Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

Replies

• luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    "We are unable to verify your tax identification information due to a scheduled IRS outage beginning 28 May 2016 at 3.59 PM GMT ending 31 May 2016 at 10.00 AM GMT. Your tax information will be validated at the conclusion of the IRS outage. Your account will not be activated until after that time"

I have this problem too, I hope this is not an issue.
    It seems a few people have this problem which is out of their hands.
    Its all up to this third party company and I think this would be extremely unfair if people were to not be accepted because of this detail.
    I hope Valve take this into account.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    LUKE7183 That really sucks. I think what at least could be done is to create one thread for all those people that are unable to upload their content due to IRS problem. Where each of them could post a screen from workbench + texture of their weapon. So Valve would have a record. This however would be best if MOD could create that thread and also said if he agree on such idea.

Personally I would not mind if deadline would be extended because of IRS outage by those 2 days. I finished what I wanted to do myself and I know how sad I would be if I did encounter such upload bug.
  • princeprabhu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbibbi said:
    When I upload submission later it says fill in bank information and so on, do I need to do that to be eligible? Or  can i just fill it in if a miracle happend and i won?
    TO ALL THOSE PEEPS WHO HAVE NOT FINALIZED THEIR SKIN BY NOT HAVING ENTERED THEIR BANK ACCOUNT INFO!

If I were you, I woulddave created a bank account and have entered those payment info (Not cos I will earn when my skin gets selected, but for the VIEWS fellow gamers.. In the Steam CSGO Workshop page, there's an official post saying this: <<<<
    Don't forget about popularity. Getting your finish upvoted and noticed is a great way to demonstrate desirability and collect feedback that will help you iterate on it. One of the factors we use to gauge community interest is the popularity of a submission.
     >>>>  [View that post here- http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791432902485/announcements/detail/252520900858601856]
     You know, any game developer will add what their players love and that's y they have a rating system in the workshop. Imagine a great skin that Valve is interested on, but what if it's creator hasn't finalised it on workshop, which is pretty sad. And am not saying that Valve will ignore if there are less views, but views and ratings tell the love of the players to have it in game.

:3There's a tough competition around here and again zillion thanks for Polycount and Valve to get us going <gg> HF!
  • artisan_keefe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Locus7 said:
    K_A_S_I said:
    Before it will be available to find via search you need to accept the revenue thing.
    That's unfortunate. There's no accept button, it's just a link to enter payment info. I guess later I'll try re-entering my bank account in case it's a weird bug, but there's no way I can get the tax information to go any faster:

"Waiting for verification of tax information

Your tax information is pending verification from the third party service, which may take up to 48 hours."

"We are unable to verify your tax identification information due to a scheduled IRS outage beginning 28 May 2016 at 3.59 PM GMT ending 31 May 2016 at 10.00 AM GMT. Your tax information will be validated at the conclusion of the IRS outage. Your account will not be activated until after that time"

Not sure where that leaves me in regards to the contest. Did anyone else run into this?

Hey man, I have the same issue.  The thing is Valve doesn't want your workshop piece to be public for purchase and no accompanying tax information.  I'm worried to because it's past my deadline and I am not public either.  DONT REDO your tax interview though.  It will start the 48 hour IRS approval over again then your really gonna have to wait.. I am sure Valve will have some system set for us since some people are new to workshop.  If not, the post to the workshop shows it is before the deadline and the judging process will take more than a few days, and our stuff hopefully will show before we are passed up in the worst outcome.  I wouldn't stress too much.
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Am I correct in saying because of this pending tax thing, this is why I can't find my skins in the workshop via a direct search? because it hasn't fully been completed? I find it ridiculous that this tax issue happens right at the end of the competition.
    This also leads me to believe this affects our votes since people will only find it if given a link.

