Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks, well for the textures I tweaked my process a lot these last weeks since I'm still learning. But basically, first I decimate my high poly sculpt from zbrush, unwrap the UVs manually with Roadkill/Maya and send this back to xNormal for normal/AO baking.

I also generate a second AO, a cavity and a high map from my normal map with nDo2, classical stuff I guess... I mix the AO map and overlay the cavity map or details from textures over a base color (and erase them selectively with a mask). I also generate masks from my normal blue channel and another by tweaking the levels of my height map. So, to make things short, I try to apply all of your advices until I get something I like. And some great tutorials like those from Ryan Smith or Galen Davis on 3dmotive have been really helpful too. :)

So if you guys have other advices or tricks I take everything :D
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zarakun: Wow, good advice. The process of doing all this for a low-poly model is new to me; Cool advice on obtaining a workflow. I have my high poly pillar textured and didn't think about how I was going to transfer the map. Hopefully I can render the texture from high to low along with creating the normal map, I guess...

@nbac: You dirty rascal, I hate you and your amazing (bootcamp) tutorial. Definitely will try this out when I finally get to that phase, maybe in another month, or two...
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    nbac wrote: »
    i have been asked how i created this
    rubble pile, so i did a quick tutorial

it is a pretty quick and semi automated process.

maybe it is useful to someone else

I'm very interested in seeing this tutorial that you've made but I can't seem to be able to view it. It might just be me but the link appears to be broken, is there any other way for me to view it?
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan wrote: »
    i have been asked how i created this
    rubble pile, so i did a quick tutorial

it is a pretty quick and semi automated process.

maybe it is useful to someone else

I'm very interested in seeing this tutorial that you've made but I can't seem to be able to view it. It might just be me but the link appears to be broken, is there any other way for me to view it?

You have to click on the word tutorial; the big, green text. It's a direct link to a .png that shows-off his entire process...
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    piko wrote: »
    You have to click on the word tutorial; the big, green text. It's a direct link to a .png that shows-off his entire process...

yes i know that but when i click on it the page does not load, just says Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to img18.imageshack.us :(
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i dont know it works fine on my browser. does anyone know a better imagehoster!?

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9937/tutorialep.png
    http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3662/tutorialy.png

in the second link just my contact email is missing the rest should be the same
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know it works fine on my browser. does anyone know a better imagehoster!?

ah the second one works, thanks a lot :D

very nice tutorial :thumbup:
    I'm using maya, mostly, but it's still very useful; and at the end of the day I can delve into 3DS Max if need be.
  • Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    piko wrote: »
    @Zarakun: Wow, good advice. The process of doing all this for a low-poly model is new to me; Cool advice on obtaining a workflow. I have my high poly pillar textured and didn't think about how I was going to transfer the map. Hopefully I can render the texture from high to low along with creating the normal map, I guess...

I wish I could achieve the same result as you directly in zbrush, but I'm a complete stranger to polypainting :,(
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I found out everyone likes to imgur, it's simple, easy, and effective. You can drag/drop images onto your images page and it uploads them.

@Zarakun: Thanks for the compliment. It feels like I'm doing something right. Took me a while to figure out how to polypaint tho, zbrush is sooo confusing. Believe it or not Mudbox is much easier and has a better variety of tools for creating textures, so I'm currently re-doing the pillars texture...
  • SergeiMirminski
    6e8f810fdf00b3e33051a1f0ecd2e4b1.jpg

Hi guys, heres my contribution.

Don't have any more time to work on it, and kinda got into the competition late- 27th- so heres all I can do.

If you care to look at any more screenshots.

Thanks
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    sergei very nice interpretation of the concept!
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Works eating all my time, this is all i got so far.

I'm going to add some more decorative pieces up the walls next. I feel the floor should be quite simplistic, after all you are meant to walk on it.

also sorry for the shitty lighting :)

update06.jpg
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still working on my scene, still feel like so many things to do and, with such little time to work on it, it feels like I'm still some way off; BUT as others are still working on theirs too I figured I'd post some screenshots of where I am at the moment.

The pool edges:
    2vuc9rp.png

The door/pokeball area:
    2qn3a5f.png

EDIT:

Added a screenshot with some better lighting:
    1672q89.png

Comments and crits welcomed, of course :D
    ps.Sorry about the poor lighting, I'm still very much playing around with it
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, been a while ^^

Im still going to work on this, Ive got most of the bare bones assets into the engine(the wall behind the door isnt done yet) and now need to make all the smaller assets and decals etc. Im not happy with the lighting, its too dull and Id like to put some diffrent colours in here.
    So much work left to do:
    frame000000.jpg
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the poolside tiles all textured. Going to work on the larger tiles behind them next...

