Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post one nice photo you've taken recently

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    disanski, man, you're gonna have to tone it back... I'm really getting blown away by all these photos!!!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks guys i am supper glad you like those :) I knew a hot girl with a sword should be something polycount will like. Unfortunately when I posted those on a photography forum I got a lot of negative feedback :( any way I freaking love those last shots. :)
    Schultzie (what kind of a name is that :) ) love that last shot :)
    Japhir when doing hdr you have to focus on the same spot for all the images and perhaps bring some more contrast in. I love the sky btw now you only need to work on the foreground. Try taking 3 shots 1 just exposed right, one under and one overexposed. That should give you more room to play. - not too much in to hdr myself :)
    Here is one more from me. I loud love to know how would you make this image better :)

IMG_1891-Edit.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, for that last one, I'd prefer to see the swords unsheathed. She looks as though she just dropped from above, to surprise someone, but it looks as though she walks around with the sheaths on her swords (rather than attached to her body). Otherwise, I think it's a very cool shot, especially with the dust behind her.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been doing some HDR stuff directly from RAW. I just load my raws up in photomatix, which is great if you've got raw or multiple exposures. I dont like to do the way overblown HDR stuff, so single raw file tends to provide enough bit depth.

I like this workflow a lot because you dont need to plan your shots or use a tripod, just make sure you're not overblowning your highlights.

rawhdr1.jpg
    rawhdr2.jpg

Before and after shots from demo of photomatix, can pull some nice detail out of the shadows, but as you can see, cant recover the really blown out highlights, so you gotta watch that.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    haha that totally reminds me of the HDR in games vs HDR in photography comparison ;)
    nice shots schultzie and disanski
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    Thanks guys i am supper glad you like those :) I knew a hot girl with a sword should be something polycount will like. Unfortunately when I posted those on a photography forum I got a lot of negative feedback :( any way I freaking love those last shots. :)
    Schultzie (what kind of a name is that :) ) love that last shot :)
    Japhir when doing hdr you have to focus on the same spot for all the images and perhaps bring some more contrast in. I love the sky btw now you only need to work on the foreground. Try taking 3 shots 1 just exposed right, one under and one overexposed. That should give you more room to play. - not too much in to hdr myself :)
    Here is one more from me. I loud love to know how would you make this image better :)

IMG_1891-Edit.jpg

One suggestion might be to frame her in the bottom 2/3rd instead of the top 2/3rd. I'm never a fan off too much out of focus bokeh stuff in the foreground, prefer it in the background instead. I'd like to see more of the structured lines in the background, as apposed to the more noisy floor and re-framing would do that.

The first shot of the girl with the sword, I think the position/posing of her legs feel really awkward. But you're right, these are shots that polycount loves to see, so even if there are some technical issues, its really hard not to like them.
  • Schultzie
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Great point about the sword being unsheathed. Also good idea EQ - I was wondering a lot about the framing and what I wanted to do is give the viewer a bit more space to travel before it gets to the main subject and then stay there :) I see your point and I will try that with some of the rest of the images.
    About the pose from the first shot what i was going for was a strong stand first and then I made her knee down but yeaa it looks very uncomfortable - she also almost cut my head off for making her go down in that water :) - it is still not warm enough here.
    I am making this last one in to B&W at the moment :)
    Edit : Also I am going to go back there with the same model and shoot and shoot this again and again untill an amazing shot comes out :) I will keep in secret what my plans are for now but I promise it will be HOT :)
    And yes there will away be different points of view and it is understandable why we like ( or I do) those kind of images - i wish I can find the kind of forum like polycount but for photography - I get very very little bit of feedback and I can't really improve like this.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    5669199683_a62a0aec42_b.jpg

Falmouth habour, Cornwall
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I tell you what. Those of you who take photos and never print are really missing out. Just got the first print back made on my X100. The quality is amazing. 40x40cm (15.7 inche square) which is only a slight upres from actual detail. The lustre paper has a great finish, and I love being able to see all the details in a print, something not possible on a screen. (you have to pick between seeing the whole image, or seeing each pixel, with a print you can do both). The print itself was 20 bux, the frame was 25 from Ikea, and I cut the included matt-board to the proper size, avoiding having to buy any matt.

229666_10150175227187746_554122745_7301045_7500964_n.jpg

I have plans for a 2nd image on the right, hence the blank space, but I wanted to test this print shops quality before ordering more than one.

230283_10150175227237746_554122745_7301046_8280124_n.jpg

(original)
    5633121174_54f0eb09ca_m.jpg
    2011_04_18f by mr-chompers, on Flickr
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    This doesn't even begin to compare to the awesomeness I've seen in this thread, but I just bought my new camera today, wanted to give it a try! :D

hrdtest2.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop: You look so damn happy in that pic ;)

HP and Prophecies: I like the nature shots
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firth Of Forth, Edinburgh
    5669203743_6ec8e06095_b.jpg

Falmouth habour, Cornwall
    5669199683_a62a0aec42_b.jpg

edit: sorry I brokeded the rules, please dont hate me.
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the B&W shot chrizz1.
    HP this cathedral looks great- love the composition and the editing :)
    Ben that looks great on the wall - I am done spending money on gear for now so I will try to print few very soon- then I will probably need some help picking the best one :). Still have not seen print from my 5d :(
    I am posting one more shot from the session with the girl with the sword :) and moving on to different things for now.

