Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo, guys, what is Swag Bag? xD
  • BicMan554
  • shoes_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shoes_ polycounter lvl 7
    Your presentation materials as detailed below should be posted to the Final Submissions thread. This thread will only be used as a means of displaying all the FINISHED contest entries to the community. Your entries will be judged via your Workshop submission, detailed below.
    Can someone help me understand this part of the submission guidelines? Is there a separate thread (aside from our WIP thread) that we need to post in once a design has been completed?

• Loony_R_u
  • Cul_de_Sac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cul_de_Sac null
    i have the same issue as the original post or atleast the one you replied to. im new here and i just want to join the skin finish contest. i dont know what WIP is even. and how to update my work here on polycount. sorry. please help
    Have you used a forum before?

Jannigo said:
    Welp, I tried to update my WIP thread with the link to my presentation thread but it says something that I don't have permissions to do that and apparently deleted the thread (Thread not found). :worried:
    Please see Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions.
    well no, this account is new i just created this so that i can join the skin finishes contest..
  • Lord Scottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shoes_ said:
    Your presentation materials as detailed below should be posted to the Final Submissions thread. This thread will only be used as a means of displaying all the FINISHED contest entries to the community. Your entries will be judged via your Workshop submission, detailed below.
    Can someone help me understand this part of the submission guidelines? Is there a separate thread (aside from our WIP thread) that we need to post in once a design has been completed?

I have the same question :-)
  • Firsthearth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can I make this WIP thread?
    Thanks for the help. :smile:
  • RenegadeM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jannigo said:
    Welp, I tried to update my WIP thread with the link to my presentation thread but it says something that I don't have permissions to do that and apparently deleted the thread (Thread not found). :worried:
    Please see Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions.
    i have the same issue as the original post or atleast the one you replied to. im new here and i just want to join the skin finish contest. i dont know what WIP is even. and how to update my work here on polycount. sorry. please help

WIP= Work in progress. Wich means you have to create a thread where you present us your working process from the concept to the final result, with screenshots. So you should start thinking of what you want to do, and keep note of it.
  • Konargus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some questions:
    1. What does 70-80' sci-fi mean? Do I need to use popular (or not) shows of that time period?
    2. What about copyright? For ex: if I use art style from Start Trek or similar?
    3. WIP thread: Do I need to update it while I work, or It's ok to create this thread after I finish and upload "milestone" screenshots?
  • Jeby_Persern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeby_Persern vertex
    Konargus said:
    Some questions:
    1. What does 70-80' sci-fi mean? Do I need to use popular (or not) shows of that time period?
    2. What about copyright? For ex: if I use art style from Start Trek or similar?
    3. WIP thread: Do I need to update it while I work, or It's ok to create this thread after I finish and upload "milestone" screenshots?
    1: Themes relating to the 70's and 80's Sci Fi scene, so something like a glowing line skin making reference to tron.
    2: Use similar art styles, really anything, but don't directly copy, and only use items that you created in the final version. The competition also mentions something about not making references:
    "While it is fine to use reference for inspiration your finish cannot contain elements from copyrighted works, reference to other IP’s, or make use of any images or material that you do not own."
    3: No idea, from what I've seen make a WIP thread, and then link your final submission, but honestly it's really unclear.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Work In Progress (WIP)

An artist uploads images and text periodically as they work on a new piece of art. They ask viewers for critique: commentary on what is working well versus what needs improvement. The artist uses this feedback to improve their artwork, and post the next in-progress image. This is repeated until the work is finished.

This is a long-standing tradition here on the Polycount Forums. Community feedback and artistic improvement are at the core of the value that Polycount has provided for years.

Constructive Criticism

Please see Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions for guidelines on how to give good feedback.

Honest critique can be difficult for new artists to listen to; people intuitively prefer praise over criticism. However it is constructive criticism that helps you grow as an artist and get better at your craft. You need other eyeballs on your work to see your art from a fresh perspective.

A common strategy that works well is to post a "shit sandwich". This means to start with something you like about their WIP, followed by the meat of your comment (your constructive critique), and finishing up with a compliment. This helps cushion the impact of your feedback on their ego. In time, artists grow thicker skins and actually seek out direct feedback alone, because that's where the meat is, and they can take it without affecting their emotional state.

It is ultimately up to the artist to pick and choose which criticism they agree with, versus which they do not. When you post your next work-in-progress image, it helps to type a bit of information about what you did and why you did it, along with what remains to be done. This helps the viewers to know what feedback might be the most constructive for you.

At the end of this process you have a finished piece to be proud of, you have probably grown as an artist, and you have contributed to a social community. You can take the things you've learned and apply them to your next piece.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Final Submissions thread

A thread will be created by a moderator, near to the end of the competition. This will be announced in a Sticky at the top of the competition sub-forum, as well as on the front News page.

In that thread the contestants need to post a reply for their weapon finish, which contains their entry submission. These must be posted before the contest deadline.

