Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    @Roach: Edit Polygons\Sculpt Geometry Tool
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Ok got my model sheets done, and locked down a costume I like.
    taurk_modelsheet.jpg
    taurk_modelsheetarmor.jpg
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Ghost_Rider! This for cinematic or for the lowpoly??
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low poly smile.gif I get 5000 polies to work with
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoachMXF polycounter lvl 18
    thats really nice linework dude, cool design also, thumbs up
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to be a lot of inter-species shagging going on here. Thats what... 3 cross breeds we've got now?That said, you concept is looking really nice, Ghostrider.

I wish I could work on my damn model. Lousy busted Windows.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ha. My windows is freaking out on me because I've made too many changes lately. Now it wants me to re-register it. Except I have no internet at my apartment, and no telephone. I've got three days, it tells me repeatedly. Damn Windows.

Some cool shit being pumped out in here.

Ghostrider - I'd like to see his hooves split into two big toes to match the rest of him... maybe with a hoove on the end of each? Get crazy man! Give him some tusks like his horns... only not so it looks like the trolls... so it looks AWESOME. yeah.
  • Jest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great ghostrider the armor looks great...excpet its too perfect. When making a fantasy character such as this you expect something more barbric in the armor. The armor looks great but I think you should rough it up a bit... maybe break some spikes on the shoulder have some of the orbs on the armor missing. It looks too circular, too perfect for a taruen. And personally I think you should break off a horn and not give it the filed down look, make it look like somthing had just ripped it off
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys.
    got the model started.
    taurck_wip1.jpg
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Dooooope!!!

Man, your revised design is looking sweet and that model is on the money. The weight and posture feels just right for a Taurk =)
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, thats awesome smile.gif but whats the polycount, looks like your already getting close to 5000 without any armor and stuff.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok got some armor up, I had to omit a few things, but I havent optimized yet so I might be able to fit a few more things in, but chances are this may be it, or I might add a few little things if I can.
    taurck_wip3.jpg
    taurck_wip4.jpg
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    That thing is totally awesome Ghost.

Be awesome if you could spiff up the armour with more of what you had in the concept, but even if you don't it pretty much kicks ass. laugh.gif

By the way, might want to call it a Taurc or something, it's spelt Orc in Warcraft, not Ork. :P
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    too many polys... wow characters have like what ... 6 sided arms? hehe smile.gif looks cool
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    damn, cool stuff!
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, here are some other ideas I was playing with for a character entry, thinking of doing them all in under 5k, dunno are they too rediculous?
    terrans!.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    lots of nice work in this thread!

heres a model i started a long time ago and never finished, not sure if its ok to enter the comp with something you started long before the comp did - anyone know? couldn't see anything in the rules atleast.

anyway:

diablo 4993 tri's
    headzi7.jpg

very old body model so forgive me if it disgusts u ;<
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    if you didn't see anything in their rules, then i guess it's ok. But after all, how could they know you've started this mesh long time ago? Now it's up to you to decide if you're happy with it or if you could do better now.
    i think you could save some tris on the teeth and do them with an alpha plane. That said, it's a pretty cool diablo piece smile.gifKeep it up cool.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i hope this contest is rated R.

bonechick_d3.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    v you crazy bastard, boobies are so diablo 3.

Looks good man. smile.gif wish i could find some time for this contest.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Rockstar, that's friggen sweet. Love the style.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Talk about limited range of arm movement!
    That's so badass though. Submit it as 2D character. Done and Done!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looking good rockstar, reminds me a lot of Slan:

Slan.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Geometry sitting at 4999 Tri's
    taurck_wip5.jpg
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    That's looking sweet Rockstar. Proportions look a bit weird though, like the face is too small or something. Could just be the angle of the head.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    @ghost_rider
    If WoW would look this good i would consider playing it. laugh.gif

A lot of awesome work in this thread!
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    Rockstar and Ghostrider both looking very awesome so far.

Here's a wip render of Tristram Cathedral, normal difficulty variant:

tri_cathedral_normal_01.jpg

Bloom added post-process in photoshop, think it's worth keeping? Also a lot of the "creepy" bits are still to come, like in my rough concept.

Hell difficulty variant (concept) still to come as well...

Last here's a screenshot with no lighting.
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man that cathedral looks awesome, but in the env ruls I just checked as I am doing one too it says they dont want it more than 5000K total :S so difficult, just thought I would give you a heads up, I had to change a lot of mine.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice cathedral, but it might be a bit too colourless.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    General question : Even if you do 3D objects I take it they intially want you to submit a screen shot/render of it right?

I've been scouring the rules and it's not quite clear what they want in regards to 3D objects as they only mention "giff, jpgs..." as 'supported' submission formats; I'm assuming they just want a render 1st?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Very nice cathedral, but it might be a bit too colourless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, it sorta matches the grimy grimness of Diablo.

It looks sweet though!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    very nice!

just needs that faint red ambient glow that seemed to filter through most of diablo... god I love that game... still occasionally hear the tristram theme music playing in the background of my head
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, here is an updates, the terrain is super low because it all has to be under 5k laugh.gif still gotta do lots of small doodads and the infested zerg mine entrance and add polygons to the env and the textures are all crap now so just the colors are what I am thinking now. anyway crits are very very welcome..she will hold a gun eventually haha
    wowconceptjerm4.jpg
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    soo.... about that 5000 tris thing. I really think that's meant to be taken with a handful of salt, and possibly only meant as a limit for individual buildings in an RTS/Diablo-type asset system.

