Home Stickies

[P&P] - What are you working on? 2008 Edition

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    DH, that's looking great. Loving the stretchy details...
    Fancy coming to sunny London? :P
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    @EvilPixills: maybe consider scratching the edges of the design a little? They are a little too hard and perfect in comparison.
    Also, dont know if the design is yours or existing, but I'd look in to colors to make the GROCERY not sink in to the background green. It wouldnt be readable. But maybe thats how the design rolls...

Done this in a day, no spec or normals, and I'm gonna add a few minor details and a decal on the front. Was originally just going to be the front door section with broken wall but it grew in to modular bits.

>2000 tris
    modularfacadeonedayhw5.jpg

Should I roll down the dirt on the bottom large white bricks? Add in another floor?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    oh my snap FACE!

thisismyfaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

spent way to long on this . Debating about making mustache seporate piece or making it part of the head as far as the modeling geo goes. Well working on the upper head/ hair right now :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    clearly didn't listen to the advice of at least two other polycounters then...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gir : my original head had no topology to it pure sculpt, the head I used as a fondation was a mid poly based one. I really wanted to try to keep the head rather quadated I still wanted to get the full foundation built before I striped it and remodeled it with tris and such as you suggested.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so you're effectively happy to create double the work for yourself, by building a SECOND mid-poly head, and then scaling back to a low poly one?
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Whilest probably not too effective.. its still an excercise :)

But basically id agree with gir, if you already made such a hipoly model and aiming for a low one, id skip the step.
    Also i see alot of polygons wasted already on that model.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    nice modeling erik!

Some more megaman action, 4614 tris + 1x2048 normal (probably going be a 512 or 1024 though):

mm8b_3_1.jpg

Edit: Bigger screencap.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Suprore:
    Thankiez! XD lawlz
    yeah i definitely agree with the haphazardness on that one.smoothed everything out and working on it once more but i dont want to take over the thread.

Neox:
    Hmm saaayriusly? i feel embarassed XD must be the ram with comes with the card which is helping? CUZ i swear i notice a difference
    DH:
    Tis about time that you started to work on that ol folio :)
    Looking great :D

Funky:
    haha yeaaah,Agreed...but they're so shiny and purdy XD

Erik:
    Model looks great. I'd say go the extra mile and add extra details in zb/mb rather than crazybump.

Evilpixils:
    Oh shit thats high in all things holy. dont want to take this into nextgen-y debat-y thing-y tho :P so ill stay clear from "thats a high count/texture size even for a next gen model"

imslightlybored:
    Thats the shizz. Does xnormal have those realtime shadows (like the ones being cast on the walls by the lights) or is that a light map? I'd say even if it looks hawt,resist the temptation to take a practice piece into a complete folio piece as you work on it and start liking it....RESISSST

Ironbear:
    Does i seeing smoothign errors on the hands?which program is that?silo?

ANNNNDDD
    First fun horny outing with polypaint and concept modeling
    2627,katamariDBTYU.jpg
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib: yeah, thats all real time shadows courtesy of xNormal. Yet to add a lightmap channel, but the DOF was photoshopped just to show a focus in the image.
    Wasn't really a practice piece, more of a 'lets show how much work could be churned out in a day' sort of piece, but I might roll back some of the modular pieces in presentation, and I agree; dont think I'll allow pieces to grow on top of me again.

that katamari looks scary as hell. Great, but scary. I think that face will haunt me for all time now, cheers.

@erik! : looks great man!

as an interesting aside, finished my papercraft full size lancer, just waiting on the woman to send full pictures.
    hpim4802xt5.jpg
    pew pew!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Jackwhat, nice stuff man.

Martin, while yours is an HK416 and his was an M4, both are based on the same gun (AR-15/M16) and thus, have VERY Similar parts, especially around the receiver. Your grip/Trigger area is well done, but above that, the forward assist, shell deflector, ejection port, magazine release, selector switch, charging handle and sights are all out of scale with the gun/each other. (generally too small) Your barrel also feels very thin. The bump around the mag release on the left side, is flat, not rounded. I have a feeling your rails aren't made properly, but I can't tell from the side views. I'm not sure what stock you're trying to make, but if it's this one, you need to take another look:

http://us3.pixagogo.com/S5ODTr!fWlbmTCx2W9dU7rV3VlF6FAijg0Lz91avtl8oPFOJ3MfncAPZ8kNBG1GiiTQP1f1GXZn6bi!zf8LaMYbKiAEm50zCue/00009.jpg

All of these are fairly nitpicky, it was very obvious what gun it was when I saw it, but it could be a bit more accurately.

