How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank triangle
    @FinnIsengardt If it's a separated piece in real life, then there's no need to make it as one piece in 3d as well.
    You can do it as one piece, but it would take just too much geometry and it would be harder for no good reason (at least IMO).

In this piece you're showing I'd actually model those white metal pieces as separated pieces.
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn polycounter lvl 2
    I actually thought of modelling it one piece, because in case of seperated approach I'd have to make a hole to fit the extra piece in anyway. Then I'd just inset and extrude it out again.
    On the other hand the geometry gets more complex, so maybe making it seperate would be the easiere approach.

I think I'll just do both ways and then see on my own which workflow is best :P
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 2
    Hi,
    I was trying "Sachet" modeling but not finding a nice process.
    Anyone know any tutorial or its process. Thanks.

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank triangle
    It's almost a plane with a texture '-'
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 2
    Yes... here is my attempt. Inner part I did with noise deformer to make bumpy but as reference... I think this is manually.

• perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @iacdxb
    Let boil for ten minutes. If you're feeling creative add some halal chicken.
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez greentooth
    @iacdxb ;You're on the right track, just experiment with it. I would model it clean, UV it, then use a cloth sim or sculpt it by hand, or do a displacement map with a cloth height map for quick iterations. 
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 2
    @ Thanez; thanks for the update.

• anaho
    Offline / Send Message
    anaho polycounter lvl 7
    wirrexx said:
    mobpapst said:
    Hey guys,

i'm asking myself how to tackle this piece here. any ideas how to get these carzy forms the best way?

block it out, build the geometry as simple as possibles, without booleans, just seperate pieces. 
    I hate to admit that even after years of modeling I would not know where to start easy shapes like the detached parts/knobs aside.
    There is very little information on doing blockouts with a boolean workflow in mind effiecently on the net. In result people start hacking away at the model most of the time making their lifes harder. If anyone knows a good tutorial on how to do parametric blockouts on complex objects like this, please post them. Perna once posted this http://polycount.com/discussion/106272/perplexed-still-on-low-high-poly-manipulation/p1 but to be honest I never understood what was really going on in these pictures,

• RashedAlmetrami
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, been trying to model this Muzzle-break for a while now, all of which have given me pretty meh results. I'm trying to Boolean out the holes using a shape that has a slight angle to it so it recreates the slant indicated below.  The topology it leaves is hard to re-work and just generally doesn't look too good. Maybe there's a better way to approach this?

My attempt:

As you can see it don't look too great. Any ideas or tips on how to make something like this?

Thanks!

• perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    Rashed, if you want the shape of the yellow part, just tweak your boolean operator until it looks right as you're going the right direction. Just a heads up - none of the concept images match up with each other, and your mesh doesn't match up with any of them. It looks like the problem here is unrelated to booleans or any mesh-technical issues but is simply about reading references correctly. Can't you find a blueprint or other orthogonal images for this?
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 6
    @perna I have a blueprint for the Panzer IV but there are a lot of versions of the Panzer IV muzzle so I'm only using the BP as a guide. I tweaked about with the topology of the boolean operator and this is my result. 

• philipp.bogdanovskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    philipp.bogdanovskiy polycounter lvl 5
    somedoggy said:
    I wanted to push myself and so made this challenge for myself and to share with others:

First paragraph is my own challenge. The second bit should be super easy but may present a good beginner's challenge.

Now I can do the geometry, a bit of touch up, and get it shading just fine. But I want to do it procedurally and perfectionist. Clean enough to pass as CAD or go home. I've searched pretty extensively through here, pinterest, perna's gdrive, etc, and could not find anything really quite matching this challenge. This is more a high level problem ensuring the modeling tools respect the desired curvature perfectly, not an issue of not knowing the geometry flow needed.

Here's my first attempt, which I knew wouldn't be what I want, but helps explain why it's hard:

The problem areas are -
    a) Creating support loops which respect shape 1's curvature, while keeping shape 2's profile constant.
    b) Drew this arrow a bit wrong. It should be nudged to the right some. Shape 2's extrusion must be constant and form/curvature respecting so the chamfering applied afterwards is also perfect.
    c) Inside dips inward due to insetting a curved surface.