IMG_2044-Edit_SFW.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks man, cheers!
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, the boats were begging to have there picture taken really. Throught about making a printed book out the series of girlies you have shot?
    Another from the Firth of Forth

5669204101_89c08f96e7_b.jpg
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    [HP] - Great shot of the boy
    chrizz1 - Are you shooting the pictures of Firth of Forth with film?

Some street shots, all taken with the Leica M6 using Kodak 400TX film.

ssss2.jpg

ssss1.jpg

ssss3.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul, I have to say with the stuff you're posting recently, its almost as if the method, the gear, the type of film and the specific look that film gives or whatever is the focus of your work. While thats all good and fun in itself, I'm not seeing the interest in subject, framing, etc that I saw in your work with the 5D, which I really enjoy.

It just seems like you're getting a bit too far down that "its cool to shoot film" road, instead of putting the effort into trying to create great shots. Which to me is a shame, as I really love a lot of the work that you do.

Far be it for me to tell you how to shoot though, that isn't my intent. I just feel your recent stuff is the sort of thing you'd see in some hipster art gallery with douche bags standing around it contemplating the "meaning of art". If you get my drift. =P
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    That's fair enough to say EQ. As far as my recent work comparing to my 5D stuff I think it is important to try new things as far as subject matter is concerned. This kind of street photography is very different from the stuff I shot with the 5D and to me it is far more exciting and rewarding and as well far more difficult to practice. How successful the shot is ultimately depends on the viewer and we all have our tastes.

It's easy to setup a tripod and take nice long exposure of a cityscape or shoot wide-open aperture bokeh-fests of still lifes, and while I still enjoying doing such things it's not as rewarding to me as it used to be. The street photography of the masters such as Garry Winogrand or Robert Frank has served as the greatest inspiration for me recently and while my attempts at it are no where near as successful as their work I find the act , as well as the results, the most fun I've ever had shooting photos. And one of the reasons I went back to analog was to impose upon myself the same technical limitations those great photographers had to deal with; not to mention the act of processing a roll of film is far more enjoyable than unloading RAW images off of CF cards, since for me photography is as much about the experience as it is the final result. If that makes me a hipster douche then so be it. :)
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul: they are all shot on an om1 with a 50mm 1.8, the film was just an unbranded one, a good few years out of date. I didnt use it because of that but because I didnt have anything else with me. But im gutted that i dont know its name, it gave some really nice colours.
    The one with the dog is shop'd though, levels dust removal that sorta thing.
    Really digging that first shot, wish I could get my hands on an m6, where'd you find yours our of curiosity
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's fair enough to say EQ. As far as my recent work comparing to my 5D stuff I think it is important to try new things as far as subject matter is concerned. This kind of street photography is very different from the stuff I shot with the 5D and to me it is far more exciting and rewarding and as well far more difficult to practice. How successful the shot is ultimately depends on the viewer and we all have our tastes.

It's easy to setup a tripod and take nice long exposure of a cityscape or shoot wide-open aperture bokeh-fests of still lifes, and while I still enjoying doing such things it's not as rewarding to me as it used to be. The street photography of the masters such as Garry Winogrand or Robert Frank has served as the greatest inspiration for me recently and while my attempts at it are no where near as successful as their work I find the act , as well as the results, the most fun I've ever had shooting photos. And one of the reasons I went back to analog was to impose upon myself the same technical limitations those great photographers had to deal with; not to mention the act of processing a roll of film is far more enjoyable than unloading RAW images off of CF cards, since for me photography is as much about the experience as it is the final result. If that makes me a hipster douche then so be it. :)

Yeah I totally understand, sometimes the fun can be in the limitations. I've got basically a whole set of OM gear here I should shoot some rolls with. Just got an OM-3 and (another) 18mm 3.5, and some cool teles, 100mm 2.8, 135mm 2.8, 180mm 2.8, 300mm 4.5... Well this stuff is for selling though, and I'm a bit too lazy to actually bother getting film developed, so its gonna sit on the shelf.

It wasn't my intent to call *you* a douche bag, must have just worded that poorly.... Ya douchebag! =P
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did not expect that kind of language from you EQ :) heh.

I kind of understand what you mean Paul.

I really don't know almost anything about photography. I try to read up what I find online, but I don't know any of the big names from the past. Thanks for mentioning Garry Winogrand and Robert Frank- I honestly never heard of them, but I will look them up :) I would love to hear from you or from anybody else, who else is your hero ( in terms of photography)? I recently purchased one of Ansel Adams books and another one with the some of the best portraits of National Geographic, can't wait for them to arrive :) It does not have to be portraitists.

