Home Stickies

[P&P] - What are you working on? 2008 Edition

Replies

• Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    Back again with some random sandwich birds!

2865475572_5994eaa8c9.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    been re working the body a little, made a start on the diffuse

rocketguywip.jpg

some nice stuff guys, love the sandwich birds Ani

nice first post trevor87
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    my god. Sandwich birds.

Seforin, over all it's looking pretty good. I think one of the biggest problems proportionally is that his massive upper body isn't reflected in his arms, but he's a boxer. Also, be careful for the angle and depth of the separation in the flexors of the forearm. It's too prominent, and you should definitely work on definition in the extensors.
    I can't tell much of the face on this one, but the neck and chest are looking a bit off because he doesn't have much for his trapezius - which doesn't fit with the rest of his musculature. Due to his social status, he's also always got a certain posture that I don't think you've got yet.
    This is nitpicky, but if you're going for a direct 3d depiction, his cummerbund is sitting lower than you'd usually wear one. I think it kind of throws off his look at the waist.

Swizzle, looking sweet. I think you're mostly just missing a few curves around the eyes and mouth by a bit. I dunno if you're going for a fairly direct translation, but I think most of the mid details are in place, the biggest departure is that he's not smiling enough and doesn't share that mood.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ani wrote: »
    Back again with some random sandwich birds!

2865475572_5994eaa8c9.jpg

DO WANT

make that a teeshirt and I will buy it
  • Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    Thanks guys!!

Just pooped out another one today...

2866098212_8451e711ef_o.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Shiet so much nice stuff getting posted

heres the first thing iv worked on at home for the past...2-3 months, a quick sculpy

my.php?image=frank01ok7.jpgfrank01ok7.jpg
    my.php?image=frank01ok7.jpg
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Trevor: Nice textures :)

Ruz: The pattern on his legs seems a bit to big compared to his upper body. Really nice folds though. I'm always finding that difficult.

fatman_02.jpg

Not even touched the hands yet, and books and stuff is just mockups.....
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah you are right on that ivars, too much uv space for the upper body, not enough for the legs. i might just mirror the leg anyway:)

yours looks good so far
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ani thats sweet three colour lovin

ruz- looking great, insulation on pipes loks odd at the mo, are they nvidia/crazybump details, could do with hp if it is
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    SHEPEIRO - its meant to be tinfoil, but as you say it was a quick nvidia job. :)

I will be redoing a lot of stuff in the image on my second pass.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Ruz, this is random but I think that guy needs a toothpick in his mouth.

Looks really good!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff trevor,swizzle and ruz! coming to this thread makes me smile everytime :)
    @ don, excellent work :D Speaking of the hulk.....

2600,hulkbust2QCE5D.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Keen is that a reference to traffic cops or similar. would look cool actually

butt_sahib - perhaps you have gone a little bit far on the micro detail seems a bit overworked somehow
  • HIKARU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my old gaspump that I worked before at school.
    Uhm........
    URL=http://imageshack.us]oldgaspumpreworkednc0.jpg[/url]
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    too much microdetail! I can't even see the bigger forms through that.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Ruz: Actually at first glance I thought his teeth was a toothpick and I thought it looked cool. So I wasn't making any sort of reference.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    oy yeh I see that now, doh
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    highpolysw7.jpg

working on the lowpoly atm.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Martin: It looks ok, not sure whats happening with the ammo clip/magazine, there doesn't seem to be any hard edge at the bottom. Maybe its the angle but the sight looks skewed. Some of the details don't seem right and too curved. There are some refinements that need to be done.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Took a break from some unearthly stuff to get some more practice on High Poly Modeling. Actually learned something from this too. Hopefully I have some extra free time to do the low poly and texture.

I also plan on adding the spiral detail in mudbox if/when time permits.

axe5-1.jpg
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin: It looks ok, not sure whats happening with the ammo clip/magazine, there doesn't seem to be any hard edge at the bottom. Maybe its the angle but the sight looks skewed. Some of the details don't seem right and too curved. There are some refinements that need to be done.

