Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come across a problem that I've had tons and never figured out how to sort it.
    I seems to arise when I start increasing the number of objects using light maps.
    Basically the light map LOD's randomly pop in and out as the player walks around the environment.

Video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYAjpmBFLE&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Did some more searching and the only fix I've found is setting bUseMaxQualityMode in UDKengine.ini to true. Not as elegant a solution as I'd have liked, but a solution nonetheless...

EDIT AGAIN: It seems this has stopped working for some strange reason so I'm back to square one.:(
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Hey quick Cascade question: Doesn anyone know if it's possible to get mesh particles to collide with each other?
  • AbominableSoul
    Ive got a question for everyone: January 2012 - current builds of udk.

Now, i know that multiplayer was busted in the january build. For the Life of us, my friends and i tried and tired, but we couldnt set up any multiplayer matches on home networks or school networks. never connected.

firewalls disabled(to the dismay of profs and anger of the IT drones), UDK allowed through everything, port forwarding, direct ip connect, nothing connected for multiplayer.

Has the multiplayer function been fixed at all with the July 2012 build?

I'll be getting it anyway because of the Perforce...which is fucking awesome.

However, i still need to get multiplayer to work.
    and ive run out of ideas...

so if its not fixed in this latest version..ill be slightly annoyed >.>
  • AbominableSoul
    fearian wrote: »
    Hey quick Cascade question: Doesn anyone know if it's possible to get mesh particles to collide with each other?

not at my comp to check now...but there should be a Collision node that you can add to the particles via right clicking it in cascade.
  • terrybuchan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone. I'm having some problems regarding the lighting in a project i am working on. The issue i have is with doors within a corridor. Now these doors are Skeletal Meshes and have custom animation on them they can be walked through. They are being lit by their own dynamic lights. Everything else is made up of static meshes.

One of these meshes doesn't seem to be lighting correctly, and all the others are. The problem is that the closer you get to the object, it starts to get darker and darker. Almost as if it is LODing in a darker texture or something. I've attached some images:

Here is what the mesh looks like from a distance (semi-ok):

setup1.jpg

And when we get closer:

setup2.jpg

I've got no idea why this is happening, since i have identical meshes in the vicinity and they are lighting fine, but only this one behaves in correctly. Although if i drag a different mesh to the area, they behave the same!

Another shot of the scene:

setup.jpg

I've also got a shot of the settings within the Skeletal Mesh. The main options that seem to effect the lighting are 'Synthesis SHLight' and 'Light Environment Component'. The current settings i have seem to get the mesh to light correctly, until the camera moves that is.

settings.jpg

I thought it could be lightmapping issues, but since this mesh is recieving dynamic light that doesn't come into play, right?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my problem.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Did you disable Light Environment Component on purpose? Also, i'd check if lighting channels are set corretly just in case.
  • terrybuchan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Jacky. I did some research on Light Environment Components and seems like they are needed, i achieved a better resut with it on and deleteing my dynamc lights.

Incidently, does anyone know how to tell a BSP object not to recieve shadows? I can work around this by telling objects near it not to cast shadows, but they then stop recieving shadows themselves.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Hey i'm having a problem with lights shafts in udk sometime when you play the level they get offset or something. Anyone know why?

In game
    corridor_render_05.jpg
    In editor
    corridor_render_06.jpg
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having some strange problems with framerate issues.

If I choose to 'Play from here', the framerate hovers around 70 FPS.
    But when I choose 'Play on PC', the framerate struggles to hit 30 FPS.

Oh, It's also worth noting that It's a UDK wide problem for me, I've tried multiple maps and they always perform worse when choosing 'Play On PC'.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Whenever I try to add a new terrain layer the current paint gets screwed up and I get black squares all over the terrain that can't be fixed unless I remove the new terrain.
  • AbominableSoul
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    Whenever I try to add a new terrain layer the current paint gets screwed up and I get black squares all over the terrain that can't be fixed unless I remove the new terrain.

If you can, use Landscape as Terrain is eventually going to be phased out i believe.

