Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop unnoficial monthly competition - May

Replies

• Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Dude I know that feel. Every time too. It's like YAY RIGGGING!

WTF SHOULDERS!?

Ye. Rigging is generally the part where people lose some weight in hair.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I've started my sculpt of the hood today. This is my first time doing cloth so I was hoping people may have some C&C as where to improve on it or some recommendations for videos to watch that might help?

78146698.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    MdK wrote: »
    I've started my sculpt of the hood today. This is my first time doing cloth so I was hoping people may have some C&C as where to improve on it or some recommendations for videos to watch that might help?

78146698.jpg

Besides looking at tons of clothing reference (look up LARP or Faire costumes perhaps), here is a nice reference for drawing (or sculpting in your case) folds in fabric:
    http://www.mightyartdemos.com/mightyartdemos-bradley.html
    (excerpt tutorial from a book)

Cheers.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome thanks!
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    I've taken a break from failing at animation to work on a set for Medusa. I wanted to give her a slightly more armoured look than her default outfit. I'm not so sure about the headpiece, her hair snakes are really difficult to design around.
    vkT1yg1.png
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I really liked this concept, and I haven't much to add in terms of suggestions.

The pteruges are really fitting for her as a hero that has inspiration in a Greek myth =)
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hudston wrote: »
    I've taken a break from failing at animation to work on a set for Medusa. I wanted to give her a slightly more armoured look than her default outfit. I'm not so sure about the headpiece, her hair snakes are really difficult to design around.
    vkT1yg1.png

I really like that headpiece actually and definitely agree about the ancient greek style armour/skirt. My only reservations would be the eye on the shoulder. I think maybe with the eye on the headpiece as well as Medusas and the snakes eyes there would be too many. I'm a bit torn though as the eye on the shoulder gives it some nice asymmetry.

Revised the hood, how is this looking?

96014232.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good. Don't be afraid to use some sharp edges and flat surfaces on the cloth, it seems counter intuitive for something that you'd typically expect to be soft, but it'll help to break up the surface so that the folds will read better.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I agree with you about the eye but I'm torn. I'll play around with it when I start sculpting and see what it looks like in 3D.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston wrote: »
    vkT1yg1.png

Keep in mind her two large snakes stay a fairly large distance above her head. Her default headpiece is pretty tall. Agree about the side snakes though... but they also don't move much near their base. You could form the helm around the base of those snakes and not have intersections.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    I've finished the staff I was working on, hope you guys like it!
    The concept is made by DoubleLeaf and I did the rest..

Click on the image for the workshop link.

3ozAypa.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Love it Andy, great job! Does it glow ingame?

EDIT: Just seen the ingame screenshots, it does!
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Finished with my skywrath mage set :)

workshop link

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144920572

cheers :)

2DF7FA82F733B92D854C5012556CAD8C8D32C00E

Mihal, really loving the set mate great work! How did you fix the problem for the injured idle and injured running animations on the head piece? His hair always clips out of the back and it's especially bad during these 2 animations. I am guessing this will affect everyone who makes a head piece for Skywrath Mage that covers the back of his head. I've tried everything and can't seem to fix it.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK : I tryed diferent things, but I finnaly decided to skin it to the neck1 bone .. Its rather rigid atm , but I dont have any clippings :)
    I allso enlarged the bottom part of the helm till I had no issues.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    MDK: Plx don't use red wax >.< Anything but that!!!
    But cool hood idea! Very assassins creedy :)

Okies I need some halp. Im blocking out the colours for sky's set and I dunno what I'm doing. I think I'm too tired or something. Any suggestions would be most welcome :)
    Things I'm having trouble with... Both wings binding colour, belt sash colour, helmet back/blue colour.

blockouttextures.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I'd like to see you pull more of the teal/aqua color he's got on the feathers of his default helmet - maybe push it a little more green just to break up the blue/gold that's everywhere.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Finished with my skywrath mage set :)

workshop link

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144920572

2DF7FA82F733B92D854C5012556CAD8C8D32C00E

could you try this code so i can put on the first post?

