Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post one nice photo you've taken recently

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that is one of the drawbacks of having a lens that wide I think, I notice it even with my 30mm 1.4, depth of field is very wide after a few feet, but cream soft up close, its a shame. Even if it was 35/1.4, you'd still have the same problem. For this type of shot I would prefer the 50mm 1.8, as even tho its not much faster than 2.0, you get a softer BG. Alternatively, just getting a bit closer to the subject here and a tighter crop would help, cause there is a lot of dead space in this shot that you could easily do without, that would help the bokeh as well.

To me, I think you'd either want more of a smoother BG, or more detail rendered(smaller app), its in that sort of limbo where its not a decisive shot. Of course that is my opinion, its a bit redundant to say comments on an art forum are subjective. =P

The soft focus IMO is too heavy as well, its just confusing to my eyes, like I try to focus on it and cant, it looks less like a soft focus effect, and more just simply out of focus.

I really like the concept of the shot however.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    You can always say you wanted it to be out of focus :) I like the composition a lot and the empty space does not bother me however it feels overexposed ... a lot, even her chest. I can see those trees playing really well in this image if it was darker and more contrasty..., and black and white :) But yeaa this is your image :) How many focus points on that new camera Ben?
    Here is one more image from the last series :)
    IMG_0898-Edit2-_clean.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Madison sucks :P
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    konstruct wrote: »
    Madison sucks :P

Oh ya? Well your face sucks!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Edited the first shot to fix the things that were bugging me. Disanski, are you using a good monitor? Her skin and chest are no where near blowing out, they're right where I want them to be contrast wise, bright, with a hint of volume. It fits with the glow.

Second shot from this shoot.

5632441061_d5914e48f9_z.jpg
    DSCF0589-Edit.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I forgot I was on a laptop that was not mine -- looks much better back home. My bad. Second shot is fantastic :) Great colors nrek :)
    IMG_1003-Edit_SFW.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful shot. I could stare at it for hours :D
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I seriously need to invest in some better equipment. This 350d with stock lenses is not cutting it anymore. I'd like to try a nikon next, maybe a d90. (Wish I had the moneyz)

5524753900_21164aca24_b.jpg

5524160295_b33030e1c8_b.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I would stick with Canon, you wont see any jump in quality moving from a Canon system with kit lens to Nikon system with a kit lens. Canon has an excellent range of lenses, better than any of the other major DSLR players I would say.

Unless there is something specifically you do not like about canon, its really just a lateral move. You'd be better off just investing in some decent glass for your canon, and upgrading to a 40D, or 550D if you want video and better low light performance.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, that's good. It means I can get a few lenses for the current camera for now, and change the body later.

Thanks.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by 'not cutting it'? Are you unable to go wide enough? not enough foreground/background separation?

Too many people confuse needing to upgrade their skills with needing to upgrade their tools, so just wondering what exactly you find as a let down.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, I got a lot to learn, I know that, only a shoddy workman blames his tools.

But this 350d body is quite old, I already bought it second hand, some signs of wear and I lost the rubber visor where you look into.
    But the biggest problem is the stock lenses I've been using (18-55). I definitely need something better, I'd wanna have a lenses to zoom up to 255 (no need for uber low f-stops) and a 50mm with 1.8fstop for portraits and DoF fun.

That's what I mean by these stock lenses wont cut it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pick up the 50mm 1.8($120 new), and look into the 75-300mm, you can find them for $100-175 on ebay. I've got a 75-300mm III USM sitting here, but I actually prefer the super cheap ass 80-200mm, because 300mm on a crop is ~ 480mm, and that is just excessive. The cheap 80-200mm is also light as hell and compact, which means i'll actually take it with me and use it =D. You can get the 80-200mm for like $30-100.

There is the 75-300mm IS if you want a stabilized tele, but thats in the $300-350 range. At that point I would rather get: 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.0, either of which have much less reach, but are much higher quality optics.

If you're going to spend $3-400, I would rather get a 85mm 1.8 + 80-200mm(for the rare chance you need it) than spend too much on a zoom tele.

I'm actually in the same boat with the 350D, mine is old, beat to shit, and a variety of functions do not work properly anymore. I also really want live view, and better high ISO performance. So I'm going to upgrade to a 550D around Christmas, hoping I can get a used body for about $500 by then. I looked at the 40D a bit since it is in a similar price range, however the LCD is worse, it only goes to 3200(yuck) and no video or other fun stuff to play with, and worse image quality than the 550D(which uses the same sensor as the 7D). Better controls and ergonomics however, but to me, being used to the 350D and not having much of an issue with it, I'd prefer the extra features and improved image quality and performance of the 550D.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Earthquake, have you looked at the 60D at all? It's approximately $250 dollars more than the 550D, but has almost the same features the same features as the 7D, which is almost $1000 dollars more than the 550D - i'm converting SA prices to dollars, so maybe price difference where you are.

