Home Stickies

[P&P] - What are you working on? 2008 Edition

Replies

• System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Shimmer ImSlightlyBored Junkie_XL wow, bling 8)

Wall 1024x1024 1234 tris
    diffuse, specular, glossiness, normal
    x normal
    wallmax3.jpg
    max screengrab
    wallmax.jpg
    Looking to put this on a portfoilio so any crits would be really helpful:thumbup:
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Damn alex, I know I say this a lot but you are constant inspiration man, the touch ups you did to that art test is really nice man, each piece you are getting better and better :)

Rawk onz!
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    GCMP:
    Very nice work. Though i cant really tell that a specular is at play...yet :)
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Dekard wrote: »
    you plan on making this a portfolio piece? It might be offensive to some folks. :thumbdown:

Aye, I plan on using this in portfolio.

Religious topics aren't new to games, movies, stories or cinema - I probably wouldn't like working for someone easily offended by art anyhow, regardless of the subject.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    GCMP, following up what butt_sahib said, in xnormal- make your spec color brighter than all- this brings it out alot.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    Aye, I plan on using this in portfolio.

Religious topics aren't new to games, movies, stories or cinema - I probably wouldn't like working for someone easily offended by art anyhow, regardless of the subject.

Well, in the way you are portraying could possibly be new and offensive. You aren't killing demons, etc..

I'm just suggesting you'd be better off portraying a neutral point of view with a 'portfolio piece' since you are selling yourself rather then put something someone might offensive you'd want to sell yourself and your art not your ideals and views, and not everyone that views your site might not be the person you'd end up working for, imagine that the HR person saw your work and before even forwarding your work she was offended and instead just went to the next prospective employee. Now, if you just label it something innocuous it won't be a huge deal, but if you label it in your portfolio "MACHINE THAT HOLDS BODY OF CHRIST AFTER SECOND COMING TO SYPHON HIS ENERGY TO USE AS A WEAPON" you might have some issues with folks.
  • DrillerKiller
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    some lunch doodles
    giant.jpg
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks for the advice, didn't add specular map to xnormal render as there seemed there was no place for one, is there a way to see specular and or glosiness with xnormal?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    20081120-003.jpg

Couldn't come up with anything fun for the DK challenge at GA.org last night, so I did this quick paint (from reference). Trying to get better with colour, refine my workflow and generally speed up my painting.
    Bit over an hour.

-caseyjones
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    everyone, what gender is this?

4ugv7o.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks feminine to me.

-caseyjones
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    everyone, what gender is this?

Hermaphrodite? LOL
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    *jumpsoutthewindow*
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    Well, in the way you are portraying could possibly be new and offensive. You aren't killing demons, etc..

I'm just suggesting you'd be better off portraying a neutral point of view with a 'portfolio piece' since you are selling yourself rather then put something someone might offensive you'd want to sell yourself and your art not your ideals and views, and not everyone that views your site might not be the person you'd end up working for, imagine that the HR person saw your work and before even forwarding your work she was offended and instead just went to the next prospective employee. Now, if you just label it something innocuous it won't be a huge deal, but if you label it in your portfolio "MACHINE THAT HOLDS BODY OF CHRIST AFTER SECOND COMING TO SYPHON HIS ENERGY TO USE AS A WEAPON" you might have some issues with folks.

indeed sir, indeed. at this point, all that will be included in the portfolio is that it is called The Ark and it looks cool. The backstory is actually less blasphemous than implied, and I'd be glad to share it in another thread. Good point though, not aiming to hurt anyone's feelings, just making arts.

Here's updates on texture:
    ark03-1.jpg

edit: JohnnyRaptor - female imo
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, didn't add specular map to xnormal render as there seemed there was no place for one, is there a way to see specular and or glosiness with xnormal?
    yeah there should be!
    I always recall it accepting specular slots and a seperate gloss slot.
    Might be wrong as I never use gloss maps as a seperate file so dont use it in xnormal, but theres definitely a spec map slot.

I was in a rush last time I posted so I'll make make it a little clearer (Sorry!)
    basically if you keep your spec at bright white and knock down ambient and light colors to something greyer (or equivalent values) then your spec will quite literally shine through. It's not entirely accurate to what you'll get in engine, (without shader work) but its good to check if your spec is working the way you want it to etc.

As for your piece, I would suggest (as its going to a portfolio) making it modular and getting a lot of pieces out of your single texture sheet. Lego sets are king! For brick walls I like to do broken variants, as you can easily get single bricks out of a tiled texture.

Couple of minor things as well if you dont mind
    Bricks are a little red for my liking. (I accept that bricks come in all shapes and colours!)

AO bake.

Make it a little more obvious where the concrete blocks meet the brick wall. This could just be some little cracking on the bricks (maybe a little growth growing from the cracks?) as well as a little bit of wear on the edging of the concrete.

Try and describe where the bricks and concrete meet the ground maybe? Bricks tend to go a different colour when they touch the ground, courtesy of dampness etc.