I agree about the bottom of the mag looking kinda wierd even tho there was an edge there fixed that now tho. The sight isnt skewed its just the perspective, its not a sideview screengrab its perspective view. Could you be more specific about wich details look wrong?

here are my ref pics: http://www.pixagogo.com/2715654219 the gun is kind of a mix between a 416 and 417 but mostly 416.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Finished up a reskin for Jedi Knight I started a long while ago. Need some help on the presentation, because a monochrome gradient isn't that good.
    screen3.jpg
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Saidin311 : thats looking good! I like the clawed foot at the bottom; are the wrinkles hand modelled?

The crescent moon shapes seem a little off in that view; not by much though and I've a feeling it might be the view angle?

subwaywip3cs8.jpg

Trees are hideous, redo tomorrow using reference
    DOF is so overblown because its only meant to show off my sub entrance.

few more little tweaks to go...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 : thats looking good! I like the clawed foot at the bottom; are the wrinkles hand modelled?

Yeah, I don't quite have the skill to work with symmetry in mudbox, especially for some sort of organic type object so I just modeled the ridges by hand, once things go to normal mapping the small details would probably have gotten muddled anyways.

The moon shapes aren't perfect either. Some pinching in spots, I'm still learning a bit and tweaking. But I'm also thinking it will be less noticeable if you were swinging away with it.

I'm liking your subway entrance the engine render came out nice, I like the lighting coming from below.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »

Hmm nice crits but im having some problems relating them to my gun seeing as mine doesnt really look like his and its also not the same gun originally? Could you maybe point out wich of those crits you think apply to my model aswell?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    First of 3 film studies before i go back and take a serious look at anatomy!

- Also thanks a bunch guys! but all they really are is copys from the reference unfortunately, aint good enough yet to do this shit on my own :<

0917Study2.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Saidin311 wrote: »
    I also plan on adding the spiral detail in mudbox if/when time permits.

Why not just do it at the texturing stage with the Nvidia plugin or Crazybump? It'd save a lot of time and effort.
  • daslolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually like the monk look...
    space marine are boring
    SyaPed wrote: »
    Hoping for a few crits... Another space marine haha yay (yawn). I want him in the end to look more gnarly and unhealthy. But I always seem to balk at the half finished stage, now knowing what to go in and do next. Apart from the ears of course ;P
    marinehead.jpg
  • daslolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Impressive design, is it UV mapped ?
    thatnumpty wrote: »
    "done" with the high poly... I'll come back and do rest after Unearthly poo

15648c70ce233421.jpg

15648c70ce21a993.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    shottw3.jpg

im trying to make a gun again, lets see what it becomes
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    Great stuff trevor,swizzle and ruz! coming to this thread makes me smile everytime :)
    @ don, excellent work :D Speaking of the hulk.....

2600,hulkbust2QCE5D.jpg

Your hulk for some reason reminds me of poop. :D2237099357_370189655c.jpg

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I can totally see it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    topohead.jpg

started on some topology for the low poly head, dear god been forever since ive done a character like this so theres ALOT I already see I will need to fix.

If anyone wants to break out there red markers and start Drawing lines and putting the Letter F in the corner by all means :p
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    don't be scared to use triangles on your low res mesh if it helps get the polycount down.

tried taking your lowest/second lowest subdivisions out of zbrush and using those as a base for your low res mesh?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tried taking your lowest/second lowest subdivisions out of zbrush and using those as a base for your low res mesh?
    This can be extremely handy if your base mesh already has good topology.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Why not just do it at the texturing stage with the Nvidia plugin or Crazybump? It'd save a lot of time and effort.

I thought about it, but I'm not sure of a couple of things. A) The details might be painted too softly that crazybumb/nvidia might pick out muddy details and B) I figured I could make a brush in mudbox that could give me what I was looking for and I figured that if I could create it on the mesh it would be 100x better than trying to paint it on the texture.

I'm still pretty new to "what I should sculpt" and "what should be filtered". The drawing is pretty random so I figured that gave me free reign on the type of detail I can create. I'm just worried it will look like poo if I use Nvidia/cb as opposed to making some sort of brush and sculpting the details.

suggestions and input definitely desired to help my learning! :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you'll have to go up to a pretty high subdivision level in Mudbox to get those kinds of details, so that's one possible problem. Another issue is that Mudbox has a tendency to make really lumpy strokes that require a lot of refining and reshaping before they're usable. That's the main reason I'd suggest not using Mudbox for this, even though I do love that program so very much.

