Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

Replies

• Primrose~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    Endritv said:
    Promoting your skins in your own thread is fine.

That user however is not maintaining a work-in-progress thread. They posted everything after the fact, each post minutes apart. If I were judging, I would disqualify that skin.

• You must create and maintain a Work-In-Progress (WIP) thread at Polycount for your entry in the CS:GO forum.
    • All submissions to the Steam Workshop for this contest must be final. Use your WIP thread on Polycount to show your work-in-progress.

There are so many people doing this, posting wips after they have finished their guns, did valve set the rules or did polycount set them? Who will be applying these rules to the contest? Since you are saying polycount will not be judging any of them I am wondering if Valve will really be following the rules that much while judging the skins on the workshop. Not sure if they will be caring about the wips that much. Either way I will keep following the rules.
    If I recall correctly, every major polycount competition ( KF2, Dota 2, even TF ) has had that as a longstanding rule, your thread has to be a live WIP. There's no way around it. If you posted a finished product and then had WIP, but didn't actually show the process of you making it in the thread, then you are not following the rule correctly. Simply put.
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon

Primrose~ said:
    If I recall correctly, every major polycount competition ( KF2, Dota 2, even TF ) has had that as a longstanding rule, your thread has to be a live WIP. There's no way around it. If you posted a finished product and then had WIP, but didn't actually show the process of you making it in the thread, then you are not following the rule correctly. Simply put.
    And I completely agree, I've been holding wips of my skins from the start. My question is, did Valve enforce these rules in the other major competitions when chosing the winners? (KF2, Dota 2 and TF)? The reason why I am asking this is, because as we all know Valve isen't really a company that communicates with the public. I don't want to see someone who doesn't follow the rules win.
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    Primrose~ said:
    Endritv said:
    Promoting your skins in your own thread is fine.

That user however is not maintaining a work-in-progress thread. They posted everything after the fact, each post minutes apart. If I were judging, I would disqualify that skin.

• You must create and maintain a Work-In-Progress (WIP) thread at Polycount for your entry in the CS:GO forum.
    • All submissions to the Steam Workshop for this contest must be final. Use your WIP thread on Polycount to show your work-in-progress.

There are so many people doing this, posting wips after they have finished their guns, did valve set the rules or did polycount set them? Who will be applying these rules to the contest? Since you are saying polycount will not be judging any of them I am wondering if Valve will really be following the rules that much while judging the skins on the workshop. Not sure if they will be caring about the wips that much. Either way I will keep following the rules.
    I completely agree, I have been updating my wip threads from the start. i am just wondering if Valve or polycount put these rules and wether Valve or polycount will be enforcing them.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rules in the first post were written by Valve.

Later we added the last four sections, the ones with the big blue headings. Hopefully to clarify frequently-asked questions.
  • arcticnoah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to bother you again, just wanted to check one last thing. If I were create a WIP post and keep adding to it everyday or so until my submition/design is finished, may I edit the first post to be a 'compressed' version with all the images and notes from the other posts so that its easier to read and just generally 'better' presentation?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to bother you again, just wanted to check one last thing. If I were create a WIP post and keep adding to it everyday or so until my submition/design is finished, may I edit the first post to be a 'compressed' version with all the images and notes from the other posts so that its easier to read and just generally 'better' presentation?
    Usually the best way to do this is to leave the first post as you originally wrote it, but add a section at the top with a single "latest progress" image, a little bit of text saying something similar, then a divider between this edit and the rest of the original post. 
  • Deadlyiremiix12345
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how do u make one
    Read the first post in this thread. If you have questions after reading, then you can ask them here.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 2
    Hey I just wanted to ask a quick question since I've run into a small problem. I've finished my submission and posted it up on the workshop and I've also accepted all the terms and agreements (save for the tax information which I'll get around to doing sometime this week) and my skin is listed as public however you can't find it on the main page or by searching for it and can only get to it through the link I've provided. Is this a bug and if so is there a fix? I'm worried valve won't be able to see it if they look through the workshop. 

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I just wanted to ask a quick question since I've run into a small problem. I've finished my submission and posted it up on the workshop and I've also accepted all the terms and agreements (save for the tax information which I'll get around to doing sometime this week) and my skin is listed as public however you can't find it on the main page or by searching for it and can only get to it through the link I've provided. Is this a bug and if so is there a fix? I'm worried valve won't be able to see it if they look through the workshop. 