These are essentially the same issue explained with "c": Getting the curvature of 1, while keeping the form of 2. I think this is a pretty cool and difficult challenge and hope others are interested in tackling it or offering some thoughts!
    Why not to bend, and than cap it? Otherwise crease.
  • somedoggy
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy greentooth
    Because to support the shape correctly you need equidistant support geo. Bending the bottom capsule after adding that support geo stretches it. Insetting after the bend to create the support geo doesn't work either because it doesn't maintain integrity of the flat capsule's flat surface. Quad chamfer after bending might work but I didn't have it at the time.
  • Brody999999
    Hi Guys,
    Im Usiny Maya 2016 & moddeling a character, following a tutorial & it just sais "Create Locators" it doesnt show how, was hoping for some hints
  • GuanAndOnly
    Offline / Send Message
    GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 4
    somedoggy said:
    Because to support the shape correctly you need equidistant support geo. Bending the bottom capsule after adding that support geo stretches it. Insetting after the bend to create the support geo doesn't work either because it doesn't maintain integrity of the flat capsule's flat surface. Quad chamfer after bending might work but I didn't have it at the time.
    I feel like I'm completely missing the point of the challenge, but isn't it just an extrusion straight out from the primary capsule and a bevel at the connecting ring? 
  • somedoggy
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy greentooth
    That's what I did, but couldn't replicate the accuracy I desired. I was looking for the smoothness of the NDO example.
  • Callisto
    Offline / Send Message
    Callisto vertex
    Hello guys,
    I am kinda beginner, trying to ride Blender. Could you please give me some tips how to make those holes? I've tried to make them out of quads, which I placed in the right order, but it didn't work well. I have to model a damn lot of different stuff like that with different amount of holes all the sizes. I guess, I should use something other than playing around the geometry of the primitives? Please, give me some direction to dig.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @Callisto,

You ask for help, but you don't describe the problem you have, the nature of the technical difficulties you're running into, or show your failed attempts, meaning you expect whoever helps you (for free) to use their spare time to exhaustively cover the entire process.

The general rule here is that low-effort questions tend to receive low-effort answers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, how do I make these edges hard ? Adding a loop also affects circle part, for which I am going to use turbosmooth. Just can't get this working. I want to make it a brick with two holes in it.

• perna
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 4
    @perna Thanks, it worked !
  • Michael Knubben
    I considered warning Perna for enabling such a lazy post.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    lolel I try not to be an asshole for once and see what happens

I'll take my temporary ban like a men
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @Filip5

I'm back, and below is the reason I was banned. The idea is that this is fundamental knowledge and I encouraged a low-effort post.

• Pedro Amorim
  • GuanAndOnly
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I'm trying to figure out using gras/leaf cards.
    I'm reading Berker Siino's breakdown here: https://80.lv/articles/unreal-engine-4-stylized-rendering-workflow/
    From my understanding it's rendering planes onto a sheet to use as textures, and you uv cards onto the right places.
    I've tried doing that with some primitives:

Now my question is, what is a power of 2 plane, and would (or could) I get the same results purely by painting these patches directly in photoshop or something and cutting them out afterwards? Or is there something special about baking it? :0
  • supaclueless
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 8
    @GuanAndOnly ; when someone says power of 2 (in regards to textures, plane meshes size, etc), it usually means following the scale of units of numbers on the power of 2 (IE: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, so on so forth). I am not well-versed enough in engine design for utilizing textures but the short hand is most game engines use ^2 resolution sizes for textures (sometimes 1/2 size on vertical, IE: (1024,512). But is mostly commonly (512,512)(1024,1024), etc etc.
  • GuanAndOnly
    Offline / Send Message
    @GuanAndOnly ; when someone says power of 2 (in regards to textures, plane meshes size, etc), it usually means following the scale of units of numbers on the power of 2 (IE: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, so on so forth). I am not well-versed enough in engine design for utilizing textures but the short hand is most game engines use ^2 resolution sizes for textures (sometimes 1/2 size on vertical, IE: (1024,512). But is mostly commonly (512,512)(1024,1024), etc etc.
    Oh dang, thanks for that! I'm familiar with typical texture resolutions and whatnot, but I've never heard the term.
    Cheers!
  • Vent
    Offline / Send Message
    Vent polycounter lvl 7
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

This might seem like a fairly simple shape, but I'm having some trouble with it. I'm pretty bad with topology.

This is what I'm attempting.

And this is my attempt. It feels messy, and wrong. I've been doing this for a while, but I'm a novice when it comes to subdivision modelling. 

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Edit: I attempted to fix the triangle problem, but I still feel like I'm going about this wrong. With this flow how would I place edge loops without disrupting the curve of the front of the receiver?

• GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 6
    @Vent

The most important part is to make sure the edge of the cylinder is creases the 1/2 cylinder.  This preserves the circle.

I did make a mistake on this and I didn't notice that the edge is beveled.  Nonetheless you should be able to figure out the rest.

• perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    Vent: Simply draw, in 2d, lines on where the hard edges go on the photo ref. Now do the same on your model. You'll find they don't match at all. What you're having here is not a technical modeling problem, you have a problem seeing the ref.

Once you've seen what the shape actually is you will find it easy to model.

If you run into problems after this, post your overpaints and I'll let you know what's going wrong.
  • sheheryar_noor
  • heklis
    Offline / Send Message
    heklis polycounter lvl 9
    sheheryar_noor

Not super correct with some friendly ngons maybe someone show you better topo...
  • sheheryar_noor
    Offline / Send Message
    sheheryar_noor polycounter lvl 4
    I appreciate your [email protected] But the problem (either i am seeing and understanding it wrong) is the top area.
    I see this part as " " Bottom part(cylinder) and the top part are attached/welded till red line .In your result http://prntscr.com/f0bs9v top and bottom parts are attached till small red line, and green line shows to have the attachment below i will have to extrude more polygon till green line.
    After seeing your result an idea just hit me, will post my another try. Thanks for helping

• perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @sheheryar_noor & @heklis

Image below.

