Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    not sure about a video but this may help.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialExamples.html#Sub-Surface%20Scattering (if the page loads on SSS and then moves away from it just go to the top and click SubSurface Scattering)
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you so much Oniram!!! That's EXACTLY what it is that I saw/needed! Very much appreciated!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Can someone figure out my low framerates in the editor? When I've built my lighting, it runs smooth as butter, but when lighting is unbuilt my framerate drops drastically. Annoyingly, it also does this if I save the map - and I have to build lighting to make the lag go away!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    fearian wrote: »
    Can someone figure out my low framerates in the editor? When I've built my lighting, it runs smooth as butter, but when lighting is unbuilt my framerate drops drastically. Annoyingly, it also does this if I save the map - and I have to build lighting to make the lag go away!
    Same problem for me. Unbuilt lighting is like full dynamic lighting, which is more heavy than static lightmap. I guess this is the problem.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats why lighting needs to be built. :D
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Anyone knows how i can make a glowmap actually emit light?
    I just used a RGB glow map and plugged it into the emissive slot. I then enabled the emit light under lightmass in the static mesh properties. No matter what values i put in there it doesnt emit any light. Any ideas?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Higher then 1.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Higher then 1.

You mean in the shader network a constant set to 1? Or on the emit settings of the static mesh?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    reiro wrote: »
    You mean in the shader network a constant set to 1? Or on the emit settings of the static mesh?
    Multiply by a constant 1 with a value higher than 1.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    m4dcow wrote: »
    Multiply by a constant 1 with a value higher than 1.

Thats actually what i did :/
    emissive2.jpg

I set it even way higher to see if that works. Also set the emissive boost high played with various settings, not sure what to change. It still won't emit any light. Have to manually place lights to fake the emissive light, which doesnt look too good :/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand, the lights seem to be working and should be working, or do you want it to be dynamic?

If it's the latter, then no, you can't make emissive maps dyanamic and have them cast shadow and interact with the environment. You can bake their their falloff into the light maps.

However, if it's simply 'not' working, did you try apply the material to the mesh in the scene? The material editor sometimes acts funky and stops showing the 'correct' results, sometimes a quick restart of UDK helps and/or applying the material to the mesh in the scene.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    reiro wrote: »
    Anyone knows how i can make a glowmap actually emit light?
    I just used a RGB glow map and plugged it into the emissive slot. I then enabled the emit light under lightmass in the static mesh properties. No matter what values i put in there it doesnt emit any light. Any ideas?

Static meshes won't emit light if the triangle count is over 5000, maybe the problem is that? Also I've found that typing in an explicit influence radius is a lot easier than to multiply the emissive texture in material editor.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html#Mesh Area Lights from Emissive
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I don't understand, the lights seem to be working and should be working, or do you want it to be dynamic?

If it's the latter, then no, you can't make emissive maps dyanamic and have them cast shadow and interact with the environment. You can bake their their falloff into the light maps.

Sry if i wasnt too clear on it but yes that what i intended to do. I was afraid its not possible :)
    Good to know it cant be dynamic, probably would ve tried for nothing then.

@Xendance As for the static emission my model has 5037tris so its just too high to work. Did not know about the limitiations. Might try to get it under 5000.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    After thinking its the tri count i assigned the material to a bsp mesh and set it to emissive. For some reason its not casting anything to the floor.

emissive3.jpg
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I need to figure out how to disable the LIGHTING NEEDS TO BE REBUILT ERROR, or at least remove it from showing up when I make a movie, in the august beta. I know it's possible for kismet errors, but I need to be able to render my movie without that ugly red warning appearing. Any help?

EDIT: Just tried running a kistmet console command to toggleallscreenmessages before the matinee plays, doesn't seem to work...

Further EDIT: The above works only in-game, but it turns out that in movie mode, while recording, you can still enter console commands. All better now!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Reiro: Abit rusty since I last used UDK, but you need to bake your scene before seeing it projected on a mesh, it also helps if the BPS you're projecting on has a material on it.

If that doesn't work, just try a static mesh instead as both the applied mesh and projected mesh, and in the properties, there should be a setting (Emissive boost I think it's called?) which allows you to control how strong this should be.
  • edoublea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edoublea polycounter lvl 9
    @Reiro:... Remember also that the lighting will only appear as baked into a lightmap... and in the last example pics you posted, it looks like your BSP lightmap resolution is set extremely low (32). It could be that it is illuminating the surface, but it's doing it really evenly (onto a low-rez map), so you aren't seeing any fine lighting details. Try it on a slightly more complex (static mesh) surface with a higher rez lightmap.

</ 2 cents>
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Might be an odd question (or obvious answer), but does UDK create a lightmap per mesh or per texture/material sheet?

In other words, if I have say, 3 props on a texture sheet, can I have their second lightmap channel UV's overlap?

Thanks!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i believe its per texture/material sheet. i know that UDK generally complains when you have any lightmap UVs overlapping.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Highelf wrote: »
    Might be an odd question (or obvious answer), but does UDK create a lightmap per mesh or per texture/material sheet?