If you've followed the instructions in the first post of this thread, then you're fine. 
  • Jeby_Persern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeby_Persern vertex
    How do I submit a skin to the competition?
    You read the rules.

Jeez, how many more questions am I going to get like this? 
    Lots. For Example:
    how do u make one
    I pity you mods. Events like this bring lots of people in, I should know, that's how I'm here, but there's always those few many people.
  • Knubble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knubble triangle
    Is it possible to have a different user submit your item to the final submission thread?
    I already know I'll be gone for at least 3 days at the end of the competition and can't take my laptop with me.
    It would be a shame if I could not submit my work because of that :disappointed:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knubble said:
    Is it possible to have a different user submit your item to the final submission thread?
    I already know I'll be gone for at least 3 days at the end of the competition and can't take my laptop with me.
    It would be a shame if I could not submit my work because of that :disappointed:
    I don't see anything in the rules against this idea.

Just make sure that person has access to your skin(s) in CS:GO so they can publish for you. And also the Polycount forum so they can post your skin(s) in the Submissions thread.

Make sure they follow the submission rules, and that they understand exactly what you want them to enter for each option, including royalty percentages, etc.
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    Knubble said:
    Just post your skin to the workshop before u leave, and ask a friend to post it in the final submission thread on polycount once it gets made.

I don't see anything in the rules against this idea.

Just make sure that person has access to your skin(s) in CS:GO so they can publish for you. And also the Polycount forum so they can post your skin(s) in the Submissions thread.

Make sure they follow the submission rules, and that they understand exactly what you want them to enter for each option, including royalty percentages, etc.
    He means submitting it to polycount. I don't see why he should share his steam account to publish his skin, a lot of us have already published our works to the workshop, so he can do that before he leaves, and then just ask a friend to post it in the polycount final submission thread.
  • thetsd639
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thetsd639 null
    Have fun guys.
  • ifrostbite7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ifrostbite7 triangle

• Since these are assets for a game,the best way to present them would be to use the workbench to get screenshots of your finish on the actual weapon.

• Your presentation materials as detailed below should be posted to the Final Submissions thread. This thread will only be used as a means of displaying all the FINISHED contest entries to the community. Your entries will be judged via your Workshop submission, detailed below.

• Presentation Shot: This image must contain at least 2 angles of your item(s). Post effects from 3d software or 2d programs like Photoshop are NOT allowed in this image. The only adjustments allowed are: Brightness/Contrast, Levels, Sharpness, and Hue/Saturation.

Just to clarify some things, am I right to assume we are allowed to use 3D renders and in-game screenshots in the Steam workshop submission, it's just in the final submission thread we have to have an image containing 2 workbench angles?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify some things, am I right to assume we are allowed to use 3D renders and in-game screenshots in the Steam workshop submission, it's just in the final submission thread we have to have an image containing 2 workbench angles?
    The distinction between the Polycount submission thread and the workshop submission isn't explicitly stated. 

I am not a judge for this competition, but in my personal opinion, people should avoid using the prohibited effects in their workshop images. 

Further back in tthe thread I posted more thoughts on this subject, worth a read I think:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2442225/#Comment_2442225
  • RenegadeM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The distinction between the Polycount submission thread and the workshop submission isn't explicitly stated. 

I am not a judge for this competition, but in my personal opinion, people should avoid using the prohibited effects in their workshop images. 

Further back in tthe thread I posted more thoughts on this subject, worth a read I think:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2442225/#Comment_2442225
    I was reading the part about renders and how Valve doesn't like them etc... Point is that artists usually work with all kinds of cool maps and it's easy for them to get nice results in engine without post effects. I make renders of my weapons without crazy special effects and I do it just as a personal satisfaction. And to be completely fair the workbench is not an exact representation of ingame look either. I think the 3D render is more of a showoff for the artwork without trying to make people think that's how it will look ingame. Honest opinion, you think the render linked enters the "bad way" of doing a presentation?!  

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, this is not the best way.

Sure, it looks great as an image on its own. But a game skin has a specific context and a purpose.

Just like a photo of a hamburger is a fake staged setup, using glue and carefully arranged seeds on its bun. It's not real, it's an idealized fake.

Same with in-game items. If I'm buying a skin I want to see what I'm actually going to get, in the game context. 