It would be nice to hear from Valve about this issue.  I'm not trying to be "too worried" about this, but
    I kind of am, when I have spent so much time and effort in this. I don't think Valve would deny those who have this issue
    because it seems everyone who had to put their bank details in has this problem.  And my guess is, that's alot of people.
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    luke7183 said:
    Am I correct in saying because of this pending tax thing, this is why I can't find my skins in the workshop via a direct search? because it hasn't fully been completed? I find it ridiculous that this tax issue happens right at the end of the competition.
    This also leads me to believe this affects our votes since people will only find it if given a link.

It would be nice to hear from Valve about this issue.  I'm not trying to be "too worried" about this, but
    I kind of am, when I have spent so much time and effort in this. I don't think Valve would deny those who have this issue
    because it seems everyone who had to put their bank details in has this problem.  And my guess is, that's alot of people.
    Yes, it can't be found via search until completed, and yes people won't see it in daily voting q until it is completed.

You'll have to wait, not much choice.
  • Jeby_Persern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeby_Persern vertex

luke7183 said:

The issues a lot of you seem to not understand is you stand no chance of winning without your tax information and payment information. This is because Valve want's to know EXACTLY what position you're in, so if there is something they can't do, or a country they can't pay tax for, they won't break the law. To publish your skin to the workshop, you need to fill in all tax and payment information, and have it approved, before it's public and it could even be considered for adding to the game. Unfortunately, the IRS and whatever associated tax organizations that need to review and approve data take time to get back. Valve can't control this, and has no liability for it.

Giving others a link to your skin when not published will not help it at all, due to payment info not being complete. I wish you all luck, and though there is the potential for Valve to increase the deadline, to account for those waiting on tax info to be approved, I doubt they will, as it's probably too much trouble for them. Hey, on the bright side, you can still submit your weapon to the workshop (later) in hopes it's added to the game later, the only thing you'll probably be missing out on is the chance for a valve swag bag.
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    luke7183 said:

My first month on workshop went similar, I was not aware of this and had my information missing. The problem of not having these information filled in is however bigger then you think. I strongly believe it basically means you cant get your skin accepted ingame. There could still be a chance to get a swag-bag but I wouldnt relay on that because you probably havent filled in the adress. It is quite unfortunate that you kept this for the lastest possible moment because there is nothing you can do now but wait the 48 hours and I dont think valve would extend the deadline due to that as you could have done it sooner (the 30 days before) and this would never happen. But you shouldnt give up yet, if you actually enjoyed making skins then I would strongly recommend you to continue making skins as they can still get accepted to the game later. In the end - most of us started making skins just for fun anyway and I think that is the best possible reason as you wont get so demotivated upon not getting skin accepted (I am workshopper for over an year with 0 accepts yet and I still have alot of fun making skins) - just keep on trying and publish the skins once you get the informations confirmed. Best of luck to you!
  • yourseruy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yourseruy polycounter lvl 2
    done? Why people continue posting works?
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Thanks for the replies guys. I understand that Valve wouldn't be able to pay me until the tax thing is finished pending. But since there is a two week wait before they announce the winners, it would probably be finalized before then. Basically what I'm asking is would this affect my time stamp? 
    I couldn't do my bank details etc, before hand because it only asked for this information when I submitted it.
    I guess I will probably have to wait the 48 hours that I have been told it may take to clear before I know the answer...

Also does anyone know how much you would win? or is it all royalties? and wtf is a 'Swag Bag'? lol
  • Centauri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Centauri vertex
    Anyone have an idea as to if you can edit the post after the deadline? I've noticed something wrong with my Alpha channel and would like to edit it.
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 said:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I understand that Valve wouldn't be able to pay me until the tax thing is finished pending. But since there is a two week wait before they announce the winners, it would probably be finalized before then. Basically what I'm asking is would this affect my time stamp? 
    I couldn't do my bank details etc, before hand because it only asked for this information when I submitted it.
    I guess I will probably have to wait the 48 hours that I have been told it may take to clear before I know the answer...