However, if you are using landscape and this happens, its because:

a) the material isnt set up properly

b) you have to paint the landscape after you apply the material. sometimes when you apply it, it will go black. once you start painting, the areas you paint will be fine, the rest will be black. i usually just zoom out and paint the whole landscape piece at once and then go in and do the details.

Hopefully that helps..unless you used Terrain...because I've only used landscape XD
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I converted it to landscape. The only problem now is that LOD's destroy the landscape completely. Is there anyway I can at least quadruple the LOD range? My "small" rivers dissapears unless I'm actually standing in them.
  • AbominableSoul
    hmm...are the rivers painted onto the landscape ooor have you made little valleys in the landscape and put a water material over them?
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    I'm getting pixelation on my textures when I look at them in UDK's viewport. I tried the Defer Compression as well as the LOD Group workarounds, at both the spec and diffuse textures, but the pixelation is still there. The diffuse look alright in unlit mode, so I'm thinking that the problem is related to the spec map. Could anyone help out with this?

2A4TE.jpg
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm...are the rivers painted onto the landscape ooor have you made little valleys in the landscape and put a water material over them?

Made little valleys, but I decided to continue working with the terrain editor instead of the landscape one since landscape don't support tessellation. Also found a solution to my problem above, but don't know if it actually works or not haven't tested yet but that is to delete the material layers and start over.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    I'm having a small problem with the lightmass in UDK. Today I have added some specular maps in my scene and tweaked them a little bit, added a spotlight to be able to see some nice lighting with the camera's angle, everything went perfect until I rebuilt the lighting (I had the lighting built before adding specularity to the material). Before rebuilding the specularity worked fine, when the spotlight wasn't baked, but after it was baked, it all dissapeared and looked like when there was no spotlight. Here are some screenshots of the issue:
    baking1_by_skate54-d5d1zmm.png
    baking2_by_skate54-d5d1znk.png
    So, is there a way to tell lightmass to not build a specific light, to let it be as it is (dynamic) before building? But only that light, not all the scene.
  • OMGiFARTED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot wrote: »
    I'm having a small problem with the lightmass in UDK. Today I have added some specular maps in my scene and tweaked them a little bit, added a spotlight to be able to see some nice lighting with the camera's angle, everything went perfect until I rebuilt the lighting (I had the lighting built before adding specularity to the material). Before rebuilding the specularity worked fine, when the spotlight wasn't baked, but after it was baked, it all dissapeared and looked like when there was no spotlight. Here are some screenshots of the issue:

So, is there a way to tell lightmass to not build a specific light, to let it be as it is (dynamic) before building? But only that light, not all the scene.

We some more info to help you out. Can you send screens for your shader work. Also, how many lights do you have set up in your scene? What are they? And yes...you can have a specific lights light only specific things.

I also saw your other post. There is a shader network that uses vertex painting so you can get a moss over the ground looking good.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    OMGiFARTED wrote: »
    We some more info to help you out. Can you send screens for your shader work. Also, how many lights do you have set up in your scene? What are they? And yes...you can have a specific lights light only specific things.

I also saw your other post. There is a shader network that uses vertex painting so you can get a moss over the ground looking good.

At the moment I have only 2 lights, a dominant directional light and a spotlight, but I don't want it to light specific things, I just want lightmass to ignore it at baking, so it remains a dynamic light (and that way later on when I'll add more foliage and props the specularity remains on the ground and I'll be able to have some nice shadows also :) ), because when I build lighting the specularity in the ground dissapears. Thanks for the suggestion about vertex paint, I will try to add that to my shader :). Well, here's a screenshot of my shder network. It uses MLM_Custom: Screenshot(huge)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I know I've seen it mentioned on Polycount before, but I don't think anyone had a solution at the time.

My question is, why can I not drag items from the Content Browser into my scene which were imported using .fbx?
    Similarly, I can't drag Materials onto the .fbx-imported Static Meshes either.

