and then re installing the latest version and re importing the scene. It is fine now. Not sure what caused this or why it was so hard to fix.
    Hi,

Recently my scene in UDK stopped building the lighting. I hit build and get to around 95% and then it just holds there. The last message on the swarm agent log is

Assertion failed: MappingContext.FirstBounceCache.InterpolateLighting(RepresentativeVertex, FALSE, FALSE, IndirectLighting) [File:Lighting\Src\VertexMapping.cpp] [Line: 965]

I have seen this error mentioned once before in this thread but the copy all + paste into a new scene did not work for me and neither has using an older version of UDK.

Can anyone else shed some light on this for me please as I am running out of ideas.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Got a lighting seam in my tiling meshes, I know this is a common issue but I've looked around and can't find anything that has helped so hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

udk-lighting-issue.jpg

Thanks in advance :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Y_M - There is a quite simple solution...dont use highly separated meshes for high tiling.copy them together in the modeling software,make proper uv-s for the attached (welded) meshes, and then import that bigger pieces into udk.Maybe not the best solution, but 100% working.

anyway, i think parallax would be better for that barely extruded things at your ground tile.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar wrote: »
    You need to use the correct gametype. Look in the world properties, there should be a property that says something like default game type. Change this to a UT game type.

Ahhh Nice, Thanks alot :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using light functions at many lights (15-20 or more) are cheap or expensive? I want to use this at my early evening scene, to give shadows to the lights that "coming from behind" luminous windows, or barred lanterns.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Light functions are only available on dynamic lights. So the most important cost will be the fact that you use a light function, but that you use a dynamic light.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know.but as i know, dynamic lighting is not really expensive, if it not cast dynamic shadows.i dont want dynamic shadows, just dynamic lights with light functions.what is not really a shadow, just a masked texture.after all of that, i think its ok with many lights.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Obscura--I might be a bit out of date here since UDK now has the partial deferred stuff going on, but you might want to be careful placing 20-30 of those dynamic lights in UDK --especially if they're all touching the same complicated object or something. If I recall correctly, UDK has to draw the object again in its entirety for EACH dynamic light that touches it. Your vert count and draw call count can skyrocket super fast if you put a lot of them in the scene (it was for this reason that epic made the 'light environment' system, used on skeleton meshes).

Now, the newer 'DOMINANT' placeable dynamic lights are deferred, I think, and they add to the pixel complexity but not as much to the tri/drawcall count, but I think there are some limits in how they interact with each other (you can only use one? Each pixel can only be touched by one? something like that).

Anyway, you might want to do some tests before you go hogwild placing dynamic lights.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Blankslatejoe!I tested out this and runs good on my very shitty pc(intel e5500, 4g ram, radeon hd 5450).My setup is like this: one dominant directional light for sun.only this cast dynamic shadows.and there are some movable point light what uses the light functions.they have small radious ,so each one hit maximum 2-3 objects, and never intersects each other.and this lights are not casts any shadows.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Hello jello gents,

I'm rather new to Udk and after exhausting Google, the two books i have, i came here at last with three questions on kismet events.

Part of the code;

RRSv5kl.png

This is as simple as it sounds, i need to do a check that both event A + B have happened for C to happen. I tried to carry it through int check but it seems to be flat adding them instead which ruins it ;') That is literally a new syntax draw back on my behalf!

The other hopefully just as easy to answer;

Is there anyway to "detonate" a fracture mesh through a trigger event? After the player touches the trigger volume, i want to destroy a statue. The player however doesn't have any weapons and neither do the enemy's (survival horror, with a tad bit of brainwashing)

An lastly, mounted head tracking. Is there a short and sweet way to hook them into a Udk game? I've looked into different routes but they stagger with performance issues ;/ If not ah well.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello UDK Gurus,

Again got stuck due to some bug or my knowledge limitation.
    I was playing with the speedTree, modeled it, compiled it and imported it to UDK BUT i SEE NOTHING IN THE MODEL VIEWER OR IN THE SCENE. Is there anything I missing while exporting or importing..

Also,
    I tried finding but couldnt find much, is there few sample outdoor(landscape env) which I can download for free to learn ?