Also does anyone know how much you would win? or is it all royalties? and wtf is a 'Swag Bag'? lol

Honestly I have no idea, personally I would guess that since you didn't finalise the submission by having your tax info set up and selecting your % share of the royalties that it won't be eligible to win but that's only a guess. it says the average amount an accepted submission earns in the first post btw.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CENTAURI I would wait with any edits for now. Especially that alpha mistake is not a critical issue I think. Hopefully we will get any news from Valve about deadline and its relation to IRS validation problem people have.

Once can day that if Valve were to ban strictly submissions for breaking rules I think that only handful would be left, but I would prefer not to test it on my skin.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today (Monday) is a national holiday in the U.S. so I wouldn't expect any movement by Valve today. This may also be part of why the IRS system is slower than usual.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, wait. I DID NOT enter my bank info, does this put me at a disadvantage? And also, just have PC | CSGO in the name in the workshop is enough?
    If you do not provide your bank and tax info, then you cannot be paid.

If you do not submit all the items discussed in the rules, then you will not qualify for the contest.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a little bummed that there wasn't a final submission thread for the entries to be presented simply and clearly.   That would have been such a convenient way to scroll through all of the skins and get to see them all easily, as opposed to having to click and scroll through each individual thread on Polycount, or sift through the Workshop, which is also pretty cumbersome and doesn't have the greatest sorting options.

Since so many of the submissions aren't made public yet due to the bank account issue, we also would have at least been able to view them all here in the mean time.  Ah well...

Also, I've had bank account and visibility issues in the past with certain submissions, and on the plus side, your entry does record the time that it was submitted, not when it eventually goes public.  So as long as the deadline was met, I don't believe that's something anyone has to worry about.
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    imbibbi said:
    When I upload submission later it says fill in bank information and so on, do I need to do that to be eligible? Or  can i just fill it in if a miracle happend and i won?
    I am thinking the exact same thing, also do value search the entire csgo workshop for the ones with the special tag or do they get them all from poly count?
  • flisky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon said:
     ...also do value search the entire csgo workshop for the ones with the special tag or do they get them all from poly count?
    im guessing the 'PC-CSGO' tag will help them refine the search. i would assume they've got more searching freedom than us to find what they need. just guessing, but i think they would first search for 'most popular' over the past 4 weeks and go from there to find the finalists.
  • TrinityTextures

Don't forget about popularity. Getting your finish upvoted and noticed is a great way to demonstrate desirability and collect feedback that will help you iterate on it. One of the factors we use to gauge community interest is the popularity of a submission.
     >>>>  [View that post here- http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791432902485/announcements/detail/252520900858601856]
     You know, any game developer will add what their players love and that's y they have a rating system in the workshop. Imagine a great skin that Valve is interested on, but what if it's creator hasn't finalised it on workshop, which is pretty sad. And am not saying that Valve will ignore if there are less views, but views and ratings tell the love of the players to have it in game.

:3There's a tough competition around here and again zillion thanks for Polycount and Valve to get us going <gg> HF!
    I don't feel like this is true at all. If you take a look at "glasglow died"'s workshop you will see the ak-47 bear that has over a million views and I think 30k favorites. I've seen valve pick skins that have friends who have gotten submissions in and they've told me time and time again that it's not always about popularity. Sometimes valve just adds a skin because they think it's unique enough.
  • Zizou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zizou null
    Hi i have a little problem, can you help me?... i was updating my WIP from here, and and error code block me out, and my thread was deleted or not found
    http://polycount.com/discussion/170846/pc-csgo-mp9-no-name-yet-wip#latest

this was my topic, for the Mp9-Incursis i did it in Terms of the contest... and now it's gone, any idea what it happen? something like i don't have permission or code 303 error come out. anything will be helpful
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zizou said:
    Hi i have a little problem, can you help me?... 
    You should be ok now.