Okies I need some halp. Im blocking out the colours for sky's set and I dunno what I'm doing. I think I'm too tired or something. Any suggestions would be most welcome :)
    Things I'm having trouble with... Both wings binding colour, belt sash colour, helmet back/blue colour.

blockouttextures.jpg

looking great Anuxi! did you try with some more gold details on it?

on the middle one on the belt, i think it could look better with a more intense gradient

but its looking great =]
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    What's so bad about red wax Anuxi? I quite like it! :P

Finished the hood and on many peoples advice decided to drop the mask :)

268x268.resizedimage

BD23220F0A6469CE3A5F188167BF55B960BB59C8
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting a Doctor Doom vibe from that head shot, haha.
    Nice hood.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6

blockouttextures.jpg

As reverendK said, you could mix more lighter blues on it. Just like the original shoulder model, which you can find a good variation of light :)
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon: you could try to give him a more "emo" look , with some darker colors and some purple :D

blue-black-hair-colour.jpg

Remade the presentation image for my set ,and added some screen with the individual items + standard set allso.

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026621056/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570

tnx for the feedback guys .
    cheers

CE0B74507A540A9F4C70DDB0F17DAF60B81D2FE3
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Finished with the HP for my Skywrath Mage staff

amw9s9.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mihal - i like that presentation a lot more. Have you done any work to the individual item thumbnails?

*edit * nevermind. i could have just gone to the workshop and found out :) they all look infinitely better!

**edit edit**
    i just started laughing about your color suggestions for anuxi...because i just realized how emo skywrath mage really is.

some progress of my own. Finally got the shoulders to what i can only describe as "good as it's gonna get"
    SwmWIP05.jpg
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, everything is looking awesome.

I posted my 'Goldwing Staff' for Skywrath yesterday. I've gotten a few comments from people about the scale that I'm thinking about addressing:

268x268.resizedimage
    I also started moving on an idea I had for a Medusa bow. Here is a very rough basemesh:

medusabowbasemesh.jpg

I still have a few design problems to iron out (like...where does the arrow go? :)), and I'm not sure what kind of treatment I should give the snakes. I'm leaning towards a carved wood/gem encrusted look, but a bow made from living snakes might be cool too :)
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK : looking sweet:)

7thBattery: you should size down the top and the bottom of the staff only .. it looks like a hammer/ someting verry heavy :)

Here are 2 more items that I made these days and didnt got to upload them :
    Skywrath staff using the concept that doubleleaf gave me :

link : http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577863206939284865/F8AE7840283A011742E5A235B8AA04CA3DE73FB5/200x200.resizedimage

C2AD93253F0F9A86A1DBB6FE09C25506F8E36C59

medussa bow using a concept from a friend :

link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145156332

4F021BC28BB6FDE5CE324C39E4BE50728122A6BC
    5B1335FBF9147175053673F44F6864EB705BA346
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    7thBattery wrote: »
    Hey guys, everything is looking awesome.

I posted my 'Goldwing Staff' for Skywrath yesterday. I've gotten a few comments from people about the scale that I'm thinking about addressing:

268x268.resizedimage
    I also started moving on an idea I had for a Medusa bow. Here is a very rough basemesh:

medusabowbasemesh.jpg

I still have a few design problems to iron out (like...where does the arrow go? :)), and I'm not sure what kind of treatment I should give the snakes. I'm leaning towards a carved wood/gem encrusted look, but a bow made from living snakes might be cool too :)