Imagine how long it would take to weld every single line you indicated in red, for every single link on every single ammo belt produced...

• heklis
    Offline / Send Message
    heklis polycounter lvl 9
    @perna
    yep u are right i just check one picture and dont understand it. Its just one bended sheet of metal... I hope its right now.

• sheheryar_noor
    Offline / Send Message
    sheheryar_noor polycounter lvl 4
    Ty Perna and Heklis. Heklis i think your first attempt was OK.  Following Perna pattern(yellow line) i finally did it but single face (without shell). Now going to apply shell before extruding wings. Thanks [email protected] and Kelis
  • TheWiredFrame
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWiredFrame polycounter lvl 5
    I've been trying to get back into modelling lately with Blender and decided to try doing a MiG-21 because I thought it looked reasonably straightforward as far as fighter jets go. The canopy is giving me major problems tho and despite many different approaches I just can't get my head around how to accurately reproduce the shape of the forward section.

You can see what I'm talking about here:

And also in a very nice 3D render from an angle to get a better idea of the exact shape here:

Clearly, the canopy begins at the rear by being a simple cylinder shape extending from that "spine" or whatever on top of the aircraft. Going forward it gets more complicated. There's a kind of metal band going around the cylinder, then after that it appears the sides continue the cylindrical shape of the rear while tapering inward, with a flat section facing the pilot surrounded by a rounded metal frame.
    This front section is surprisingly complex and I'm especially not sure how to make the metal frame look right once I've approximated the shape. I found this video, which helped a bit...

...but I still can't create and position a cylinder where if I cut the front plane the sides will also look about right. Then I'm not sure about the complicated corners of the frame either and I'm not sure where I'd begin to do those properly.

Whenever I try, it usually ends up looking like on the left here and then I'm not sure where to go. Probably more vertices would help, but I was originally planning to do it as low poly as I could, hoping it wouldn't take as long. Ironically going higher poly might make it easier to approximate...

On the right is the same with Subdivision Surface and a 1.0 Edge Crease on the front face. That always seems to make the area around the crease look weird with the lighting etc. How should it be done to make it look somewhat like in the previous render? I'm not even aiming for a particularly high quality or level of realism here TBH, just something that looks recognizably like it portrays the general shape with some accuracy.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @TheWiredFrame , I struggled a bit to understand what the issue is. I believe it can be boiled down to the topology of the triangular part of the canopy, which you now have represented as a triangle and quad (not going to subdivide too well).

The following shows clean triangle topology. You'll have good flow and all-quads as long as at least two of the sides have the same number of edges.

• GhostInTheShell
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostInTheShell polycounter lvl 3
     Hi guys, i was attempting model muscles and trying to get the shapes of the fiber correctly, i have tons and tons of reference that i could get, i did a lot of alphas too, tryed nanomesh too, but i don't think that i get the aspect that i want yet, so if possible could you guys give me some insight on how i can approuch this?

Thanks in advance.

>some alphas that i did

>some nanomesh attempting

• Callisto
    Offline / Send Message
    Callisto vertex
    Hello again, thank you very much for the answer, and I'm sorry for being inaccurate with rules. I have another question, about these corners. They get arcs when smoothed, what is an appropriate way to avoid that? I would also take any advices to make my geometry better. Thank you again.

• NegInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    NegInfinity vertex
    Need advice with something. I'm using blender 3d.

How do I model an "anime" head based on extremely stylized reference? 

Example (please ignore messed up hair):
    model
    References used:

Basically... heavily stylyzed head shape gives me grief and I'm not sure how to produce this kind of effect:
    With polygons.

Any advice?  My issue is anatomy - I'm not sure how to deal with huge eyes while still having some semblance of proper face structure. Original image is flat and has parts that subtly ignores anatomy/perspective. Also, typical recommendation to "insert sphere and use it as eyeball" doesn't exactly work in this case due to eye size. 

• perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @Callisto , see my last reply to filip5 above. You're missing fundamental knowledge of sub-division modeling.

@NegInfinity, there's no technical answer to your question. Getting those shapes right is a matter of artistry and proper anatomy study. Oh, and mostly ignoring the reference as it's 2D, and you want to make a 3D shape. Two very different things.
  • NegInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    NegInfinity vertex
    @perna Erm... did I ask this question in a wrong forum/thread? If so, my apologies. This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time, and this thread looked like the right place to ask about it.... 
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox ngon master
    @perna Erm... did I ask this question in a wrong forum/thread? If so, my apologies. This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time, and this thread looked like the right place to ask about it.... 
    study the guys who do this great. you will not be able to translate this 1:1 into 3d as the reference doesn't care about correct perspective from any angle.

https://sketchfab.com/search?q=anime

just searching anime on sketchfab gives you a ton of reference to check out :)