Is this just something I'm going to have to put up with?
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I have been dragging fbx static meshes from the content browser into my scene all the time. I have January's UDK. What build do you have?
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using the current build, "UDK-2012-07".
    As far as I'm aware, it hasn't worked for months (for me, at least).
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    You could always hold-S+Left Click with those meshes, Calalot. It's quicker than the dragging method anyway, iho
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This information pleases me.
    @blankslatejoe - I thank you sir! :D
  • doggett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot wrote: »
    At the moment I have only 2 lights, a dominant directional light and a spotlight, but I don't want it to light specific things, I just want lightmass to ignore it at baking, so it remains a dynamic light

Have you looked through the light's properties? [F4]
    ForceDynamicLight should still be an option.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    doggett wrote: »
    Have you looked through the light's properties? [F4]
    ForceDynamicLight should still be an option.
    Yes, but I only found parameters to cast shadows on dynamic objects, no parameters that forces lightmass to ignore the light at baking, I'll try to enable some of those parameters related to dynamic objects, not sure about them but I'll try it. I've tried ForceDynamicLighting aswell but in the distance the shadows looked really weird, with stripes so I left it.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    I just thought I'd ask here before starting a thread:
    I currently only have two point lights in the scene.
    Seems to be some weird sort of angular shading.
    smoothingerror.jpg
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang - point light, light a limited surface. If they are too small prepare for large shadow.
    -You can bake the lighting and/or bake the lightmap resolution on the surface and mesh. It may remove pixelated shadow or making them less preominent
    I'm doing a pseudo(because it have a certain deepness) 2.5D sidescroller, with a fixed camera

So do it exist a way to move the character depending on the camera position instead of the player position?

Like you push W to move forward no matter what position you are. Because if the guy face the right side if I push the W button he move to the right. If it back on the camera pushing the W button will move him forward and so one
  • Le_Qu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi GuyZ
    I am new in UDK and
    I would dlike to know where i can find a lot of information(web site,online classe ect,) and tuto about Cascade for gaming fx in UDK.
    Thx for your answer !!
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys wondering if you can help me with this problem I've got.

I want to use the foliage tool to place a static mesh around my scene but I want the instances to use a few different material instances I've created but I can't seem to work out how to do it.

Right now the foliage tool is just painting the static mesh with the master material I have assigned to it and there is no way I can seem to select and assign a different material to an instance. Any way I can get it to randomly assign some of the other material instances I have created?

I really don't want to place each static mesh manually to get around this.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Dibbz wrote: »
    Hey guys wondering if you can help me with this problem I've got.

I want to use the foliage tool to place a static mesh around my scene but I want the instances to use a few different material instances I've created but I can't seem to work out how to do it.

Right now the foliage tool is just painting the static mesh with the master material I have assigned to it and there is no way I can seem to select and assign a different material to an instance. Any way I can get it to randomly assign some of the other material instances I have created?

I really don't want to place each static mesh manually to get around this.

You could create 2-3(how many you want) copies of the object, apply material instances to them and then put them in the foliage and paint by giving each object a random value.
  • Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    Jacky wrote: »
    You could create 2-3(how many you want) copies of the object, apply material instances to them and then put them in the foliage and paint by giving each object a random value.

Ahhh I feel so dumb. It's so obvious, thanks for helping out. :)
  • GILBoY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GILBoY polycounter lvl 6
    hey guys i need some help I am looking for a way to make a WET material on UDK like this

ex_wet_anim.gif

i already seen several tutorials but none are very clear on how to do any suggestions!?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just testing out a mesh in UDK with a 512 texture (basic stuff, looks fine in Maya) and seem to be getting some horrible compression, any idea how to change it? When I re-import the texture it looks fine, as soon as I go to save package it goes back to being gash. Any help appreciated :)

JtOme.jpg
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another UDK lighting problem, I'm really not liking how these pop up out of nowhere...

Basically, parts of my scene are being strangely lit, everything except ceiling and floor is being lit using vertex lighting, I extended my scene a bit earlier and all of a sudden the lighting has broken in some areas.

An image to better illustrate my problem, on top all is fine, in the lower screenshot something has gone horribly wrong.
    These areas share very similar geometry and identical lighting, all was fine earlier until I extended the scene in another area...any help?

brokenlighting.png
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daft.Eng wrote: »
    all was fine earlier until I extended the scene in another area...any help?