But especially for judging purposes, a real screenshot is much more useful than a staged render. It's a regular consistent "known" process.

Besides, it's much better to have consistent presentation across all the entries, than to have to sort through a mish mash.

To hit both those targets, Workbench is the best way.

Just my opinion of course. I've been working as a game artist for more than 20 years. But I'm not an actual judge in this contest. I'm a forum moderator. I just want you guys to get the best outcome possible for all your hard work.
  • RenegadeM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright Eric, I'll keep this in mind! Thanks !
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Heads up, I got some clarification on Greentooth usage. You should avoid using it in your skins.

If someone makes a skin on their own, the Greentooth is definitely not allowed. Because this: "A micro-transaction item branded with the Greentooth logo isn’t allowed"  http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount:About

In the contests, we've said it was OK in the past, but in the end it doesn't get them picked. 

In this particular contest Valve has said no outside IP's, and that would most likely include our Greentooth. So it's best to avoid it.
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle

Heads up, I got some clarification on Greentooth usage. You should avoid using it in your skins.

If someone makes a skin on their own, the Greentooth is definitely not allowed. Because this: "A micro-transaction item branded with the Greentooth logo isn’t allowed"  http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount:About

In the contests, we've said it was OK in the past, but in the end it doesn't get them picked. 

In this particular contest Valve has said no outside IP's, and that would most likely include our Greentooth. So it's best to avoid it.
    But can I use it on the pictures? as I used it here: 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick said:
    I think it's best to avoid using the Greentooth at all in a contest entry.

More importantly though you have a bunch of filters going on in that image. It's obviously not made in Workbench. That will undoubtedly hurt your submission.
  • firexstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "A common critique strategy that works well is to post a "shit sandwich". This means to start with something you like about their WIP, followed by the meat of your comment..."  LMAO
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    Xilick said:

More importantly though you have a bunch of filters going on in that image. It's obviously not made in Workbench. That will undoubtedly hurt your submission.
    Okay, thanks. Removed the logo. And btw - all 3 pictures come from workshop with no single filter on. Only having black outline because there were some small pixels of green from green screen removal. I believe and hope this shouldnt be a problem, it doesnt change the way skin looks ingame
  • SnapdogStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick said:
    Xilick said:

Okay, thanks. Removed the logo. And btw - all 3 pictures come from workshop with no single filter on. Only having black outline because there were some small pixels of green from green screen removal. I believe and hope this shouldnt be a problem, it doesnt change the way skin looks ingame
    To removed the green pixels you can try this in Photoshop "Layer -> Matting -> Defringe"  on the cut out weapon layer, and set it to 1px.
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    To removed the green pixels you can try this in Photoshop "Layer -> Matting -> Defringe"  on the cut out weapon layer, and set it to 1px.
    Yeah, I usually do it this way, but this is faster for me as I can only paste the outline that I have already prepared for older skins. I strongly believe this is no problem in the contest. Thanks for the advice tho
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick said:
    Yeah, I usually do it this way, but this is faster for me as I can only paste the outline that I have already prepared for older skins. I strongly believe this is no problem in the contest. Thanks for the advice tho
    The image you posted doesn't seem to be following the rules, the following in particular. 
    • Presentation Shot: This image must contain at least 2 angles of your item(s). Post effects from 3d software or 2d programs like Photoshop are NOT allowed in this image. The only adjustments allowed are: Brightness/Contrast, Levels, Sharpness, and Hue/Saturation.
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, I just want everyone to have a good shot at winning. I wish you all the best.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 2
    Hey I was wondering if it possible to post the same skin with minor alterations twice for two submission as I can't decide which looks better or am I only allowed to post one of them (in this case the skin being my awp skin which I would alter slightlt and repost without taking down the original) and if so do I have to make a seperate thread or simply just add it to my current thread as an update since its essentially the same skin? Thanks in advance and my apologies if this is a redundant question, just curious.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how Valve would judge those. My gut says to post the alternate in your WIP thread. But if you're really dead-set on submitting both, then submit them as separate entries. 
  • Wundherfull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted a submission, and none of the pictures will come up? tips
  • flisky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted a submission, and none of the pictures will come up? tips

• try hosting your WIP images on a service like Imgur.
    • Once it's uploaded, right click on the image and choose "Copy image address" (or something to that effect).
    • Then come back to your post and click on the icon that looks like paper with a folded corner - paste the image address there (see image).

