Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Thats looking cool!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'm loving the revamp of that concept Sectuars.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Nice Sectaurs, that's looking kick ass.

Though I've gotta say, he must have troubles sitting down.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Protoss don't need to sit down. They just use their superior minds to rotate the universe 90 degrees.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Protoss don't need to sit down. They just use their superior minds to rotate the universe 90 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Haha, the protoss equivilant to a Chuck Norris joke.

Now, what sort of Necromancer would be complete without a bad ass demonic scythe?
    necromancer4.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    god damn, thats hot neo.

I should just get you to model mine, too :P
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks man, I'm sure you'll be able to handle the modeling yourself, haha.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs, thats cool smile.gif

I thought I'd start 3d sketching, to get a quicker idea of how the concept will work. Its rough and basic, but I can now push the concept a little further

DIGISK1.jpg

DIGISK2.jpg

I'll probally do some paint overs tomorrow and also re-skulpt my 3d sketch;)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the shapes of the bones coming out of the back of the second itteration. the mud-sketch looks like he's got kray-zay hair, what with all the gooey spikes.

I've sort of painted myself into a corner as far as the arms go. I'm thinking he'll get no psy-blade... maybe a little keyboard to work his uber macros.
    protoss_02-1.jpg

[box backgrounds rule!]
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More information has been posted by blizzard: http://www.blizzard.com/inblizz/contests/artcontest2006/

I'm still debating whether or not to ender. I know there's no chance to win, but I'm a long time blizz fan so it'd be great to enter.

A question for everyone, if I did enter, would my submission be good to use in a portfolio as well?

And great stuff guys. Some amazing work already. smile.gif
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    so germans arnt allowed to compete / submitt yeah thats a shame D:
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    @Tulkamir:
    seen in the FAQ:
    Will I be able to use my artwork submission for other purposes than this contest?
    While your art submissions become the property of Blizzard Entertainment in consideration as part of your entry into the contest, you may use your entry materials to promote yourself and your business, including the right for you to be known as the author of your art submission.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Human females ftw btw wink.gif even tho i prefer undeads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such a statment could easily be taken out of context.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 'em cold and stiff, myself.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the only limit for low poly 3d is 5000 polys. Sweet, I wasn't planning to go over 5000 for my model anyway. I still get the feeling that this also is a talent search for their team. I mean, they are looking to hire art positions right now.

anyway, here's an update:
    Necromancer5.jpg
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Well crap, with my moniker I'd better make something.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    how many polys do you think most WoW characters are, say the NPCs.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Decked player characters are around 2400 tris. NPC's I would think are the same.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    how many polys do you think most WoW characters are, say the NPCs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Note: This is a Warcraft 3D Character Contest and not specifically a World of Warcraft Character Contest. If you choose to model and texture a pre-existing race or character in WOW and are attempting to match WOW’s poly counts and style however, focus on the armor and a weapon that the character might use to showcase your originality. Also avoid putting a helm on the character as a helm can impede your ability to showcase facial modeling skills. Keep in mind that WOW characters should not exceed 2000 polys. The hand-painted textures are also the key to getting the most out of your limited poly count.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like they're really after environment artists, given how many times they recomend entering them throughout the rules and FAQ.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paintover.jpg

i have a good idea of were i m going right now
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    oh shit Tim - thats really hot- a definate progression from the first sketches you did! Got that MR Rockstar last competition entry feel going on but that's definately not a bad thing.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I couldn't find anything about texture sizes for the contest. Can we use any size texture we want?

Spacemonkey: Lookin' sweet!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I guess you use whatever texture size you deam appropriate. Obviously try to keep it reasonable, since they seem to be looking for game asset-quality.

I'm thinking I'll just give mine a 1024, and see if that can't cover it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Double Post. Yes!

I need to stop fiddling with this. I'm calling it done.

In my imagination, Protoss step out of rifts. Naked.

protoss_04.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna try and do a little something, heres a bit on it so far...
    blizzgirl02.jpg
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to be doing a cinematic version of Thrall

and this is what I got so far. trying to model in as much detail as possible.

thrall_WIP04.jpg

thrall_WIP03.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    so germans arnt allowed to compete / submitt yeah thats a shame D:

[/ QUOTE ]
    read properly :P

they changed the rules laugh.gif \o/
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Environment art is where its at. I'm working on my own version of the giant sea-turtle submarine for which theres a small, rough sketch in the "Art of Warcraft" book. I'm going to try for the impressionist typed palette and low poly art style of the actual game. None of this futzing about with normal maps for me.

Concept soonish.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    SHHHIIITT Sectaurs, that's PIMP! Love your work man!
    spacemonkey, great concept! Its reminding me a little of mr_Rockstar's Dom War entry. I think it just might be the teeth on the shoulder part of the armour, I also liked some of the early variations as well. But all in all, great stuff!

-caseyjones
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    sec, the detail is nice.. but he feels like he is going to fall over immediately after shooting that shit from his hands. maybe its because he only has one leg :P
  • vitala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yo guys!,
    Awsome contest... and GREAT work so far, im living those concepts spacemonkey and the protoss.. dam they are nice.

im modeling a high poly cinematic dreanei with custom high tier armour.

also if time ill do a low poly orginal one.

here some pics..

dreaei.jpg

tentoqe3.jpg

backbg6.jpg

dont look at his back yet ! :P..