If you are submitting multiple finishes you must post multiple replies, one per entry.

Only your final entries should be posted in the Final Submissions thread. See the first post in this thread for details about what your final entry must contain.
  • PazCS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sounds like a really fun contest. 80's sci-fi is my fave, especially sci-fi comics. Can't wait to get stuck in.
  • altncaglar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    altncaglar null
    i am in but anyone can explain this words ? in easy english ? Your submission should include the link to your Polycount Forum thread for this contest. Please add this to the box where you supply a description of your item or skin.(not mother language

• Vinicioslc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vinicioslc vertex
    Right, then only one weapon finish, per user ??
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Final Submissions thread

A thread will be created by a moderator, near to the end of the competition. This will be announced in a Sticky at the top of the competition sub-forum, as well as on the front News page.

In that thread the contestants need to post a reply for their weapon finish, which contains their entry submission. These must be posted before the contest deadline.

If you are submitting multiple finishes you must post multiple replies, one per entry.

Only your final entries should be posted in the Final Submissions thread. See the first post in this thread for details about what your final entry must contain.
    Right, then only one weapon finish, per user ??
    No. One reply per finish.
  • Firsthearth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right... so. Where can I make a new thread (if WIP thread made with an other process, please tell me that too). Thanks
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    @Eric Chadwick Is this what usually happens here on polycount? The same questions have been asked over and over and over again, Is no one reading the first post? I feel so bad for you...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv said:
    @Eric Chadwick Is this what usually happens here on polycount? The same questions have been asked over and over and over again, Is no one reading the first post? I feel so bad for you...
    Not usually. Contests bring in a lot of new members. And some are very new indeed. But we do our best to help them out. Hopefully they can give back to the community when it's their turn.

Right... so. Where can I make a new thread (if WIP thread made with an other process, please tell me that too). Thanks
    This thread is inside a forum section called CS:GO WEAPON FINISH CONTEST. Make a new thread in this section, this is where you must post your work in progress. Follow the instructions in the first post of this thread.
  • Xplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where can i find the final submission thread?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xplane said:
    where can i find the final submission thread?
    Look a few posts up. http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2440641/#Comment_2440641
  • Xplane
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am looking for a good designer who can create those amazing skins (i am not good at designing) i have many ideas but can not create them. if you are interested email me or reply to this post.
    The contest announcement thread is the wrong place for these kind of requests. We have a dedicated Work Opportunities section. Choose the right section for your offer and make a post there. Your post above will self-destruct within 24 hours. Thank you.
  • Kitten425
  • Kitten425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Alright, lots of great submissions from people so far.... but I have no idea how to make a WORK IN PROGRESS LINK. I wont be uploading the PPBizon that I am making for this project until it is completely finished. But I do want to post WIP pictures to see what people think along the way. How do I open an WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD? Thanks!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitten425 said:

Alright, lots of great submissions from people so far....here is my steam workshop link but I have no idea how to make a WORK IN PROGRESS LINK. I wont be uploading the PPBizon that I am making for this project until it is completely finished. But I do want to post WIP pictures to see what people think along the way. How do I open an WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD?

Go here: http://polycount.com/categories/cs:go-weapon-finish-contest
    Press the big green New Topic button.

Make sure you read and follow the instructions in this thread.

Also, don't promote your thread here. I removed your link. This is a Q & A thread only.
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    If it is a rarer skin, does there have to be more detail and colours?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon said:
    If it is a rarer skin, does there have to be more detail and colours?
    Depends on what you mean by more detail and more colors. As the rules say, brighter colors and details that fit the geometry are better for rare tiers ...
    Sticky: CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest
    • How do I design for a specific tier? Weapons with bright colors and designs that perfectly complement a weapon’s geometry end up in the upper tiers. Weapons with more subdued colors and/or more randomization in the pattern application end up in the lower tiers. Each weapon case contains a range of rarities.

• The Valve CS:GO team will decide the ‘Top 8’ winners. The winners will be chosen based on the originality and artistic execution of their designs as-well as how well the finish fits with the the predetermined weapon rarity tier.

• Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    @Eric Chadwick *Presentation Shot: This image must contain at least 2 angles of your item(s). Post effects from 3d software or 2d programs like Photoshop are NOT allowed in this image. The only adjustments allowed are: Brightness/Contrast, Levels, Sharpness, and Hue/Saturation.* 

So are renders allowed but we aren't allowed to retouch them, or are 3d renders not allowed at all, only in-game screenshots?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv said:
    So are renders allowed but we aren't allowed to retouch them, or are 3d renders not allowed at all, only in-game screenshots?
    I think this is explained best in the first bullet point under "Presenting Your Submission". 
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    Endritv said:
    I think this is explained best in the first bullet point under "Presenting Your Submission". 
    I understand what you mean, I have my workbench pictures and everything, but a presentation shot is a seperate bullet point under the "Presenting Your Submission". Are the workbench pictures considered your presentation shots or not? I'm asking because it's usually a habit in the workshop to render out your presentation shots.
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    @Eric Chadwick Hello, I made my WIP thread in Counter-Strike: GO forum (link to my post) but then I noticed there is whole forum especially for this competition. I would like to ask if you could be so kind and move the thread from 

Counter-Strike: GO

to 

CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

as I believe this is where it belongs better? 
    thanks alot in advance

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick said:
    @Eric Chadwick Hello, I made my WIP thread in Counter-Strike: GO forum (link to my post) but then I noticed there is whole forum especially for this competition. 