In other words, if I have say, 3 props on a texture sheet, can I have their second lightmap channel UV's overlap?

Thanks!

It is per mesh, just like you could have multi-sub material static meshes with tiling bits etc... You want to maximize the area used for that particular static mesh.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks alot! Makes sense - on the way here I realised it is pretty obvious since per-material lightmaps would be an issue if you ever copied a model, heh..
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i'm having a little trouble with lighting lower LOD versions of models.

Is there a way to force a low LOD mesh to use the same light map as the higher LOD mesh?
    This is because my highest LOD mesh has shadows cast on it due to its geometry, but the lower LOD mesh is a simple plane, meaning the shadows just pop in.

Also, is there a way to change the LOD max range on an X,Y basis, rather than an overall distance?
    I'm modelling a building and the LOD distance in the Y direction can be can be lower than the X direction.

EDIT : Also, since adding lower LOD's to my meshes, UDK keeps freezing, anyone know if there's something i need to do to stop it?
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    I'm just getting in to UDK and I'm looking for resources to help me learn quick, I came across UDK 11 Day Level Design.

It seems to go through the entire process from concept to the end. Anyone gone though it, is it worth getting for someone new to UDK?
  • kyle.rau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    Don't spend the money now, go through the free stuff first. The UDK documentation has some links to a whole series by 3d buzz and they're great!

-kyle
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks downloading them right now!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Personally, I tend to avoid the paid-for learning materials for UDK. They only ever seem to cover the same basics that can be easily found all-over the web for free.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True at this point, the only two companies I would ever buy tutorials for if I want to learn an extra trick or two, would be 3DMotive and Eat3D.
  • kyle.rau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having some lightmass issues...

When I bake and look at the model from the side I get all these gnarly seams or something. I have literally tried everything. I was thinking it was the normal map maybe, so I just slapped a basic grey material on it. Any ideas? :/

udk_lightmass_Artifact.JPG
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyle - what do the lightmap UV's look like? Just wondering if there might be UV seams. From what I gather having UV shell edges forces hard edges (tri-stripping reasons I guess?). I'm new to UDK though, so sorry if I'm way off.
  • kyle.rau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was too tired to post last night but i fixed the issue. I'm not entirely sure what it was but I basically opened a new Maya file, imported my FBX, and exported it again from that new fresh maya file and imported a new copy in UDK and it worked....

I've been having some FBX issues with maya for a while so who knows what it could have been.

petrol: Yeah the lightmap was fine. There were no seams at these edges. I'm thinking my fbx file didn't carry over my normals correctly the first time or something. :/
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I'm getting a weird problem with the latest build. Occasionally when mousing around the 4-view viewport my mouse will freeze entirely. I can still use the mouse buttons, just no movement. No idea how it's fixed each time either, usually ends with me bashing keys randomly until it corrects itself.

Anyone had a similar problem? It's happened on multiple machines for me.
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, i've been working on a scene in UDK for a while now and all of a sudden yesterday whenever i try to 'play' it, UDK says 'Failed to create entry point. Try another location, or you may have to rebuild your level'

This has come completely out of nowhere, as i've been able to pop in to my level up until now.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is your playerstart intersecting with any geometry? if so move it and rebuild paths.
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    is your playerstart intersecting with any geometry? if so move it and rebuild paths.

I have no player start, i just right click and choose 'play from here'.

In fact, UDK won't even let me add a player start, i click add player start and nothing happens at all, which is odd, because i've added one on this map in the past...
  • Camikaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick way to check that it is adding it to the level is to open the content browser and check in the "Scene" tab. If the playerstart is in the list there it is somewhere in the level.
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Camikaze wrote: »
    A quick way to check that it is adding it to the level is to open the content browser and check in the "Scene" tab. If the playerstart is in the list there it is somewhere in the level.

Thank's, but i've just reverted to a backup, hopefully it won't happen again.
  • betoel2009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    betoel2009 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys, I keep getting an error Warning message saying
    "Skeletal mesh actor has NULL skeletalmeshcomponent property."
    How do i fix this?
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    Does anyone know if there is there a way to apply a material to a multiple static meshes at once?

Its something I have come across repeatedly, I import a large number of static meshes that all need the same material but I have to open each static mesh individually with the static mesh editor and apply the material one at a time. Is there an easier/quicker way to do this?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can do it within the scene. if you drag your meshes into the scene and then drag the materials onto them (or go into the properties and set the material) then it will apply to all, but that would be only for the scene, not within the content browser
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    m4dcow wrote: »
    It is per mesh, just like you could have multi-sub material static meshes with tiling bits etc... You want to maximize the area used for that particular static mesh.

thank you for answering this question, i was curious about this as well. time to redo some UVs :)
  • Amr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amr0 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, PC. Before building static lighting, the normal map looks great on the object. After building lighting, it's almost completely washed. I've set the lightmap resolution to be quite high for testing, and it didn't help.
    Before building lighting:
    c2373.jpg
    After:
    651c6.jpg

Especially notice how the area at the bottom which is only lit by the environment color is flat. What do?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    any advice on how to get decent looking results out of a fluid surface actor, preferably a larger one? i can't seem to make decent headway on one and i can't find much in the way of tutorials/walkthroughs on the subject that aren't the most basic set-up variety
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Amr0 wrote: »
    Hi, PC. Before building static lighting, the normal map looks great on the object. After building lighting, it's almost completely washed. I've set the lightmap resolution to be quite high for testing, and it didn't help.
    <image>

After:
    <image>

Especially notice how the area at the bottom which is only lit by the environment color is flat. What do?

