Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post one nice photo you've taken recently

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah I hate extreme hdr's, that pic is really nice, awesome color bouncing going on.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're shooting at 1.8@3200 ISO and still have trouble getting a sharp shot, you really just do not have enough light. As disanski says, 1/60th ideally is as low as you want to go shutter speed wise, tho i'm pretty comfortable taking shots at 1/30th if its a relative still subject or even as low as 1/15th if i've got something to steady myself with, one thing that is a good idea, is to take multiple shots in continuous mode in low light, as camera shake/blur is a random event, one shot is likely going to come out better than the others.

At 1.8 and close up your focus point is very important, in that shot there the focal point is on your nose, with the very narrow depth of field it makes the rest of your face blurry. Its always best to focus on the eyes, if the eyes are sharp and in focus the shot will always feel sharper, as the eyes are what we are drawn to.

I shoot wide open with my 30mm 1.4 often, where the bokeh is extreme and the focal plane is very narrow, you've gotta be very careful as a slight movement forwards or backwards after focusing and before snapping the shutter will affect your focus, it takes practice and lots of experimentation to figure it out.

For portraits exacting sharpness is hardly ever a goal for me, I dont really like to see every little skin poor in super detail, so I dont have a problem with slight blur most of the time, or the narrow depth of field of a 1.8 or 1.4 lens, again as long as your focal point is sound of course.

16484784110032621016928.jpg

In this shot its clear to see that most of the image is out of focus and very blurry, but because the eyes are sharp and general features of the face, it has a high level of "perceived sharpness". Taking a straight on shot with the sensor parallel to the plane of the face also helps, to keep everything in that "plane of sharpness", when you do angled shots you need to use a smaller aperture with less narrow depth of feild to ensure sharpness, and thus a lower shutter speed. This shot was taken at like ISO 400(maybe 800? i'll have to check the raw later) at probably around 1/100th @ 1.4 in a rather well lit basement.

Poorly lit bars stress my 30mm 1.4 even at ISO 1600, i'de like my next camera body to be atleast usable at 6400. =)

[edit] ISO 800, 1.4, 1/400th, plenty of light in that basement =P
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    5438039959_c73c3c7c05_b.jpg

Just got my 28mm f/2.8 and lovin' it!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it says post ONE picture :) and i dont really want to fill up the thread with my pictures so I apologize but I have got 2 more from today that i like so I am posting them :) I hope you like them too.
    geri%20prozorec%20art.jpgGeri%20art%20stupala%20cherno%20bqlo.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disanski, I hardly think anyone is going to complain! the problem is when someone post 15 random shots they took seeing some band or whatever, you know the type.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Great shots disanski!

Two photographs shot with the Rolleiflex; first one using Fujifilm Velvia film, the second photo shot with Kodak Ektar 100.

r215_01w.jpg

r215_02w.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That first shot Paul .... damn :)
    The films that you use for that camera are not the regular 35 mm films are they? Are those hard to get? do they still make them? I have a friend that owns one of those cameras and it just need a bit of work on it which may not be expensive. I think the shutter can't close fast enough for the fast exposures and it just needs some cleaning up :)
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rollei takes 120 medium format film; Glazers Camera store in Seattle has a good selection of 120 film. 120/220 film is the only medium format film is still mass produced today and is the only type of medium format film that remains popular. Usually on old cameras like this it is the 1 second shutter speed that goes (breaks) first; if the optics and other mechanics are in good working order I'd suggest to your friend to repair the camera. It's good to keep this kind of vintage photography alive in the ever increasing digital world.

btw, Who are the models in your photos disanski?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answer Paul. I will offer my friend to help with the expenses for the repair and try to find the right film- I no longer live in the states and I guess I will have to get them online but who know perhaps in some camera shop they have them:) I bet finding a place to develop them here in Bulgaria will not be easy:) Any way is that what happens when you get hooked with photography- you get a point a shoot at first, then you get a entry level dslr, as soon as you know what you need you get a bit higher class camera and lens and then you go back to film?? :)
    I must find a good read on how to develop my own films- you mentioned before you do develop your black and white films - is this expensive?
    About the models - they are just my friends most of the time they are the people I go out shooting with and they are amateur photographers as well :)
    I only had a real model to work with once in my life but I could not take good shoots because it was my first time working with lights and I was not so sure what was I doing :)
    I find it very difficult to pose them :) and even if I do manage to pose them in the way I think it will work, then it is even harder to ask them for the right face expression...
    If you guys know about a book that covers some of the posing and face expression for portrait photography i am all ears :)
    Back to zbrush now :)
    Thanks again :)
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Paul: Thumbs up for getting good scans from Ektar, those things give my coolscan nightmares :(
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OO and this is the other thing .. you can actually scan them from the film? How does that work? What kind of a device do you need?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    You'll need either an expensive dedicated film scanner (coolscans, hassy flextight etc) or a newer flatbed film scanner from epson or canon (canoscan). Dedicated film scanners feed on film, while the flatbeds function like regular scanners.

