Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    tkfxity, I think you have some normals trouble on your plates.
    (dark gradient on them) Try to chamfer each edges or modify the vertex normals ( I don't know if you can do the second option in Blender )

sybrix: of course ;)
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    My progress so far

screenshot0009ck.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl (thats a complicated nick) - that looks cool! for a second i thought it was just a repost of the concept (lower half of the image struck me). good lighting and spacing match!
  • interrogator_chaplain
    So I spent the last few days, slightly slacking but working mostly on getting low polys done and ready to sculpt, so those progress shots will be incoming. Until then I have this update, THE FIRST TILEABLE FLOOR I'VE EVER TEXTURED BY HAND! (Pats self on back) It's fairly basic, but I like it as a first attempt:
    h0navMb.jpg
    (Rendered in Marmoset, I'm awful at getting things in engine until I'm close to finished everything, I'll fix up my floor and get this in soon to see how it looks. Thanks for providing so many examples for texture instructions! Can't wait to try them, maybe even do a height map and put on tesselation!)
    Texture Breakdown:
    2vIh2tW.jpg

On to sculpting things!
    And as always, your comments and crits are all greatly appreciated!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    steppan wrote: »
    So a quick update on my floors. I have gone and done mine as meshes that I can then rotate and hopefully down the line use vertex blending to break up any tiling. At the moment I'm having some issues where the specular highlights of some of the meshes are drastically different to other duplicate meshes, so I've taken the spec off for this WIP screen-grab

fn9r1k.png

this is a screen-grab of that 'weirdness' in case there is anybody out there who can point me in the right direction to getting this fixed.

vfi7uv.png

EDIT: I'm not really sure that I like the large stones anyway, so I may even end up re-doing them. I'm thinking of doing the stones in a purpose-built pattern. What do you guys think? Should I aim to re-do them or should I look to focus my attention elsewhere and come back to them at a later date?

This is a really annoying issue I have run into with UDK, and I'm suprised it still exists.
    Check out this thread which describes the annoyance:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98050
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    steppan wrote: »
    this is a screen-grab of that 'weirdness' in case there is anybody out there who can point me in the right direction to getting this fixed.

vfi7uv.png
    Build the mesh as one piece or just dont rotate it inside udk.There is no other fix for this.My floor is one big piece partly for that reason.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's hard for me to watch this thread because you guys made so much progress already and I'm still being stuck at texturing.. also my scene is not completely blocked out:(

here is some progress on my statue, it's currently 536 tris using a 512 texture.
    And the blood is experimental :)

statue_wip01.jpg
  • Strikermane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    long time lurker, first time....
    i wanted to enter this comp to get some advice and feedback. This is my interpretation on the image with my limited skills in udk...
    udk_scene_wip_by_strikermane_d3kl2jf_by_strikermane-d5uvjfi.jpg
    Now im not a 3d moddler so i have only used the assets provided by the UDK, im hoping (if i have time and can figure out blender) i can replace the core models with my own. Ironically the most enjoyable thing im finding in udk is lighting and creating materials.

Any advice on my wip would be appreciated.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    So, as I mentioned, at work we are in crazy crunch time 10hour days, 6 days a week so I havent had the most amount of time to work- but I'm putting in about 5 hours every night on top of my 10 at work and getting some cool things done.

Managed to sculpt this out tonight

1fmBbXE.jpg

Also, super crazy excited for this weekend- somehow we managed to score a 3 day weekend for the first time since I started working... I'm gonna work my butt off!

If anyone wants to Google Plus hangout while working this weekend, I'm very down.

Goodnight!
  • KyFer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my floor, I want to come back to it later and add some debris and maybe some fern like vegetation. But I think I should move onto some assets.

B8JrJ2T.jpg?1?6735
  • perrivince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perrivince polycounter lvl 11
    Haven't had too much time. Heres some zbrush work for the border around the water (and the inside wall).

hipoly_poolBoarder.jpg
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your guys are going hyper turbo speed now , there's a lot of great stuff here that makes me want to chew my arm in frustration :poly127:.

In other news.

For the early initiated in udk, here is the repost of some tutorial links

- From Mr. Christopher Albeluhn web site

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html

- From Hourences , not technically UDK more of UT3 but theres alot of stuff usefull.

http://www.hourences.com/tutorials/

Also I been trying to upload an obj of the ironguard model for everyone to use for scaling purposes , but mediafire seems to not recognize the account I created.

• Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Floors done, I will place it all in the scene tomorrow/today when I wake up again. For now more marmoset renders.NC_R09_TejayFC.jpgNC_R08_TejayFC.jpg
    NC_R07_TejayFC.jpg
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the column I worked on today. Got to shut down for the day. But I am willing to read if anyone has an idea for the bottom relief. I was thinking an insect like a beetle but not sure. Also since the plan is to import my 3ds max models into UDK I turned them into 3 sided polygons. But are the facing the correct way? Am I going to run into any issues? ...oh and will I run into issues when I bring my zbrush highpoly QUAD model into 3dsmax to bake Normal maps onto the THREE sided lowpoly model? Ok Ill be checking in on my mobile. An awesome work everyone. Drive on.
  • KyFer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my assets blockin

2sSW3BY.jpg
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    FIRST POLYCOUNT POST EVER!!! Been working on these shaders in UDK. Need to fix the tiling lines and add some dirt/moss buildup and see what that looks like. water is just a place holder. Also is anyone having problems with really bad jagged stretch lines with tessellation. Cant seem to fix it.

2aey1af.jpg

Need to get a move on if I want to finish this scene.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    noscope - tessellation is mostly for organic shapes like characters,maybe plants etc. the jagginess is because of the tessellations triangulation.you can increase the tessellation factor, but i recommend to use Parallax on "flat" surfaces.btw i never seen tessellation on floors in games.

Keep it up guys, nice works!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Need to get a move on, you guys are pulling away ^^
    propsp.jpg
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Kharn, that is fucking sexy. I'm gob smacked, honest.
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah Kharn that pillar is pretty epic lyk! :thumbup:
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    OOOOOO TEJAY AND KHARN GUNNA FIGHT IT OUT!
  • sasan_20800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, this is Sasan.
    I just saw this challenge last night and decide to get into it, I know I miss half of time but I will do my best with your advises.
    here is my first progress, I did all measuring and base on that create my object lists. today I'm going to blocking my meshes.

conceptdimentions.jpg
    objectslist.jpg
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is done. Well until I decide I have time to spare to fiddle with it a bit more. Time to move on and create the floor.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Whoa, sweet stuff guys.

Got my pool trim done, decided to throw it in UDK and test out how everything's fitting together. Realized I totally derped on making sure the corners of the pool trim fit together at a 90 degree angle! D'oh!

I also have to adjust the position of my pivot points on my meshes since things aren't quite snapping perfectly. Giving up on height maps and using parallax until I hammer out more assets. Going to work on the wall next, plan on using some design motifs based on old Indian temples.

pooltrim3.jpg

pooltrim2.jpg
  • Raindance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raindance polycounter lvl 7
    I have nothing to say, I should post some wip stuff
    ufS0duR.jpg
    This is my material setup.
    Oekad0x.png
  • Sojumekju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sojumekju polycounter lvl 5
    Beautiful work Kharn, absolutely stunning textures.
  • EnteaGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EnteaGD polycounter lvl 4
    Gobsmacked by the awesome work I am seeing! Seeing as this is a noob thread, I have a noob question - many of you are sculpting out very beautiful, high poly assets and then "baking" them into a low poly version.

My question is, does anyone have a suitable tutorial that will teach me how to do this? The programs I would be using are 3DS Max and Mudbox!

Thanks guys!
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    hello :

wall patch done !

wall01y.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get a Mayan vibe from that concept? :) Cool wall though!
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Pieru wrote: »
    hello :

wall patch done !

wall01y.jpg
    Where is the like button? :thumbup:
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Long time no update! Great shit going on in here keep it up!

Started back up working on a wall texture. Might go back to the drawing board with it though, what do you guys think?(No spec map yet) pzoHJoc.jpg
  • Parth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parth polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work pieru and kharn!!
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks !

WarrenM: Ok, no Mayan art in this artwork, however, the mix of cultures puzzled me... so, I choose to dig in only one direction. Do you think is a bad idea?

biofrost: I think your bricks are too gray. Moreover, some of them popping out, because they are too dark, compared with others.
    Did you put an tessellation on the floor?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks !

WarrenM: Ok, no Mayan art in this artwork, however, the mix of cultures puzzled me... so, I choose to dig in only one direction. Do you think is a bad idea?

biofrost: I think your bricks are too gray. Moreover, some of them popping out, because they are too dark, compared with others.
    Did you put an tessellation on the floor?