Thanks for the crits, sadly i dont know what all those parts are ;D I just model them the way i see them but i havent really ever seen a gun in real life up close (im swedish!) Anyway tried changing the stuff i understood and also did some adjusting on my own. Now i have to move on to finish it tho because i only got 1 week from start to finnish to have it ready for ingame with textures and all so im running out of time. Oh and no that isnt the stock im trying to make, the ref i used was more like this

http://us2.pixagogo.com/S58UTKI1w3i7OYjDmc5tF-Z1!bT0R!AirTNLf9PPI8bO-1ZQ5Q4WxDdZkX9m!cIkftSWQf2YLjFYO4y1z1i61EcfWKuVdwmGRv/DSCN0094.jpg

but not quite.

Here is the updated model, with pimprender.

highpoly2ta4.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Erik that looks awesome ;o

0920EnvStudy.jpg
  • CIgano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin i reckon thats a bit awesome
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib: yes, silo and xnormal. I made a bigger screencap so you can see the hands better. :)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    gunhw1.jpg

finished the highpoly of the grenadelauncher
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Kinda finished the lowpoly and test baked out a normalmap (will optimize the uvs tomorrow and rebake)

normalmap.jpg
    normalmap02.jpg
  • TriggerHappyPuppy
    looks like a gun, it´s awsome
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    nice guns ppl, i love guns.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    arranjemonk i would add a tad detail in the cilinder part of the grenade launcher where it has the bullets, other than that looks really nice !!

karera, you have alot of smoothing errors , but also looks really nice, fix that up and this is gonna be win.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice guns :)

arrangemonk:
    The walls of the cylinders in the chamber look a bit too thick, it looks like that would add a lot of weight to the gun. Nice design and crisp modelling so far.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Johny wrote: »
    karera, you have alot of smoothing errors , but also looks really nice, fix that up and this is gonna be win.

Any specific ones you're refering to? I will rearrange my UV layout today probably and rebake, this was more of a test. Any tips on how to avoid the smoothing errors also?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    theres one obvious one on the back of the sight cap and a few less obvious ones that seam like they may be to do with your HP being too low poly??
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    very nice gun- can you show a low poly wire shot?
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    renderhjs: if you're reffering to me, then i'll post one as soon as im done baking some maps :D
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im positive that renderhjs is refering to you....id like to see a wire too. Thats a real long tri whcih is causing that big ass smoothing error
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this an because there is no lowpoly of mine :D
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    im positive that renderhjs is refering to you....id like to see a wire too. Thats a real long tri whcih is causing that big ass smoothing error

yeah id definately throw up a wire here soon, cos i don't know which one you're reffering to right now.. if u can do a paintover i'd be happy ;D
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    karera , heres a small pointer :)

errorskarerami7.jpg
  • CIgano
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D yeah thats what we all meant :)

EWWW...shit sorry guys for the big image :/
    2648,sculpt6JR05H.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aww, now i understand, last time i thougt why would you call the rearview butt^^
    was ver confused
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yo butt, its awsome that you're getitng heavier into sculpting man, you're doing a good job.

But you have to watch out about your micro detail, you are losing a lot of the overall detail because there is too much noise in your sculpt. Start with the larger shapes and then make your way down to the smaller details.

All the sculpts you have posted so far has this problem, and I know you can fix it... stop focusing on the small detail, work on the large forms right now, your future sculpts will love you for it :)
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Johny wrote: »
    karera , heres a small pointer :)

Most of those shapes are intentional, i know i haven't been sticking so much to the original design of the seburo, so i've kept some of the more loose and organic shapes.

But especially the back part(don't know the english word) where u support the gun on your shoulder(probably not while fireing though), thats intentional(but not around the screws).