Thanks
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Lazerus,

I would use an AND gate. It only fires until everything that's plugged into its input fires at least once. Otherwise you'd have to do kind of what your doing but put a delay in that check and have it run like every .1 seconds with it looping. Oh also be careful hooking things up to on level load make sure anything using that event doesn't accidentally trigger off other things. They way your picture is set up is as soon as the level loads it would set your stuff to hidden(which you want) but then also set your Int to 1 (which you dont)

As for fracture on and event you could use a radial or linear impulse actor placed infront of your fracture mesh. If your looking for more of a crumbling effect this may not be the right answer but it may be a starting point, ill get back to you if that's what your looking for.

For head tracking im really not sure, i know there's a head tracking node in the anim tree editor. and i think remember seeing something in kismet to, ill have to poke around.

Anywho this should do what you want, hopefully this helps

AmvDo1M.jpg
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Hey Lazerus,

I would use an AND gate. It only fires until everything that's plugged into its input fires at least once. Otherwise you'd have to do kind of what your doing but put a delay in that check and have it run like every .1 seconds with it looping. Oh also be careful hooking things up to on level load make sure anything using that event doesn't accidentally trigger off other things. They way your picture is set up is as soon as the level loads it would set your stuff to hidden(which you want) but then also set your Int to 1 (which you dont)

As for fracture on and event you could use a radial or linear impulse actor placed infront of your fracture mesh. If your looking for more of a crumbling effect this may not be the right answer but it may be a starting point, ill get back to you if that's what your looking for.

For head tracking im really not sure, i know there's a head tracking node in the anim tree editor. and i think remember seeing something in kismet to, ill have to poke around.

Anywho this should do what you want, hopefully this helps

You sir are a legend!

I sub'd to this thread in case of any replies but nothing came through ;')

I was looking for more functionality through here and saw your post! It seems pathetically simple now that you've showed me... Thanks a lot, you've really helped ;)

Also so far on the HMD's i've tried the post processing option however it really destroys the framerate, it needs to render 3 imgs in total and is just too much to be worthwhile right now. I've seen the head tracking function a while back but still can't figure out how it work's. I hope they add full HMD support in the next cycle. It should be the right time with oculus rift out.

Thanks again Trevor!

cmtanko wrote: »
    Hello UDK Gurus,

Again got stuck due to some bug or my knowledge limitation.
    I was playing with the speedTree, modeled it, compiled it and imported it to UDK BUT i SEE NOTHING IN THE MODEL VIEWER OR IN THE SCENE. Is there anything I missing while exporting or importing..

Also,
    I tried finding but couldnt find much, is there few sample outdoor(landscape env) which I can download for free to learn ?

Thanks

Save your packages and build geometry and you'll see the imported meshes :)
  • Ravanis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all

I am just getting into more complex Kismet sequences and could use some help in finding a good place that has active members willing to lend me their knowledge or send me to a good site for tutorials when I hit a road block.

Thanks for any assistance in the future

Rav
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again, I have just one question. What the f are these on my lepred textures? They are using the same texturemap btw, one is in the r channel and the another is in the g. Looks like lerp is derping with me :S
    wtfmsn.jpg
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its really hard to tell whats going on there...are the green and yellow intentional and only those little teeth are bad...or is all of the green and yellow stuff unintended?

if you're dealing with lerps: are you clamping the input into the lerp's alpha? That always gets me.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ---sigh duplicate reply. Stupid internetz..
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The yellow and the greens are masked areas based on 2 map (using the same texture, but using different channels). My problem is where they meets, there are "blending errors" on the edges. They are not clamped. I don't really understand why these errors are only at the "edges" meeting points.
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, have any of you experienced this problem in dx11 render mode?
    materialEditor.jpg
    i've tried it on two different systems with appropriate video adapters and drivers are up to date/ Just trying to figure out what am I doing wrong. Also material preview for this shader in Content Browser is shown grey.
  • FramuSS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides wrote: »
    Hey guys, have any of you experienced this problem in dx11 render mode?
    materialEditor.jpg
    i've tried it on two different systems with appropriate video adapters and drivers are up to date/ Just trying to figure out what am I doing wrong. Also material preview for this shader in Content Browser is shown grey.