• Wundherfull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is how I did it and yet no images

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wundherfull in this post
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2446685/#Comment_2446685
    you're using imgur, but you're not grabbing the full image URL. You're trying to post the URL for the gallery.

Instead, go to Imgur, right-click on an image, and choose Copy Image Address (I'm using Chrome, might be different option for you).

That gives me this URL.
    http://i.imgur.com/eA43m8S.png

Then click the bent-page icon here on Polycount, and paste that URL into it.
  • Wundherfull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANKS so much
  • Wundherfull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check it out, my 1st skin :d
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    I apologize in advance, but this is regarding " Final Submissions" I know a lot of people have asked about this already, and I have already read all the rules and such, my question is that it says;

A thread will be created by a moderator, near to the end of the competition. This will be announced in a Sticky at the top of the competition sub-forum, as well as on the front News page. 

Is the reason I can't find this because its not near enough to the end of the competition yet?  I also looked on the "News page." I have finished my Weapon skin, I have uploaded pictures to the WIP thread and want to submit it.   Thank you.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 said:
    Is the reason I can't find this because its not near enough to the end of the competition yet? 
    That is correct. We have more than a week to go before the end.
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    @Eric Chadwick
    With previous valve hosted events in mind, when will we be getting the results for this contest? Around the week after the 30th of may or later?

• K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Endritv said:
    @Eric Chadwick
    With previous valve hosted events in mind, when will we be getting the results for this contest? Around the week after the 30th of may or later?

I belive in the contest rules it is stated that results will come a week after the end.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • RenegadeM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric can you make me the skins! :love:
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    K_A_S_I said:
    Endritv said:
    @Eric Chadwick

I belive in the contest rules it is stated that results will come a week after the end.
    lol
    I must've overread it, I read the rules but didn't see it, fuck, I'm one of them now, one of those who asks obvious questions. What have I become?
  • Emkay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emkay polycounter lvl 5
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    I have another quick two questions that I was not able to find the answer to on here, When I publish (submit) my weapon skin to valve on steam, in the description box do I only put the link, or the link and a description of the skin?  I also used a screenshot in work bench for the preview, I cropped the edges, so it is just the weapon alone. Is this acceptable? Thank you in advance.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Description and link. From the first post:

Your submission should include the link to your Polycount Forum thread for this contest. Please add this to the box where you supply a description of your item or skin.

There is not a clear guideline specifically for the Preview Image. If I were submitting, I would tailor my preview image to match the submission guidelines as much as possible.
  • Primrose~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    Yeah, I think it'd be in an artists best interest to play it as safe as possible, and not get their submission disqualified when it comes to the final judging! Valve and Polycount, in my experience, rarely bend the rules in any real way! They take them very seriously. No one is above the rules! Especially ones as clearly written as these.
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle

• Since these are assets for a game,the best way to present them would be to use the workbench to get screenshots of your finish on the actual weapon.

• Your presentation materials as detailed below should be posted to the Final Submissions thread. This thread will only be used as a means of displaying all the FINISHED contest entries to the community. Your entries will be judged via your Workshop submission, detailed below.

• Texture Sheet: This image should contain your textures laid out in the weapons UV layout.

• Concept/Reference Sheet: Any concept art, preliminary sketches, reference images, etc.
    Do I understand correctly that the only workbench screenshots, uv sheets, reference board, etc. should be posted in the final submission thread that will be made, while in the workshop submission we can put anything as long as it has the link to the WIP thread in description and proper tag in name?
  • Primrose~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    K_A_S_I said:

• Texture Sheet: This image should contain your textures laid out in the weapons UV layout.

• Concept/Reference Sheet: Any concept art, preliminary sketches, reference images, etc.
    Do I understand correctly that the only workbench screenshots, uv sheets, reference board, etc. should be posted in the final submission thread that will be made, while in the workshop submission we can put anything as long as it has the link to the WIP thread in description and proper tag in name?
     I think you're looking for the second bullet , mate.   "Your entries will be judged via your Workshop submission, detailed below."      the Final Submissions Thread is just a means for Valve to actually access and judge your submission ( and download it and test it out ingame if they like it enough ), so follow what's listed there, it's not a 'we can put anything' area, they're judging the submission itself and I'm sure they'd like it if the workshop page followed the rules.
  • Damianforever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it required to post your UV textures + Alpha when you upload?