Looking great I really like how your bow is made of 2 separate snake pieces that intertwine together. My only concern is that maybe the heads will get a bit lost in the ingame view. I would do a couple of ingame tests just to see how well they read from the top down view and maybe make them a little bigger. Looking really nice though.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK : looking sweet:)

medussa bow using a concept from a friend :

link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145156332

4F021BC28BB6FDE5CE324C39E4BE50728122A6BC
    5B1335FBF9147175053673F44F6864EB705BA346

Dude I love that bow :D Nice and big and chunky. You might need to work on the overall saturation on the colours though. Try to manage your saturation to use as focus points... Though you may not be finished yet. I ususally do all my saturation at the end :)

Okies thanks to all your feedback I tweaked some colours :) It still has a long way to go but its getting there!

wipTexture.jpg
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote:
    7thBattery: you should size down the top and the bottom of the staff only .. it looks like a hammer/ someting verry heavy :)
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm thinking I will do, just mostly re-proportion it a bit.

I actually used his original staff model as reference, and the head of that model is really large, but my shapes are bulkier.

I love that bow, though I'm not sure about the color. Maybe it could be a two-tone thing? Red/green or green/tan like the snakes on her head?

How does the bowstring work in Dota? There's obviously no model for it, does the game just render a string between 2 joints in the bow?
    Looking great I really like how your bow is made of 2 separate snake pieces that intertwine together. My only concern is that maybe the heads will get a bit lost in the ingame view. I would do a couple of ingame tests just to see how well they read from the top down view and maybe make them a little bigger. Looking really nice though.
    That is a really good call Mdk, I will try to do a quick lowpoly and bake to try it out. I always tend to put those kinds of things off and pay for it later. Though usually it goes something like 'ahhhh...finished...' *looks at lod0 poly count and sees it's 500 over budget* 'crap'
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Anuxi: Looking great as always, I feel there is maybe not enough variation in the blue. Perhaps it could have a gradient on the tails of the sash so it goes to a darker shade at the bottom rather than lighter. That way it fits with the whole Valve "lighter colours towards the head, darker towards the legs" advice.

Wow it feels wrong to be giving Anuxi any advice!

7thBattery: I'm no expert but I generally create my LOD0 first then see if it can be easily reduced into a LOD1 without much loss of shape. You can then use these to test ingame readability before doing your high poly sculpt.

Unless you are wanting some kind of magical glowing bowstring then I don't think you need to worry about it as it looks fine ingame without one. If you did want a glowing one I think you would need to model it and then use the masks to give it a glow, this could be wrong but I have never attempted it myself.
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    The bow design from the front page is still up for grabs if anyone wanted to collab. :poly122:
    Sharc wrote: »
    Designed up a Medusa bow if anyone wants to make it

hydrabow_by_terrormokes-d63ruwo.jpghydra_by_terrormokes-d63saxr.png
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    so by my count that's 4 snakey bows already.

no idea what other direction to take it in though. maybe some sorta ocean or corrupted beauty angle. ho hum.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so by my count that's 4 snakey bows already.

no idea what other direction to take it in though. maybe some sorta ocean or corrupted beauty angle. ho hum.

Haha, funny enough, my set has gone in a direction dealing with Medusa's mother Ceto, sort of an homage to the Sea-Goddess...
    Squid (Kraken?) and Sea-serpents make sense.

The bow shape naturally leans towards the snake, which is why the default one is two stylized snake heads per side. Hard to break from once its in your head (I have probably 50 concepts sketched out - all various snake themes! LOL)

Cheers.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    @mihal - i like that presentation a lot more. Have you done any work to the individual item thumbnails?

*edit * nevermind. i could have just gone to the workshop and found out :) they all look infinitely better!

**edit edit**
    i just started laughing about your color suggestions for anuxi...because i just realized how emo skywrath mage really is.

some progress of my own. Finally got the shoulders to what i can only describe as "good as it's gonna get"
    SwmWIP05.jpg

Looking great, but you might want to lighten up the gold slightly for the top parts, so it pops out a bit more from a distance!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxi: Looking great as always, I feel there is maybe not enough variation in the blue. Perhaps it could have a gradient on the tails of the sash so it goes to a darker shade at the bottom rather than lighter. That way it fits with the whole Valve "lighter colours towards the head, darker towards the legs" advice.