Roach, both you and I have decided to make environments more geared toward first-person perspective, and to expect an entire onscreen environment of that type to weigh in under 5000 tris would be lunacy. I think we can lean on the "depending on the complexity of your environment" clause in the rules pretty heavily here smile.gif

'course, if I'm disqualified for having an 80k scene, then I'm disqualified laugh.gif
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    "Please stay under 5000 polygons (dependent on the complexity of your Warcraft Character) to be considered for this category." -Blizzard

"Keep in mind that WOW characters should not exceed 2000 polys." -Blizzard

Is this supposed to be confusing?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Please stay under 5000 polygons (dependent on the complexity of your Warcraft Character) to be considered for this category." -Blizzard

"Keep in mind that WOW characters should not exceed 2000 polys." -Blizzard

Is this supposed to be confusing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're saying that a Warcraft character needs to be <5000, and if you're specifically trying to emulate WOW you ought to stay in the 2k range.
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am pretty sure they are solid on 5kish, because if you check W.O.W. out its around that range, sure the terrain is done with height maps and is higher res, but the models are very very low.

Here is what for example it says on the starcraft environment section on the first page of rules:

"Please stay under 5000 polygons (dependent on the complexity of your StarCraft environment) to be considered for this category."

I am being extra careful, I had used terrain in an engine initially like in the first shots, but if you read the finer text in the FAQ section they say that they "want to see what you can do with very low polycounts" so I am just giving you a heads up :S

I am doing a Canyon,with static mesh actors, so its gotta be relatively complex to be believable. I might exceed 5k, but I think I will try to keep it under another few K max
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Well, there goes my wow goes next-gen idea smile.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    OOO OOO! i want to play!

heres mine. its pretty self explainatory...

some cleanin to do on it, but other then that i think the base mesh is ready to rock, gonna start unwrapp and mudboxin tonight. its right at 3k tris.

b27427da.jpg
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

An environment is either:

* An interior or exterior of an architectural structure
    * An outdoor landscape, geological or organic formation
    * Any other world object from any of the Diablo games, books or other Diablo/Starcraft/Warcraft products

Poly Count

* Please stay under 5000 polygons (dependent on the complexity of your Diablo/Starcraft/Warcraft Environment) to be considered for this category.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm think they mean the low poly enviroments to be without characters as the cinematic section mentions units. just a small enviroment.

the cinematic entires says:
    [ QUOTE ]

An environment is either:

* An interior or exterior of an architectural structure
    * A vast outdoor landscape, geological or organic formation,
    * Caves, trees, lightpost/lightsource, shrines, vehicles, units
    * Any other world object from any of the Diablo, StarCraft or Warcraft games, books or products.

Tools?

* Feel free to use any product or technique to model and texture an original 3D Environment from the Warcraft, StarCraft or Diablo universes.

[/ QUOTE ]

they seem to be looking for different things between the low poly and high. and i'm pretty sure the poly limits are set. if it's over 5000 polies it is disqualified for the low poly entries.

roachmxf: you might be able to pull that scene off with 5000 polies with a little trickery because of the view point (sprite marines, sprite background, no polies on the back of the terrain). i think though, it might be a bit beyond the scope of the low poly category. you could go all out on it and enter in the cinematic. smile.gif

noritsune: your cathedral would easily fit into the cinematic enviroment category.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rockstar and Ghostrider both looking very awesome so far.

Here's a wip render of Tristram Cathedral, normal difficulty variant:
    http://www.scottduquette.com/tmp/tri_cathedral_normal_01.jpg

Bloom added post-process in photoshop, think it's worth keeping? Also a lot of the "creepy" bits are still to come, like in my rough concept.

Hell difficulty variant (concept) still to come as well...

Last here's a screenshot with no lighting.

[/ QUOTE ]I am so using that as a wallpaper. I love the colors in it dispite that some one thinks its a little colorless. good work :thumbup:
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    rockstar!! bastard!! i was thinking of doing a succubus... grrrrr..
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work guys, very impressed with the enviroment work!

Rockstar :O BastaRD!!! Now I have to Kill YOU!!
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Cathedral looks fantastic, Noritsune.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    dont laugh at my skills, but i hope to make a diorama type dealie where a zealot is fighting a hydra to the death while falling off a cliffside.

place holder concept art below:

zealvshydra.jpg

and yes i help make games for a living wink.gif
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is another rough sketch..
    starcraftdesertscene.jpg
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    an updated paintover on where I wanna go with my env scene...
    wowconceptjerm-copy.jpg

critiques are very welcome.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along well, Roach, but which section are you planning to enter this in? If you're going in the CHaracter comp, then you're using lots of Polys for your environment that won't be judged or vice-versa for the environment comp...

Anyway, I've managed to fight off Microsoft's attempts to stop me from using my legitimate software, so I should have something new for you all to ignore up by the end of the weekend.
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its supposed to be a env comp, but I like having a char, though I have gone another direction yet! and might be able to get away with uber low poly chars laugh.gif I will post tonight ahha