YW3mkiy.jpg
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    kharn really nice progress... !
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nbac: agreed, Kharn it's nice to see your individual assets compiled into the scene. The color scheme fits well to the reference. Personally love the wall extension (huge border piece along the wall) but for some reason the columns seem a tad...large to me...as in, the diameter...
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hey dudes, here's my progress so far. It's still 80% placeholders, temporary bakes etc but it feels like it's starting to come together. Any feedback is welcome :)

WUY781p.jpg
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's nice, that you guys are still working on it.

@MathewO: Even though, it has still 80% placeholders, it looks promising!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hi there guys,
    bit more progress
    screen2iz.jpg
    @piko I think the problem with the pillars is due to the FOV , the picture bellow is the pillar on the left but seen strait on.
    fovpb.jpg
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, MIND...OFFICIALLY...BLOWN! The lighting changed the entire image and you're right about the column, looks great from this view. My favorite part are the regular tiles (tiled texture) placed throughout the environment. The light shining on them is a good touch. Can't wait to get anything from my scene into UDK...
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo still hammering this out gotta get water and some post process done, but gotta learn that stuff a little better, I feel like my lighting needs work too... C&C is welcome.

Almost%20There.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    @Kharn Amazing work here, love how your Indian interpretation of the concept came out! I'm also doing an Indian inspired thing, but you nailed the style of the Indian temples from the references I've seen. My only crit is that everything is looking very yellow, I think the scene could use some color variation, maybe bump up the blues in the lighting?

@R0gu3 This is such a unique take on the concept, really cool idea with the zen garden spin on it. I feel like the texture scale on the pillars is too small. They look like they're made from really tiny wood planks, which looks a little strange to me, especially compared with the scale of the texture in the rest of the scene. I could just be crazy too. :)

Okay, so here's where I'm at. Finally finished my doorway statues, and started a sculpt of a Ganesh-like figure. Wanted to keep the elephant theme of the door going. I'm going to bang out the rest of the assets and worry about things like mesh painting and second passes on the textures later. Still need to work on the lighting, make rubble, and what feels like a million other things. :(

ganesh2.jpg

udk6.jpg

udk5.jpg
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, so I know it's not great, but I'm wrapping it up with this last post, I'm happy with how it's come out! C&C is Welcome, Thanks for the feedback earlier Sybrix, I may tweak it later on but for now i have other projects to work on.

ZenPondDone.jpg
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    Good to see that I'm not the only one still working on this. I may not have achieved a high standard as some of you but I have learnt a lot (especially Zbrush). Here's my progress...

Only screenshots from Maya so far.

tumblr_mjuzis4DpD1rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjuzis4DpD1rk3q8ho2_1280.jpg

Didn't really follow the concept much. Just kinda went with what I felt like :/ lol
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mathew O: Great work on the scene so far, I really need to catch up. The statue on the pedestal looks dead on. Only crit are the tiles surrounding the poolside tiles. They don't seem to fit with the scene based off its texture. It resembles more a sidewalk, specially surrounded by your tiled texture, which has a much stronger specularity and normal...

dOJ0jwt.jpg

@Kharn: Are you putting the yellow/green color in your texture or adding it in a postFX box (whatever I heard it was called) in UDK. I'm curious as to which method is more beneficial to work in. I think it might give you, as in anyone, a better advantage and less hassle to try and match the overall color of the reference in a postFX box than including it in the texture. Not to say the texture can't carry similar colors at all. I shall try this out...

@sybrix: I love, love, love the elephant sculpture on the left, textured and all. Are you going to add a light shining down from the hole in the ceiling/chasm/lair/etc.?

@R0gu3: Bonzai tree is the best idea, as the pedestal, for this unique take on the reference. It's good that you are finished but bad that I have one less work to look forward to. The only piece I can't wrap my head around is the pillar--possibly wooden because of style chosen--placed on top of a glass floor. I don't think it would shatter easily but the weight would break-up the glass around the base of the pillar...