(^ I'm talking new prices, and by Christmas, I imagine there would be a couple of 60D around for a fair price)

As for the features of the 60D vs the 7D, the only true difference between the two is the 7D has the joystick at the rear like the 50D and 40D do, has more metering spots, and has a magnesium body. And the 60D has a swivelling rear LCD, but still has the all important 2 wheel controls(aperture + shutter speed) and LCD for camera settings at the top(but in a reduced format). But technical feature wise, they are almost the same.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    550d's video capabilities and high ISO (350d only does 1600) is a neat thing to have.
    Also, whatever lenses I'd buy now would fit on the 550d since it's the same socket.

Thanks for the tips man, I might get a 550d body next christmas as well, but it's still more than half a year to go so by then we might have better deals, like the 60d. Are the lenses socket for these the same as 550d's?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 550D is selling for $600 used currently, the 60D in the $800-1000 range, I have a pretty hard budget of about $500, so its unlikely the 60D will be an option.

Here are some current eBay prices for anyone else who is interested(Used, body only):
    40D $400-600
    500D $400-600
    550D $600
    50D $750-900
    60D $800-1000
    5D Mark I $800-1400

The 40D is going for a very good price if you don't care about video, or shooting above 3200 ISO.

If the 50D prices take a noise dive it may be worth considering, however the 60D is unlikely to be affordable for me.

[Edit] Threw in the 5D here for fun as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips man, I might get a 550d body next christmas as well, but it's still more than half a year to go so by then we might have better deals, like the 60d. Are the lenses socket for these the same as 550d's?

Virtually all Canon lenses are EF, and will work on any canon body, XXXD, XXD, XD, canon EF-S(kit lens, and a few others) will work on every canon body but the 1D/S and 5D, as they are full frame, fortunately/unfortunately for you, these cameras are most likely out of your price range anyway. EF-S lenses work on the 7D, as it is a crop body, not fullframe(confusing naming here).

Here is a list of EF-S lenses:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount

Oh also, one more tele zoom to consider, the EF-S 55-250mm IS for about $200 used, has IS, covers the range you wanted and isn't too expensive.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lenses are on my amazon basket for 6 months now, I really need to order them!
    That IS will come in handy, I refuse to carry a tripod around me, fuck that.

Anyway, who wants candy?

5524740686_52671a3b48_b.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually got a cheap($35?) canon monopod from B&H, that I like a lot. Much better than carrying a tripod IMO. Really if you get a body that can shoot 3200-6400 with decent quality, and 12800 for emergencies, coupled with a fast lens like the 50 1.8, that should suit you for most shooting situations.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really doubt that the 40d IQ is worse than the 550d but I have not read any statistics. I have used them in different environment and the 40 d felt much better to me. Also what is the point of having high ISO if you cant use it even at 1600 why bother go to 3200 and so on? I just dont get it. The display is .. yeaa it sucks :). How about one of the most important functions- AF ? I am not familiar with the one on the 550d so I should stop now before i continue writing but i doubt it is the same as the one on the 40d? The one on the 40d is the same as the 5d and 5d mark2 and it works great :)
    Just an opinion :) Any way if you really want the video there are not that many options :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afaik, the 550D, 60D and 7D all share the same sensor

The 50D and 500D share the same sensor, and the 40D and 400D share the same sensor.

So, that is to say, the 550D offers the same level of IQ improvement as the 7D would compared to the 40D. I have not personally used both so am not qualified to make any definate statements. However, everything I have read states that the 550D has better IQ, better noise performance etc, likely only by a small margin, however, if the 550D has better IQ at 18MP than the 40d at 10MP, even if only a slight improvement, that is saying a lot. No?

Certainly if your biggest concerns are ergonomics, controls and durability, a XXD camera is the way to go. However, its hard to argue with the features that the 550D offers at the price. And for anyone looking to upgrade, if you feel like the controls or comfort of your XXXD body is holding you back, take a hard look at the XXD line.

As far as ISO over 1600, well, I would rather be able to get a shot and do some heavy noise reduction in post, than not get the shot at all! Which happens to me fairly often with my 350D even with 1.4/1.8 lenses. ISO 1600 doesn't cut it, 3200 is only a one stop improvement, and really, I would prefer more. I fully understand how much noise that brings but honestly, for small prints/web res photos, it is very likely not an issue.

I'm not sure about the AF system, but honestly, either the 40D or 550D should offer a big improvement in that regard over the 350D.

550D:
    • 9-point CMOS sensor
    • F5.6 cross-type at center, extra sensitivity at F2.8
    • AF working range: -0.5 to 18 EV (at 23°C, ISO 100)
    • Predictive AF up to 10 m
    40D:
    • 9-point TTL CMOS sensor
    • All points cross-type for lenses of F5.6 or faster *
    • Center point additionally sensitive with lenses of F2.8 or faster *
    • AF working range: -0.5 - 18 EV (at 23°C, ISO 100)
    Looks like the 550D is on par there, but I do not know a lot about AF systems.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yeaa it makes more sense when you put it all down on paper. I am still unsure if having the same sensors is enough to accept that bout cameras should have the same IQ- there must be more to it - perhaps software! (not too sure about this). Any way :) it is summer is it not? :) :
    IMG_1008-Edit-2.jpg

Edit : - did not want to bump the thread again with new post :) It is still spring here too :) raining and cold at the moment here i am just faking it : this is the original image :) i know i lost a lot of the quality of the image :) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3377334/pictures/IMG_1008-Edit-2-original.jpg

edit2 :) I still can't get used to the buttons on the 5d :( and It is been like 10 000 shots till now i guess if not more. Buttons for selecting the AF point are driving me crazy :) it was so easy on the d90.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reading it bit more, it seems like people are saying the 550D has about the same per-pixel noise as the 40D, which means a pretty huge gain in sharpness and resolution, when sizing both down to a small size. In theory atleast.

