Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• Arctic Furnace
    Pieru wrote: »

Arctic Furnace: Indeed, your floor tiles are worst than your pool's ledges. I think they are too big and the specular is absent.
    Moreover, your walls seems to be too dark. Perhaps it's due to the lighting. May you post your scene in unlit or with more lights ? However you have a good base to work with.

Thanks for the feedback. Been playing around with the textures and materials for an hour. I'm glad I kept all my work in progress stuff for my floor tiles and managed to get it pretty similar to the pool edge tiles from that :) Shrunk them as well like you suggested.

As for the walls, did a bit of playing around and made it far better, but i'm a bit unsure whether to make it a brick style wall or keep it as it is... Decisions decisions.

Here's the new lit version:
    capture5lit.png

and the unlit:
    capture5unlit.png

On a side note, your sculpts are amazing :D
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Got the bake of my pool area finished, have to fix a little error tomorrow.
    Just the normal with a rough ao in Marmoset.
    Here you go.

ulJpzSQ.jpg
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Here's my progress.
    I can't say I'm totally happy with most of the assets, but for the time I spent I think it's acceptable.

I have yet to add some small rocks or pebbles as it is in the concept, work on an additional shot and then maybe polish the textures some.

You guys are posting some great stuff, I decided to pretty much stick with the concept though.

screenshot0019.jpg
  • Arctic Furnace
    frmdbl wrote: »
    Here's my progress.
    I can't say I'm totally happy with most of the assets, but for the time I spent I think it's acceptable.

I have yet to add some small rocks or pebbles as it is in the concept, work on an additional shot and then maybe polish the textures some.

You guys are posting some great stuff, I decided to pretty much stick with the concept though.

screenshot0019.jpg

Haha, I thought you had just posted the concept again there and had to do a double take. That is so close to the concept. One thing that sticks out for me is that the tree root things don't look 3D, are they just painted into the texture of the wall, or are they modelled?
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Wowza frmdbl you nailed the concept!!! A lot of people are sort of branching off into their own thing but you really stayed true to it, and it looks awesome. One thing that stands out to me is that it's very high contrast on my monitor, those pillars in the foreground are nearly black.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    @Arctic Furnace

It's modelled (unfortunately:))

@sybrix

Same here, I guess I'll fix that. Thanks for pointing out.
  • Arctic Furnace
    @frmdbl

Hmm, I think its because the bottom of the roots seem to merge in with the background, because of the similar colour. That's probably what's throwing me off.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    frmdbl wrote: »
    Here's my progress.

screenshot0019.jpg

When I scrolled by I thought this was the concept at first. Good job!

I would recommend working on the tiles for now near the pool. They looks kinda blobby and there seems to be a lot of spec on them. Other than that it looks pretty nice! Maybe add as much dirt as your wall has and the contrast to the rest of the scene too.
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    quick blockout and door attempt

mod02.png
  • SomethingFishy
    Nice work y'all.
    I've been going at this scene for about 2 weeks now and I feel it's starting to take shape.
    Let me know what y'all think.
    FirstGoodPass.JPG
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    3rd column:

column03.jpg

edit:

anddd lintel over the door:

lintel.jpg
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Well everyone's killing it here, probably not the best time to start. but I though I would try blocking it using UDK seeing as I've never used it.

I don't think I did too bad...

9bca0f8b4518d80e906a7149fc1fec57.png?1361496575
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept thread for next month coming tomorrow guys!:)
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    This month isn't finished right? :D
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    As far as I know, there's around a week left.
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    :D

btw, the end of this challenge is based on Eastern time zone at 0000 ?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The end of the challenge is either the end of the month or whenever you feel like stopping. :) There's no judging or final presentation thread or anything ... if you're having fun, rock on!
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    AHHHHH YEAAAHHHH Cool ! thanks :)
  • abaines
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry I don't have anything to contribute here. Just wanted to say its cool to see what you're all doing with the concept, its cool to see my work be taken in different directions and see how it's interpreted by different people.

Some of the levels of analysis were crazy I've never seen something that thoroughly deconstructed! Don't worry about matching it perfectly, it's cool to see other people's take on it and make it better.