On a design note, I feel like the tops of the brickwork could be perhaps plastered/concreted over. One thing I remember as a kid is that brick walls arent ever really brick on top, they were always surfaced differently so they were a joy to walk on. But I think this might be erring on the side of personal preference, so go with what you think for that.

And finally, what I like doing when I get to do bricks is modelling a few loose bricks, and then making them sit out from the wall a little bit. When these cast shadows it looks effective alongside a good normal map, at the cost of what, 8 tris a brick? good deal! Same can be said for cutting in to your texture and insetting a brick a slight amount, though that can be more expensive so I wouldnt use it as frequently.

Oh and finally, finally, on a similar note, I'd push those concrete blocks out a little to break the boxiness of it and then they'll cast shadows over the bricks, too, as well as compliment SSAO if its being used.

I know it seems like I've said alot, but its all just real small crits tbh.

@JohnnyRaptor:
    Female I think, but one thats got jimmy chin-itis and or is eating a particularly large toffee. Not an.. er, overly female girl, but more feminine than a guy.
  • Adam Curtis
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 15
    Johnny- hrmm female i'd say!

Driller- lol I like the eyes :) awesome.

Got some free time on my hands, started a head - been messing around with the hair tonite, will be back on the face/ear/cloth in the morning. Think I may cheer her up a bit as well :P

girl.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    Here's updates on texture:
    ark03-1.jpg

I think this looks bad ass. And to be completely honest I wouldn't have a clue what it's purpose was if it was standing alone in a portfolio. Not that I'm any Voice of Reason (pun?) on the subject.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    trying to get back into this. Bit of an update

update.jpg
  • super_villain
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Mmmm....jet fighter

me262.jpg
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    3047777720_824b546071.jpg

Bah, based off something I've seen before.

I'm thinking of changing it around a bit.
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    _Shimmer wrote: »
    0001_CrewDoctor.jpg

Yeah!
    A cyber-Lenin!
  • michi.be
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    Testing my destructable building assets combined with full breakable vegetation.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS6CchHfl1Y[/ame]

Just a testmap on CE2. :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    meld dich mal im ICQ
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    thats pretty cool destruction dude, not too extreme.

thanks for the guesses dudes, it is a woman indeed, but not as feminine as id like it to be, gotta work on that..
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    well the problem with women and girls is, that unless you make them totally smooth, they will look too manly if you're not adding a proper feminine haircut, eyeleshes etc.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be wrote: »
    Testing my destructable building assets combined with full breakable vegetation.
    Just a testmap on CE2. :)
    MAXIMUM CREED
    Looks good man, I really liked how it didnt all crumple in but only the edging
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    well the problem with women and girls is, that unless you make them totally smooth, they will look too manly if you're not adding a proper feminine haircut, eyeleshes etc.

yeah, im trying to get a feminine face with the bare minimum, and once thats achieved, the hair and the rest will be a bonus that takes it even further.
  • michi.be
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys. just downloaded the rayfire demo and testing aroung with it. seems i can combine it but have to do some model with it this weekend.

CE2 physics is a little bit buggy sometimes...or maybe my models are. ;)
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    yeah there should be!
    I always recall it accepting specular slots and a seperate gloss slot.
    Might be wrong as I never use gloss maps as a seperate file so dont use it in xnormal, but theres definitely a spec map slot.

I was in a rush last time I posted so I'll make make it a little clearer (Sorry!)
    basically if you keep your spec at bright white and knock down ambient and light colors to something greyer (or equivalent values) then your spec will quite literally shine through. It's not entirely accurate to what you'll get in engine, (without shader work) but its good to check if your spec is working the way you want it to etc.

As for your piece, I would suggest (as its going to a portfolio) making it modular and getting a lot of pieces out of your single texture sheet. Lego sets are king! For brick walls I like to do broken variants, as you can easily get single bricks out of a tiled texture.

Couple of minor things as well if you dont mind
    Bricks are a little red for my liking. (I accept that bricks come in all shapes and colours!)

AO bake.

Make it a little more obvious where the concrete blocks meet the brick wall. This could just be some little cracking on the bricks (maybe a little growth growing from the cracks?) as well as a little bit of wear on the edging of the concrete.

Try and describe where the bricks and concrete meet the ground maybe? Bricks tend to go a different colour when they touch the ground, courtesy of dampness etc.

On a design note, I feel like the tops of the brickwork could be perhaps plastered/concreted over. One thing I remember as a kid is that brick walls arent ever really brick on top, they were always surfaced differently so they were a joy to walk on. But I think this might be erring on the side of personal preference, so go with what you think for that.

And finally, what I like doing when I get to do bricks is modelling a few loose bricks, and then making them sit out from the wall a little bit. When these cast shadows it looks effective alongside a good normal map, at the cost of what, 8 tris a brick? good deal! Same can be said for cutting in to your texture and insetting a brick a slight amount, though that can be more expensive so I wouldnt use it as frequently.