@selwyn369: Even though your not showing inside an engine, you are still further along than my work. I am awaiting for your UDK transfer...
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    im digging the zbrushed rocks
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Finished up this last night. Moving onto my escape project now. Let me know if you guys see anything terrible about it. While I need to move on ill take not of them and make changes when I get the time.
    7512868_orig.png

828528_orig.png

986855_orig.png

More images here http://alexwellsartist.weebly.com/temple-of-time.html
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliment Piko, I agree completely about the pillars, I just could not think of a solution that didn't require redoing the sand and glass >.> So they aren't load bearing, they're decorative :P
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Thanks for the crit Piko, I love you man <3

So I've gone really off piste here, I was starting to feel like a i needed a bit of a chance so that I didn't get sick of my scene.

hDIAwxX.jpg

Any feedback would be great, i'm having some really weird depth sorting issues close to the camera so that you can see the water through the tiles and the statue in the water will make its return at some point.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still going at it, next up is the big square pillar. its going too break up the repetition of the wall nicely.

Might have to start baking soon though, scenes getting might heavy
    update11720.jpg
    Fyi that ugly ass brick texture on the wall is just a temp, just wanted to demonstrate the idea
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    this is looking promising - keep it up!
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i finally managed to make the step to udk and to import most of my stuff :)
    there are also some udk props (foliage for example) as placeholder to get a feeling for the mood. cc in ps.

mod16.png
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    mathew i really like the way you go with the concept
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac, that looks really impressive. Great stuff
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice one nbac, not much left for you to do now

Heres mine, Its all low polygon now. I plan on finishing modelling everything before I do any texture work, should keep it more consistent.

screen grab from marmoset
    update12x.jpg
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i finally managed to make the step to udk and to import most of my stuff :)
    there are also some udk props (foliage for example) as placeholder to get a feeling for the mood. cc in ps.

mod16.png

Nice, I'm guessing all that post process effects are layers in Photoshop and not running real time in UDK yet? and what's cc in ps?
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cc stands for color correction, like using levels, curves, brightness/contrast, color balance, etc. Great work guys. Hopefully I'll post something soon and comment...
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah! thanks Piko
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    that last image looks really nice piko!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    am still partly working on this scene, just looking into adding foliage. It's a little over the top for the moment but it's still WIP. Off to Paris this weekend so will finish off when I get back
    Would appreciate some feedback, if anybody is still even keeping an eye here :P

ffdb3k.png

ps, I'm working at creating a whole tree along with a big root to go down that wall. Reason for this is 2-fold; 1) to add into my portfolio and expand my skills, and 2) to get some really nice and interesting shadows pop through to the middle area
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i still have an eye on this ;D
    your color pallet is to saturated i think.
    the different pieces should also match in terms of colorpallet.
    model is looking quiet nice°
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i have an update too
    and several questions - maybe someone can help.
    now everthing is pure udk - color correction and lens dirt effect!

i have a strange seam on the floor ... and it seems not to be an issue with the normal map.
    anyway my normalmaps have a wrong vector so they are looking in a wrong direction so normally i would flip the r or g channel but the problem is inconsistent somtimes its right somtimes not. ... *edit its the green channel

and a udk question. how do material instances work!? i know i can copy them and they are refering to a parent material but what to do, to have an independent version of the material?

mod18.png
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i think i solved most of my problems ;D
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i still have an eye on this ;D
    your color pallet is to saturated i think.
    the different pieces should also match in terms of colorpallet.
    model is looking quiet nice°

did you mean my scene?

I did hear from someobdy already that it's too saturated... hard to spot when you're so close to it. Thanks for the heads up (if was for me :P )

I'm still very much working on colour and on the lighting... just thought I'd see if anybody has any crits for me...

24domdi.png

I'm pretty pleased with how the shadows have come out from the trees :) [particularly as I've never done foliage, nor have I ever taken a scene this far before]
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    yeah i ment your scene its much better now!
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i call mine final for now.
    learned a lot and had a lot of fun!
    all foliage is udk.
    screenshot direct from editor!
    mod20.png
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    and a udk question. how do material instances work!? i know i can copy them and they are refering to a parent material but what to do, to have an independent version of the material?

You can do this, by making the material itself, and using "scalar parameter" instead of constants, "vector parameter" instead of constant3 or 4, and "texturesampleparameter2D" instead of texturesample2D. So just use parameters. Then when you instance your material, and open that instance, you can change the values or the textures/this instance.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    I've been watching this contest it has been really inspiring! So much great work.

frmdbl - I loved your final images. Would you be able to show us some textures? What was your workflow? Did you sculpt in Zbrush?