Good job to everyone taking part I can't wait to see the finished articles.
  • sunny_goddess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waiting for the new challenge, as I am new here, and I only saw this amazing thread here!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The next thread is so that people can decide next month's challenge concept so we have something to make next month:)
  • Stoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy polycounter lvl 13
    I also think it's important to make a list of who's banned from next months "noob" thread. Hmmmmmm?!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really hoping to get involved in the March challenge. Finally have some time!
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    Been making a pillar today, here's my high-poly sculpt:

Any feedback on whether I need to change anything drastic before I commit to baking down would be great :)

Just a quick pointer, the pillar is made up of 3 parts: the top and bottom 'ornaments' and the main pillar structure. This is for a couple of reasons, mostly so I can have different height pillars and also if I get the chance I can make another main structure section which I can then use to break up any repetition

v66cs2.png
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    steppan wrote: »
    Been making a pillar today, here's my high-poly sculpt:

Any feedback on whether I need to change anything drastic before I commit to baking down would be great :)

Just a quick pointer, the pillar is made up of 3 parts: the top and bottom 'ornaments' and the main pillar structure. This is for a couple of reasons, mostly so I can have different height pillars and also if I get the chance I can make another main structure section which I can then use to break up any repetition

v66cs2.png

Hey,

I think your detail is too skinny; strengthen it ! Moreover, you should trim the borders of your pillar.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru wrote: »
    Hey,

I think your detail is too skinny; strengthen it ! Moreover, you should trim the borders of your pillar.

yeah I didn't want to over-do it on the details but I guess it does need toning up. Is there a brush that allows to enhance the details?

I realise I'm going to have to go over it again somewhat, but the paterns could be tricky to make deeper as it was done with a dragrec
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Stoy wrote: »
    I also think it's important to make a list of who's banned from next months "noob" thread. Hmmmmmm?!

Who would even make that list, and whats the criterias? Nobody is above improvement so banning people dosnt make much sence in my mind.

yeah I didn't want to over-do it on the details but I guess it does need toning up. Is there a brush that allows to enhance the details?

I realise I'm going to have to go over it again somewhat, but the paterns could be tricky to make deeper as it was done with a dragrec

Your best bet is probably to start over or to deepen the detail by hand, sometimes it takes more time trying to find a clever way to do something that just starting over. Also, depending on how damaged you want the hole scene to be, you want to keep in mind the diffrent scales of damage. Most of your detail is very small and wont read from afar, maybe add some massive cracks and even parts of the rock falling off. just my 2 cent :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn wrote: »
    Who would even make that list, and whats the criterias? Nobody is above improvement so banning people dosnt make much sence in my mind.
    I don't really understand why anyone would need to be banned either.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he was joking.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not really sure to what extent to go with the details. I've decided to take Kharn's advice and start from the beginning. So here's a screen to where I'm at:
    Don't want to get to far along before posting in case I'm still not headed in the right direction

23vxkb6.png
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really understand why anyone would need to be banned either.

I don't think it was meant seriously, but more of a hit towards the intermediates entering and blowing the actual 'Noobs' out of the water.
    It's nice seeing people sucseed but it makes others feel their work needs to be as good as the next guy.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Mossbros wrote: »
    I don't think it was meant seriously, but more of a hit towards the intermediates entering and blowing the actual 'Noobs' out of the water.
    It's nice seeing people sucseed but it makes others feel their work needs to be as good as the next guy.

Personally I like it, if someone does a really good job of something I can ask how and they generally share their methods which I can then apply to my own piece without having to translate it across to something completely different.
  • Arctic Furnace

I'm liking seeing more advanced people's take on the concept as well. It gives a nice insight into how they tackle the problem and give good advice. If there were no intermediate/pro people in the thread I think that it would be a bunch of people not getting any help along the way. Besides, it can be seen as something to aspire to.

Just my thoughts anyways.
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only prize in these Noob challenges is knowledge. We need the "intermediates" to partake.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I'm liking seeing more advanced people's take on the concept as well. It gives a nice insight into how they tackle the problem and give good advice. If there were no intermediate/pro people in the thread I think that it would be a bunch of people not getting any help along the way. Besides, it can be seen as something to aspire to.

Just my thoughts anyways.