This issue is covered in the Info sticky.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1#new

• Zizou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zizou null
    Zizou said:
    Hi i have a little problem, can you help me?... 
    You should be ok now.

This issue is covered in the Info sticky.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1#new

yes ! thanks! it's appear again :)
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Has anyone having the tax pending problem, got it sorted?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All your submission materials go into your Workshop. The WIP thread is just for work in progress, to show your work steps. You add a link to that thread in your entry. There are other things to add to your entry too. See the first post of this thread for details.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    The voting on my skin for this contest on the Steam Workshop is very unusual compared to all my other skins and makes me think someone may be manipulating votes. I posted my skin at 11:28pm, by the time I went to bed at ~1am I was #2 top of the day with 67% positive votes. The next morning I woke up and was on page 3 with 45% positive votes, I had gotten almost 400 no votes in a very short period of time. May 28th I had 39% positive votes with very few views, then May 29th I had 4 times as many views, with 69% positive votes and nearly the same number of total votes. I suspect this is because May 28th I was pushed very far down the charts by no votes so my skin wasn't as visible, but by May 29th my vote ratio was high enough to climb back up the charts a bit and be more visible.

Typically I would expect to see my vote ratio remain somewhat consistent across three days with traffic and views peaking on the second day. I've never seen a skin go from receiving nearly 70% positive votes to 40% positive votes, then back again.

• RenegadeM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is not unusual. And noone is manipulating votes. 
  • flisky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RenegadeM said:
    Sounds like something a vote manipulator would say!

(I joke)
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RenegadeM said:
    It is unusual for me, I haven't seen this on any of my other skins that have topped the daily page. I've heard from another skin creator that he noticed multiple other skins mysteriously and rapidly drop several spots.

• Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    flisky said:
    RenegadeM said:

(I joke)
    HA RENEGADE CONFIRMED VOTE MANIPULATOR!

RobStites said:
    RenegadeM said:
    It is unusual for me, I haven't seen this on any of my other skins that have topped the daily page. I've heard from another skin creator that he noticed multiple other skins mysteriously and rapidly drop several spots.

All jokes aside, when a competition like this is held, it's normal the downvotes will be pouring in. While it is sad and dissapointing, people will be downvoting other people their skin to put themselves ahead from the competition.

Like Renegade said it's not uncommon, skins I published in the past which I considered good have received 40% positive ratings. It happens.

You have to understand valve isen't picking the skins solely based on ratings. While these matter a little bit, valve knows when they see a good skin, and sometimes votes don't matter then.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv said:
    flisky said:
    RenegadeM said:

(I joke)
    HA RENEGADE CONFIRMED VOTE MANIPULATOR!

RobStites said:
    RenegadeM said:

All jokes aside, when a competition like this is held, it's normal the downvotes will be pouring in. While it is sad and dissapointing, people will be downvoting other people their skin to put themselves ahead from the competition.

Like Renegade said it's not uncommon, skins I published in the past which I considered good have received 40% positive ratings. It happens.

You have to understand valve isen't picking the skins solely based on ratings. While these matter a little bit, valve knows when they see a good skin, and sometimes votes don't matter then.
    The only reason I brought it up is because of the discrepancy in votes in certain time windows. Every one of my other skins follows a more gradual progression, usually starting at a higher percentage of yes votes, then trending down ~5-10%. I have never seen a skin go from 67% yes votes, then drop to 40% yes votes in a matter of hours, then go back to 69% again.

I'm not just complaining about low ratings across the board, but a significant chunk of no votes in a short period of time that ignores the overall trend in ratings.

Whether Valve is depending on ratings alone or not isn't really the point, if the contest is suggesting that voting is part of the contest then shouldn't they have some accountability for what goes on with the voting system?
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I joked about it 2 days ago. 
    It is especially funny people do it as I belive Valve will check every submission for this contest anyway. So voting don't matter much.