I have a feeling you might've moved those things outside your LightmassImportanceVolume.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    MarianneM wrote: »
    KarlWrang - point light, light a limited surface. If they are too small prepare for large shadow.
    -You can bake the lighting and/or bake the lightmap resolution on the surface and mesh. It may remove pixelated shadow or making them less preominent
    Yeah, must have been something weird like that. Thannks! :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GILBoY wrote: »
    hey guys i need some help I am looking for a way to make a WET material on UDK like this

ex_wet_anim.gif

i already seen several tutorials but none are very clear on how to do any suggestions!?
    Didn't the place where you got the above image help?

ex_wet_full.jpg

The problem with the above method is that the "water" will always run from top to bottom on an object's UVs. Meaning that a complex unwrap will produce some odd results.
    To get around this, I made a material that instead assigns the water effect to cylindrical UVs that are created in the material. It will then create 'pooling' effects where the water will rest in crevices on top of an object.
    I also went about the effect in a different manner, using BumpOffset nodes to create a distortion effect as well as adding the ability to vertex paint in dry areas on the object.

Here is my Material graph from UDK, hopefully it is easy to understand:

jWW9n.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daft.Eng wrote: »
    Another UDK lighting problem, I'm really not liking how these pop up out of nowhere...

Basically, parts of my scene are being strangely lit, everything except ceiling and floor is being lit using vertex lighting, I extended my scene a bit earlier and all of a sudden the lighting has broken in some areas.

An image to better illustrate my problem, on top all is fine, in the lower screenshot something has gone horribly wrong.
    These areas share very similar geometry and identical lighting, all was fine earlier until I extended the scene in another area...any help?

brokenlighting.png
    What is the wireframe like on the models which use vertex lighting?
    As it will only measure accurate lighting on the exact position of the vertices on your meshes. The engine will then create a linear gradient between the lighting values of three vertices to shade a polygon.

If the exact same mesh is lighting in a completely different manner, you may possibly need to rebuild lighting again to clear the baked lighting information on those meshes. Failing that, check View > World Properties > Lightmass > Force No Precomputed Lighting and build lighting again to see if the issue persists even then.

Hope that helps, mate.
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    What is the wireframe like on the models which use vertex lighting?
    As it will only measure accurate lighting on the exact position of the vertices on your meshes. The engine will then create a linear gradient between the lighting values of three vertices to shade a polygon.

If the exact same mesh is lighting in a completely different manner, you may possibly need to rebuild lighting again to clear the baked lighting information on those meshes. Failing that, check View > World Properties > Lightmass > Force No Precomputed Lighting and build lighting again to see if the issue persists even then.

Hope that helps, mate.

Thanks, the problem disappeared when I set the lighting build quality to preview, but persisted every time I set it back to medium.
    Saying that, I just toggled Force No Precomputed Lighting on and off and gave it a quick medium build again and everything's back to normal.
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I want to import the new texture for my particle system but it always say: import failed.

Additional info:
    -It's not about the map or package it don't even work on any new package
    -It's some 256x256 Targa files named fire-2 and fire_mask-2
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm.....make sure it's actually 256x256--the importer will fail on off sizes. I think it will also fail if the color mode is set to like...grayscale or anything weird in photoshop. Stick with the RBG color mode.

I'm not positive, but TGA's also might fail if they're not set to 24 or 32bit (basically 3channel or 4channel). I dunno for sure.
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Thanks, it was just a tiny proportion typo. Now I corrected it to 256x256
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guy? Anyone know a way to share UDK level/map file on the internet? Because my mario UDK level is now playable and I want to share it, like this guy http://crashbandicoothd.blogspot.ca/
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    recently I decided my enviroment needed dust in the air so I have been searching for a good deatailed particle tut, I have just recently seen one on Eat 3d and that was okay at best.:poly127:

Im sure there are others who will hear my call. :poly122:
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariannem--look at UDN's page for cooking/packing the game using the UnrealFrontend tool--it should be able to create a standalone .exe installer file you.
  • MarianneM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    done. but when I open and save the .exe the camera stay jammed and don't move along the player contrary to what happen UDK editor
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that could be a ton of different things--you might simply just need to connect the matinee to a level-loaded event in kismet? Of, you might need to make sureyou have a director group to switch the camera from the player cam. If you search on UDN, there's a cinematic/matinee tutorial that should get you going.