Around the body also, isn't so much of a smoothing error, but a highpoly design error.
    I just want to move on to texturing this sonofa, so i don't know how much i'll clean up..

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes though! I apreciate it for upcoming projects.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Testbake. Gonna finish the highpoly, tweak the lowpoly make some UV:s, these are just temp.... Anyway. Long way to go :)

fatman_04.jpgfatman_05.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    @EvilPixills: maybe consider scratching the edges of the design a little? They are a little too hard and perfect in comparison.
    Also, dont know if the design is yours or existing, but I'd look in to colors to make the GROCERY not sink in to the background green. It wouldnt be readable. But maybe thats how the design rolls...

Done this in a day, no spec or normals, and I'm gonna add a few minor details and a decal on the front. Was originally just going to be the front door section with broken wall but it grew in to modular bits.

>2000 tris

Should I roll down the dirt on the bottom large white bricks? Add in another floor?

sweet! Go with whatever suits ya dude...
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Practicing my texture skills using Bobo's demon sdk, with my mouse since my tablet pen is missing:
    demonrender.png
    Demonrender2.png

Any crits?
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon

>2000 tris

Hey man thanks for the feedback. I will def touch up on what you mentioned.

I like the way your wall turned out. Keep it up. Only thing that catches my eye are the hanging light bulbs or fixtures, it's hard to tell which one it is from the angle. Whats your texture resolution if you don't mind me asking?

@butt_sahib: I know what your saying man. I just realized that there are some geo optimizations that I can do to reduce my count. As for my texture size i'm only working in 2048 for now till I finish up the final resolution will be at least 1024x1024.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I dont know what it is or how it ended up this way but somehow it did. A quick doodle before bed! D:

0923rakugaki.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Indecom: Very cool, I love the way you painted it. No crits, just finish it. Keep pushing those blues around the eyes/face, there seem to be a hint of them already there. Post the texture at the end!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars: that looks solid!

almost finished with megaman, I'm going to try my best to get some decent looking grunge texturing on him.

mm8b_4.jpg
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I don't like the feet because it doesn't bend
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well fixed MUCH topology to the face (thanks polyhertz) and tested individual pieces as I built them low poly, so far everything works on individual bakes as my tests have shown. I still need to make the eyes teeth and tongue but so far what I got :)

soon.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    LIES!- should bend no prob, although, he does look a bit reefed out. maybe soften the shouders a bit too, or yeah and twist the thumb a bit more inward. good stuff, man I dig-.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low looks great sef. whats the count?

mmmm
    2656,arms6smallAPW2N.jpg

Oh yeah! thanks alot for the comment jay,appreciate it.
    Ill try and keep on trying to work on the solids first :D
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    I dont know what it is or how it ended up this way but somehow it did. A quick doodle before bed! D:

0923rakugaki.jpg

It's Skeletor, as a kid, when his mom put his big winter coat on, with his hood up, so he can barely move his arms anymore. (in whiney skeletor voice) "Aw, mom!"
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl : that looks great man! real nice set up you got in xnormal too. Looks like a vinyl toy in its current state (which I actually really like, without the grunge)

EricV: thanks man!
    EvilPixillis: cheers. Yeah they are like, pulley systems attatched to the wall. The whole thing is one 1024 sheet with the bricks and door taking up half of that (512x1024), given they are floor level details. I think it might just be the viewpoint and scale of image throwing them down, but I will scale them up for exageration/reading purposes. Cheers!
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    ironbearxl : that looks great man! real nice set up you got in xnormal too. Looks like a vinyl toy in its current state (which I actually really like, without the grunge)

seconded :D instead of grunge, just need to add very slight noise to the specular so he has that vinyl look imo :)

Looks ace fella :D
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, thatd be cool
    and then do another set; GEARS OF WAR STYLE AAH
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Nice megaman! He looks sleepy.

Good looking arm butt.

Lowpoly is about done, will make him some props as well. Started blocking in some color, will start texturing now.
    He's 4260 tris. A bit uneven distribution though....

fatman_06.jpg

fatman_08.jpg

Wanna use some patterns I think....
This discussion has been closed.