In dota its even funnier. People got super suspicious about others stealing their ideas, down voting, plotting behind their back. One of the reason why dota sub forum here on polycount died out is that everyone got so insecure.

btw... what is this bug with dizzy emoticon here on polycount that it replaces occasionally every line that I just write after pressing enter?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras said:
    btw... what is this bug with dizzy emoticon here on polycount that it replaces occasionally every line that I just write after pressing enter?
    This is a bug, and we're working on it. Info here. http://polycount.com/discussion/167852/bugs-we-got-em/p1 
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Konras said:
    I joked about it 2 days ago. 
    It is especially funny people do it as I belive Valve will check every submission for this contest anyway. So voting don't matter much.

In dota its even funnier. People got super suspicious about others stealing their ideas, down voting, plotting behind their back. One of the reason why dota sub forum here on polycount died out is that everyone got so insecure.

Haha, this bug made me posting my long-wip-stories so painful... :)

The voting seems kinda of for me too, when compared to my previous workshop uploads, but I blame it on green guns not being community favourites. :)
  • RenegadeM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The downvoting thing started happening since Valve changed the workshop. I can 100% tell you that those who spam links on your skins are the ones who downvote. So those are pretty much "bots" disliking top skins of the day, everyday. So you shouldn't really care or worry about.
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voting on the workshop is a farce, last year any skins I put up would get 80%+ positive votes and nowadays I'm lucky to get 60% positive despite my skins being higher quality now. < 50% positive is not uncommon.
  • pRopaaNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS vertex
    I downvote most skins because the workshop is just oversaturated with good skins so I'm pushing up my criteries for what skins to vote up and what to put in my list of favourites. As for the increase of votes I'm guessing that it's just time for people to start looking at stuff we've made now after deadline is passed. 
  • ifrostbite7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ifrostbite7 triangle
    I think the whole thing with more downvotes is to do with the workshop queues. Back last year people had to either upvote or downvote the skins, downvoting seemed like a harsh thing to do to a skin. Now the queue asks 'would you like to see this item in game?' which asks for a much more accurate response for the community. Now rather than skins gaining momentum and reaching the frontpage through links and popularity of the creator, all skins are given fair and equal chances based on the % of people in the community who would like to see it in game.  And queues also means that every skin gets at least a handful of views to get them started, which is a much better system than last year where a few people could go through most recent and doom all of the skin there to never be seen. 

As for the deadline date, I am sure that was an anomaly due to the amount of people posting skins that day. Usually my skins would make it to the front page with just over 50% positive votes, whereas the 2 bizons I posted on that day are both sitting ~65% positive and neither has over 100 views. But this sort of anomaly is unlikely to reoccur unless another competition like this is hosted. Overall though I think the new system is much, much better than the old one. 
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    The votes on workshop are not a thing you should stress that much about. Especially during contest. Alot of people are only voting YES on their skins and all the others are NO vote for them (mostly the new-comers to workshop do that. They believe it is gonna boost their chances for the skin) - The "saddest" part for me is fact that SO MANY people vote the gun, not the skin. So even if you make a really sick XM, or a cool Nova - it is gonna get max few k votes. Meanwhile if you made the exact same skin on AK or AWP, it could go to houndreds of thousand views. 
    However, getting 60% positive means your skin is good nowadays. It does not matter that much on the votes tho, I think its mostly about Valve opinion, which is really good for us as Valve judges much better and they base on originality of the finish alot. They also understands that skins in case should be different so even if you make a skin that gets 30% of positive votes, I strongly believe it can still get ingame as long as it doesnt lack in quality and is unique enough.
    edit: I even have skin with nearly 65% positive and still with 80 views, but i also have skin with 40% positive and 3000-4000 views so it can be usually really random.

tl;dr: dont stress about votes.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the whole thing with more downvotes is to do with the workshop queues. Back last year people had to either upvote or downvote the skins, downvoting seemed like a harsh thing to do to a skin. Now the queue asks 'would you like to see this item in game?' which asks for a much more accurate response for the community. Now rather than skins gaining momentum and reaching the frontpage through links and popularity of the creator, all skins are given fair and equal chances based on the % of people in the community who would like to see it in game.  And queues also means that every skin gets at least a handful of views to get them started, which is a much better system than last year where a few people could go through most recent and doom all of the skin there to never be seen. 