Wow it feels wrong to be giving Anuxi any advice!

Seee! I knew there was something wrong! I was trying to test that lighter tips theory but Its not meshing very well. I'mm make it dark :)

Always give advice! It's always helpful!
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Zaphk made some gorgeous work on the textures:

79yckf5.jpg

And I just finished the high poly bow :)
    2Uk4A.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Onilolz: really awesome work your doing. Not compleley sure aout the color pallet, I think a more dark bronze would be a better color, but really great work!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the medusa set! it feels nice and greek - the swirl theme is oddly fitting for what should otherwise be an ugly character :D

I really feel like the end of the tail feels kind of slapped on, though - it's not really grounded or attached in my eyes...

bow is already looking fantastic, though!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished both of my promo images. I wish there was a way to double check if the psd is correctly uploaded..

4AABEC1BF0540D5D4FA803836D700148334C7E82

FB94BB860828A9E7B332410AD5E70C938CE1411C
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon : thank you ; I see what you mean

Hope this is better ( tweaked the collor to fit her armor allso)

91778DC1910AD8220B5BA647D40F0032C4E3D95F
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mihal - image is broken :/

@ mdk - You should paint in the ribbon on Tusks hat - it could help direct the eye in the direction you want
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK : you comented just when I was re-linked the pic:D
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to see some contrast on the body of the snake, maybe some sort of patern - just to break up the big brown shape
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better milhau :D But Reverendk has a interesting suggestion about breaking it up with some darkness. Have a play and see how you could incorporate it in there :)

Okies I'm on the home straight I think as I finished the textures today. Unless you guys tell me its all bad, I can move onto retopoing the wing and skinning this bad bow tomorrow :D
    ingametextured.jpg
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better milhau :D But Reverendk has a interesting suggestion about breaking it up with some darkness. Have a play and see how you could incorporate it in there :)

Okies I'm on the home straight I think as I finished the textures today. Unless you guys tell me its all bad, I can move onto retopoing the wing and skinning this bad bow tomorrow :D
    ingametextured.jpg

I agree with the comment spudnik made in your workshop thread. Other than that looks great!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's terrible, anuxi. quit now.

the silhouette of those wings is amazing. I feel like SOMETHING is causing it not to read as well as it could...but i have no idea what. so i'm sure that's helpful. i lovfe the blue/purple at the top of the feathers - maybe the warmer colors could be a little more saturated, though? i feel like they're a little muddy, especially in the daytime light.
  • Sylei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Anuxi why are you so good at wings ! And that staff, the shape is so cool.

So after seeing OniLolz and Zaphk medusa set finished, which is awesome, I thought I'll show you my wip.
    Here is the hp progress, i'd like to know what you think ! (Still have to work on the tail and bow)
    0BXR5cQ.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good start Sylei! My only feedback would be the fins on the tail. Fins are kind of Naga Sirens thing, it could do with being something more snakelike.
  • Sylei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you ! For the tail, yes, I had this in mind :( I liked the shape though, maybe I can make it more like what that dinosaur has on the back, the dimetrodon (or this one :D ).
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Set's looking awesome, sylei!

here's some progress frome me...finally.

You can see the bracers here - which i'm calling done sans any major critique - thhey're pretty minor in the long run.
    also there is the progress on my highpoly for the belt. Colors are placeholders..just max materials to get selections from in photoshop :)

SwmWIP06.jpg

deviating ever furhter from my original concept...but i think i'm ok with that.
  • Zoja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoja polycounter lvl 6
    hello all. I just found this thread and thought why not join it. I am even working on a tusk weapon atm. finished the model today.
    2WJKu.jpg

PS: great sets guys, the medusa tail looks great too, but as hudston said, it should look less like naga