Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition - August

Replies

• Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    i like that, might bring more publicity too. sounds good to me.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I think that's a really strong idea!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    ok, will work on that guys! =]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Why don't we just do a vote like the other contests in polycount? No concept thumbnails, just ingame render.

I really wish this is how valve handled all the submissions. They have an automated system for generating thumbnails in the actual store, why not use it for the workshop too, so everyone is on the same page? the submissions should absolutely be judged based on how they look in game, and yet I have a very strong feeling that they're mostly judged by someones presentation ability for thumbnails and bullshots (I see zbrush or HQ renders a lot..), and then you see the in game model and it's mediocre, but still has shitloads of votes. It just seems backwards to me.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Well they are products I guess. Thumbnails and such get people hyped for the actual item, same with promo images, and the workshop is a great place to attract customers for future sales
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I really wish this is how valve handled all the submissions. They have an automated system for generating thumbnails in the actual store, why not use it for the workshop too, so everyone is on the same page? the submissions should absolutely be judged based on how they look in game, and yet I have a very strong feeling that they're mostly judged by someones presentation ability for thumbnails and bullshots (I see zbrush or HQ renders a lot..), and then you see the in game model and it's mediocre, but still has shitloads of votes. It just seems backwards to me.

Really would not be a fan of this. A lot of the sets I make look substantially different ingame than they do in the store render. Also, it would mean that the wouldn't really be a need for illustration promo images which would be a shame. Yes, doing presentation means more work but I feel that it's still in the same vein as creating the actual item which is to say it's creative and mostly fun and not just some arbitrary bullshit you have to do. As far as the votes though, it really doesn't matter since Valve's internal decisions override the popularity contest that is the workshop any day of the week.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I have to agree with bounchfx. As a modeler i find all the illustration work a bit "meh" because thats not my field and it gives really no purpose to the actual item other then bringing votes, so i could rather spend that time on something else.
    Spudnik wrote: »
    As far as the votes though, it really doesn't matter since Valve's internal decisions override the popularity contest that is the workshop any day of the week.

maybe, but they have to spot the item first to make a decision and the first page is good for this.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Really would not be a fan of this. A lot of the sets I make look substantially different ingame than they do in the store render. Also, it would mean that the wouldn't really be a need for illustration promo images which would be a shame. Yes, doing presentation means more work but I feel that it's still in the same vein as creating the actual item which is to say it's creative and mostly fun and not just some arbitrary bullshit you have to do. As far as the votes though, it really doesn't matter since Valve's internal decisions override the popularity contest that is the workshop any day of the week.

well, ideally people would all vote on the in game view only, because that's what truly matters. It just tickles me wrong because I have a feeling most do not. I could very well be wrong of course.

And after spending tons of time making the item itself, the marketing part for me is by far the worst :(, it's just more time thrown on top when I could be working on another item. It's great that you enjoy it but I do not find it fun personally. However in the end I understand it's current necessity in showing off your item and building hype.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    And after spending tons of time making the item itself, the marketing part for me is by far the worst :(, it's just more time thrown on top when I could be working on another item. It's great that you enjoy it but I do not find it fun personally. However in the end I understand it's current necessity in showing off your item and building hype.

I definitely understand the feeling and also totally share it. But I also know I'm a lazy motherfucker and the promo images make me sit down and spend time on 2D which is a weak spot for me.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, that problem will always get back to us. We have a huge discussion months ago, with the need of admins to calm down a guy.

I think we will always need those fancy images because we need to make our item appealing, and an ingame image sometimes will not show the best of the item...
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    about the voting, Cyborgmatt is going to be one of the judges and he asked to send that to you guys

[9/14/2013 7:20:37 AM] Matthew "Cyborgmatt" Bailey: "It was bloody hard picking from this list, I honestly enjoyed all of the entries. Keep up the good work guys!"
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Btw, can you maybe add some runner up winners. They don't have to get anything, but since it is a big list, would be nice if there were some runner ups to know who was close to winning.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a good idea Vayne, going to check what are the votes so far, if we have some i will post =]

guys, i finished the collection with all the items!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179056062

going to post on reddit soon
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Lennyagony wrote: »

200x200.resizedimage

EDIT - updated with wip images

missed one :)

edit - same as frump, in on time but the icon broke a few days later when i updated the marketing images.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Missed my Anti-Mage weapon too because the image in the first post broke. :)

200x200.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huge congrats for everyone that made to the end on this month, i hope this competition is helping with the motivation and knowledge

this month we got a lot of entries and we changed a little how to pick the winners, we got 5 judges

Moose, founder of Join Dota
    LD - caster and founder on BTS
    Anuxi - workshop fashionist =]
    Cybogmatt - weekly patch review, tutorials and now doing update party night =]
    Wykr - writer of couple tutorials for dota and sharing news on his facebook page
    Daniden - winner of the official polycount contest

THE WINNERS FOR THIS MONTH ARE:....

2nd place - DRUST! by Zaphk and Onilolz!

1st place - Stag of the North! by airborn studios!
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations to the winners! :)
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats to winners.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    congrats well deserved!
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to the winners! But thinking about it, don't you guys think there should be 2 separate categories for single items? One for couriers/mounts/summons which take more effort and time to create and the other one for wearable cosmetics?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    bounchfx; Spudnik; Nannou;
    I brought that point out lots of time. I guess we can start dev forum thread demanding every item have mandatory ingame shot made by automated means, much like the store icons. This will at least provide you with how the item actually looks ingame and solo. There's too many times people just post full set shots, disregarding how the item looks with the defaults or the other sets.

Presentation is also the cheap way to bring in votes, and as a guy who sucks at 2D i find it unjust. People don't seem to love that you managed to squeeze all that detail and shape in 300 tris, but they'll cream over the promo image.

I doenjoy creating them, but how the item looks ingame is the thing that should be top priority.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But doesn't Valve look past that? There have been countless items with crazy number of votes but were ignored by Valve since, imo, they see through the promo images. Basically nullifying this concern.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats on the win guys, both incredible entries
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Isn't the Stag of the Northlight part of Airborn's set?

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=167449992
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    yes it is, but i think the point is that its part of the competition as single item as mount and not as the whole set.
  • t1mu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t1mu polycounter lvl 8
    theese items will be in polycount chest or they will select from all entries ?
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They will select from all entries considering that the chest can house more than two items!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i thought the items for the polycount chest have already been picked?

@zipfinator: yes it is a part of a set, but the set was not part of this competition, i put it in as an individual item, so i guess it follows the rules?

@vlad: i agree ingame shots should be mandatory on every single asset, though i don't think making the presentattion an automatic solution might be the best choice. I have no clue if the guys at valve generate the icons automatically, but i think there is at least a bit of hand placement of the camera going on. As using a premade automatic solution could end in the same situations as the current loadout viw does, with parts of an item beeing overlapped by the ui and such things.
    Also, the promoshot takes what? another half an hour to make, unless you paint that whole image from scratch, which i think kinda defies the idea of presenting your asset anyways.
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    congrats to winners.you are deserved.