I don't mind more advanced people in these either, as long as they share tips and workflow advice and don't just make "hit and run" posts. I haven't seen that behavior here though, and people who are more experienced with the tools doing this challenge have been very helpful to people who ask questions about their methods. I think that's very generous of them, and we would do well to encourage all levels to participate, as noobs and not-noobs can learn a lot from each other!
    not really sure to what extent to go with the details. I've decided to take Kharn's advice and start from the beginning. So here's a screen to where I'm at:
    Don't want to get to far along before posting in case I'm still not headed in the right direction

23vxkb6.png

This is looking a whole lot better than your first attempt. If you're going for a beat up feel, you might want to use a TrimDynamic brush and knock back the sharpness of your edges a little more. I also suggest sculpting in a different matcap like White Cavity (I forget its exact name but it's something like that). Matcaps are a personal preference though, I personally don't like red wax and like using a gray matcap that emphasizes depth and with stronger edge highlights. :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If someone does better than you, use that as fuel to get better. There's no reason you can't do the same. GO FORTH AND SLAUGHTER! :)
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8

23vxkb6.png
    Nice, the details are much more visible now, remember the important thing is how the bake looks so basicly you sculpting for the normal map. Also maybe some cracks could help, theres a brush made by Orb that I think pretty much everybody uses :
    orbart.free.fr/Orb_Cracks.ZBP
    http://vimeo.com/26399689
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix wrote: »
    This is looking a whole lot better than your first attempt. If you're going for a beat up feel, you might want to use a TrimDynamic brush and knock back the sharpness of your edges a little more. I also suggest sculpting in a different matcap like White Cavity (I forget its exact name but it's something like that). Matcaps are a personal preference though, I personally don't like red wax and like using a gray matcap that emphasizes depth and with stronger edge highlights. :)

Thanks. Yeah I do actually use that brush but I guess I don't use it as heavily as I ought to. Will give it a go at hammered out some of those edges a bit more.
    For now here's a screen of the main pillar section that I've re-done

25pu5bt.png
    Kharn wrote: »
    Nice, the details are much more visible now, remember the important thing is how the bake looks so basicly you sculpting for the normal map. Also maybe some cracks could help, theres a brush made by Orb that I think pretty much everybody uses :
    orbart.free.fr/Orb_Cracks.ZBP
    http://vimeo.com/26399689

Yeah I have all his brushes, they are really good. At first I used them all the time but for this pillar I'm trying to use them sparingly to try and improve my skills at sculpting. But I guess there's no harm in using them and then tweaking it myself. The cracks on my pillar were made using his 'Crevice' brush and then using a bit of pinch and mallet fast
  • Arctic Furnace
    Just an update on how mine is looking. I added in the broken collumn, and added in the ledge section along with door surrounds this side of the room on the right.

capture6t.png

Not sure whether I'll manage to get everything done 100% by the end of this month, but then again I did start a week late, haha.
  • Stoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy polycounter lvl 13
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread with my joke. It was more a nod to people making awesome stuff. It's been a treat to follow every day for me. I love the concept of these!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Got the pillar next to the door done, onto the round pillars!
    Qp0h5rv.png
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Far less people use CE3 than I expected/hoped for.

Have you guys not seen Crysis 3? :D
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7

Currently my scene is in UDK but i'll do also one in CE3.
  • Drachis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drachis polycounter lvl 9
    I just got started today, currently just working in blender (does the blender game engine count as in engine?) Going a bit retro with some hand painted textures, still rough, enjoy!
    noob_challenge_febuary_01.png
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the entire water plane painted, reflection/plants and all? That's a unique approach. :)
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there,
    @ Brygelsmack Ill be useing CE3 ^^

@ Stoy Damn, sorry if it was a joke, totaly missed it xD

abaines Hey, thanks for the concept :) hopefully we arent butchering it too bad ^^

Anyways, heres my door, its not textured yet Im waiting to be in engine and have the lighting closer to done, I also want to see how it reacts to the cubemap.

doorxt.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Nice work on that Pillar biofrost. Kharn, cool looking door too, how would it open though? Obviously not a requirement for the scene but I'm just curious.

Also wondering, when can we start suggesting/voting on concepts for the next challenge?
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think it might be the fact you need to have Crysis 1 or 2 installed to import assets.
  • Drachis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drachis polycounter lvl 9
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Is the entire water plane painted, reflection/plants and all? That's a unique approach. :)

I'll likely bring the lotus flowers out of the plane for some additional parallax, at the moment all of it is just painted on.
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    I think it might be the fact you need to have Crysis 1 or 2 installed to import assets.
    You need only CryENGINE 3 Free SDK. :)
    http://www.crydev.net/dm_eds/download_detail.php?id=4