Try using a dominant directional light as a key light instead of the point light you have.

Also you could try upping the lightmap resolution on your object.
  • Wordsworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my level I (will) have a gramophone from which I want a series of songs to be playing, which are looped, spatialized and attenuated. Using a simple SoundCue/AmbientSound, I have it working perfectly. However, whenever the player passes beyond Radius Max (so that the volume reaches 0) and then reenters, the music will begin playing again from the beginning. Is there any way to keep it playing whilst it cannot be heard?

P.S Long time lurker, first time poster.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Amr0 wrote: »
    [noparse]c2373.jpg[/noparse]
    After:
    [noparse]651c6.jpg[/noparse]

Try going into your World Properties and under Lightmass change your 'IndirectNormalInfluence' from the default of 0.3 to about 0.8.
    This should make the normals more prominent after a lighting build :)
    gauss wrote: »
    any advice on how to get decent looking results out of a fluid surface actor, preferably a larger one? i can't seem to make decent headway on one and i can't find much in the way of tutorials/walkthroughs on the subject that aren't the most basic set-up variety
    What appears to be the problem with your FluidSurfaceActor?
    If it is looking a little bit too 'wobbly', you could try changing the 'FluidDamping' multiplier in the actor's settings to be a bit higher. You can have a play about with this yourself as the values range from 0-30.

This should soften the effect of large unrealistic waves over a large surface.

Hope that helps you both!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    kyle.rau wrote: »
    Think I didn't word it properly heh...

I have a material + particle setup similar to what you have, basically emitting little planes with planning normal maps in the distortion channel. It is working fine, and everything behind the emitter when looking at it from the side appears to distort, just like yours ACCEPT when I have a mesh, lets say a glass ball (which is a translucent material), behind the emitter. The distortion doesn't affect the mesh, it literally looks like it is masked out. The rest of the environment behind and around the glass mesh distort, but the glass stays the same. Its like meshes with BLEND_Translucent materials on them can't be distorted by other materials between them and the camera.

Thanks for the quick reply btw :)
    This is due to Translucent materials in UDK not being rendered in the depth buffer - ie. UDK doesn't know which pixels are closer to the camera.

To fix this in the Material, go to the Translucency options in the Material Editor and check both "Use lit Translucency Depth Pass" and "Use lit translucency Post Render Depth pass".
    This should help to a certain extent.

You can also go into the properties of a specific StaticMesh in the scene (select + F4) and change it's translucency sorting order. This works best for background objects best - such as giving an underwater scene's ocean surface a Sorting Priority of '-1' as it is always going to be at the back of a picture.

I know you posted this back in August and probably have fixed it yourself by now, but I thought I better post an answer anyway to help others hitting the same problem :)
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Animation

Can someone give me a break down or know of any tutorials for how rigged animation exports from maya 2012 to UDK.

I take it we use FBX now? as Active X has been scrapped?

Cheers.

I just saw this on a 3DSmax thread but I think it will work for Maya, I will give it a try and be back to tell you how I got on.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91585&highlight=animation+fbx

Vailias on Yesterday 02:06 AM

First: Export your main weighted mesh as an FBX, without animation.
    Import this as your skeletal mesh. (make sure animations are not checked on this export)

Next: export your animations to Fbx files. I believe one file per sequence, as there is no internal sequence delimiting or import options that I have found.
    Make sure frame 0 of every imported sequence is the same as your bind pose.

Also make sure to have animations checked in the export settings.

Open the skeletal mesh/animation viewer in UDK. Go to file->import sequence or whatever is close to that idea.
    Then select your FBX files that are anims only.
    They'll import with sequence names set to the file name.

misunderstood that you weren't doing skeletal animation:

For non skeletal animation you can bring it in as a morph target I believe. I highly highly recommend either making a simple skeleton to do the ambient animation you want on, as it is much less CPU intensive than vertex animation. Either that, or bring in your animating bits as separate static meshes and animate the rotation via matinee.
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    It should be noted that Epic has updated the FBX Skeletal Animation page on the UDN with the November build with a more detailed explanation of the process (with pictures!).

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXSkeletalMeshPipeline.html
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    odd_enough wrote: »
    It should be noted that Epic has updated the FBX Skeletal Animation page on the UDN with the November build with a more detailed explanation of the process (with pictures!).

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXSkeletalMeshPipeline.html

U R A *, thank you, I was just falling a sleep on my keyboard but this news has spurred me on.:)
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    What's happened to the weapons in udk?

I opened an old map to show someone how to attach a light to a weapon but the weapons have gone?

Ammo pick ups and my AI bots have also gone from the level?

What is going on?