In contrast, it'd be pretty easy to get the details looking pretty nice with Nvidia or Crazybump and all you'd have to do to get them nice and sharp is to paint them that way. You could probably even download some Photoshop brushes or vector shapes and go to town.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Well, you'll have to go up to a pretty high subdivision level in Mudbox to get those kinds of details, so that's one possible problem. Another issue is that Mudbox has a tendency to make really lumpy strokes that require a lot of refining and reshaping before they're usable. That's the main reason I'd suggest not using Mudbox for this, even though I do love that program so very much.

In contrast, it'd be pretty easy to get the details looking pretty nice with Nvidia or Crazybump and all you'd have to do to get them nice and sharp is to paint them that way. You could probably even download some Photoshop brushes or vector shapes and go to town.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try both ways. I've renewed inspiration for trying to paint the details, even though as you say I'm going to have to vector them into crisp shapes. I use mudbox because I can understand the interface. I can get up to a decent sub-d level with my comp (it's pimp), but I wish I knew how to use zbrush because it seems more powerful to do these types of details. Alas, that interface confuses the fuck out of me.

edit: I ran this test on an earlier piece I was working on. This is where I got the idea I could mudbox those details.
    HP_Tests.jpg

As I said before, this is a side thing for the moment, but it's given me a massive amount of learning so I might just take this all the way before I step back into unearthly. Maybe I'll get even more out of finishing this.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    OMFG, i totally see it. weird :/

@ ruz:
    I do agree that the noise is like IN YO FACE. But thats not how it actually is lol ITS THE MATCAP!! XD but yeah, its actually alot smoother with other mat caps. I guess i like to so much becasue its the first time ive been able to go that high with the subd levels. Thats thansk to my new graphics card. Maybe tahts why i liek ti so much :)
    think its the "-omg-ive-never-used-unreal-ed-before-but-on-my-first-try-i-totally-amped-up-the-light-bloom-but-everyone-except-me-hates-it-lol-z-z-z-z"

speacking on NAISE:
    2605,lotrbustUCLTL.jpg

Im totally happy that you,saidin are actually sculpting the detial. its EXCELLENT practuce and something i am going to be tackling aswell :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Longer study this time \o/

0919EnvStudy.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice one jackwhat, Im enjoying these little paintings, do you have a sketch thread going?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    haha butt_sahib, guess what, zbrush doesn't care about your graphics card at all, you could take an old 4mb cirrus logic and it won't have an impact :P
    zbrush totally depends on cpu und ram
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nah, no sketchthread... although these are probably more suited to one. I've had a sketchbook going on conceptart for about 3 1/2 years though haha, man theres some shit in there.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    woah, sahib, way too much microdetail once again. And it's all random noise, it's not like you're putting ultrafine wrinkles or something in there, you're just giving him crazy sandpaper skin. Tone it down, it's the bigger forms that matter.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    mutant_wip1.jpg

trying to beef up my portfolio with some more high end work
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    haha yeah I never really liked those way pewtery materials, Sahib. It gives a really misleading sense of the forms.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Jackwhat, nice stuff man.

Martin, while yours is an HK416 and his was an M4, both are based on the same gun (AR-15/M16) and thus, have VERY Similar parts, especially around the receiver. Your grip/Trigger area is well done, but above that, the forward assist, shell deflector, ejection port, magazine release, selector switch, charging handle and sights are all out of scale with the gun/each other. (generally too small) Your barrel also feels very thin. The bump around the mag release on the left side, is flat, not rounded. I have a feeling your rails aren't made properly, but I can't tell from the side views. I'm not sure what stock you're trying to make, but if it's this one, you need to take another look:

http://us3.pixagogo.com/S5ODTr!fWlbmTCx2W9dU7rV3VlF6FAijg0Lz91avtl8oPFOJ3MfncAPZ8kNBG1GiiTQP1f1GXZn6bi!zf8LaMYbKiAEm50zCue/00009.jpg

All of these are fairly nitpicky, it was very obvious what gun it was when I saw it, but it could be a bit more accurately.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Here is a sign i've been working on. 804 polys, 2048 diffuse, normal, and spec, will scale down to 1024s when I finish. Crits welcome.
    longs1wip.jpg

longs2wip.jpg

longs3wip.jpg
This discussion has been closed.