As for the deadline date, I am sure that was an anomaly due to the amount of people posting skins that day. Usually my skins would make it to the front page with just over 50% positive votes, whereas the 2 bizons I posted on that day are both sitting ~65% positive and neither has over 100 views. But this sort of anomaly is unlikely to reoccur unless another competition like this is hosted. Overall though I think the new system is much, much better than the old one. 
    I've released skins both before and after the workshop update and agree that the voting is probably more accurate now, but that's not really what I'm talking about. I only brought this up because I've never seen a skin I posted immediately go to the top of the charts (#2 Top of the Day with 67% positive and rising), then a few hours later change to getting <40% yes votes for a few hours, then going back to getting nearly 70% yes votes.

The rest of you lot just seem to make excuses for why this doesn't matter or even justify people downvoting competitors. The truth is, we have no idea what Valve's judging criteria is for the contest at all and it's starting to look like the selection process for this is going to be just as murky and nontransparent as the rest of the Workshop process has always been.

It appears that regardless of where these 400 mystery downvotes came from, they seem to have effectively booted me from the Workshop queue, my views have dropped off almost entirely.
  • pRopaaNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS vertex
    RobStites said:
    The rest of you lot just seem to make excuses for why this doesn't matter or even justify people downvoting competitors. The truth is, we have no idea what Valve's judging criteria is for the contest at all and it's starting to look like the selection process for this is going to be just as murky and nontransparent as the rest of the Workshop process has always been.

It appears that regardless of where these 400 mystery downvotes came from, they seem to have effectively booted me from the Workshop queue, my views have dropped off almost entirely.

I think that good skins not getting implemented in game have less to do with downvotes and more with great number of good skins in workshop. Consider that there is just 1 skin per weapon for  weapon case usually. It's just oversaturation of content. Valve can't keep up with everything community makes, that's all. Voting system just helps to select the good skins from all of that bunch.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS said:
    RobStites said:

I think that good skins not getting implemented in game have less to do with downvotes and more with great number of good skins in workshop. Consider that there is just 1 skin per weapon for  weapon case usually. It's just oversaturation of content. Valve can't keep up with everything community makes, that's all. Voting system just helps to select the good skins from all of that bunch.
    This really isn't the place to discuss this, but the idea that Valve can't keep up with the good content when they consistently put the same 5 people in case after case is laughable. The amount of revenue generated by the workshop based on what Valve claims easily justifies being able to pay someone to look after the community that Valve is ultimately asking to do work for them for free. If Valve wanted to release more skins by other community artists they could just release skins more regularly, simple as that.

What I'm talking about here very specifically is a dramatic discrepancy in voting based on my experience in the workshop.

And ultimately, if the whole idea behind this contest is to promote the Steam Workshop shouldn't the goal be to leave a good impression on the content creators they're trying to appeal to?
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    Btw, any idea when we will have winners? results of the competition? I know it is supposed to be around week after the end of contest, but is there  an exact date too?
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Xilick said:
    Btw, any idea when we will have winners? results of the competition? I know it is supposed to be around week after the end of contest, but is there  an exact date too?
    A week after is a week after, I don't understand why would you ask about this. Rules say week after, so expect stuff week after... :D
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the first post is says "the" week after.
    "The winners will be announced the week after the contest concludes"
    So sometime this week I assume, I don't know how they'll get through all entries this week.