EDIT: Just saw your previous post. B&W developing is dead easy, especially with more forgiving chemicals like diafine. These days all I do is shake it for a couple of minutes and let the thing dry :P
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Clearly my photos are not of the high quality being posted here, but I got a lil photo to post today!
    My mom was dying for a shot of this bird that came to our yard today, and basically forced me to get my camera out and snap a picture. I got one that turned out rather well, though!
    closeUp_Redpole.jpg
    The bird is a redpoll, and my mom (an avid birdwatcher) wanted to post it online to find out if it was a common or a hoary redpoll. :P
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So Mezz was itcommon or a hoary redpoll :) don't keep us waiting :)
    I am just back from my friend and I found out what kind was the camera that she has and unfortunately is not Rolleiflex. It turns out it is a Weltaflex with a 75mm f/3.5 lens but I am still very exited to take it out. She said that it can be used as it is and no need to repair it for now :)
    I have to order some films and play with it.
    What would be a good and reasonably cheap b&w film medium format?
    I was looking online and some of the films cost like 40 EU :) . Would this be OK film for that camera?

http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-retro-tonal-p-2187.html

I am going to check on eBay as well.
    Enjoy your weekend everybody :)
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    lol!! According to a few trustworthy replies on the birding forum my mom posted this to, it is most certainly a hoary redpoll!! Thanks for asking! ;)
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another shot with the Rollei; Ektar 100 film:

r215_03w.jpg

And two shots from my Leica M6, loving this camera.

l215_05w.jpg

l215_06w.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    You are an inspiration Paul! :)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul .... :)
    SO one more from me I am very open for critiques if anybody has any :) Was not sure about the composition and on purpose I am not using the rule of Thirds and i added some extra grain :) just experimenting - I Like it a lot but not sure if I am on the right path :)
    IMG_7889-Edit.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Damn I wish I knew that many hot girls that like to get photographed...
    Love the colors and contrast, but no big fan of the grain, and that angle in the door frame on the right really bothers me...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I agree, think the grain is a little too much, and i think you could have lined the border parallel to the door frame. But theres some nice side lighting and the colour contrast between the red and blue is really nice.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xoliul and Ark. I dont actually know almost anybody here :) but i have been asking a lot of the girls I get to talk to and they tel their friends and so on.. and after i got few decent shots It has become easier to convince them because I can just show them the images and they like them most of the time :)
    About the frame .. yeaaa have no idea I think it is just perspective because i was almost at a ground level and i did strait the floor.. I will also cut back on the grain :)
    Thanks again.
    I guess back to zbrush tomorrow even if i would love to edit few more of the photos from today...
    This is the same photo with a bit different pp

• lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake

I see your cat photo, and i raise you mine

basil_not_edited_9-2-11.jpg
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    i see your cat photo and raise you a rabbit photo :D

its been hot here for awhile so we decided to give the bunny a bath and a hair cut, couldn't resist taking a snap :)

DSCF2842.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am so unsure how to crop my images :) I have at least 2-3 favorite variations of every image and I can't choose :)
    IMG_8105-Edit.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    disanski wrote: »
    Paul .... :)
    SO one more from me I am very open for critiques if anybody has any :) Was not sure about the composition and on purpose I am not using the rule of Thirds and i added some extra grain :) just experimenting - I Like it a lot but not sure if I am on the right path :)

I dunno if its just me, but I've always found bold colors and geometric lines go well together, straighting out the lines also makes the contrast between the organic women and the rigid walls stronger.

UdZ8n.png
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OO that looks great ZacD.. I am not sure how did you make them straight?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    crop w/ perspective checked, it does cause some distortion though.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ZacD. I never knew that button existed :)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    well, here is my foot...

Photo0009.jpg

I actually took this for vein reference for a character I'm working on, but the wonky FOV made me chuckle. I snapped this with my garbage camera phone while cleaning up after an equally lackluster workout session.