As far as I know this happens in DX11 mode when you're using depth biased alpha. It only affects the material preview though and should work fine in the editor

You can either switch back to DX9 mode or unplug the depth bias alpha node until you've finished with the other components of your shader and then plug it back in towards the end.
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks FramuSS, you made my life a lot easier. Now I'm trying to understand why I can't turn off collision on a landscape. When I choose collision type COLLIDE_NoCollision it still works while the same type on Terrain allows me to go through it. Maybe there are some other settings I know nothing about.
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjuuuh polycounter lvl 6
    Dear co-UDKers,

I have a quick question which i was hoping someone might be able to help me with. After just having created a prefab the DrawScale3D fields are now all set to "multiple". What i would like to do is mirror my prefab across the Y axis. However, it seems that putting -1 into the Drawscale3D Y field affects all the seperate objects in the prefab seperately and the result is all of the seperate parts being mirrored in different directions. Please let me know if there is a way to do this.

Kind regards,

Chris
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Right click it - Transform - Mirror on X Y Z

If that doesn't work on the prefab actor, turn off prefab actor locking via the top menu, and then select all actors part of the prefab manually, and then right click on those instead.
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay awesome that worked! my next little problem is that the prefab consists of skeletal meshes. For some reason when i mirror skeletal meshes with a physics asset attached for collision, the collision doesnt work after having mirrored the mesh anymore. Is there a way to mirror a skeletal mesh and keep the collision in tact?
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have any help regarding the mirroring of skeletal meshes?

thank you!
  • BobsYurUncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    Got a lighting seam in my tiling meshes, I know this is a common issue but I've looked around and can't find anything that has helped so hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

udk-lighting-issue.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Looks like your lightmap UV's in channel 2 are not snapped to the grid.

Change the size of the grid in maya (or whatever software) so that it matches your meshes lightmap value in UDK. It's indicated by the checkers behind your UVs, in your case it's 20x20 right now.

So if you intend on having lightmaps of 32 or 64+ on that floor piece, you have to do a bit of math. It's always a good idea to know how high the resolution your lightmaps is, prior to making them.

Go into your UV Texture editor and then into grid options. The value "Grid Lines Every: ______ Units" is the one you're interested in. Open up calculator and divide the number '1' by whatever your UDK lightmap size is.

1/32 = 0.03125
    1/64 = 0.015625
    etc...

punch this value into '"Grid Lines Every _____ units". This will update your UV checkers to 32x32 or 64x64 respectively, which is now a 1:1 value that UDK will use. The next thing to do is snap all your border edges of the UV shell to the grid so it doesn't accidentally bleed any of those ugly seams onto your mesh.

Should solve your problem.

Protip: I don't recommend using a grid size larger than 64x64 as it can become quite unwieldy to work with. You can snap to subdivisions of the grid when using 128+ lightmaps with negligible consequence.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, A quick question
    -Can I show fps in the main viewport or anywhere (not in game mode).
    -Also, is there a way I can slow the speed of the camera even lesser than the default minimum value, its so hard when I try to zoom on small props.
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    Above the viewport on the very left side click that small black triangle/arrow (viewport options) and select show fps. This will only work in realtime mode (CTRL+R).
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks, got it
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard,
    16 Unreal unit = 1 Foot
    But 1 foot in Maya doesnt exactly match with 1 foot UDK ? by lil mismatch
    I guess its acurate with Max but How am I going to match units between UDK and Maya ?
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you guys bake lightmaps for one-sided geometry? If i add backfaces or volume to the geometry it works perfectly fine but here it looks as if light comes through the surface from the back. UVs and lightmap resolution are fine btw.

WSh5HXk.jpg?1
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Avoid using one sided geo, light leaks in UDK if you don't.
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Avoid using one sided geo, light leaks in UDK if you don't.
    Completely agree with you because I know what the problem is. But if I want to build a canyon wall or something out of it, by adding backfaces I would get lots of geometry i don't need because I won't see it anyways. Just trying to understand the workflow for this situation.

fy02fPs.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The wasted geometry is worth it in this case, but for canyon walls like this, most video games use a pretty low poly basic landspace, and then they use a several unique rocks that are placed and rotated to make up the cliffs. Drakes Fortune and Skyrim used that technique.
  • Beno09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beno09 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys,

do anyone have kind of master character shader/material or anyone can lead me towards place that have something like that ?

Thanks
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    aristides wrote: »
    Completely agree with you because I know what the problem is. But if I want to build a canyon wall or something out of it, by adding backfaces I would get lots of geometry i don't need because I won't see it anyways. Just trying to understand the workflow for this situation.

fy02fPs.jpg

You can also make your mesh be double sided for lightmass only. It's in the settings per mesh, I don't remember the actual name of the variable.