Yeah I should give them a bit of color! And yes the floor has tessellation applied to it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru

Haha, no, I don't know. I just thought it was interesting. It's a great texture!
  • Nebularium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nebularium polycounter lvl 7
    EnteaGD wrote: »
    Gobsmacked by the awesome work I am seeing! Seeing as this is a noob thread, I have a noob question - many of you are sculpting out very beautiful, high poly assets and then "baking" them into a low poly version.

My question is, does anyone have a suitable tutorial that will teach me how to do this? The programs I would be using are 3DS Max and Mudbox!

Thanks guys!

I would recommend "Old Damaged Pillar" from Eat3d collection. Although it isn't free, it shows how to make single asset from very start to finish and set everything up in UDK. It's a bit old, but pretty much all the principles apply today, maybe with few extra options.
  • FactoriesBurning
    Feeling pretty far behind. Haven't been spending as much time on this as I like.

Here's my pool border/floor textured in unity. I added some fog, and tweaked the lights. The diffuse texture is generated from scratch in photoshop (no photo sources), and the normal map was made with crazyBump.

comments and critique are welcome :)

screenshot20130216at602.png
    stone01.png
    stone01nrm.png
  • FactoriesBurning
    this looks awesome!

how do you generate your spec maps?
    hello :

wall patch done !

wall01y.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13

stone01.png
    stone01nrm.png

I think your diffuse and normal is too low res and noisy. The image looks really distorted around the edges of your bricks. How did you go about generating the texture?
  • FactoriesBurning
    sybrix wrote: »
    I think your diffuse and normal is too low res and noisy. The image looks really distorted around the edges of your bricks. How did you go about generating the texture?

it's a kind of roundabout technique I learned for making rock textures, but it involves using either fibers or difference clouds in an alpha channel and then applying lighting effects to a layer. The cracks are just painted on a separate layer with bevel and emboss on it. I may go back and hand paint the cracks and their shadows/highlights.

I really should generate high poly stone and bake the normals, but I currently only have access to mud box (instead of zbrush) which I am not super familiar with.

thanks for the feedback.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    it's a kind of roundabout technique I learned for making rock textures, but it involves using either fibers or difference clouds in an alpha channel and then applying lighting effects to a layer. The cracks are just painted on a separate layer with bevel and emboss on it. I may go back and hand paint the cracks and their shadows/highlights.

I really should generate high poly stone and bake the normals, but I currently only have access to mud box (instead of zbrush) which I am not super familiar with.

thanks for the feedback.

I would at least give it a go in mudbox...
  • perrivince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perrivince polycounter lvl 11
    Baked my textures for the border around the pool and did a few little things to make me feel like I'm progressing as I should be.

The tile texture on the floor is very much a place holder. Going to unwrap the door and pillar in the morning.

feb16_WIP.JPG

feb16__pool_CU_02_WIP.JPG

feb16__pool_CU_WIP.JPG
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Hello polycount, didn't got here for about a week and just saw the challenge. Here is my progress so far:

blockout.jpg
    render.jpg
    progress2.jpg

I stagnated because i got lost in the UDK material editor with the tessellation thingy and trying to fix the tears/seams/cracks. I found somehow a workaround if someone is interested.

Will post more soon. Cheers!
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I would at least give it a go in mudbox...
    What are you implying? :D
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    FactoriesBurning: For the specular map, I use my diffuse texture and I increase the contrast of some parts.
    It works if your diffuse hasn't dark and noisy details, soft colors are best. All details will be given by normal map and specular.
    example:

Specular / Diffuse:
    specdiffexample.jpg

Column_01:

columni.jpg
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to get the mood right.. also no idea how I'm going to approach the water, any ideas? :s

scene_wip3.jpg
    scene_wip3_2.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    question what is the measuring tool that every one is using?
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    sorry about that I must of missed the page with it I found it now thanks!
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, Pieru. I would love to know how you went about creating the cracks on your wall patch piece. I always seem to get them too blobby, yours look really sharp. Did you use alphas/stamps or did you sculpt them yourself?

Also, Mudbox or Zbrush?

Cheers. :)
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FactoriesBurning: For the specular map, I use my diffuse texture and I increase the contrast of some parts.
    It works if your diffuse hasn't dark and noisy details, soft colors are best. All details will be given by normal map and specular.
    example:

Specular / Diffuse:
    specdiffexample.jpg

Column_01:

columni.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, I think I try to put too much detail and contrast in the diffuse textures when I work, instead of letting the normal/spec maps do most of the work.