And I just purchased two prints to hang in the new room I am renovating for myself :) ... now I am hoping my monitors are not off with a lot because I never calibrated them:)
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure why this has 100 views within a day of putting it up but, hell someone must like it. Shot with the same film has firth of forth stuff
    5669205429_8e1736e15c_b.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    Did not expect that kind of language from you EQ :) heh.

I kind of understand what you mean Paul.

I really don't know almost anything about photography. I try to read up what I find online, but I don't know any of the big names from the past. Thanks for mentioning Garry Winogrand and Robert Frank- I honestly never heard of them, but I will look them up :) I would love to hear from you or from anybody else, who else is your hero ( in terms of photography)? I recently purchased one of Ansel Adams books and another one with the some of the best portraits of National Geographic, can't wait for them to arrive :) It does not have to be portraitists.

And I just purchased two prints to hand in the new room I am renovating for myself :) ... now I am hoping my monitors are not off with a lot because I never calibrated them:)

This might be a good idea for another photo thread, because like you, I dont actually *know of* any photographers specifically. Or even a photography sub-forum hmmmmmmmmm.... =P
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    5682257982_a2fa4cd230_z.jpg

Just came back from a trip to the countryside where you still see old men in Mao suits with rusty bicycles. Yet they learned quickly so sell all kinds of Mao themed knicknacks to the tourists...
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I used my trusty Canon 550D and f1.4 50mm Lens for these ones. Skatepark behind the cinema in Gothenburg/Sweden. I was there a couple of days ago :)

5679141663_e51a292788_b.jpg
    5679703238_f91a0d9e43_b.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Nice action shots! I really like the first one, the bit of color provided by the shoes is very cool.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like it :) can you test the video functionality and show what it's capable of?
  • KrashART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The work in this thread is really impressive - and I love seeing folks practice art forms outside of their immediate interests.

I don't have any fancy equipment, just two GE point-and-shoot digital cameras, but sometimes they manage to surprise me :) I ended up with a poor ISO setting on this shot, and didn't think to try playing with my Macro settings... but even still, I like the overall composition and color!

5692_128394871077_727036077_2898619_5302892_n.jpg
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lubitel 166u, this thing vignettes like crazy. Taken in one of the galleries in Berlin, I forget which
    Bita post-pro in ps
    5684030615_1e190c0962_b.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some more from this weekend. I'm on crutches at the moment, so I won't have too many the next 6 weeks, but I am going to Detroit for the weekend of the 21/22, so I will get some good shots there I think.

http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2011/05/textures.html

5684704828_5487098355_z.jpg
    DSCF0941.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You better get some "Ruins of Detroit" style shots! Man I want to take a trip to Detroit just to take photos... But I'd probably get mugged.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in the Detroit area. Actually, depending where you go, the crime isn't that bad. Just stay out in the daylight. Definitely keep an eye out when you're walking about though. Sadly, I'm about 45 minutes away, and I've never gone down there to take pics (except during the auto show).
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's for a school lecture, and the administrator assured me I could have a phalanx of students surrounding me at all times. HAHAHAHAH. They apparently use my website extensively in their curriculum and are very excited to have me visit. I'm tempted to see if I can get them carry me around. :-)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, congrats poopinmymouth! Be sure to take some shots looking down on your subjects.

I'm finishing up the 35mm class I've been taking and I decided to shoot my final project on "The Forgotten Railroad Heritage of Central Virginia." The area that I live in used to be a very busy railroad hub and the remains of the Norfolk & Western railroad empire can still be found all over.

I'm going to be sharing some of the 35mm black & white shots that I took for the project. This first one is of a 100-year old railroad bridge over Blackwater Creek in Lynchburg, Virginia:

krNj7.jpg
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount really is quite a multi-talented place, kudos to all, kudos.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's for a school lecture, and the administrator assured me I could have a phalanx of students surrounding me at all times. HAHAHAHAH. They apparently use my website extensively in their curriculum and are very excited to have me visit. I'm tempted to see if I can get them carry me around. :-)

Is it for College for Creative Studies? I have to admit, it does strike me funny that a professor would reference a site called poopingmymouth, even if it IS a good reference site ;)
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    A few "ghost" shots taken with a long exposure and my ipad playing a video. The video came from a cool website called project1231.com and after looking it over I had to try it out quick : ).

ghost1q.jpg

ghost3f.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Holy shit man!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well done :) I saw this some time back but I did not have time to go look in the website how was it done- am i going to try this myself :) hell yeaa- going to an old monastery up in the mountains tomorrow for couple of days .... I just hope it stops raining for a single hour after it is dark so I can go outside and try this. Is there a way to download the video --- you can imagine there is no internet there :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit, that's awesome. I hadn't heard about that before, and now I want to try it :D
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I wonder if you could render off cross sections of a 3d model and play it back to create a similar look? i guess the internals would be troublesome though...