Imo, noise performance and resolution(not MP, but how much detail can actually be resolved) are the biggest factors in IQ, colors, contrast, all of that is going to be heavy modified/can be faked in post, and dynamic range to an extent too, but it looks like the 550D has higher rated DR as well, so... =P

Still spring here, supposed to be cold and rainy for the next week. =(
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AFAIK what you said regarding sensors is spot on, and personally, the only reason I'm looking at the 60D myself, is due to the controls and ergonomics.

Well said for the rest.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, If I had a few hundred more to spend, I would be going down that route as well. Or maybe say sod it all, and get a 5D. =P

Most likely, I'll get bored with the video stuff on the 550D and sell it in a year or two to get some sort of full frame setup. A camera body is such a temporary thing, its not worth it to spend too much time worrying about getting the "right" one, well for me atleast, as I'm constantly selling stuff on eBay, and can generally make my money back or possibly profit on resale.

Lenses are where the real important decisions are made!
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely, which is why, when I myself have the money, I'm going to be buying a decent body(alone - no kit lenses) and getting myself a 50mm f1.8, and then building my lens collection. Personally I like to get something that will last me a while, hence my looking at a 60D, but I see i can get a 5D mk1, for roughly the same price as the 60D new. But will still take me a while to save up for that kit, as it will cost me $1300. Unfortunately, in South Africa, everything is ridiculously expensive.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    edit2 :) I still can't get used to the buttons on the 5d :( and It is been like 10 000 shots till now i guess if not more. Buttons for selecting the AF point are driving me crazy :) it was so easy on the d90.

You tried assigning AF selection to the joystick? I did that and it got a lot easier. I also have the AF engage attached to the button on the back, not the shutter half press.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ben- yes it is on the joystick but I still have to hit the other button first( the one for zooming in when you preview the images) and then adjust it from the joystick - is there a way to make it work just from the joystick? If so this will save me :)
    I got my new 85 mm 1.8
    wooow just feels amazing. Did not really have what to shoot today so just some random tests :)
    IMG_1218-Edit.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So today I had my first real shoot with the new lens and I am very tired to work on the images now but here is one half ready :) Because i never had nothing better than the 50mm lens this feels sooo much better I can not believe it!!!
    I know that UV filters are not really recommended but I am getting one in order to protect this beautiful glass :)
    IMG_1506-Edit.jpg
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    went out shooting with a friend today, didnt touch my dslr for months beforehand - felt great!

stormyae.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved the UV filter stuff over to the General DSRL advice thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79655
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    you moved my photo post aswell Joe :( not that I'm too bothered, none of mine really square up to the badass shots that get posted on every page of this thread!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, we can't all be the best ... sometimes we can be our own worst critics too. Share your stuff and let US tell you it's shit ;)

Seriously, don't get discouraged if you don't think it meets up with these guys. It doesn't stop me :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about that marks, should be back now. =)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marks I am actually very curious about the location you guys were shooting in. I would love to see more images :)
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    It was some kind of amusement park on the end of Brighton Pier in the UK. I was snapping through some kind of fast spinning ride and that was the only frame which wasn't obscured by blurry machinery! I don't have any others worth posting, CF card was pretty full by the time we got there, we were shooting what could have turned into a riot earlier in the day.

img4148rm.jpg
    img4103ka.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    A typology of fire hydrants, shot around the Seattle/Cap Hill area.

- Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 - Model K4A
    - Kodak 400TX
    - Sekonic 308s

hydrantstypology.jpg
  • Schultzie
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Best one from yesterday's bike trip.

5655306578_dfb1cb4ab7_b.jpg

very little post work, got great colors out of the 50 on that morning.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Damn i love your posts Disanski :). I'll post some shit soon too.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Japhir. Here is more from yesterday :)
    IMG_2071-Edit_SFW.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanksi: I'm really loving these.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured it was about time I jumped in here! This last semester I've been taking a old-school 35mm black and white photography class.

This was shot using a 35mm Canon camera with a 50-80mm lens and Ilford HP5 400 APA black and white film. I developed the film by hand in a 5-step chemical process in the university darkroom, and then exposed an 8x10" sheet of Ilford photo paper using one of the lab's enlargers and developed it using a 3-step chemical process.

vQzhV.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As soon as this weather stops being a douchebag, I'm going to get back out there. I'm not big on freezing my ass off, or drowning in rain, for my casual photography :)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    mg1835.png
    Tried to make this one with HDR :). I made two images, focused on either the trees or the sky, and combined them in PS. Only shortly after that I found out my camera actually has a setting to take under and overexposed images. :P. Any ideas on how i could improve it?