Heh, on a bit of a serious note tho, I don't want to seem like I'm mocking the thread in anyway, I just instantly thought of this thread for some reason as soon as I snapped it.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    took this with my HTC Inspire the first day I got it to test out the camera (8 mp). i swear it takes better pictures than my point and shoot 10.1 mp cybershot

IMAG0010-1.jpg

sorry to anyone with a slow connection for the large image
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    went up some hills at the weekend. Went through half a dozen different types of weather within 10 minutes either side of this one.

5490255686_01ae79e6ac_o.jpg
    Untitled
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    ben it looks like the table continues back to the windowsill making it look like he has no legs. this is not a crit of the photo, because its a great picture, just a funny observation.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I think this is my favorite one from today (abandoned powerplant):

5422419015_d8be462d8f_b.jpg

First time I do HDR, this one turned out best. I really don't get how people make these extreme fake-looking HDR's, it's so easy to keep it looking natural..

This pic is really sweet, I think they run a single image through some sort of HDR filter and then a de-noising filter in photoshop. It's really annoying and terrible I see it running rampant on car forums.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »
    ben it looks like the table continues back to the windowsill making it look like he has no legs. this is not a crit of the photo, because its a great picture, just a funny observation.

I cant un-see this now. Awesome.

Experimenting with a cheap-o bounce flash, shooting manual, 50mm @ 3.5 1/200th ISO 100. Haven't really messed with flash much but using it to bounce of the ceiling opens open so many posibilities indoors, where I would normally be shooting at F1.4, ISO 800 and 1/30th of second or whatever.

pepopsharp.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Me and the lady went to the zoo recently. They had lots of animals there, like giraffes,
    g.jpg

fish playing hide and seek,
    blu.jpg

and a flying goat.
    flygoat.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyler wrote: »
    I like taking photos but don't know where to start :(

I think my camera is just one of those (probably terrible) digital cheapo cameras. What sort of price do the cameras you lot are using come to?

Anyway, took this a while ago but found it again and thought i'd add it to the other animal photos.

39052153223635603915386.jpg

Most people here are using $200-1000 cameras, with $100-500 lenses. Paul and Ben have thousands in gear =P

You can get started with a dSLR+lens in the $350-500 range.

Take a look here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79655
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    that last photo Disanski is awesome! Great composition and the colors are just to awesome! Only thing I would have done different would be adding a bit more lighting to the head so she doesnt have that hard black shadow running through the head
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zpanzer. Good point. I guess I got carried away while adjusting the contrast. :) I will see if I can bring some more light back. I was just testing the cheap off camera flash I got and playing with some long (10 sec) exposures and shining a light in front of the lens... It was a lot of fun.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    That top pic has the most amazing pose, disanki!!

Please never stop posting your awesome inspiring photos. :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Disanski, you have a website or something where your photo's are all put up together?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    disanski wrote: »
    IMG_8798-Edit.jpg

IMG_8895-Edit-Save_For_Web.jpg

One thing you should watch out for on both of these (great shots btw) on the lighting, is the dark shadows on the face. This is what happens when you mix a flash with the sun, and their is no fill light. A popular one is a ring flash, or just an umbrella beside or behind you, but you need something "on-axis" to keep the faces from getting those unsightly shadows where the two lights don't overlap. Alternatively you can bring your flash closer to on-axis, but sometimes you want that volumized look, and that's where an on-axis fill comes to save the day.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I am really glad you like those images. I had great idea about the first shot but I could not explain it well and it was first time for the model too so she was a bit stiff and I could not pose her the way I wanted....
    Thanks Ben for the critiques. I see what you mean . I do have a flash but I have never used it outside .. still trying to avoid it because I feel like I need to work a lot more with the natural light before I feel comfortable with it. However for those shots I was using a big reflector with the golden side up, but if it looks anything like a flash that means I have failed to deliver the image I was after :) It was my first time using it. Next time I will use the white diffuse side of it so it is just a fill light...
    Xoliul, I dont have a site up yet. I will get one soon for my character portfolio and could make a section for some of the photographs.
    When I do post those images on a photography forum I don't really get a lot of positive feedback but considering how recently I started taking it seriously and looking at my images 1 year ago, I am very happy with them.
    Perhaps I will upload some of them to flicker and drop a link here :)
    Thanks again for the feedback I really appreciate it.
    Here is one more image (little different this time)
    IMG_9134-Edit_Save_For_Web.jpg
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Schultzie - love that photo! very nice

nom nom.... (uhhh don't ask about the stick between his legs...Pandas....)
    5502191382_58fb179369_b.jpg

(from my flickr photostream)