Oh and finally, finally, on a similar note, I'd push those concrete blocks out a little to break the boxiness of it and then they'll cast shadows over the bricks, too, as well as compliment SSAO if its being used.

I know it seems like I've said alot, but its all just real small crits tbh.

Thanks for all the crits, wasn't thinking modular when it was made as it's measured out for a scene, might be better of deleting this and starting again :/ Funny you should mention the top of the wall, I was thinking exactly the same thing so I might have gone about this the wrong way from the start... mm, will post another one, try something a bit different... :)
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Here is what I'm working on right now.

Based on this concept from homeworld II I'm modelling an Interceptor. As soon as I've finished the high-poly mesh I'm going for the Normalmap baking and texturing. Below you can see one first draft of the high-poly model. The model is still WIP and I'm still trying different techniques of smoothing / subdividing to get better high-poly results.

inteceptor_concept_small.jpg

interceptor_ocl_small.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    picked up an old project of mine, and started working on its textures while cooking in the background hehe, based on schell designs

14wvght.jpg
  • alexl
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    ImSlightlyBored that SD Art test attempt looks awesome, nice atmosphere.
    JohnnyRaptor, that looks great, is he grinning? looks like a wierd inbetween mix of grinning and not.

wip_2d_03_t.jpg

Making progress on my 2d platformer env thingy. (click thumb for a bigger pic as its quite wide atm)
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl:
    Wow thats amazing :D
    The cacti will animate!! (guessing from the wireframe) so cool
    how about adding more zing with even more vibrant colours.Might look nice :)

Slavezero:
    Excellent modeling.
    The low will look suh-weet
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Horrible HORRIBLE paintover, just for funsies. That's great work Johnny raptor, just bored a bit.
    po.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, nice one cody :D dude looks more evil now! i actually have a set of teeth modelled, but havent polypainted them yet so theyr not in the screen :) and not as big as your paintover

alexl, is that for some game or just doin some art? looks fresh!
  • alexl
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Just some art, dont have the programming skills to make a game :(
    Thanks for the suggestion butt_sahib, I do agree, needs something extra.
  • palm
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    hammerhead_wip2.jpg
    Max screen using JIStyles_skinshader and post_bloom_fx.
    The glowmap is a fake by adding it into the trans and diffmap. It’s a bit, crappy but it works.;)

Made this one during the last couple of days. I haven’t posted anything since DW3 so it's about time. It wasn’t suppose to be a Star wars guy but my wife thought it looked like a star wars dude so I thought I might as well add a lightsaber.;) Still needs to be rigged, and maybe Ill tweak the textures some more.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool Palm, now give us some nice poses! :D
  • indian_boy
    yea palm, thats amazing
    the head makes it very 'pirates' for me, but the armour etc makes it SW lol

but yeaa... pose him cool!
    cant wait to see something epic [i <3 SW lol]

---

kitchen.jpg
    dont really do things that are this low poly, so i thought i'd give it a try
    its mainly 256x256 and 512x512 textures
    currently at 1284 tris
    all CnC is welcome!
    cheers

EDIT: its still in progress btw
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    palm thats real nice. he looks a bit docile, but cool still
    kukk - stylish man
  • Vitor
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Did some more work on him. Hope it keeps recognizable... the more I work the hardest it gets :\

64401143dk9.jpg
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Daniel Craig right? I think the hairline is a bit off, and something about the brow seems a bit weird i think. instantly recognizable though and looks awesome so far.
  • palm
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Hammerhead_03.jpg

I think it’s done now. Ill post it here since I don’t feel like starting a new thread about it. Thx for the comments. I kept this one really simple on both texture and model. I wanted big contrast in it so I worked more on getting large fields. It only took me a few days to do this one. And before anyone comments, I know the rig suck balls!;)

BTW. Does anyone know how to get rid of that useless circle polygon you get from your rigs in max (inside max)? You can see it on the screen.
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Palm! been a Whileeeeee!! Nice work dude!,, btw Just Unfreeze all, then select and hide it!
  • palm
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Hello B1! Nice to see your still around. Yeah, Iv been lazy lately, my wips these days are mostly bad industrial metal, but I don’t dare to post that anywhere. ;) However I gotta get my creative juices flowing again. I need a new freelance gig.;)

I never thought about unfreezing all. Thx a lot dude. =D
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    so much nice stuff, also very cool driller killer.

finally want to set a little standard thing in the house..

0001_MrStandard.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I just started with the layout of my 2009 portfolio this evening which will be booth a book and interactive flash website.
    Its a face page layout thus 2 pages visible at a time, screens are grabbed from inDesign

portfolio_2009_dev_01.jpg

so far I have planned 16 chapters ~ 44 pages. Many pictures are beeing sorted and collected right now (500+ screens including wires, application screenshots, textures, animation screenshots,...). Once I progressed far enough I will create a propper thread for it to get specific feedback.
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    HJS - Looks really awesome man! What a cool idea!
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    just a quicky from the base

001_OldSniper.jpg
This discussion has been closed.