I will texture him in photoshop unwrap him in unwrap3d.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shouldn't he have a tail, or is that one of those "don't look at the back" things?
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    So...um...I WAS going to have something to share here today.
    ...and then Windows had a critical error...after 5 hours of not saving. Somebody shoot me... mad.gif

*sigh* well at least now im warmed up.

Some sweet looking stuff here btw. this is gonna be a fun thread.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, all this stuff is looking great. laugh.gif

vitala - That head looks WAY too small to me. Well, that or the body is too big. laugh.gif Awesome otherwise though. laugh.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evil-shoulder.jpg

other shoulder armour
    Erm, glad you guys like it but I did not intend it to look anyhting like Rockstars awsome dominace war char.. frown.gif maybe when I added emis glows? blush.gif
    Sectaurs hot, but I do agree with M00se
    vitala - great start!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha Space, hate to say it, but I kinda noticed the similarities to the Dom war necro as well, though i thought id just leave it and see where you go with it. The right shoulder in particular is awfully close to Rockstar's piece Check his concept here

Regardless, its looking top notch. Specially liking the patchwork robe (human skin? demonhide?)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know Tulkamir, I think the head vitor made looks fine at its size. It matches Blizzards dreanei concepts pretty well. Although Vitor, what's going on with that little bunch of polys in between the thumb and index finger?

Sectuars, I'm really loving the texture your putting on the protoss' skin. I hope you convey that well on the model as well. Are you planning on doing any normal mapping with your model?

Spacemonkey, I'm loving the evolution of this concept! I would say the only resemblence is the maw for a shoulder pad. and it's really just the teeth that look the same, because rockstar's model took on a more techno-arcane look. While yours is haveing a more classic organic arcane.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I think the final product will be sufficiently different from Rockstar's so as to not be a problem. There are worse pieces you could draw inspiration from.

Neo_God - You always spell my name wrong tongue.gif I'd really like to give this model a go in mudbox or zbrush, hopefully I'll be able to get my grubby hands on one or the other soon. If not, I'll do it the old fashioned way, in max. But yes, full normals are intended. Never really done that succesfully before, time to learn. Doubt I'll get it done in time for the contest, though. Can't wait to see where you go with yours.

Vitala - Your dreanei looks far too wide. I know the concepts show them as beeing stout fellows, but I think you've gone a wee bit too far, and thats whats making his head look out of place. As an aside, I hate what Blizzard did to the dreanei for the expansion... I thought they were much cooler in War3. Now they've got hooves and tails and look like 'good' demons. bah.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Some people already have a 1 year head start on this ( http://www.realtimecg.com/template.php?n=list&id=28 ). I'd like to see some follow-ups and hopefully a few new entries that never made it in time for the deadline. (Prototyp3s Zerg especially)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    spacemonkey: I didn't mean anything bad by saying how your concept reminded me of mr_Rockstar's dom war entry. It was more of a compliment actually. I know it wasn't your intention to make it look like that, considering the initial concepts for that character were completely different and they've just slowly transitioned more to the darker side.

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty rough, but you get the idea.
    33d.jpg
    As I mentioned above, going for real Warcraft stylee.
  • PoR3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoR3 polycounter lvl 17
    One question i couldnt find an answer to in blizzard's FAQ :
    Do you think we can make several characters for an entry ?
    I mean a team of characters, a small group, or are we limited to only one character at all ?
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The dreanei's head looks way too litte IMO.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    spacemonkey: cool stuff, but i think you went in a bit of a different direction than you were going into originally, like the original sketch had that sort of slightly post apoc look to it, which i thought would have been neat to explore, you know the worldstone blows up, but some people/demons still survive the cataclysm and becme sort of like scavangers in the wasteland, rogues. i thought that mixed up with fantasy would have been really cool. the stuff you got now looks more like traditional fantasy, its still cool though, if you wanted to go completely overboard maybe add wings? oh and i know legs are boring, but hehe maybe add some demonic hooves or something? the way he is now theres nothing interesting from the waist down at all.

vitala: where the hell did you come from? lol cool looking dudeman u got there.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    hey guys -

couple rough (super mega rough) concepts of what I"m thinking of. I wanted to do a Diablo environment and settled on Tristram cathedral, interior. Also I wanted to do the same scene but with three variations in texture/lighting/details, since I always thought it would have been cool if the three linear difficulty levels in D2 had carried over into the visuals more.

so here are my super rough concepts for the cathedral in normal diff and hell diff. the idea was to go from a gloomy semi-busted cathedral (normal) to a much more dangerous/mordor look in hell with more intricate spiky iron ornaments, flames, chains, etc. nightmare will be somewhere in middle. sugestions much appreciated!
    tristram_cathedral_normal_01.jpg
    tristram_cathedral_hell_01.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    noritsune, thats a great idea. it would be fucking great if games did that. Pain in the ass doing every texture three times, but worth it, i think, in the end.

concepts lookin good.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess who...

assshare.jpg

Still feel like i have to push the concept more though. right now its feeling a little vanilla for my taste
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds fun.

I'm going to find out what would happen if a troll and a tauren made sweet sweet love;

CenTroll.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might not be up on my genetics but I'm not sure biped + biped generally equals centaur. Never the less it should make for a neat concept. One possibility, based on the Warcraft mythos, might be the bastard progeny of a Centaur and Tauren. That would be one outcast child.
  • Vudu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT - I'll open a thread at a later time with all my media
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    So what's gonna happen when Blizzard realizes there's better artists playing their games than making their games? laugh.gif