Ok, I moved it for you. However your thread title doesn't follow the contest rules. You might want to re-read them.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv said:
    I understand what you mean, I have my workbench pictures and everything, but a presentation shot is a seperate bullet point under the "Presenting Your Submission". Are the workbench pictures considered your presentation shots or not? I'm asking because it's usually a habit in the workshop to render out your presentation shots.
    Well, that whole section is about the same subject. Individual bullet points aren't to be read out of context. First one says "best way to present them would be to use the workbench".

When Valve says "present them" they are talking about the same thing as "presentation shots".

Use Workbench.
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Hey Eric, I have a question regarding inspring on references and what is too close and what is alright.

http://polycount.com/discussion/169224/pc-csgo-m4a4-bounty-hunter/p1

This is the skin I am making, all design choices are explained there, would it be disqualified for being too close to something (perhaps Boba) and colours/motive change is required or is it all cool?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I said:
    Hey Eric, I have a question regarding inspring on references and what is too close and what is alright.
    I don't see any issues here. Colors are reminiscent of Boba Fett but you aren't using his logo or likeness. Just similar colors and chipped paint style. You can't copyright the latter. I am not judging this contest, but if I were I wouldn't see any copyright infringement in this skin. 
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    K_A_S_I said:
    I don't see any issues here. Colors are reminiscent of Boba Fett but you aren't using his logo or likeness. Just similar colors and chipped paint style. You can't copyright the latter. I am not judging this contest, but if I were I wouldn't see any copyright infringement in this skin. 
    Cool, thank you for quick response, good to know that I have green light on this one. :) Cheers!
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    I have drawn a weapon based on ghost busters so drew one of the ghosts on photoshop. Can I find out if this can be copy righted? I have made changes to the ghost and it looks different from the films one yet is still recognisable.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon said:
    I have drawn a weapon based on ghost busters so drew one of the ghosts on photoshop. Can I find out if this can be copy righted? I have made changes to the ghost and it looks different from the films one yet is still recognisable.
    I haven't seen your ghost drawing, but this is probably OK.

Judging copyright infringement is difficult, and variable. Some of the issues are outlined nicely here: 
    http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/
  • Simo_246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exscuse me where i can found " the link to your Polycount Forum thread for this contest"
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    Do i have to colour every part of the gun or can i use some textures from the vanilla weapons? This is for simple tiny pieces inside places you dont see. Half of these small parts i cant even find on the 3D model.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon said:
    Do i have to colour every part of the gun or can i use some textures from the vanilla weapons? This is for simple tiny pieces inside places you dont see. Half of these small parts i cant even find on the 3D model.
    This is just my personal opinion, I'm not a contest judge. But your approach sounds reasonable to me.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Bixon said:
    Plenty of skins which have been added to the game use bits of the original textures - should be more than fine. I personally tend to go for an all fresh approach but it can definitely be annoying to manage all the unimportant bits and bobs.
  • OmegaFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv said:
    Well, that whole section is about the same subject. Individual bullet points aren't to be read out of context. First one says "best way to present them would be to use the workbench".

When Valve says "present them" they are talking about the same thing as "presentation shots".

Use Workbench.
    So, basically, 3rd Party rendered images are forbidden to be used in the presentation?
    Sorry, I need a clear answer for this. 
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    Is there going to be an unofficial vote from all of the creators cuz that would be interesting.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OmegaFX said:
    So, basically, 3rd Party rendered images are forbidden to be used in the presentation?

I don't believe there is a clear answer here.

Valve does say "Post effects from 3d software ... are NOT allowed in this image", but they don't outright prohibit you from using something different than Workbench. They just say it's the best way to present your work.

If I was competing in this competition, I would use Workbench.
  • Paul_Cupald
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul_Cupald vertex
    Hello,
    My first topic have been deleted somehow. Can I get any information why would somebody delete my topic?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    My first topic have been deleted somehow. Can I get any information why would somebody delete my topic?
    Thanks in advance!
    It looks like you deleted it somehow. I'll restore it for you. What is the title of the deleted thread?
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    OmegaFX said:
    Endritv said:

Use Workbench.
    Nah renders to promote your skin are fine man, just be sure to add 2-4 workbench pictures aswell. In the cs:go workshop people use renders to promote their skins 24/7!