I think the whole thing with more downvotes is to do with the workshop queues. Back last year people had to either upvote or downvote the skins, downvoting seemed like a harsh thing to do to a skin. Now the queue asks 'would you like to see this item in game?' which asks for a much more accurate response for the community.
    Ohhh I wasn't aware that they updated it, I was away from the workshop for about a year. In that case I retract my statement about the workshop being a farce.
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Ok, so I'm new to this whole voting system. Can anyone tell me if this means I'm doing well so far?

Also, I don't understand why anyone would down vote it. I wouldn't down vote anyone else's, I'd simply just not vote for it. 
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 said:
    Ok, so I'm new to this whole voting system. Can anyone tell me if this means I'm doing well so far?

Also, I don't understand why anyone would down vote it. I wouldn't down vote anyone else's, I'd simply just not vote for it. 
    This looks pretty normal to me. CS:GO players can be pretty fickle about their taste in skins, even the most popular skins usually have someone griping about them on Reddit, so you can usually expect a decent chunk of "No" votes even on a good skin. I think under the new system anywhere between 65-75% is pretty decent.

Here is what my stats currently look like that I find suspicious. This is currently the lowest rated skin I've ever released, I've never had a skin go below 50% yes votes ever, something is clearly going on here. Especially considering the skin made it into the top 3 very, very quickly, then suddenly disappeared from the charts.

• luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    I have a feeling that maybe when someone's skin starts getting a high rating, people start bombing it with negative votes thinking theirs will have a better chance. Which is pathetic, I'm pretty sure Valve will know this as it is a competition and vote on their own terms.
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    RobStites said:
    pRopaaNS said:
    RobStites said:

"This really isn't the place to discuss this, but the idea that Valve can't keep up with the good content when they consistently put the same 5 people in case after case is laughable. The amount of revenue generated by the workshop based on what Valve claims easily justifies being able to pay someone to look after the community that Valve is ultimately asking to do work for them for free. If Valve wanted to release more skins by other community artists they could just release skins more regularly, simple as that. "
    Valve is putting the same people in the cases for  a reason. They are the ones producing the content valve needs / wants. If you want to become amongst them, spend more time on your skins and you'll become one of them in the future simple as that. We also have to realise we aren't doing work for free. Valve is giving us a oppurtunity, and you have to see it as such. There is no good reason for valve to publish skins more regularly either, why would they? They did the math, it probably wouldn't earn better than only having one case.
  • Foxyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was quite surprised and kind of stunned about all/some designs i saw as entry's for this particular contest.
    (I use my time quite often to vote for designs as much as i can in the workshop)
    I consider it unfair that people "hatevote" other designs since we are all working "for free" to get them good quality content
    (at lest some of us ;P). But i don't really bother, never got problems. (It's more of a thing for other tiny designers.)
    Let's give them some honorable mentions. I wish you all the best of luck!
    (I also started a series on Youtube to get more attention, to all the workshop contributors in general)
    Cheers! Foxy
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    RobStites said:
    Here is what my stats currently look like that I find suspicious. This is currently the lowest rated skin I've ever released, I've never had a skin go below 50% yes votes ever, something is clearly going on here. Especially considering the skin made it into the top 3 very, very quickly, then suddenly disappeared from the charts.

Man, there is nothing extraordinary "going on here"... You are apparently new to workshop, you shouldnt complain about having negative votes here. It might be hard to face the fact that people didnt like your skin, but thats just how it is.. You can't succed with every single skin as you desire. But please stop blaming this on some manipulatiors or whatever, even the well known workshoppers have some skins that just dont do well. Of course there is more "cowards" downvoting skins during contest to increase their chances, but that just means it happens to all skins so all skins are probably having more downvotes then they usually do. I can't judge too much because I havent seen the skin, but either it lacks quality or it is subtle style that is often downvoted more then colorful skins. But even with 45% positive votes you can still get the skin ingame as far as I know, I dont see reason why to stress so much about votes, in the end its Valve who decides.